• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 39, 2016

Shocked to see Fifa 17 sell more on PS4 given the marketing / bundles for X1.

This happens all the time. MS should be happy their exclusive racing game came second to the mighty Fifa, because that's clearly what is driving sales at the moment. It will be interesting to see what Gears does to hardware sales,

gamz

This happens all the time. MS should be happy their exclusive racing game came second to the mighty Fifa, because that's clearly what is driving sales at the moment. It will be interesting to see what Gears does to hardware sales,

I think with FH3 and Gears 4 plus the new Slim it'll do very well.

I'm really curious about Sept numbers.

I was surprised to see how weak Sony's lineup is this Christmas on the first party front. It seems like Sony have been betting on TLG and PSVR, but I really think that wont have a popular impact on the general audience the same way Gears and Forza would.

Alo0oy

Banned
I was surprised to see how weak Sony's lineup is this Christmas on the first party front. It seems like Sony have been betting on TLG and PSVR, but I really think that wont have a popular impact on the general audience the same way Gears and Forza would.

Forza is not going to have any impact whatsoever, it's a very niche franchise.

You'd think after 3 years straight of the same silly argument, people would realise that this doesn't matter. Microsoft had Halo 5 last Christmas and yet it didn't change a thing.

Besides, Gears is a big question mark and Forza is hardly a system seller.

I suppose I'm just projecting. I have had a ps4 since launch and swore off the Xbone since launch, but it really feels like Sony are more than a little complacent recently. Whether or not the average consumer feels as I do -especially given Sony's aggressive pricing strategies- is another matter entirely. It would be nice to see Sony and Microsoft duke it out some more, because it seems like Sony have already decided they've won and it's only MS putting any effort in.

Elios83

Forza has never been a system seller, the genre is niche.
The first week sales again prove the point.
Gears will definetly be bigger but Halo 5 was even bigger and didn't do much in the end for the sales of the console.

lostcauz

Gears will definetly be bigger but Halo 5 was even bigger and didn't do much in the end for the sales of the console.

I'd argue that while Forza motorsport is a niche product, Horizon certainly isn't.

First week sales prove a point? What

I suppose I'm just projecting. I have had a ps4 since launch and swore off the Xbone since launch, but it really feels like Sony are more than a little complacent recently. Whether or not the average consumer feels as I do -especially given Sony's aggressive pricing strategies- is another matter entirely. It would be nice to see Sony and Microsoft duke it out some more, because it seems like Sony have already decided they've won and it's only MS putting any effort in.

They've released 9 first party games so far this year (11 if you count the Heavy Rain and Gravity Rush remasters), have 6 VR games lined up for PSVR's launch and have 2 more AAA games coming out by the end of the year. That's complacency?

Maybe I'm biased but it often seems like there are far higher expectations for Sony than there are for Microsoft.

EGM1966

Well th e issue is that for quite a while the market has been pretty decided.

WW Sony is well ahead and remains ahead even in US and UK (although gap isn't too big in UK IIRC MS is behind and focused on pushing out exclusives in known IP and the odd timed or deal based exclusive.

In short it's not a market where they're going to be at each others throats short term fighting for your business. MS maintains its FIFA deal (which is probably really needs TBH as the sales splits tend to show). Both maintain a decent level of advertising I'd argue - I've often see an XB1 ad on TV follows almost right away by a PS4 ad.

Both are also looking forward more - Sony to PS4 and PSVR and MS to Scorpio. I wouldn't expect serious fireworks between the two until next year when Scorpio drops (and whatever MS plan for VR is comes out more).

That said in UK I'm not sure it matters short term. It always feels competitive for deals/prices anyway. Also with exclusives simply mattering much less now (I know this hurts some but its a fact) vs big multi-platform franchises there's another market reason competition doesn't seem as fierce: both are offering the main big titles and differentiation is down to smaller niche genre titles and the odd big IP release.

TLDR: the market has changed and currently isn't a market where you're going to see furious competition between platform holders in PAL region.

Fdkn

They've released 9 first party games so far this year (11 if you count the Heavy Rain and Gravity Rush remasters), have 6 VR games lined up for PSVR's launch and have 2 more AAA games coming out by the end of the year. That's complacency?

Maybe I'm biased but it often seems like there are far higher expectations for Sony than there are for Microsoft.

None of those 9 games were released on the holyday season and the 2 that are coming are... japanese, eugh.

We have this every year

Alo0oy

Banned
I'd argue that while Forza motorsport is a niche product, Horizon certainly isn't.

First week sales prove a point? What

Forza Horizon's sales aren't any different from Sony or Nintendo mid-budget offerings, which they seemingly release every month or so.

If Sony don't have a tentpole AAA 1st party exclusive then it's game over man./s

They've fucked up their holiday releases in general but it doesn't really matter with the deluge of 3rd party stuff that takes over.

Plus there's that whole other 8 month period that they are releasing games.

Wow, check out those Uncharted 4 legs in Germany. I say legs because the game came out months ago yet it's still in the top 3, hence the legs, because it's been hanging around the charts for a long time, and when a game does that it has legs, which Uncharted 4 unequivocally has. Legs.
lol

lol

Kayant

None of those 9 games were released on the holyday season and the 2 that are coming are... japanese, eugh.

We have this every year
Yes and these are still "Games" right...

I don't get why they need send big first party titles when the big third party titles are also coming in the same period. It's not like many people are going to be able to play all the third party titles they want this holiday yet alone thinking about adding exclusives to the equation.

Wow, check out those Uncharted 4 legs in Germany. I say legs because the game came out months ago yet it's still in the top 3, hence the legs, because it's been hanging around the charts for a long time, and when a game does that it has legs, which Uncharted 4 unequivocally has. Legs.

Lmao

Edit: And yea, I was super optimistic with my FH3 prediction. But the game still had a great opening.

lostcauz

Forza Horizon's sales aren't any different from Sony or Nintendo mid-budget offerings, which they seemingly release every month or so.

So you know how much it sold based on its position behind the million plus seller in Fifa? Ok.

gamz

But the slim itself is a system seller packed in with Forza or anything else is a bonus.

eFKac

You one of those who only buy games in the last 3 months of the year?

novabolt

Wow, people hate on anything MS related. When was the last time Sony released something around the same time of Fifa?

I remember reading that the Forza series is a monthly WW million seller. Forza 6 was on MS list of games that passed the 1 million mark. Forza sales are far better than those mid sized offerings you are alluding to.

Alo0oy

Banned
I remember reading that the Forza series is a monthly WW million seller. Forza 6 was on MS list of games that passed the 1 million mark. Forza sales are far better than those mid sized offerings you are alluding to.

Those ~1 million sellers are exactly what I'm alluding to. They've never had a major impact on hardware.

lostcauz

Wow, people hate on anything MS related. When was the last time Sony released something around the same time of Fifa?

Forza horizon 2 was just outside the top 20 best selling games in 2014, I don't know why the series is being compared to mid sized games.

Ratchet and clank did 36,000 - 39,000 units (I think) first week when it came out this year so its not comparable to horizon and that would probably be Sony's biggest mid tier release this year.

novabolt

Forza horizon 2 was just outside the top 20 best selling games in 2014, I don't know why the series is being compared to mid sized games.

Ratchet and clank did 36,000 - 39,000 units (I think) first week when it came out this year so its not comparable to horizon and that would probably be Sony's biggest mid tier release this year.

I'm happy for R+C, that game deserves success after that awful movie. I guess hate and delusion is what's need to feed these fools.

noobie

Banned
Compared to the VR headset? Yeah.

Anyway Sony always had weak Fall (1st party wise) and they always managed to win the holiday.

always is a bold claim.

14 (10) UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

17 (12) NO MAN'S SKY (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

19 (29) RATCHET & CLANK (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
Some good legs from Sony Software especially R&C.. Are there any bundles?

Alo0oy

Banned

You're forgetting that Europe/PAL is more than just the UK.

novabolt

Yeah we (kinda) know. We know it's 12% more than last year entry which was between 50K-70k... So 56K>FH3>78K

You ain't even using precise data, lolz.

qiebwv.jpg

Only joking, Chobel.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
8BZvc.png

Italy WEEK 38

Top 10 console
01. Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 (PS4, Konami)
02. NBA 2K17 (PS4, 2K)
03. Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 (PS3, Konami)
04. Uncharted 4: Fine di un Ladro (PS4, Sony)
05. Destiny The Collection (PS4, Activision)
06. Yo-Kai Watch (3DS, Nintendo)
07. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Rockstar)
08. Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4, Sony)
09. F1 2016 Limited Edition (PS4, Codemasters)
10. Uncharted 4: Fine di un Ladro Special Edition (PS4, Sony)

Top 10 PC
01. Overwatch (Blizzard)
02. Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 (Konami)
03. The Sims 4 (EA)
04. Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar)
05. Football Manager 2016 Limited Edition (SEGA)
06. NBA 2K17 (2K)
07. F1 2016 Limited Edition (Codemasters)
08. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void (Activision Blizzard)
09. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft)
10. Diablo III (Activision Blizzard)

Alo0oy

Banned
Because I'm using the data we have available.

If your point is that the PS4 has sold more consoles across Europe compared to the XBO, no shit.

The original point was that Gears is the only big seller from the HD twins. You're dragging this argument for way too long. Nothing in that statement is inaccurate. Neither Forza nor TLG are big sellers.

Jumeira

Banned
You're forgetting that Europe/PAL is more than just the UK.

His response was based on your assertion of UK performance. Up until this point all FH sales discussion has been based on UK numbers,because thats all we have, why are you bringing in PAL region all of a sudden?

The original point was that Gears is the only big seller from the HD twins. You're dragging this argument for way too long. Nothing in that statement is inaccurate. Neither Forza nor TLG are big sellers.

Its not middling either.

Chobel

8BZvc.png

Italy WEEK 38

Top 10 console
01. Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 (PS4, Konami)
02. NBA 2K17 (PS4, 2K)
03. Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 (PS3, Konami)
04. Uncharted 4: Fine di un Ladro (PS4, Sony)
05. Destiny The Collection (PS4, Activision)
06. Yo-Kai Watch (3DS, Nintendo)
07. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Rockstar)
08. Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4, Sony)
09. F1 2016 Limited Edition (PS4, Codemasters)
10. Uncharted 4: Fine di un Ladro Special Edition (PS4, Sony)

Top 10 PC
01. Overwatch (Blizzard)
02. Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 (Konami)
03. The Sims 4 (EA)
04. Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar)
05. Football Manager 2016 Limited Edition (SEGA)
06. NBA 2K17 (2K)
07. F1 2016 Limited Edition (Codemasters)
08. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void (Activision Blizzard)
09. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft)
10. Diablo III (Activision Blizzard)

Damn! That's some good legs for UC4.

Xater

a reasonably high entrance for the XCOM 2 console version, Firaxis can't have expected more. Though numbers are probably still low for 5th place this week and not comparable at all to next month.

Did these ports even get any marketing at all? I only remember the announcement trailer for these versions and that's it. Zero pre-release footage, barely any coverage from gaming outlets. I got it day 1 because I was waiting for this, but for anyone not informed it might as well still be a PC exclusive.

gtj1092

His response was based on your assertion of UK performance. Up until this point all FH sales discussion has been based on UK numbers,because thats all we have, why are you bringing in PAL region all of a sudden?

Its not middling either.

One million sales WW is middling nowadays. Understand no circumstances would those sales be considered big and they aren't Bomba status. Just somewhere in the middle albeit on the lower end for a AAA game thus middling.

Unless you all some secret data showing different sales numbers for the Forza franchise the rest of us aren't privy to I don't know what you're arguing.

Top Bottom