• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 51, 2014

Code:
[Week 47, 2014] 01 (32) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 421,824 
[Week 48, 2014] 03 (01) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 151,857 (-64%)
[Week 49, 2014] 03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 121,486 (-20%)
[Week 50, 2014] 03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 94,759 (-22%)
[Week 51, 2014] 03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 109,920 (+16%)

Total - 899,846

Grand Theft Auto V has sold nearly 900,000 units on the two next-gen consoles. These figures also include the sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions but they are marginal. The remaster will end the year breaking the million barrier.

Last year Grand Theft Auto V sold 3,670,234 units, current LTD sales should be around 5 million.

I just wanna say, I really appreciate these sales breakdowns you do. Amazing performance for GTAV (and IMO completely deserved), and I suspect the game will comfortably break 50 million total sales by the end of next year.

Karatechop250

Neo Member
I feel bad for Forza Horizon 2 because it is one of the best racing games I have ever played yet might barely breaking a million in sales. Forza Horizon 2 is such a good game it should have easily broken 2 to 3 million in sales.

small44

I really dont understand what the issue is here. DC by no stretch of the imagination is a success for Sony. It has the worse launch of the year with MCC and unity fighting for close second.

But unlike those two games, once the techincial issues were ironed out* it is now a damn fine game and is worthy of being given a shot. The bundling is just doing the same thing the PS+ was planned to do - give the game a long tail and grow it as an ip.

Once Xmas is over and the bundling stops, the game should still have some kind of legs. Its not going to be a huge success now, but if it can at least serve as a decent value add title, it can be seen as a small victory.

DC2 may not happen, but at least nobody can accuse Sony of not trying. I think when all is said and done, due to the bundling and I expect future promotions with the PS+, the game will eventually break even, maybe even become slightly profitable.

Thats all anyone can hope for after all is said and done.

* Before anyone goes into warrior mode, Both MCC and Unity look like they are going to take far longer to fix and may not be 100% functional, ever.
I think Sony made DC to make us wait Gran turismo game

are you really convinced that the game is only selling because of bundles is the real question. weather updates, ps4 share, word of mouth (rip hindle), being the only next gen looking racing game on ps4 etc... doesn't have any effect

While I'm sure there were some non bundle sales, I'm also pretty sure that the overwhelming sales are from bundles.

After all, a game doesn't slip out of the charts and then re-enter with a nearly a 1000% sales boost without there being other factors beyond an update the mainstream media hardly reported on...

Bundling helps a new IP and is a common approach. Look at how MS used bundling to help grow Forza as an almost direct comparison on 360: they bundled Gorza heavily and constantly to help IP grow and relied on good word of mouth and exposure to take over from there.

DriveClub as a new IP Sony clearly wants to succeed was always a good candidate for the same treatment. With weather and recent stability word of mouth is good and sales are clearly now a combo of both bundles and restored interest in the title.

Besides, DC was always likely to have solid legs if Sony fixed it. Europe is most consistent markets for titles like that and Sony has Europe in the bag. If they ever get the Plus version out I expect sales and install base to take a decent spike when people get to trial it that way.

It not undeserved its a good racing game and the challenges and online side is a lot of fun now it's working.

Forza grew on the back of bundling and was a good racer too that could easily have floundered as an IP of MS hadn't also invested in boosting its chances the same way Sony is.

I'll have to take your word on Forza as I don't really follow anything regarding the mainline series.

I don't have a problem with bundling, but there are degrees to how bad it can be. The first DC bundle was a good decision, the current bundling is Sony essentially giving the game away for free. That has the potential to damage the brand in the long run with people not really caring about the game beyond seeing as a freebie they got, one they might not even bother playing and instead cart off to GAME or CEX to trade in for something else.

Are you trying to convince yourself that the game is a success only because of bundles?

Are you trying to ignore the the game is amazing, with a fantastic gameplay and the best graphics ever made?

Are you trying to ignore that mainly after the weather update the game is shocking people with the realism and the word of mouth is spreading?

If so, then ... Ok. Keep trying.

Sigh.

<3 <3 DriveClub still charting <3 <3

Edit: Even if a great part of it comes from bundles, it's still good news. It means more people will get to play it, which leads to more potential customers should a sequel be released.

gtj1092

While I'm sure there were some non bundle sales, I'm also pretty sure that the overwhelming sales are from bundles.

After all, a game doesn't slip out of the charts and then re-enter with a nearly a 1000% sales boost without there being other factors beyond an update the mainstream media hardly reported on...

I'll have to take your word on Forza as I don't really follow anything regarding the mainline series.

I don't have a problem with bundling, but there are degrees to how bad it can be. The first DC bundle was a good decision, the current bundling is Sony essentially giving the game away for free. That has the potential to damage the brand in the long run with people not really caring about the game beyond seeing as a freebie they got, one they might not even bother playing and instead cart off to GAME or CEX to trade in for something else.

Sigh.

Were you this concerned with titanfall bundling earlier in the year or the myriad of other bundles throughout the year. Games get bundled why does this bundle concern you so much?

I'm sure you were ached over in anguish over the ACU bundles. Not only were two games being bundle but they had the audacity to also drop the price. /s

EGM1966

I feel bad for Forza Horizon 2 because it is one of the best racing games I have ever played yet might barely breaking a million in sales. Forza Horizon 2 is such a good game it should have easily broken 2 to 3 million in sales.
Not to be contentious but the main issue for FH2 in Europe is its on lower install base for a racer in terms on current gen.

Sheer install base pretty much always means racers sell more on Playstation in Europe/PAL.

On the other hand titles like FH2 are likely to see below the radar sales over time as a good racer to get when you get a new console, and although it'll be slow it'll keep selling as Xbox One keeps selling.

Were you this concerned with titanfall bundling earlier in the year or the myriad of other bundles throughout the year. Games get bundled why does this bundle concern you so much?

I'm sure you were ached over in anguish over the ACU bundles. Not only were two games being bundle but they had the audacity to also drop the price. /s

I don't really care about TF or Unity enough to voice any concerns about the game. And apart from TF, which was sold with every console at the time, what other game this year has been as heavily bundled as DC?

Anyway, to your point. I do care a lot about the future of DC and I want it to be a success, but some of the signs are worrying. The complete lack of faith the heavy bundling from Sony can be seen as them either wanting to establish the IP or a last ditch attempt to get the games into people's hands and hope they stick around long to pay for some DLC.

I really hope it's the former, but history leads me to believe it might be the latter.

I won't respond to your attempts to try and label my comments as concern trolling. You're in a sales thread where we discuss all manner of reasons for why a game is where is it or selling how it is and what the long term ramifications might be, try to contribute without the attempts to label anyone a concern troll or fanboy.

However, if you feel my posts aren't contributing to the topic at hand, you're free to contact a mod and have them decide if this should be a discussion that should be stopped or allowed to continue.

small44

MS and retailers alike decided against bundling it for some reason.

Or buying consoles that have the game bundled, which is basically all of the bundles currently available.

Still, it's helped to get the game in more people's hands, so it's probably not such a bad thing.

Time will tell if the IP is strong enough to stand on its own...

Why would people buy a bundle with a game you don't like ,a game being bundled doesn't necessarily mean it will do good as exemple i can name Sunset overdrive

<3 <3 DriveClub still charting <3 <3

Edit: Even if a great part of it comes from bundles, it's still good news. It means more people will get to play it, which leads to more potential customers should a sequel be released.

Yep, I think this is important at the end of the day. I pray this becomes a Sony staple series alongside Gran Turismo.

Why would people buy a bundle with a game you don't like ,a game being bundled doesn't necessarily mean it will do good as exemple i can name Sunset overdrive

When the majority of competitive bundles have three games and DC happens to be one, what do you expect people to do?

Demand that the store remove the game or buy the bundle and then either trade the game in (as some have done going by the numbers CEX have) or take it home and give it a go.

small44

When the majority of competitive bundles have three games and DC happens to be one, what do you expect people to do?

Demand that the store remove the game or buy the bundle and then either trade the game in (as some have done going by the numbers CEX have) or take it home and give it a go.

What do you mean by comptetive bundles?The less expensive ones?

Miles, I know you dont agree with me, but im going to say this again. If what you claim is true, the exact thing would of happened with the PS+ version.

Its easy to get caught up with the viewpoint of the hardcore on these boards but the fact is, the majority of people would of been and will be happy just to play a online "demo" with a few tracks and cars.

Conversion rates of the PS+ would of topped out at 25-30% at the very best.

You may argue that it might Sonys bottom line to give the game away to people who are only going to try it once and trade it in, but really its no different from people who download the PS+ version, try it and delete it.

The fact is, there is no DriveClub "Brand" yet. There is only DriveClub as a single game.

I think its far to soon even for Sony to even think about whether this series has a future, but having copies of shelves gathering dust isnt going to make a strong case for it.

At least with the bundling, its serving as a good value add for the thing that is selling well and does have a proven future:- The console itself.

Just like Knack before it, that may be all it can achieve but at least as a bundled value add, it provides an avenue to sell content further down the line via DLC.

Not only that, it eases retailer unease about ordering lots of the next big Sony exclusive in case that turns out to be a clunker too.

What do you mean by comptetive bundles?The less expensive ones?

Competitive in terms of giving consumers the most for their money. So a PS4 with three games for £350 is better than a PS4 with two games for the same price or a PS4 with three games for £350 is better than a PS4 with no games for £40 less.

Miles, I know you dont agree with me, but im going to say this again. If what you claim is true, the exact thing would of happened with the PS+ version.

Its easy to get caught up with the viewpoint of the hardcore on these boards but the fact is, the majority of people would of been and will be happy just to play a online "demo" with a few tracks abd cars.

Conversion rates of the PS+ would of topped out at 25-30% at the very best.

You may argue that it might Sonys bottom line to give the game away to people who are only going to try it once and trade it in, but really its no different from people who download the PS+ version, try it and delete it.

The fact is, there is no DriveClub "Brand" yet. There is only DriveClub as single iP.

I think its far to soon even for Sony to even think about whether this series has a future, but having copies of shelves gathering dust isnt going to make a strong case for it.

At least with the bundling, its serving as a good value add for the thing that is selling well and does have a proven future:- The console itself.

Just like Knack before it, that may be all it can achieve but at least as a bundled value add, it provides an avenue to sell content further down the line via DLC.

Not only that, it eases retailer unease about ordering lots of the next big Sony exclusive in case that turns out to be a clunker too.

I don't believe it would have applied with the Plus version, that was basically an enhanced demo, shareware if you will.

That was designed to encourage players to spend what amounted to slightly less than the total cost buying the game at retail/PS Store. What Sony are doing is giving away the entire game for free via bundles.

That can be a very good thing if it establishes the IP/brand in the long run and that's what I'm really hoping will happen, but the opposite can also turn out to be true and this could be the last time we see or hear anything about DC for the foreseeable future.

We do also have take how it reviewed into account as well, not to mention the problems with launch that lasted for upwards of a month. These, combined with how heavily Sony are bundling the game doesn't paint a very rosy future.

Still, this is all speculation and for all we know, Evo are already hard at work on DC2 and the IP has sold well enough for Sony to consider it a valuable IP in their future plans.

Competitive in terms of giving consumers the most for their money. So a PS4 with three games for £350 is better than a PS4 with two games for the same price or a PS4 with three games for £350 is better than a PS4 with no games for £40 less.

I don't believe it would have applied with the Plus version, that was basically an enhanced demo, shareware if you will.

That was designed to encourage players to spend what amounted to slightly less than the total cost buying the game at retail/PS Store. What Sony are doing is giving away the entire game for free via bundles.

That can be a very good thing if it establishes the IP/brand in the long run and that's what I'm really hoping will happen, but the opposite can also turn out to be true and this could be the last time we see or hear anything about DC for the foreseeable future.

We do also have take how it reviewed into account as well, not to mention the problems with launch that lasted for upwards of a month. These, combined with how heavily Sony are bundling the game doesn't paint a very rosy future.

Still, this is all speculation and for all we know, Evo are already hard at work on DC2 and the IP has sold well enough for Sony to consider it a valuable IP in their future plans.

Winrar is shareware as well *shrugs*

QaaQer

C

Rush said it sold above expectation, so yeah all spinning of negativity is kinda weird. Oh, well, at least most people aren't predicting EVO doom and calling for someone's head on a pike anymore.

Polyphony is no where near as big as Turn10, they are ~110 people.

oopps.

Game4life

Banned
Given the sales I would be more worried about the possibility of not getting another FH game than Drive Club. Driveclub's brand image is more affected after the fiasco but I think they are slowly starting to reverse that mindset.

Winrar is shareware as well *shrugs*

It is. And when that free trial is up, you're bombarded with pop ups telling you to buy a licence. It's their business model. It may work, it might not. Not sure how that applies to a game though. Your comparison of DC to Winrar seems flawed.

Rush said it sold above expectation, so yeah all spinning of negativity is kinda weird. Oh, well, at least most people aren't predicting EVO doom and calling for someone's head on a pike anymore..

There's no spinning of negativity. That seems to be something of a personal viewpoint you're projected onto my posts.

I'm merely theorizing about what the future might hold for DC and what such heavy bundling could mean.

Given the sales I would be more worried about the possibility of not getting another FH game than Drive Club. Driveclub's brand image is more affected after the fiasco but I think they are slowly starting to reverse that mindset.

I wouldn't be surprised if Horizon 2 is the last Horizon we see for the foreseeable future. It simply hasn't taken off or been able to establish more than a small niche in the market.

The first had the excuse of no marketing to explain away poor sales, no such excuse can be made for the sequel with how big the marketing campaign was.

Game4life

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if Horizon 2 is the last Horizon we see for the foreseeable future. It simply hasn't taken off or been able to establish more than a small niche in the market.

The first had the excuse of no marketing to explain away poor sales, no such excuse can be made for the sequel with how big the marketing campaign was.

MS has been so incompetent at marketing what was clearly an amazing game.How difficult could it be to freaking bundle Horizon 2 with the console and get it in more people's hands. Same problem with Sunset overdrive. If the game is not selling as well on it's own, bundling it and getting it in more people's hands will atleast give the franchise a loyal fanbase to work with in the future. Instead they have time to bundle the shit known as AC unity.

Karatechop250

Neo Member

Well Horizon 2 is over a million sales on the Xbox One (leaderboards). Still thought it should have sold 2 to 3 million easily. I hope not I love the Forza Horizon franchise plus the fact that they piggyback off turn 10 helps keep the costs of producing such games low.

MS has been so incompetent at marketing what was clearly an amazing game.How difficult could it be to freaking bundle Horizon 2 with the console and get it in more people's hands. Same problem with Sunset overdrive. If the game is not selling as well on it's own, bundling it and getting it in more people's hands will atleast give the franchise a loyal fanbase to work with in the future. Instead they have time to bundle the shit known as AC unity.

Yeah, the ad for Horizon 2 left a lot to be desired. Still, at least they tried this this instead of just throwing it out there with no fanfare.

baby steps.

Well Horizon 2 is over a million sales on the Xbox One (leaderboards). Still thought it should have sold 2 to 3 million easily. I hope not I love the Forza Horizon franchise plus the fact that they piggyback off turn 10 helps keep the costs of producing such games low.

That's not bad, but still seems pretty low considering the marketing campaign and that it had a few weeks of no other releases to stand in its way.

There are rumors, apparently, that MS may bid on the Formula One license and have Playground make an F1 game exclusively for the XBO.

Hmm, would prefer they try something with rally, never was much of an F1 fan. Still, could be interesting.

Forza F1 or just F1 I wonder...

chadskin

So the Codemasters license only lasts up until 2015 with future years being up for grabs?

It was never officially announced when their licensing deal expires as far as I know, just said it's a multi-year agreement but they signed the first contract in 2008 and extended it in 2012. So 2016 seems logical. And Playground could begin the work already because let's face it, MS has the upper hand in a bidding war. ;)

I do remain skeptical whether the FIA would really limit the reach of their most popular brand like that, especially in their core market Europe where XBO sales are pretty bad except for the UK.

It's sad how much we hate Nintendo in the UK :(

I blame the Sega Megadrive. That's where it all began.

To indulge in some victim blaming. Nintendo doesn't exactly make things easy. They have so little marketing presence in the UK, it's no wonder the continue to flounder in the charts, even with what is arguably the most compelling line up of exclusive games of all the consoles this year.

People asking for Dragon Age Inquisition, it was 5th in week 47 then dropped to 33rd for week 48 in the individual units charts the OP posts, its gone now folks.

DA Inquisition PS3/360 individual charts was around 5-6 place and in the top 20 for a 3-4 weeks. So it did sell some but it seems a similar thing happened across the EU and it wasn't in the NPD, we'll see in the next one.

All formats UK DA I was 5th, 14th, 20th then out of top 40

Dragon Age 2 was number 1 in the UK all formats and individual units and was in the top 20 for around 6 weeks for all formats. PS3 charts it was number 1,4,7,16,17 over the month. X360 was even better. UK did buy Dragon Age 2 and DAI

Looks like DAI dropped off quickly on PS4 and XB1 and maybe late Nov is not the best time with GTAV and other big games like Far Cry AC Unity. DA2 released in March 2011. Also maybe got lost in shuffle of new and old console excitement, not much advertising to go against the others big promotions.

I only checked because I remember DA2 being a big thing in the UK and thought DAI looked the best of the series so far, thought about getting it, not played any DA yet.

Hasney

The bolded is unknown. However, given the fact that Evo is a studio with a mere 45 devs, vs Polyphony and Turn10 (both with approx 300) leads me to believe that the budget for DC was tiny for an AAA game and that the studio is very efficient.

It might be semantics, but a 11 month delay can't be seen as efficient when it was supposed to be their launch flagship no matter how many people are involved. Don;t get me wrong, that's not GT inefficient, so Sony may still see it as a comparative success.

sam777

It was never officially announced when their licensing deal expires as far as I know, just said it's a multi-year agreement but they signed the first contract in 2008 and extended it in 2012. So 2016 seems logical. And Playground could begin the work already because let's face it, MS has the upper hand in a bidding war. ;)

I do remain skeptical whether the FIA would really limit the reach of their most popular brand like that, especially in their core market Europe where XBO sales are pretty bad except for the UK.

I don't think the FIA care about the game, we all know its about money for them.
If MS do get the rights I am confident PlayGround will do a very good job.

I completely agree. However, 1 million+ on the XB1 leaderboards isn't bad at all for a game that didn't get a huge amount of promotion and had no bundles. It could've done much better though for such a quality game.

Also, I still don't understand why they didn't make the Sunset Overdrive Bundle more widely available, there was so much demand for it.

Lucreto

I completely agree. However, 1 million+ on the XB1 leaderboards isn't bad at all for a game that didn't get a huge amount of promotion and had no bundles. It could've done much better though for such a quality game.

Also, I still don't understand why they didn't make the Sunset Overdrive Bundle more widely available, there was so much demand for it.

I didn't see much demand for the Sunset bundle even with the heavy Tv advertising. I can still go into a shop and buy it off the shelf. Amazon UK only recently sold out even when the demand was not high for it. It was in the #200 range on Amazon since mid-November.

sensi97

Styti.png

France:
Week 50, 2014 - Individual Formats (Value)

01 (__) PS4 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (__) PS4 ASSASSIN'S CREED: UNITY - SPECIAL EDITION (UBISOFT)
03 (05) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
04 (__) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
05 (04) WII JUST DANCE 2015 (UBISOFT)

Kysen

I didn't see much demand for the Sunset bundle even with the heavy Tv advertising. I can still go into a shop and buy it off the shelf. Amazon UK only recently sold out even when the demand was not high for it. It was in the #200 range on Amazon since mid-November.

Its because SSO isn't actually good. Game was way over hyped on gaf. I put in a few hours and had enough. Typical open world fare and forgettable.

Its because SSO isn't actually good. Game was way over hyped on gaf. I put in a few hours and had enough. Typical open world fare and forgettable.

Ive only started playing it, but im getting the same feeling. However, I will say the traversal mechanics can be fun, but feel hella restrictive compared to JGR, which people love to compare this to.

Honestly, I think Sonic Generations has better rail grinding *shrugs*

Pezus

Leaderboards numbers do not equal sales though. Sales should be lower given that each XB1 can have multiple accounts + used sales + people lending the game to friends.

Top Bottom