• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 33, 2013

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
tumblr_m4htuajT6g1rpta58.gif

why do UK gamers have such terrible taste :(

I think Pikmin 3 just coming out has something to do with it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I am curios about the Splinter Cell Blacklist share on Wii U. Will it go above the 1-2% that we regularly see for COD?

edit: beaten like a W101 turtle.

It does if you consider that there could've been 4 different versions of Disney Infinity and other newly released multiplats charting higher than it. I was wrong this time though.

You have a point there, but it would take more than 2 big sellers to produce that and never happened for a Wii U game until now. Besides the top 3-4 all the multiplats are usually splitting in such a way on the different platforms that are going way lower in the individual chart.

I don´t see any of these games except Disney Infinity charting and that´s even behind W 101.

It is not about selling more than W101, it's about splitting the base. And the money allocated to games.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It will be interesting to see how it stacked up against the other versions when the Guardian splits go up.

if miiverse is any indication, it's less than half the size of w101

Sendou

Nintendo is the one that funded that budget, so it's not a big deal for Platinum. They still get paid for the project no matter how it ends up selling.

It's a good question what Nintendo was thinking giving the game such a big budget. Oh well at least the game is amazing.

D-e-f-

Banned
I don´t see any of these games except Disney Infinity charting and that´s even behind W 101.

I think that was his point. Potential buyers split across all of these games results in tiny splashes for all of them and amounts to none of them doing well on their own.

I am curios about the Splinter Cell Blacklist share on Wii U. Will it go above the 1-2% that we regularly see for COD?

edit: beaten like a W101 turtle.

It is not about selling more than W101, it's about splitting the base. And the money allocated to games.

How can these games split the base when they sell almost nothing?

I think that was his point. Potential buyers split across all of these games results in tiny splashes for all of them and amounts to none of them doing well on their own.

The sales would be horrible even if you count all games together, the games not charting are probably selling in the hundreds.

The sales would be horrible even if you count all games together, the games not charting are probably selling in the hundreds.

I'm not sure what the expectation was/is. Sales are abysmal and now they've improved to awful. Did anyone expect some kind of rocket power boost with Pikmin, W101, Splinter Cell and Disney Infinity over 1-2 months?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure I saw a couple of adverts on terrestrial TV for this game.

I'm not surprised it bombed though. It looks a complicated frenetic game and the characters don't have a lot of charm or are appealing. It does't look very accessible.

Please tell me you haven't touched the game. It's complicated and frenetic allright, I'll give you that. And it's not very accessible if you are impatient or suck at gaming.

New IP, little handholding, complicated and rewarding gameplay, fantastic bosses, everything gamers want and refuse to buy! :p

guggnichso

Banned
Urghs, Splinter Cell U didn't even chart on the individual formats list. Damn shame, as I enjoy it very much on that console.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

If you put together W101, Disney Infinity, Pikmin 3 and Splinter Cell (all of them being in the value chart) I am sure you get at list a top 10 position in the individual chart.

It's a good question what Nintendo was thinking giving the game such a big budget. Oh well at least the game is amazing.

Well, we don't really know just how big it was. So it may not be as big as some instantly think. But even still, I can understand why Nintendo would do it. Platinum's games are known for appealing to a hardcore community even though they don't sell a lot. And by getting it as an exclusive as well as Bayonetta 2 they probably thought that they could pull some of those people in. I think a bigger question is why would they give them their biggest budget but then turn around and do such a mediocre job of advertising the game?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Please tell me you haven't touched the game. It's complicated and frenetic allright, I'll give you that. And it's not very accessible if you are impatient or suck at gaming.

New IP, little handholding, complicated and rewarding gameplay, fantastic bosses, everything gamers want and refuse to buy! :p

I've tried the demo. I thought it was okay. Not my type of game though.

But my comments are really about the perception of the tv advert to the general public.
It's lacks the cuteness and recognition of Pikmin 3. It isn't an established franchise. It's a game on a Nintendo system that doesn't have any Nintendo characters in it.

I'm just saying I can see why the general public didn't 'get it'.

Sendou

Well, we don't really know just how big it was. So it may not be as big as some instantly think. But even still, I can understand why Nintendo would do it. Platinum's games are known for appealing to a hardcore community even though they don't sell a lot. And by getting it as an exclusive as well as Bayonetta 2 they probably thought that they could pull some of those people in. I think a bigger question is why would they give them their biggest budget but then turn around and do such a mediocre job of advertising the game?

Yeah I didn't mean to imply the budget was huge. Compared to some other Platinum games it just might hard to see what was so expensive about this particular game. Developing on unfinished hardware? Marketing has been absolutely pathetic like you could expect from Nintendo. I have seen zero ads about the game, on the Internet or otherwise (well I guess you could count Nintendo Directs).

Top Bottom