• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 44

nli10

iceatcs said:
When is the final day for count? Sunday?

EDIT: if so, it will be 6 days for GTA4 on week 1

UK Charts run from Sunday am to Saturday pm and are published on the Monday.

New games on a Friday have 2 days sales, but except for during the holidays these two days have around 75-90%% of the sales so it's a moot point.

DS games tend to do well in their 2nd Week - Layton will stay high next week. And deservedly so. Most buyers are female 25-40, followed by the young adult DS crowd. Low attach rate - seems that people found their game they'd been waiting for after Brain Training.

I forget what next weeks big games are?!

nli10 said:
I forget what next weeks big games are?!
Checking the release calendar I see nothing significant. Not really surprising given no-one wants to go near Gears. :lol

The week after we have CoD and Mirror's Edge.

FF_VIII

Banned
pswii60 said:
This week's charts:
http://www.charttrack.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

No surprise at #1, but absolutely fantastic to see LBP @ #2. Shockingly poor performance for Motorstorm 2 though, especially considering the success of the first.

EDIT: Also US GAFers may be interested to see how badly Guitar Hero does over here. We're not in to all your heavy metal music, you see. GH needs to be localised in the style of Singstar, but unfortunately it ships with the same tracklisting worldwide.

Good for Fifa.

Konami need to give is a real next-gen PES, not just PS2HD. Game needs an overhaul, badly.

pswii60

FF_VIII said:
Good for Fifa.

Konami need to give is a real next-gen PES, not just PS2HD. Game needs an overhaul, badly.
Couldn't agree more.

PES's sucess fully depended on the quality of the game as it didn't have a license. Now that's gone, its success is dependent totally on people like me who have just grown so accustomed to the control scheme etc that it's difficult to go back to FIFA. But I will if they don't ramp up the quality dramatically before next year.

pswii60

Psychotext said:
Checking the release calendar I see nothing significant. Not really surprising given no-one wants to go near Gears. :lol

The week after we have CoD and Mirror's Edge.
Wii Music this Friday! At this rate Nintendo fans will be the only people left on Earth as the rest of the world will have slit their wrists after witnessing the new Wii Music UK TV advert.

pswii60 said:
Wii Music this Friday! At this rate Nintendo fans will be the only people left on Earth as the rest of the world will have slit their wrists after witnessing the new Wii Music UK TV advert.
I don't ever wish games failure... but... yeah.

pswii60 said:

I laughed at Gaf's rage against Wii music, but after seeing that advert, it's hard not to sympathise.

Anyone got a link to the Wii Music advert?

I've seen the Girls Aloud ad, the Layton ad and also the Patrick Stewart one. I won't hear a bad word said against Captain P though...

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
If you really don't understand the difference, "domination" is when you're winning overall and for months on end. DS is dominating PSP. PS2 dominated GC and Xbox.
If i remember correctly, i mean to have seen people quoting X numbers of Wii and/or DS games that charted within the UK Top 40 and then written something like "domination". The way i understand this is that people want to show that Nintendo is having alot of titles in the UK Top 40, and by this Nintendo are dominating, not only looking at the big picture, but for that/those weeks as well, but i could be wrong of course.

Nintendo is definitely dominating when you look at the big picture, but there can be domination from week to week as well. It is in my opinion not wrong to say domination if (insert system here) should have relatively many more titles compared to (insert another system here). I guess it all depends on which level people are thinking of when they say domination, if it is when you look at the big picture and/or if it is domination just for one (or several) week :)

nli10

pswii60 said:

Oops!

The one week I think nothing is on the horizon is WiiMusic & WOW Lich King! Two completely differnet but huge titles.

Annecdotally we decided not to mention Wii Music to the old folks and just to get it them for Xmas as a surprise. Not only have they seen the adverts and talked about it but they have gone from asking for it for Xmas to telling us they are probably picking it up before hand for parties. I'll try theirs before deciding - no accessory means unlikely to sell out.

I think the initial apathy of Japan is not shared by Europe (and I still say it will hit a million by the end of Golden Week in JP).

spwolf

test_account said:
If i remember correctly, i mean to have seen people quoting X numbers of Wii and/or DS games that charted within the UK Top 40 and then written something like "domination". The way i understand this is that people want to show that Nintendo is having alot of titles in the UK Top 40, and by this Nintendo are dominating, not only looking at the big picture, but for that/those weeks as well, but i could be wrong of course.

Nintendo is definitely dominating when you look at the big picture, but there can be domination from week to week as well. It is in my opinion not wrong to say domination if (insert system here) should have relatively many more titles compared to (insert another system here). I guess it all depends on which level people are thinking of when they say domination, if it is when you look at the big picture and/or if it is domination just for one (or several) week :)

he well understands what you are trying to tell him, he just does not want to admit it :lol
Good explanation too...

Jokeropia

^
LOL
test_account said:
How can you tell whether they were taking the big picture into consideration or not? Nintendo dominates the market, having lots of titles in the charts is simply an illustration of that.
Dominate:

1: rule , control <an empire that dominated the world>
2: to exert the supreme determining or guiding influence on <the ambition that has dominated his life>
3: to overlook from a superior elevation or command because of superior height or position <a hill that dominates the town>
4 a: to be predominant in <sugar maples dominate the forest> b: to have a commanding or preeminent place or position in <name brands dominate the market>

Using any of the definitions above, which makes more sense? To dominate a particular week, or to dominate the industry/market? The latter was even used as an example. It really seems to me that the only time it's apt to use "dominate" regarding only a small part of something is when you're being sarcastic.

donny2112 said:
UK_wk44.png

And including the # of entries ...

UK_wk44_both.png

I haven't been able to visit the PAL threads lately, and the surprising thing to me is the DS's decline. As more "big" hardcore 360/PS3 games get released at the same time, the nature of the weighted chart favors one or both surpassing the Wii for the week and then declining. The DS's slide is very unexpected, on my part.

Any reasons?

Widespread use of R4 cards, they are absolutely everywhere. I've heard situation is so bad that some publishers/distributors cutting their losses early - before Christmas - and discounting DS games to £2 a unit.

spwolf

Jokeropia said:
^
LOLHow can you tell whether they were taking the big picture into consideration or not? Nintendo dominates the market, having lots of titles in the charts is simply an illustration of that.
Dominate:

2: to exert the supreme determining or guiding influence on <the ambition that has dominated his life>
3: to overlook from a superior elevation or command because of superior height or position <a hill that dominates the town>
4 a: to be predominant in <sugar maples dominate the forest> b: to have a commanding or preeminent place or position in <name brands dominate the market>

Using any of the definitions above, which makes more sense? To dominate a particular week, or to dominate the industry/market? The latter was even used as an example. It really seems to me that the only time it's apt to use "dominate" regarding only a small part of something is when you're being sarcastic.

particular week? or month? or months at the end? :lol

When it comes to software sales, to say that Wii was dominating charts few months ago is the same as saying that 360/PS3 are dominating charts this month.

And as you were saying Domination few months ago, then we can say Domination right now as well.

Or are you changing the standards of what "domination" means these days? :lol

Jokeropia

Did you at all understand what I wrote?
spwolf said:
particular week?
No, that's too small a sample.
spwolf said:
or month?
Still too small, I'd say.
spwolf said:
or months at the end? :lol
Do you mean "months on end"? (I.e. several months in a row.) If so, then we might be getting there. It's rare for a system to dominate several months in a row and not dominate overall as well.
spwolf said:
When it comes to software sales, to say that Wii was dominating charts few months ago is the same as saying that 360/PS3 are dominating charts this month.
I say that Wii is dominating the market, now as well as months ago.

Look at the weighted charts btw, if you want to make any classification on just the last few weeks as opposed to the market overall or even the year to date, it would be that no one is dominating.
spwolf said:
And as you were saying Domination few months ago, then we can say Domination right now as well.
See above.
spwolf said:
Merriam-Webster. You may have heard of them.

f@luS

More than a member.
stop thinking that UK = PAL. Jeez some of you always seems to forget. Fifa may crush PES in UK but overall, i think that PES will still sell more in Pal land (and thus worldwide, thanks japan) than Fifa (and im not that happy, i havent bought PES)

f@luS said:
i think that PES will still sell more in Pal land (and thus worldwide, thanks japan) than Fifa (and im not that happy, i havent bought PES)
I really doubt it will this time... it might worldwide because of Japan though.

First time I've seen the advert (I live in UK) - I don't see what's so bad about it. Gets across the features well, targets the groups it should (families / groups of friends) and the like. I was expecting a car crash from the comments above - I mean, what did you expect from an advert for Wii Music? The folk that are likely going to buy it will probably be doing exactly the same as the people in the advert. I'm not going to buy it and the advert hasn't changed my mind on that - I certainly don't want to kill myself after watching it though.

reminder

2up4lc5.png

Germany
Week 45, 2008

01 (__) [PS3] LittleBigPlanet (Sony Computer Ent.)
02 (04) [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)
03 (05) [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
04 (__) [PS2] WWE SmackDown vs. RAW 2009 (THQ)
05 (02) [PS3] Far Cry 2 (Ubisoft)
06 (__) [PS3] WWE SmackDown vs. RAW 2009 (THQ)
07 (03) [PS2] FIFA 09 (Electronic Arts)
08 (__) [PS3] Fallout 3 (Ubisoft)
09 (06) [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
10 (01) [PS2] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
reminder said:
2up4lc5.png

Germany
Week 45, 2008

Did Germany get the x360 price cut?

farnham

Banned
lochnesssnowman said:
First time I've seen the advert (I live in UK) - I don't see what's so bad about it. Gets across the features well, targets the groups it should (families / groups of friends) and the like. I was expecting a car crash from the comments above - I mean, what did you expect from an advert for Wii Music? The folk that are likely going to buy it will probably be doing exactly the same as the people in the advert. I'm not going to buy it and the advert hasn't changed my mind on that - I certainly don't want to kill myself after watching it though.
its just blind hate at this point

Weisheit

spwolf said:
particular week? or month? or months at the end? :lol

Jesus, are you really this desperate?

The Wii has dominated this chart all year. It had 16 games chart last week, 17 the week before. Please explain how that adds up to the Wii dominating "months ago"? Do they refer to days as months in your country? The "Queens Math" perhaps?

Moonstone

Spiegel said:
Gears is banned in Germany.

Good to see LBP selling well

Gears2 is not banned yet ;) It didn't get released.

But poor entry for Fallout 3. TV adverts are sponsored by MS and advertize only the 360 version. But I guess most bought it here for PC. It entered pc charts last week on spot 4 . But there was Fußballmanager and C&C released that week as well, which are huge over here.

Which leads me to my suggestion: could we include german pc charts (or any other pc charts if available) in the PAL Charts threads ?

test_account

XP-39C²
spwolf said:
he well understands what you are trying to tell him, he just does not want to admit it :lol
Good explanation too...

Jokeropia said:
How can you tell whether they were taking the big picture into consideration or not? Nintendo dominates the market, having lots of titles in the charts is simply an illustration of that.
I cant, that is why i wrote "but i could be wrong of course" since i dont know if they are taking the big picture into consideration or not :) I know, i wrote that myself, that Nintendo is dominating when looking at the big picture.

Jokeropia said:
Dominate:

I think number 4 fits the best description if you talk about the market and branding situation if you are looking at the bigger picture. As i said, in the bigger picture Nintendo dominates the console market, there is no doubt about that. What i wanted to say is that it is ok to use the word "domiation" even if we are talking just about a week.

There are different grades (or what i shall say) of domination. To take an example from the 4 definitions you mention: if an empire ruled the world for 1 week, while another empire ruled the world for 100 years, both would still fit the defintion of "dominate" that you mention. The defintion does not say anything about how long they had to rule to be able to fit the description of "dominate". It is the same with weekly charts in my opinion. You can dominate for one or several of weeks, you can dominate for many many weeks and/or you can dominate while looking at the big picture.

You might also have heard that i.e sports commentators have used the word "dominate" during a match if one of the team is winning alot over the other team. The team that is winning alot (winning alot during that one match that is, not winning alot in general) might get in the last place in the serie (if we are talking about i.e soccer), but they did dominate that particular match. I dont think that the commentators are being sarcastic then, eventhough that they knew that the team that was winning alot are usually losing their matches.

It depends in what context the domination is happening. For example "Nintendo is dominating the console market in general" and "Microsoft and/or Sony dominated the Top 40 UK chart in Week 45". Do you see what i mean? :)

Of course, you can always assume that peoplare are being sarcastic when they are using the word "domination" about a one or a few weeks, because looking at the big picture there isnt domination. But as you said yourself above here, how can you tell whether they were taking the big picture into consideration or not when people are using the word "domination" about one or a few weeks of sales? :)

EDIT: I can add that i think i know what you mean, but please correct me if i'm wrong. You ment that Spwolf's "domination" comment was a "counter comment" (or what i shall call it) to the people who have been saying "Nintendo domination" for some time, and that is why you commented on Spwolf's comment saying that DS dominated over PSP and that PS2 dominated over Gamecube and Xbox etc. to show that the "Nintendo domination" comments were aimed at the bigger picture in the gaming marked and not just about the weeks were Nintendo had most titles in the charts.

For all that i know, Spwolf's comment could have been a "counter comment", but also for all that i know, Spwolf's comment could also only have been aimed at this week's of sales when he mentioned "domination". The only way we could know for sure is if Spwolf is saying what he ment or not. Therefor i just wanted to comment on that the word "domination" can be used for only 1 week of sales too :)

Moonstone

Spiegel said:
That's weird. Are they censoring the game?

No censored version. Gears1 wasn't released either. Epic didn't want do make a censored version. And it's not inline with MS' policy to release titles that got no USK sign, which the USk refused.

Verve

surprised at the wrestling games performance... wouldn't have thought there's a big fanbase here in germany.

gtj1092

test_account said:

I cant, that is why i wrote "but i could be wrong of course" since i dont know if they are taking the big picture into consideration or not :) I know, i wrote that myself, that Nintendo is dominating when looking at the big picture.

Number 4 fits the best description if you talk about the market and branding situation. As i said, in the bigger picture Nintendo dominates the console market, there is no doubt about that. What i wanted to say is that it is ok to use the word "domiation" even if we are talking just about a week.

There are different grades (or what i shall say) of domination. To take an example from the 4 definitions you mention: if an empire ruled the world for 1 week, while another empire ruled the world for 100 years, both would still fit the defintion of "dominate" that you mention. The defintion does not say anything about how long they had to rule to be able to fit the description of "dominate". It is the same with weekly charts in my opinion. You can dominate for one or several of weeks, you can dominate for many many weeks and/or you can dominate while looking at the big picture.

You might also have heard that i.e sports commentators have used the word "dominate" during a match if one of the team is winning alot. The team that is winning alot might get in the last place in the serie (if we are talking about i.e soccer), but they did dominate that particular match. I dont think that the commentators are being sarcastic then, eventhough that they knew that the team that was winning alot are usually losing their matches.

Of course, you can always assume that peoplare are being sarcastic when they are using the word "domination" about a one or a few weeks, because looking at the big picture there isnt domination. But as you said yourself above here, how can you tell whether they were taking the big picture into consideration or not when people are using the word "domination" about one or a few weeks of sales? :)

I wouldn't argue with these people. Its the 'N' way or no way for them. They will fight you to the death.

test_account

XP-39C²
gtj1092 said:
I wouldn't argue with these people. Its the 'N' way or no way for them. They will fight you to the death.
I just wanted to say my point what i ment with domination, that it is ok (atleast in my opinion) to use the word "domination" even if it is just a week's sales, since there are different grades (or what i shall say) when in comes dominating, and in what context the domination is happening, weekly domination and/or looking-at-the-bigger-picture domination :)

spwolf

reminder said:
2up4lc5.png

Germany
Week 45, 2008

LBP only #1? bah... pretty dissapointing...

Jokeropia

gtj1092 said:
:lol

FYI, I own every major console since the NES generation bar PS3 and I'm just keeping up this particular argument because I think it's fun.
test_account said:
I posit that you don't "rule" the market by winning one week of sales, even during the week in question.
test_account said:
You might also have heard that i.e sports commentators have used the word "dominate" during a match if one of the team is winning alot over the other team. The team that is winning alot (winning alot during that one match that is, not winning alot in general) might get in the last place in the serie (if we are talking about i.e soccer), but they did dominate that particular match. I dont think that the commentators are being sarcastic then, eventhough that they knew that the team that was winning alot are usually losing their matches.

It depends in what context the domination is happening. For example "Nintendo is dominating the console market in general" and "Microsoft and/or Sony dominated the Top 40 UK chart in Week 45". Do you see what i mean? :)
I dunno. A football match is generally still at least 1/30 of an entire series, whereas a week is ~1/312 of a typhical console generation. It's like "dominating" a few minutes in the second half while still losing the match overall.

In either case, it's certainly not the "same thing" as people calling domination when Wii scored ~70 on the weighted charts with 360 and PS3 hanging around at ~10.
test_account said:
For all that i know, Spwolf's comment could have been a "counter comment", but also for all that i know, Spwolf's comment could also only have been aimed at this week's of sales when he mentioned "domination". The only way we could know for sure is if Spwolf is saying what he ment or not.
You mean like this?
spwolf said:
I said it 2 weeks ago, if you guys could write "domination" million times over and over few months ago, we can do it so now as well.
spwolf said:

spwolf

Jokeropia said:
:lol

FYI, I own every major console since the NES generation bar PS3 and I'm just keeping up this particular argument because I think it's fun.
I posit that you don't "rule" the market by winning one week of sales, even during the week in question.
I dunno. A football match is generally still at least 1/30 of an entire series, whereas a week is ~1/312 of a typhical console generation. It's like "dominating" a few minutes in the second half while still losing the match overall.

In either case, it's certainly not the "same thing" as people calling domination when Wii scored ~70 on the weighted charts with 360 and PS3 hanging around at ~10.
You mean like this?

you keep mentioning one week for past few weeks :lol .

How long will it be one week?

Jokeropia

spwolf said:
you keep mentioning one week for past few weeks :lol .

How long will it be one week?
You can count precisely as many of the latest weeks as you want. Look at the weighted ranking, during the last few weeks no one has been dominating.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
It depends on if you mean the market looking at the bigger picture or how the market is on a weekly basis. I cant see that anyone has claimed that Xbox 360 and/or PS3 is ruling the market now though since i'm fairly sure that most people would think of the bigger picture when they hear and say "rule the market".

Jokeropia said:

That is true, it is not same thing on the grade/level you mention here, but i didnt directly compare winning 1 soccer match to 1 week of sales, since as you say, there are more weeks in a console lifetime compared to a soccer season. I just mentioned the soccer example to show that the word "domination" can be used on a smaller grade/level and not just by looking at the big picture :) The principle is the same even if you split it into 1/10 or 1/1.000.000. The definition of the word "domination" is not tied up to a specific time period and/or a specific percentage etc.

For example, the Wii doesnt have to outsell the PS3 and/or the Xbox 360 for i.e 1 year and/or the Wii doesnt have to have a i.e 60% lead over the PS3 and/or the Xbox 360 before people are "allowed" to use the word domination. There is no exact key answer to how long or how big of a lead you have to have before pepole are "allowed" to use the word "domination". Therefor, if people want to say that (insert a system here) dominated in i.e Week 45, then this would not be a wrong definition of the word "domination" :)

Of course, you can say that it hardly matters if one system is dominating in a few weeks if you look at the big picture, and that is true. You can also say that it looks strange to use the word "domination" when it only comes to a few weeks of sales, and that is no problem for me, but the definition itself of the word "domination" is still correctly used in this case. That is all i wanted to point out :)

This is what we are duscussing right? What the right dictionary definition of the word "domination" is?

Jokeropia said:
You mean like this?
Not exactly, "counter comment" was maybe not the best chosen words of me, sorry. What i ment with "counter comment" was that if he would only use the word "domination" now just to tease the people who were saying "domination" back when Wii had the most titles in the UK Top 40 now that PS3 and Xbox 360 have more titles than the Wii. Or if hes saying that the people back then were meaning that Nintendo dominated looking at the bigger picture or if they were thinking specificly about that particular week when they said "domination" and therefor people can say the same thing with the PS3 and/or the Xbox 360 now.

I am pretty sure that Spwolf is meaning that PS3 and Xbox 360 are dominating the Top 40 UK charts in the last 2 or 3 weeks or so, not that PS3 and Xbox 360 are dominating the market over the Wii by looking at the big picture. By the dictionary definition, he is not wrong for using the word "domination" now, since the PS3 and the Xbox 360 did dominate (atleast in my opinion) over the Wii this week when it comes to the number of software titles in the UK Top 40 :)

I guess it is hard to know now if people in general were only thinking about the bigger picture when they said "Nintendo domination" or if they were only thinking about the weeks individually, or both things. But seeing how "Nintendo domination" was said several of times over several of weeks i would assume that people also were talking about the weeks indivudually as well, and not just thinking about the big picture (unless there were different people who were saying "domination" for several of weeks).

But to sum it up in a few sentences, if people want to use the word "domination" on a weekly basis when a system has relatively many more tiles compared to another system (or systems), then it would not be a inproper definition of the word "domination". I think i understand what you mean though, that when people have been saying "Nintendo domination" they have thought about the big picture, and that might be true. I am just speculating and thinking loud if they could have been talking about the particular week as well when they said "Nintendo domination" :) Nintendo is domination when it comes to the bigger picture, there is no doubt about that and i dont think anyone can disagree with that :)

Top Bottom