• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 31, 2013

meta4

On topic of Killzone, it is sad to see the series not having as much popularity as other shooters. It is a lot betters than most of the average, run-of-the-mill shooters and it has a pretty amazing MP.

I mean just look at this GIF

ibhS2OMNvDWfPm.gif

I will be getting the VITA version of Mercenary Day 1. I got a some friends who own a VITA and we are eagerly waiting for Mercenary so that we can play MP together.

KZ2 was one of the best shooters of this gen. So freaking visceral. The art style was soo good. Grey actually done right. Hoping KZ SF recaptures some of the magic of KZ2 but so far not too optimistic on that front. KZ M reminds me of KZ2 though so super excited to play it!

It will do okay on the back of being a launch title, and it will get an easy pass from critics because it is a first generation PS4 game so any deficiencies will be overlooked. The game will play exactly like 2 and 3, lame shooting mechanics and pretty graphics with a horrible story and passable multiplayer..

Things like lame shooting mechanics and passable MP are highly subjective, but it certainly won't play the same, as the more open design of the E3 demo proved.

Edge had a decent article on it:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/killzone-shadow-fall-guerrilla-games-steps-out-of-the-corridors-and-into-open-air/

Deprive

I don't remember shotguns in Killzone being that.. that.. greedy

Of course Pikmin wasn't going to move any hardware. I don't think Nintendo has any software this year that can move Wii U hardware :\

Kurtofan

Of course Pikmin wasn't going to move any hardware. I don't think Nintendo has any software this year that can move Wii U hardware :\

Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda close to each other.

Deprive

Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda close to each other.

Mario fatigue has probably already started setting in, since there have been so many Mario games over the past 3 years.

Zelda is a HD port.

Donkey Kong might do something. I figure it has the best chance out of those 3, to move some hardware.

Kurtofan

Multiplatform titles have different entries for each platform they are on in the individual chart. That's why you see FIFA 13 on 360 at #6 and on PS3 at #20.That's also why Pikmin is 5th on the individual chart and 15th on the other one.

Individual charts are what are usually posted here, they give a better idea of how things sold and on which platform.

Thanks.

SmokyDave

Mario fatigue has probably already started setting in, since there have been so many Mario games over the past 3 years.
Someone needs to tell Argos. I was looking at their new catalogue yesterday and the 3DS section looks like the Mario section. They've even put miscellaneous Mario shit next to a heap of Mario games.

Glass Rebel

Iwata already stated that 2014 will be another strong year for 3DS, first party wise, though.

EDIT: For better accurancy

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130612/02.html

Interesting, I totally remember Iwata saying that third parties would pick up the slack next year. As far as confirmed Nintendo games go, they have Super Smash Bros.,
Mario Golf World Tour and Yoshi's New Island for 2014. Additionally, they're publishing Bravely Default and maybe Shin Megami Tensei IV as well. But aside from Kirby and maybe Tomodachi Collection: New Life I'm drawing a blank on what else they could release in 2014.

Well, there is that pickle, but they'll just have to live off Japanese sales and 1st party legacy stuff in the west.

It's not like they'll just stop making any 3DS games altogether but I don't think we'll ever see a 3DS year as big as 2013 again, in terms of first-party games:

Luigi's Mansion 2
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros.
Pokémon X & Y
Mario Party 3D
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

and the Nintendo-published Layton 6 and Inazuma Eleven 3.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Bearing in mind the difference in install bases, the title also being sold on PSN, and the momentum the 3DS has seen the last 6 weeks or so, this is astonishing.

If I was a western 3rd party, making a western game, I know which of the two I'd put it on.

Vita has been responsible for a minimum of 10% of NFS sales for as long as I can remember. It's criminal that they're not bothering with another Vita NFS.

^ shitloads of fifa13 digital codes were given out for free on amazon too. But yeah, big difference considering the userbase sizes.
Strange that, perplexing.

Or the DLC. Or to fix an annoying bug.

oi, let's see if I get the bump from DC first yeah :p

You know the same happened during the last handheld generation, with FIFA on PSP selling far more than on DS, right? Probably, 3DS SKU not having online plays a role here :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Interesting, I totally remember Iwata saying that third parties would pick up the slack next year. As far as confirmed Nintendo games go, they have Super Smash Bros.,
Mario Golf World Tour and Yoshi's New Island for 2014. Additionally, they're publishing Bravely Default and maybe Shin Megami Tensei IV as well. But aside from Kirby and maybe Tomodachi Collection: New Life I'm drawing a blank on what else they could release in 2014.

That was a wrong interpretation from Gibbo on Twitter (they guy who follows investor meetings), Iwata was talking about how first party lineup for 2014 will be strong, too.

Zelda is a HD port.

Donkey Kong might do something. I figure it has the best chance out of those 3, to move some hardware.

The first Donkey Kong returns sold about 5 million on a platform with 20 times the install base, i wouldn´t bet my money on the franchise being a massive system seller.

Vita has been responsible for a minimum of 10% of NFS sales for as long as I can remember. It's criminal that they're not bothering with another Vita NFS.

Because its been selling less than a few hundred copies each week. The engine also isn't on vita and probably isnt worth it to them to port.

Glass Rebel

That was a wrong interpretation from Gibbo on Twitter (they guy who follows investor meetings), Iwata was talking about how first party lineup for 2014 will be strong, too.

That's what I get for not checking multiple sources. Thanks.

I have to wonder if the decision to make a KZ4 came from Sony or GG. I mean i think by this point Sony must know that the franchise just doesn't have any pulling power. From GG's perspective i would have thought after 3 games they may well have had enough of the franchise but i guess they may have more of the universe they want to explore.

I feel like having them work on the franchise isn't really the best move for Sony.

The internal politics as SCEE are an absolute minefield right now. So many agendas and SCEE veterans like Andrew House and Michael Denny aren't doing anything to help the situation. Studios like Evolution and GG (bought in) are huge money sinks, but to shut them down now and back the internal development (SCE Liverpool-dead, Team Soho-Wonderbook, and SCE Cambridge-renamed) would be a massive climb down for the original tactics that led to the buyouts, essentially the current senior SCEE management would have to admit they were wrong to buy and prioritise GG and Evolution over the internal development.

That's why GG still get a free pass to do whatever the fuck they like and were given one of the few prestigious launch game spots with a lame-duck franchise.

I love that kz has its own style and gameplay, the way you worded it you want another catch all cod shooter, we don't need another. Bases are filled, cod bf and k all have there own flavour.

That's not what I said. I just said Killzone is not good. I didn't say to ape COD or BF, just that Killzone needs to die and the considerable resources being wasted on it need to be redeployed to new IP.

Things like lame shooting mechanics and passable MP are highly subjective, but it certainly won't play the same, as the more open design of the E3 demo proved.

Edge had a decent article on it:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/killzone-shadow-fall-guerrilla-games-steps-out-of-the-corridors-and-into-open-air/

Doubt it. The toolchain is exactly the same as before and they have prioritised graphics over user input, which is why there will always be lag in GG titles.

The internal politics as SCEE are an absolute minefield right now. So many agendas and SCEE veterans like Andrew House and Michael Denny aren't doing anything to help the situation. Studios like Evolution and GG (bought in) are huge money sinks, but to shut them down now and back the internal development (SCE Liverpool-dead, Team Soho-Wonderbook, and SCE Cambridge-renamed) would be a massive climb down for the original tactics that led to the buyouts, essentially the current senior SCEE management would have to admit they were wrong to buy and prioritise GG and Evolution over the internal development.

That's why GG still get a free pass to do whatever the fuck they like and were given one of the few prestigious launch game spots with a lame-duck franchise.

That's not what I said. I just said Killzone is not good. I didn't say to ape COD or BF, just that Killzone needs to die and the considerable resources being wasted on it need to be redeployed to new IP.

Doubt it. The toolchain is exactly the same as before and they have prioritised graphics over user input, which is why there will always be lag in GG titles.

You seem mad. Selling 2-3 million on one platform is just fine. Studio Liverpool wishes it had that success. Get over it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Zomg has crazy haterage for Killzone due to I can only assume a personal connection and it clouds his er... judgment a lot (agree Evolution instead of Studio Liverpool was a big wrongo moveo though).

I love the series, the unique feeling of weight makes it genuinely one of very few FPS I give a shit about. Killzone 2 MP was incredible, and Mercenary looks absolutely divine.

Zomg has crazy haterage for Killzone due to I can only assume a personal connection and it clouds his er... judgment a lot (agree Evolution instead of Studio Liverpool was a big wrongo moveo though).

I love the series, the unique feeling of weight makes it genuinely one of very few FPS I give a shit about. Killzone 2 MP was incredible, and Mercenary looks absolutely divine.
I love Killzone and feel that in terms of quality the only closure Sonys made that I disagree with is studio Liverpool, Wipeout on PS4 would've been great!

Mercenaries is by SCE Cambridge, I expect it to be glorious!

SmokyDave

Oh god I hope so. I haven't played an FPS that felt as good as Killzone 2 since... Killzone 2.

Into

Following a strong week on week boost in sales EA’s ‘FIFA 13’ (+33%) continues to climb back up the chart reaching No4.

If anyone is confused as to why it rose, it is because football fever is coming back as various leagues around Europe are about to start, i believe the Premier League starts officially 17th August.

RPGamer92

Banned

Mario World and Wind Waker and probably Donkey Kong will.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I love the series, the unique feeling of weight makes it genuinely one of very few FPS I give a shit about./QUOTE]This. I think I played the demo 50 times before I got the game. So good. Though I got bored before the end of the game, the weight is what I liked the most about K2. Felt awesome, and I'm usually not an FPS gamer.

SmokyDave

This. I think I played the demo 50 times before I got the game. So good. Though I got bored before the end of the game, the weight is what I liked the most about K2. Felt awesome, and I'm usually not an FPS gamer.
I'm in the same boat. Not big on FPS, but K2 blew me away. It was like the first time I tried a driving sim after playing arcade racers.

I was thinking of you yesterday, I had to go out and buy another 3DS, so that's +1 to next weeks chart!

jvm

Gamasutra.
It's literally just a man jumping on a goomba's head.

It's literally just a man driving a car.

It's literally just some units moving around a battlefield.

Repeat until bored.
Every video game ever is basically a computer drawing colored dots on a screen in response to a human causing changes in an electronic input device.

Pretty simple, really.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I was thinking of you yesterday, I had to go out and buy another 3DS, so that's +1 to next weeks chart!
To be honest I have a 3DS and not a Vita partly because I can share it with kids. The day I can afford a PS4 next year, I'll most likely get a Vita as well for the remote function, and you'll be the 1st one I ask for must have games to get (indie ones in particular as I follow major releases).

A month apart is close.

Why do HD remakes not count? It's a Zelda game.

3DS had MK7, 3D land and MH3G some within the span of 5 weeks. The WiiU is getting a hd remake Zelda, Mario 3d World and DK in the span of 3 months.

I never said HD ports don't count? They don't sell nearly as much as a new Zelda would.

test_account

XP-39C²
It will do okay on the back of being a launch title, and it will get an easy pass from critics because it is a first generation PS4 game so any deficiencies will be overlooked. The game will play exactly like 2 and 3, lame shooting mechanics and pretty graphics with a horrible story and passable multiplayer.

GG have been hammering away with the same formula for three games and made no impact, I very much doubt a fourth entry will.
I think its too early to say much about that, especially if the story is horrible. What do you mean with shooting mechanics by the way? The controls?

The multiplayer will probably be great, that is my guess. Killzone 2 multiplayer is one of my most played online games in this generation.

Miles X

Xbox gamers hotly anticipating GTAV, how come GTAIV is so high up the chart (both versions for Xbox) but PS3 versions nowhere to be seen?

Yeshua

Nintendo fans actually believe this shit? Did the almighty Nintendo develop SMT4 too now?

SMT4 has been released in PAL land ? Not yet. Also your forgetting an important part is "the last few months" and frankly outside of Project X Zone which is extremely niche the last worth 3rd party release was in march with Castlevania and Monster Hunter.

Dragon

Banned
Xbox gamers hotly anticipating GTAV, how come GTAIV is so high up the chart (both versions for Xbox) but PS3 versions nowhere to be seen?

Obviously because no one is going to buy GTAV for the PS3. Right? (I'm not gonna buy it until it's confirmed it's not shit technically).

Vita Killzone looks incredible !.

I wonder if the UK will be the first country that Nintendo pulls the WiiU plug on, wasn't the UK the first country to fire sale Gamecube ?, I remember getting the MK Platinum pack for like £100 about 18 months after the console released.

Bundy

Banned
(agree Evolution instead of Studio Liverpool was a big wrongo moveo though)

I love Killzone and feel that in terms of quality the only closure Sonys made that I disagree with is studio Liverpool, Wipeout on PS4 would've been great!
Actually, the decision was absolutely right.
Do you even realize how big Studio Liverpool was?
Now look at their output this gen.
If you talk about "money sink", look at Studio Liverpool.
And now look at GG and Evolution and their output.

You can be a WipeOut fan all you want, but the closure was a good decision (if you think about $$$)

Top Bottom