• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 48, 2013

Into

Congrats to Sony on their success so far

While i too, am amused by Knack doing better than 3D World, and do believe that Knack is a much better game than the so called "critics" gave it credit it for, its no Mario. Ive played both games, and 3D World is a geniune GOTY contender with Last of Us, GTA 5 and Link Between Worlds.

If that tells you anything its that Wii U is the issue here, not 3D World, not New Super Mario Bros U, which is a title that has been thrown under the bus in the last 12 months in order to excuse Wii U's performance.

The games are not the problem, PS4 has mostly multiplats and Killzone, hardly a system seller. PS2 had Kessen and Tekken Tag Tournament, hardly system sellers here either. The console itself is the problem, not the games. 3D World is a fantastic game that is held back by the console, and not the other way around, which has been the common belief by many.

Bruno MB

mf2Bby8.png

Australia:
Week 47, 2013 - Full Price Games (All Formats)

01 (01) CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
02 (04) ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
03 (03) BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
04 (NE) FORZA MOTORSPORT 5 (MICROSOFT)
05 (NE) DEAD RISING 3 (MICROSOFT)
06 (NE) RYSE: SON OF ROME (MICROSOFT)
07 (05) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
08 (NE) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: LINK BETWEEN WORLDS (NINTENDO)
09 (02) LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
10 (06) SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

L4iEuoa.png

New Zealand:
Week 47, 2013 - Full Price Games (All Formats)

01 (01) CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
02 (03) BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (05) ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
04 (NE) FORZA MOTORSPORT 5 (MICROSOFT)
05 (02) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
06 (NE) RYSE: SON OF ROME (MICROSOFT)
07 (NE) DEAD RISING 3 (MICROSOFT)
08 (08) NBA 2K14 (TAKE 2)
09 (04) LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
10 (06) MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)

Styti.png

France:
Week 47, 2013 - Individual Console Formats (Value)

01 (01) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
02 (NE) 3DS THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK BETWEEN WORLDS (NINTENDO)
03 (02) 360 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
04 (NE) XBO RYSE: SON OF ROME (MICROSOFT)
05 (NE) XBO DEAD RISING 3 (MICROSOFT)

8BZvc.png

Italy:
Week 47, 2013 - Individual Console Formats (Units)

01 (02) PS3 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (06) WII JUST DANCE 2014 (UBISOFT)
03 (01) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
04 (03) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
05 (NE) XBO BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
06 (NE) XBO FORZA MOTORSPORT 5 (MICROSOFT)
07 (NE) XBO CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
08 (05) PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV - BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
09 (NE) 3DS THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK BETWEEN WORLDS (NINTENDO)
10 (07) 360 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

PS4 launch in Australia:

"EB Games have today released a Press Release detailing the success of the Playstation’s Launch in Australia. Over three hundred EB stores opened at midnight last night so Australian gamers could celebrate the launch in style. The launches were huge, the biggest console releases seen in Australia so far and more than double the scale of the Playstation 3‘s launch in 2007."

SmokyDave

PS4 launch in Australia:

"EB Games have today released a Press Release detailing the success of the Playstation’s Launch in Australia. Over three hundred EB stores opened at midnight last night so Australian gamers could celebrate the launch in style. The launches were huge, the biggest console releases seen in Australia so far and more than double the scale of the Playstation 3‘s launch in 2007."
Sony must be popping champagne like crazy today. Nothing but good news.

UNCMark

Banned
Bit disappointed about Zelda sales, hopefully it has long legs because ALBW deserves it.

It will have long legs, they always do. It's unwise to use the UK as a measuring stick for anything Nintendo-related. Just like you wouldn't use Japan as a measuring stick for 360 success/failure.

I think they're just referring to the scale of the launch in terms of number of midnight launches etc. I don't think they're referring to units.

Sony must be popping champagne like crazy today. Nothing but good news.

They should be celebrating with Tequila imo.

Tequila served with limes salted with the freshly squeezed tears of Nintendo fans ;)

Sorry, been having waaay too much fun reading the 'UK record' PS4 thread today... can't help a bit of warrioring up :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
From the other thread

UPDATE: An industry source has told Eurogamer that life-to-date Wii U sales in the UK are still around the 150,000 mark after a year on sale.

That's around 100,000 less than PlayStation 4 managed in its opening weekend.

Xbox One sales are now up to the 170,000 mark, Eurogamer was told. It was reported last week that Xbox One had notched up around 150,000 units during its launch weekend, suggesting around 20,000 more have been shifted in the last week.

UK numbers company Chart-Track was not able to comment on specific sales figures for PS4 or Xbox One but did confirm that both have now outstripped the Wii U's lifetime sales in the UK.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-02-playstation-4-uk-launch-sales-are-over-250k

Donos

Pal Charts thread getting interesting again for a while. They often didn't reach page two (100 post) the last years.

maxiell

Mpl, you gotta make a new thread for the 20k number. I'd like to hear some analysis of it from people who understand the shipments.

UNCMark

Banned
This just proves that no matter how much we're starving for new consoles after a stupidly long generation, we're still picky about what we eat.

gtj1092

PS4 launch in Australia:

So that makes Canada, UK and America for Ps4 being the biggest launch ever if I'm reading that right. Wonder how the rest of Europe fared. I'm guessing France and Germany got 200K each would that be enough to be the biggest launches in those countries.

Why are people surprised by the Knack/Mario positions?

It's likely that the PS4 just outsold the WiiU's entire 1st year sales in just one day, and seeing as how a lot of places were bundling any old crap/forcing people to buy bundles to sell the PS4 how can it be a surprise?

Nintendo arguably has the best lineup for xmas this year, but that doesn't erase the last 12 months. We had 7+ months without a Nintendo published games on their new console and apathy from retailers and consumers during those dark months. Nintendo's laziness in the 1st half of this year has burned a lot of bridges, you can't sell the best game of the year if a store won't even stock it.

Road

If anyone's interested the total launch week of PS4 boxed software (and pre-launch weeks rolled up) were around 32% greater than the run up and launch week of Xbox One.

PS4 software was 32% greater than XB1, but PS4 hardware was 67% greater?

Am I understanding this right? Also, is this money or units?

Thanks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Thanks.

It doesn't account for digital either though. There are at least 3200 BF4's bought in the US PSN and that is just those who voted and rated BF4. It doesn't count those who just buy and don't rate the game.

The free game ResoGun had over 17k ratings last night.

AzaK

01 (NE) PS4 KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
02 (13) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
11 (NE) PS4 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

I bought these!

These charts are going to get a whole lot more interesting now that next gen has arrived.

I wonder how long before Wii U is gone completely from the charts? If PS4 and XBO keep selling strongly, maybe 6 months?

Steroyd

It really is a shame there is no tracking for digital purchases. As everyone I know with Xbox Ones buy every game digitally. Not sure how much difference that would make to the charts on both platforms.

I'd be skeptical it'd make much of a difference at those prices.

Moonstone

Thanks.

Dat Xbone attachrate!

Possible reasons:
-One has the better exclusives
-PS4 buyers had to buy PSN+ for online gaming (and Resogun). Xbox One buyers probably already had a Xbox Live subscription.

Thanks.

Think about the type of buyer, the PS4 is being marketed as a cheaper next-gen console so it will naturally attract people who buy games at a lesser rate. Bone, by virtue of being more expensive, will attract the most hardcore gamers from the outset, and these people will have a more voracious gaming appetite. Over time this will equalise.

Also take into account that the best launch title (Resogun) comes free with PS+.

Because of supply, and the week difference, it's hard to get a good picture at this stage. No question that PS4 sold more units and games, but we don't know if Microsoft is in uh-oh territory yet and probably won't know until March. Either way, unlike Nintendo, I don't expect Microsoft to take it lying down.

Raist

Banned
Because of supply, and the week difference, it's hard to get a good picture at this stage. No question that PS4 sold more units and games, but we don't know if Microsoft is in uh-oh territory yet and probably won't know until March. Either way, unlike Nintendo, I don't expect Microsoft to take it lying down.

There's no "uh-oh" yet, and it will take months to get a good picture. But what is absolutely clear is that the PS4 launch steamrolled the XB1's, and that's coming from a previous position of 360>PS3 in the UK by far.

Next week will be interesting once the dust settles a little to see how both platforms do.

GTAIV will be very close to or if not top next week thanks to it's weekly deal this week.

Mario launched in a bad week and won't have been helped by complete apathy for the platform it's on and such a low userbase it's failed to amass in a year! Jees!

Crawl

Apparently that sleeping dragon that awoke was Sony and the heatwave sure as hell didn't effect europeans from buying PS4s.

Ashes

Banned
Next week will be interesting once the dust settles a little to see how both platforms do.

GTAIV will be very close to or if not top next week thanks to it's weekly deal this week.

Mario launched in a bad week and won't have been helped by complete apathy for the platform it's on and such a low userbase it's failed to amass in a year! Jees!

Gt6 will be number 1.

TheZjman

Banned
Couple of things i picked up from working in games retail:

-The Xbone drop would be down to the fact there is just no stock at all at the minute. Xbox have done a horrible job of supply whereas the PS4 is a lot more readily available. We are still on our first set of XB1 pre-orders because Microsoft are so behind. Sony are doing a great job.

- Mario 3D world should have decent legs. We've sold probably more copies this week than we did on launch day and saturday, for whatever reason.

-Would be surprised to see GT6 to get Number 1, due to the fact that nobody really knows it exists, ala Nexus.

EDIT: - On the pokemon front, we haven't had any new copies in stock from Nintendo for three weeks now.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So with 250K PS4 systems sold in the UK, what do you imagine software sales will look like? At least 500K? Just wondering, because as of the end of October 2013 the Wii U was sitting at about 560K software units LTD in the UK. That'd be a tie ratio of around 4.0 after 11 months.

So with 250K PS4 systems sold in the UK, what do you imagine software sales will look like? At least 500K? Just wondering, because as of the end of October 2013 the Wii U was sitting at about 560K software units LTD in the UK. That'd be a tie ratio of around 4.0 after 11 months.

I didn't see you post last week's software units and revenue totals, was looking forward to the YoY uptick after a year of doom and gloom!

Hope software sales stay super strong for PS4, so EA can somehow alter the Titanfall contract and quickly and subsequently release it for PS4.

Don't do this to yourself.

20k people bought the console that week. The sales shouldn't have collapsed at all. The ps4 games that had been out 2 weeks too all increased massively, so with a bigger user base the xbone sales should have gone up, even with people buying Xmas gifts.

If MS had bundled a game, in any SKU, it'd have been no.2.

20k is not going to be at the top of the charts in November, that's ridiculous. The PS4 games went up because it was launch week, just like CoD for Xbone last week. All those PS4 titles will drop as hardware stock dries up, launch owners aren't going to consistently buy 3 games a week.

TheZjman

Banned
If this happens this would be one of the worst years ever in terms of bombs for Sony lol

It might get number 1 as i have no idea how big the fanbase for GT6 is. Speaking from personal experience, everyone i mentioned it too had no idea it was out this week and i even forgot...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
For those interested...so far, no answer from Guardian about what happened with the splits. I'll probably make the thread about it later today.

Moonstone

For those interested...so far, no answer from Guardian about what happened with the splits. I'll probably make the thread about it later today.

I've contacted german gaming sites, BIU and gamesmarkt to ask why they don't provide charts anymore or to let them know that they have made mistakes. I never got an answer.

If this happens this would be one of the worst years ever in terms of bombs for Sony lol

Gran Turismo has crazy long legs, as GT5 still charts at some places.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if GT6 starts off slow, given the complete attention next-gen is swallowing up everything else.

Ashes

Banned
-Would be surprised to see GT6 to get Number 1, due to the fact that nobody really knows it exists, ala Nexus.

It's one of those pre-order heavy titles I expect. As well as selling well into year 2,3,4.
PS4 launching has dampened expectations, but it'll be number 1.

Top Bottom