• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 48, 2013

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PS4 pre-launch software sales are strong. Also, looks like a good launch for XBO software.

Is it conceivable that the PS4 only moved 75K units of software? Because that's what's being reported here, unless I'm missing something.

Total software: 4.4mm units for November.

PS4 share: 1.7% of units
PS4 units: 75,000

XBO share: 10.8% of units
XBO units: 475,000

Edit: Oh, right, these don't include launch sales. So the system moved 75,000 units before it even was on shelves. Duh. Sorry, it's still 7:30AM here...and no coffee. :D

If anyone's interested the total launch week of PS4 boxed software (and pre-launch weeks rolled up) were around 32% greater than the run up and launch week of Xbox One.

So, 475,000 x 1.32 = 627,000
PS4 software sales (pre-launch + launch) = 627,000

Raist

Banned
I think WeylandxYutani is only referring to the XB1 pre-launch and launch - rather than November total? Also not sure if he's included the digital tokens.

"Boxed software" so yeah, might not include DD vouchers.

In any case, PS3 software generally sold 1.5-2 times less than 360 versions. That situation is potentially completely reversed straight out of the gate. Interesting.

jvm

Gamasutra.
If the PS4 does 650K out of the gate, I think it surpasses the entire year of Wii U software in the UK. Just saying. :\

3PdTKD0.jpg

Raist

Banned
If the PS4 does 650K out of the gate, I think it surpasses the entire year of Wii U software in the UK. Just saying. :\

It's alright, 3D Mario is com- Oh.

So I guess the XB1 SW sales didn't? Are total Wii U SW sales closer to the 475k or 650k figure?

shadow101

Banned
I am happy for PS4, its truly a simple to use Game machine.

SONY has done an excellent job with the PS4 OS/UI.

Waiting for XboxOne Slim.

Thorgal

Impressive numbers this week for PS4 here in the EU.

I would have ordered one if i wasn't dead set on upgrading my PC first.

jvm

Gamasutra.

Raist

Banned
I guess jvm forgot about that figure :p

Anyway,

AUS Week 48

1. Call of Duty: Ghosts (Activision)

2. Battlefield 4 (EA)

3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft)

4. Killzone: Shadow Fall (Sony)

5. FIFA 14 (EA)

6. Skylanders SWAP Force (Activision)

7. Need for Speed: Rivals (EA)

8. NBA 2K14 (2K)

9. Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar)

10. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Warner Bros.)

NW Week 48

Top 10 Full Price Games Charts New Zealand (Nov-25-2013 - Dec-1-2013)

All Platforms

1. Call of Duty: Ghosts (Activision)

2. Battlefield 4 (EA)

3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft)

4. Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar)

5. Killzone: Shadow Fall (Sony)

6. NBA 2K14 (2K)

7. FIFA 14 (EA)

8. Need for Speed: Rivals (EA)

9. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Warner Bros.)

10. Minecraft (Microsoft)

XB1 had FM5, Ryse and DR3 charting last week. So, Knack bomba, or XB1 > PS4?

Mpl90

In the past weeks, I posted PS4 v.s. One comparisons. This week, I wanted to break a bit from that, with something that we can call... "The Bravely Report". Yeah, I suppose everyone can see we're I'm going to.

How's Bravely Default doing on the three major Amazon.com European sites?

UK - The country where JRPG found bigger difficulties in selling in the recent years (so much that seeing Ninokuni 1st back at the beginning of the year was amazing :D )...It only obtained to chart at 88th as highest position, but there is a reason: the price.
Usually, 3DS major games are priced £31.99, 32.99 is the highest price possible. Some of them start at 34.99, and then their price is diminished. But Bravely Default didn't see its price dropped, and, at launch, was at 34.99. Now the game's out of top 100, but it's not available anymore directly from Amazon.co.uk (35,64, and sold by third party vendor). The Collector's Edition is...under the DS brand (wut?!?) and sold by third parties. IIRC, that was not on Amazon originally, right? Sold by other retail chains.

Germany - IIRC, the highest position it charted was around 60th (not including the collector's edition, which IS available on Amazon.de), now's around 80th. But still, looking at recent past, german Amazon doesn't represent the market as much as in other countries.

France - The country where JRPG receive the best acceptance...and Bravely Default is doing great as well. 11th, despite the markup price and being sold by a third party retailer. It was even third right after its release. By far the biggest new release on Amazon this week.
No, I'm not forgetting GT6: on Amazon.fr, it's always been lower than Bravely

noobie

Banned
PlayStation 3 racer Gran Turismo 6 has debuted with around five times fewer sales than its predecessor GT5.

Gran Turismo 6 launch sales were just a fifth of GT5's

GT6 arrived in the UK all-formats chart in eighth place this week, and was the only major new release.

Call of Duty: Ghosts was again top, followed by FIFA 14 in second, Battlefield 4 in third and Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag in fourth.

It would be easy to suggest that next-gen excitement for the PS4 has put a dampner on GT6 sales. But all major franchises are currently down in sales on previous entries - even after next-gen sales have been accounted for.

Last-gen success Grand Theft Auto 5 charted above GT6 in fifth place, ahead of Lego Marvel Superheroes and Just Dance 2014.

Super Mario 3D World is still being outsold by Knack.

GT6 Bombed

SmokyDave

PlayStation 3 racer Gran Turismo 6 has debuted with around five times fewer sales than its predecessor GT5.

Fucking ouch. Kinda expected it though, they should've dropped a prologue on PS4 instead.

Ah well, I did my bit and picked it up on Saturday.

jmcoo7

Banned
Fucking ouch. Kinda expected it though, they should've dropped a prologue on PS4 instead.

Ah well, I did my bit and picked it up on Saturday.

Yeah saw it coming no way should it have released a week after ps4, everyone is either on ps4 or skint.

Mpl90

Do we have any indications about how much GT5 sold at debut back in 2010?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Do we have any indications about how much GT5 sold at debut back in 2010?

This was posted back in the PAL Charts thread for week 47 2010:
So Gran Turismo 5 sold between 265k - 275k in UK in its first week.
Gran Turismo 4 sold more than 250k but less then Halo 2 / 260k.

So.. not great for GT6. GT5 was a earlier in the week release though so I guess that slightly helps.

I'm kinda happy GT6 bombed as it was wasted time - they should have made GT for Vita instead or work on releasing GT6 prologue for PS4 instead of milking userbase.

Don't GT games generally have very long legs? I'm sure it will be fine in the long run. Might not sell as much as GT5, but it will do decent numbers.

Mpl90

This was posted back in the PAL Charts thread for week 47 2010:

So.. not great for GT6. GT5 was a earlier in the week release though so I guess that slightly helps.

Thanks!

Since GT6's debut is 5 times lower than GT5's

Gran Turismo 6 - between 53,000 and 55,000

Gran Turismo 6 launch sales were just a fifth of GT5's

GT6 arrived in the UK all-formats chart in eighth place this week, and was the only major new release.

Call of Duty: Ghosts was again top, followed by FIFA 14 in second, Battlefield 4 in third and Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag in fourth.

It would be easy to suggest that next-gen excitement for the PS4 has put a dampner on GT6 sales. But all major franchises are currently down in sales on previous entries - even after next-gen sales have been accounted for.

Last-gen success Grand Theft Auto 5 charted above GT6 in fifth place, ahead of Lego Marvel Superheroes and Just Dance 2014.

Super Mario 3D World is still being outsold by Knack.

GT6 Bombed

Holy shit. HOLY SHIT! That's a huge drop-off. I wonder how well the game performed in other territories.

I've got GT5:AE but in all honesty never really played it. I do like the shiny though, and may end up buying GT6 down the line when its price drops a lot (or when they similarly release another 'Academy Edition').

Don't GT games generally have very long legs? I'm sure it will be fine in the long run. Might not sell as much as GT5, but it will do decent numbers.

I think the problem with that expectation is that we're so close to the end of this generation it may not have a chance to have the usual 2 or 3 year long tail.

GT will be fine. It has the greatest legs of all Sonys franchises. It may not match GT5 but it should cover its costs, especially if they are reusing assets/engine.

I can't see it having long legs when the new generation transition has already happened.

I know three friends who had a PS3 and GT5. One sold their PS3 to get a PS4 and the other two boxed their PS3 up and bought Xbox One with Forza.

SmokyDave

I can see how GT6 would be a hard sell, I nearly didn't buy it and changed my mind a couple of days before release.

Same here. I thought it was going to be the first GT I missed at launch (busy with PS4 games), but then I cracked on Saturday morning and had to go out and get it. It's hard to explain, but it just doesn't feel like the right time to release a PS3 Gran Turismo. I can't put my finger on why though, the PS3 has a large and active userbase.

Dynoro

Judging by the GB quicklook GT6 looked to have fixed a lot of the faults with the franchise, so it is a shame that the sales have dropped so much. Understandable coming a week after the PS4 release though; people have either spent their money on a new PS4/Xbone or just not buying games (judging by sales numbers of all last gen games).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty obvious why, Sony fans want PS4 games. New and improved graphics is and has always been an important part of a new racing game experience, GT is a very fan-appealing game, and a lot of hard fans have moved on or will soon.

dolemite

When you add the numbers of the big franchises (CoD, AC, etc.) and compare it to the last year performance, there appears to be a huge chunk of missing buyers. What happened?

Mpl90

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/call...n-turismo-6-stalls-at-the-green-light/0125516

Activision’s Call of Duty: Ghosts has claimed the Gfk Chart-Track All Formats No.1 for the third time in four weeks.

The upper reaches of the chart are beginning to form a regular pattern as we approach Christmas, with FIFA 14, Battlefield 4, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag and Grand Theft Auto V (second, third, fourth and fifth respectively) continue to vie it out for those slots.

Ubisoft’s Just Dance 2014 continues its Top Ten resurgence, this week climbing to seventh thanks to a festive 70 per cent bump in sales.

There’s a new entry and No.8 – Sony’s PS3 racer Gran Turismo 6. Note, however, that the game sold just a fifth of the number of copies shifted by predecessor Gran Turismo 5 – a consequence, no doubt, of the current next-gen fever that’s gripping the market.

PS4 exclusive Killzone Shadow Fall falls from fourth to ninth. Fellow PS4 exclusive Knack falls from 13th to 18th, though still outpaces Nintendo’s Super Mario 3D World which falls six places to 20th.

Xbox One exclusives Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 fall 11 places each to 26th and 29th respectively.

Xbox One exclusives falling very quickly.

DrWong

France week 48:

1 - FIFA 14 PS4 - Electronic Arts
2 - COD : Ghosts PS4 - Activision Blizzard
3 - COD : Ghosts PS3 - Activision Blizzard
4 - Super Mario 3D World Wii U - Nintendo
5 - FIFA 14 PS3 - Electronic Arts

Edit: Knack didn't do the top... :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
France week 48:

1 - FIFA 14 PS4 - Electronic Arts
2 - COD : Ghosts PS4 - Activision Blizzard
3 - COD : Ghosts PS3 - Activision Blizzard
4 - Super Mario 3D World Wii U - Nintendo
5 - FIFA 14 PS3 - Electronic Arts

Edit: Knack didn't do the top... :p

So UK is the worst market for Mario 3d World, for the other big ones it performed decently (given the instal base).

Dynoro

When you add the numbers of the big franchises (CoD, AC, etc.) and compare it to the last year performance, there appears to be a huge chunk of missing buyers. What happened?

I suspect its a combination of new consoles, fatigue and budgetary strain. After spending £350+ on a new console most people are less likely to buy COD, BF4 and AC and just go for one.

GT5 should have been released in 2008/9. I think with the first slim in 2009 would have been perfect timing. Fewer cars and tracks, only premiums. GT6 in 2011/12, at least a year before next gen.

Sony and Kaz fucked up the timing and scope of GT on PS3. GT5 should have been like GT3 A-Spec (with just 180 cars and 17 tracks) and GT5: Prologue should not have existed, leaving it to HD Concept as a taster.

The time line should have been:

2007 - HD Concept
2009 - GT5 A-Spec (~200 all premium cars, 17-20 tracks)
2012 - GT6 (600-700 PS4 forwards compatible cars, 25-30 PS4 forwards compatible tracks).

GT6 as it is, has been put into generational changeover purgatory. GT4 came out in 2004 in Japan and early 2005 elsewhere. Over a year before next gen started for Sony, and half a year before 360 blew away the PS2 in terms of graphics.

Sony/Kaz made GT5 do too much and now they are paying the price for it's lateness.

Top Bottom