• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 51, 2014

Hobohodo

I'm my store Driveclub is sold with pretty much any PS4 bundle and a lot of the time traded in instantly for another game. The preowned draw has a fair few sealed copies of the game. The bundles are giving it the big boost.

Although someone did buy a season pass for it the other day so maybe people want it now.

jpbonadio

Banned
The 999% sales boost the game received the same week it was heavily bundled leads me to believe its current success is almost entirely driven by bundles.

Are you trying to convince yourself that the game is a success only because of bundles?

Are you trying to ignore the the game is amazing, with a fantastic gameplay and the best graphics ever made?

Are you trying to ignore that mainly after the weather update the game is shocking people with the realism and the word of mouth is spreading?

If so, then ... Ok. Keep trying.

SmokyDave

DC is a good game but it's definitely being heavily bundled, which will affect the chart position. Nip into your local CEX and see the number of copies on the shelves if you're in doubt.

I'm my store Driveclub is sold with pretty much any PS4 bundle and a lot of the time traded in instantly for another game. The preowned draw has a fair few sealed copies of the game. The bundles are giving it the big boost.

Although someone did buy a season pass for it the other day so maybe people want it now.

Nice way to skim a bit of extra profit off the top I guess. You'd only need one copy of the game, and if you could discourage anyone from actually buying it then you make an easy profit.

I've seen the same trick done by a big issue seller down to his last magazine ;-)

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Are you trying to convince yourself that the game is a success only because of bundles?

Are you trying to ignore the the game is amazing, with a fantastic gameplay and the best graphics ever made?

Are you trying to ignore that mainly after the weather update the game is shocking people with the realism and the word of mouth is spreading?

Did it sky rocket before the weather update in anticipation?

i have the game and like it...but what he said is fairly true, it's been boosted majorly by the ps4 bundles.

EGM1966

The most competitive bundles all feature DC.

Are people really trying to convince themselves the game is selling well by itself and not because of how heavily it's bundled?
Bundling helps a new IP and is a common approach. Look at how MS used bundling to help grow Forza as an almost direct comparison on 360: they bundled Gorza heavily and constantly to help IP grow and relied on good word of mouth and exposure to take over from there.

DriveClub as a new IP Sony clearly wants to succeed was always a good candidate for the same treatment. With weather and recent stability word of mouth is good and sales are clearly now a combo of both bundles and restored interest in the title.

Besides, DC was always likely to have solid legs if Sony fixed it. Europe is most consistent markets for titles like that and Sony has Europe in the bag. If they ever get the Plus version out I expect sales and install base to take a decent spike when people get to trial it that way.

It not undeserved its a good racing game and the challenges and online side is a lot of fun now it's working.

Forza grew on the back of bundling and was a good racer too that could easily have floundered as an IP of MS hadn't also invested in boosting its chances the same way Sony is.

BKK

Spells bad news for captain toad then.
it never had a chance

Well, it's different for online retailers who dispatch items early to arrive by launch date. Those are counted as day one sales. In this case it seems that it is being sold at retail from today, with online orders being sent out last week (probably a couple of days earlier than normal to account for Christmas postal delays). So should only be tracked from week 52, unless any B&M retailers sold any up until Saturday.

Loudninja

So are we going to repeat the same stuff every week with DC?

Week 1: it was number 3
Week 2: it was number 7
Week 3: it as number 9
Week 4: It was number 14
Week 5 it as number 31

It dropped alot after the 5th week and missed the chart the next week.

apparently the game is horrible, and its only selling because the stores dont let u buy a ps4 without driveclub.

SMH so good the salt here

Confusing salt with common sense.

Look man, I love DC as much as the next guy (weather is glorious!!), but the bundles being offered with 3 games at £350 with DC included is surely helping this boost at Christmas now.

The game is fantastic but let's not kid ourselves bundles are working their magic. Hopefully lots of people get to enjoy Evo's talents at this rate.

bud

So are we going to repeat the same stuff every week with DC?

Week 1: it was number 3
Week 2: it was number 7
Week 3: it as number 9
Week 4: It was number 14
Week 5 it as number 31

It dropped alot after the 5th week and missed the chart the next week.

congratulations.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

That's a joke, yes?

I'm beginning to find it not surprising that nearly everyone I race online with that's using voice chat sounds like they're from the UK. seems smart to have bundled the title and get it proliferated. Never at a loss for packed races and competitive challenges.

FATALITY

Banned
Confusing salt with common sense.

Look man, I love DC as much as the next guy (weather is glorious!!), but the bundles being offered with 3 games at £350 with DC included is surely helping this boost at Christmas now.

The game is fantastic but let's not kid ourselves bundles are working their magic. Hopefully lots of people get to enjoy Evo's talents at this rate.

my friend bought today a ps4 with fifa and the last of us there was no dc like some of u guys r suggesting.

EGOMON

Why DC is the only game benefiting form the bundles? what are the other games bundled with it just curious

QaaQer

so far cry did better than unity lol

lol, yeah even with heavy bundling of Unity.

Maybe dropping the current day story was a mistake. I know it sounds stupid, but it was the only reason I played through the first half dozen games. The puzzles and epoch spanning fragments from the first couple of games, as well as the bizzarre subject 16 writings hooked me.

The dropping of all of that and turning the story into what it is today really wrecked the series for me. I'd way rather of had them do a proper 5 or 10 game arc, then reboot the thing like entertainment companies do with everything from Star Trek to Tomb Raider to Batman to James Bond etc etc. if they want to keep milking it.

I really dont understand what the issue is here. DC by no stretch of the imagination is a success for Sony. It has the worse launch of the year with MCC and unity fighting for close second.

But unlike those two games, once the techincial issues were ironed out* it is now a damn fine game and is worthy of being given a shot. The bundling is just doing the same thing the PS+ was planned to do - give the game a long tail and grow it as an ip.

Once Xmas is over and the bundling stops, the game should still have some kind of legs. Its not going to be a huge success now, but if it can at least serve as a decent value add title, it can be seen as a small victory.

DC2 may not happen, but at least nobody can accuse Sony of not trying. I think when all is said and done, due to the bundling and I expect future promotions with the PS+, the game will eventually break even, maybe even become slightly profitable.

Thats all anyone can hope for after all is said and done.

* Before anyone goes into warrior mode, Both MCC and Unity look like they are going to take far longer to fix and may not be 100% functional, ever.

Pezus

Nice to see DriveClub doing well, even if it's mostly from bundles because HEY, most of them will still surely play it and perhaps recommend it to friends! Good to build a base for a potential sequel.

my friend bought today a ps4 with fifa and the last of us there was no dc like some of u guys r suggesting.

Like someone mentioned earlier there are some non DC bundles available.

But a majority of the great bundles that provide savings to customers do include DC so it's selling well now it looks like.

GTA man, love seeing that game dominating and like somebody mentioned it feels good finally seeing next gen games dominating the charts. cross gen games need to die specially for ambitious games

and DC has become a great game so im glad its doing fine

I thought the Wii's are supposed to be collecting dust for the past three years or so. What is happening?

Just Dance is the casualiest of the casual games, so I imagine this is the dying throes of people thinking they'll get the Wii out of the cupboard and play it over Christmas, or as part of their New Year weight loss program.

So that weather patch really did get people on board.

More likely it's because DC is being heavily bundled.

SmokyDave

Have a look at the CEX site (uk.webuy.com) for the buy price and stock levels of Driveclub. It's a handy guide for getting a rough feel for the second hand market. You'll notice that the buy price for Driveclub (£9) is much lower than for other titles released at the same time, and the stock level (currently 2325 copies) is much higher than comparable titles.

It might be that many purchasers traded the game during the early issues (though it didn't exactly light up the charts at first), but it also fits the pattern of every other heavily bundled title in the past.

QaaQer

I really dont understand what the issue is here. DC by no stretch of the imagination is a success for Sony. It has the worse launch of the year with MCC and unity fighting for close second.

But unlike those two games, once the techincial issues were ironed out* it is now a damn fine game and is worthy of being given a shot. The bundling is just doing the same thing the PS+ was planned to do - give the game a long tail and grow it as an ip.

Once Xmas is over and the bundling stops, the game should still have some kind of legs. Its not going to be a huge success now, but if it can at least serve as a decent value add title, it can be seen as a small victory.

DC2 may not happen, but at least nobody can accuse Sony of not trying. I think when all is said and done, due to the bundling and I expect future promotions with the PS+, the game will eventually break even, maybe even become slightly profitable.

* Before anyone goes into warrior mode, Both MCC and Unity look like they are going to take far longer to fix and may not be 100% functional, ever.

The bolded is unknown. However, given the fact that Evo is a studio with a mere 45 devs, vs Polyphony and Turn10 (both with approx 300) leads me to believe that the budget for DC was tiny for an AAA game and that the studio is very efficient.

If so, then the game may have been successful, especially for an rpg-free racer without microtransactions.

Have a look at the CEX site (uk.webuy.com) for the buy price and stock levels of Driveclub. It's a handy guide for getting a rough feel for the second hand market. You'll notice that the buy price for Driveclub (£9) is much lower than for other titles released at the same time, and the stock level (currently 2325 copies) is much higher than comparable titles.

It might be that many purchasers traded the game during the early issues (though it didn't exactly light up the charts at first), but it also fits the pattern of every other heavily bundled title in the past.

cheers. gives a fairly good indication of demand.

I'll respond to other posts when I get home. Apologies, it's pretty hard addressing all posts on a phone.

apparently the game is horrible, and its only selling because the stores dont let u buy a ps4 without driveclub.

SMH so good the salt here

Embarrassing. Show me one post in here where someone said the game is horrible? I'll wait.

Am I missing something?

http://www.tesco.com/direct/gaming/all-consoles/cat29730025.cat?catId=4294773886

Tesco aren't exactly known for their great bundles. Try Game or Argos in store. The main competitive bundles being promoted all feature DC.

There are five ps4s there, only one comes with DC.

Thank you for pointing this out. CEX are often very quick to react to market changes in the value of a game.

This all baseless speculation or do you have any evidence for your claims here?

Bruno MB

Code:
[Week 47, 2014] 01 (32) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 421,824 
[Week 48, 2014] 03 (01) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 151,857 (-64%)
[Week 49, 2014] 03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 121,486 (-20%)
[Week 50, 2014] 03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 94,759 (-22%)
[Week 51, 2014] 03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 109,920 (+16%)

Total - 899,846

Grand Theft Auto V has sold nearly 900,000 units on the two next-gen consoles. These figures also include the sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions but they are marginal. The remaster will end the year breaking the million barrier.

Last year Grand Theft Auto V sold 3,670,234 units, current LTD sales should be around 5 million.

BrunoMB I guess you missed it but in the previous thread I posted new links to Norwegian and Nordic (which I guess is Sweden+Norway+Finland, maybe Denmark too) charts. No idea when they get updated though.

I didn't miss it, I have replaced the Belgian chart by the Norwegian one. I guess that it is one week behind. Regarding Nordic charts I feel they are redundant since every country with the exception of Denmark has its own chart.

Code:
[Week 47, 2014] 01 (32) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 421,824 
[Week 48, 2014] 03 (01) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 151,857 (-64%)
[Week 49, 2014] 03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 121,486 (-20%)
[Week 50, 2014] 03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 94,759 (-22%)
[Week 51, 2014] 03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 109,920 (+16%)

Total - 899,846

Grand Theft Auto V has sold nearly 900,000 units on the two next-gen consoles. These figures also include the sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions but they are marginal. It will end the year breaking the million barrier.

Last year Grand Theft Auto V sold 3,670,234 units, current LTD sales should be around 5 million.

Damn. Even in Japan very few games cross 5 million nowadays. Crazy amount when you look at the population of UK vs Japan. Of course majority of this gen GTA buyers already probably own the game but still.

kpaadet

The bolded is unknown. However, given the fact that Evo is a studio with a mere 45 devs, vs Polyphony and Turn10 (both with approx 300) leads me to believe that the budget for DC was tiny for an AAA game and that the studio is very efficient.

If so, then the game may have been successful, especially for an rpg-free racer without microtransactions.

Polyphony is no where near as big as Turn10, they are ~110 people.

Top Bottom