• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 7, 2008

Haunted

Phife Dawg said:
Well, I'll play you once my Wii gets home from the repair center (probably 1-2 weeks). But yeah, the series really is Nintendo's read headed stepchild :-(.
I meant in real life. If I were the only player on this forum, I would be seriously worried. >_< I'm liking the game (only had time to play like two levels so far), but as with all strategy games, I think I prefer completing the SP campaign over participating in lengthy MP battles.

I'll definitely play with you of course - just for fun, as always. :)

Damn, your Wii is in repairs right now? Sucks :/ Did the GPU overheat or what?

Jammy

Banned
spwolf said:
nothing wrong with some budget games.

Top 10 by revenue in the UK:
4x 360
4x PS3

Hey! Let's go by profit. Why not?

7x NDS
3x WII

:lol

EDIT: It looks like Wii Zappers are sold out everywhere, as is Mario and Sonic at the Olympics (Wii). That and both Link's Crossbow Training and Ghost Squad dropped like rocks because of this. It's a shame that the number of titles that chart on Wii is limited many weeks just because of stock. People can't seem to get enough of the system.

nli10

Frillen said:
I hate Nintendo's attidute towards BWii. It's like it doesn't excist for them.

It was the main title splashed on their .co.uk page for a good few weeks now, and it's the most prominent Wii games in lots of shops like GAME i've been in.

No exactly TV advertising I know. :(

I love the propper Wars series (including the new DS one) and releasing this so close to the DS version is lunacy. All the real fans (well me anyway) are still charging through that one! `Would have done much better to release it pretty much any time except 3 weeks after the last version.

Kagy's Maths training starts off at 7 year old territory and develops up to mental arithmatic that uni students would be pushed to nail first time. The trouble it it takes ages to get there on the daily play mode (you can sneak ahead in practise). I'm still counting to 10 and doing adding up to 10 and I've had it since Thursday... Might make a thread for this title - it's very 'homework' but actually quite good.

Oh and several people above list 42 all time classics in their 'list warz' of what in their opinionated eyes doesn't diserve to sell. These people are fools, and if you own a DS without this title then you probably aren't a real gamer. ;)

The Wii Darts game suffers a large drop - indicative of a hardcore following for the title and pre-orders, not mass casual sales as was thought. As this was a £35 niche game this is an odd thing to happen.
Our 'WOW' at the sales last week was mainly that the previous PS2 & PC versions of the same title released 2 weeks before didn't register on the chart but the Wii version went top 5. Maybe EA should get working on a new sports franchise?

Otherwise from a UK retail POV the Wii is now in excess supply in shops, even Woolworths - king of the mom and dad shops - had signs up shocked that they hadn't sold out yet. Hopefully this means Nintnedo will realise tha they do still have to try in the UK and announce their Easter schedule including Fit & Smash and all will be right in the world.

Next week will continue the hang over from this weeks DS sales (they always rocket in the 2nd week) and as the hardware is available too expect more from Sonic at number 1. Cooking Mama 2 has free games with it @ Game Station and £10 bonus games at GAME and as it's half Term week in London now expect bored girls with money to go for this one in droves.

Be interesting to see whether the latest Final Fantasy cash in drops like the GBA versions or hovers like FF3 and the PSP remakes.

Next high profile Nintendo release is Magic Training in 4 weeks time, that says it all really... :lol

DSXBoy

SovanJedi said:
What has happened to the Wii version of Mario & Sonic? Did the DS version completely kill its chances outright, or is it shortage of software stock, or what?
It's sold out, it's Sega's fault.

Frillen

jrricky said:
Whats the LTD of Mario and Sonic Wii and DS combined? Its got to be close to 2 million by now.

It as to be way over 2 Million at this point.

Wii version

NA: 1 Mill+
Japan: 500k
Europe: Probably somewhere between 500k and 1 Mill

DS version:

NA: 200k
Japan: 200k
Europe: Probably somewhere between 100k and 200k

So, yeah, it could even have sold over 3 Mill at this point.

nli10

DSXBoy said:
It's sold out, it's Sega's fault.

I blame Nintendo for making those Darn Wii's so available again!

I'd lay odds that as the DS sales decline in the week after this one the Wii copies will appear back in the shops. It's still possible to find, but it's a tough task.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Frillen said:
It as to be way over 2 Million at this point.

Wii version

NA: 1 Mill+
Japan: 500k
Europe: Probably somewhere between 500k and 1 Mill

DS version:

NA: 200k
Japan: 200k
Europe: Probably somewhere between 100k and 200k

So, yeah, it could even have sold over 3 Mill at this point.
The Wii version sold more than 500k in the UK alone, probably more than 1.5m in all PAL territories.

jgwhiteus

starship said:
The Wii version sold more than 500k in the UK alone, probably more than 1.5m in all PAL territories.

Yeah, I think the original 4M target for both Wii + DS is pretty much a given at this point...the Wii version alone could hit 4M by the time the Olympics roll around.

Who would've thought that Sega's original prediction was actually conservative?

nli10

starship said:

Yeah - confirmed in last Weeks' chart track blurb. Well on it's way to the double platinum list in the UK (600k needed). Be mad if both the DS and Wii combined sold a Million in just the UK. Mad but looking shockingly likely.

Nintendo + SEGA + greatest sports license possible = win.

jgwhiteus said:
Yeah, I think the original 4M target for both Wii + DS is pretty much a given at this point...the Wii version alone could hit 4M by the time the Olympics roll around.

Who would've thought that Sega's original prediction was actually conservativ

I think that crow should be preordered for those that LOLed in the original thread otherwise there will be mass supply shortages...

jgwhiteus said:

Just bookmark this thread for future shits and giggles.

Dash

Frillen said:
I hate Nintendo's attidute towards BWii. It's like it doesn't excist for them.

Also good to see DMC4 360>DMC4 PS3.

Why is that good to see? I'd like both versions to do as well as possible, given what an awesome game it is.

Dash said:
Why is that good to see? I'd like both versions to do as well as possible, given what an awesome game it is.

I was more going to say it's a good thing to see the PS3 version not get ass-raped for once in sales.

909er

C- Warrior said:
I was more going to say it's a good thing to see the PS3 version not get ass-raped for once in sales.

This is Europe though. The PS3 is usually the pitcher and the 360's the catcher, with them switching places once in a while.

Haunted One said:
I meant in real life. If I were the only player on this forum, I would be seriously worried. >_< I'm liking the game (only had time to play like two levels so far), but as with all strategy games, I think I prefer completing the SP campaign over participating in lengthy MP battles.

I'll definitely play with you of course - just for fun, as always. :)

Damn, your Wii is in repairs right now? Sucks :/ Did the GPU overheat or what?
Oh I see, but with this being region locked I thought you were referring to the lack of PALers with the game.

Yeah it sucks, I have MoH flying around here and wanted to get BWii, but alas my DVD drive started to make crazy sounds (makes an old 360 drive sound like a whisper in comparison). It was so loud I couldn't play - not even with headphones :lol . I hope they just replace the drive, I saved some of my Miis to my remotes but I'd loose a good deal. Why can't you backup that friggin' channel? So stupid.

nli10 said:
Oh and several people above list 42 all time classics in their 'list warz' of what in their opinionated eyes doesn't diserve to sell. These people are fools, and if you own a DS without this title then you probably aren't a real gamer. ;)
So true, I mean these are just trolls, but still...

nli10

Souldriver said:
Just bookmark this thread for future shits and giggles.

Classic thread that :lol , but I think the 4 Million quote explosion is buried in a sales age thread somewhere :(

Ed: OR NOT!!

I sent my Curious Penguin avatar into the search engine and found the

Mario and Sonic 4 Million Thread in all of it's glory.

And as it's a game that will make children more likely to watch the Olympics and become interested in sport (and may prevent SEGA/Sammy from death) I say it's a good thing.

Innotech

Banned
I was playing M&S with some friends this weekend actually. I love the game a lot.
Especially rowing, trampoline, and archery.

Pistolero

Loudninja said:
Turok is doing much better than I thought.

Well, you shouldn't be that surprised. Games suuccess has become (to a great extent) inversly proportional to their intrinsic quality.

SalientOne

Internet Batman
Pistolero said:
Well, you shouldn't be that surprised. Games suuccess has become (to a great extent) inversly proportional to their intrinsic quality.

Have you actually played the actual game, or is this a function of your heretofore unrealized psychic abilities? Because outside of some knob-headed reviewers, most people are actually saying the game is good.

Lightning

Banned
909er said:
This is Europe though. The PS3 is usually the pitcher and the 360's the catcher, with them switching places once in a while.
This is the UK though. I've yet to see a chart where the 360 version is selling more outside the UK in PAL territory. And don't mind C-Warrior, in Europe the 360 will not be ass raping anybody at any stage this gen. With the UK or without the UK. The system just sucks too much outside the UK for that to be possible.

Lobster

Banned
jgwhiteus said:

me :lol

Sonic is a beast in the UK..

Really satisfied with the charts this week :D The love is shared all around!

nli10 said:
Yeah - confirmed in last Weeks' chart track blurb. Well on it's way to the double platinum list in the UK (600k needed). Be mad if both the DS and Wii combined sold a Million in just the UK. Mad but looking shockingly likely.

Combined to a million in the UK? I think it has a shot at hitting a million on each version in the UK.

Kind of a long shot. But if the legs keep up, it can reach it. Combined, they can reach 8 million worldwide. Really depends on how the DS version sells. It just released. No idea of the legs on that version.

Kaworu

La industria del ocio interactivo habría podido incrementar económicamente en 2007 en cifras cercanas al 20 por ciento con respecto a 2006, según datos de aDeSe y GfK Internacional dados a conocer por R. Farell, presidente de Planeta Interactive España. Durante 2007, y atendiendo a estas declaraciones emitidas durante la mesa redonda "Futuro Pixelado" celebrada la pasada semana en el POWUAD de Barcelona, el sector del videojuego habría facturado más de 1.200 millones de euros en España.

From Meristation

Spanish H&S Industry grows 20%, 1.2 billion &#8364;.

En concreto, el volumen de consolas adquiridas creció un 63,5% en relación con 2006, mientras que el valor total de las ventas aumentó un 106,4%, un crecimiento al que ha contribuido el lanzamiento de productos específicos que amplían el espectro de consumidores de videoconsolas, como los juegos para el desarrollo de la memoria o los simuladores de deportes que permiten jugar en familia.

Spanish hardware grows a fucking 63'5% year-to-year.

De los 2,2 millones de consolas vendidas, el 43,3% fueron estáticas y el 56,7%, portátiles. Al ser el precio de estas últimas más reducido, supusieron el 41,2% del valor de venta, mientras que las videoconsolas en formato estático representaron el 58,8% del valor total de ventas.

2'2 million units, 56'7% handhelds. By revenue consoles represents 58'8% of the hardware market.

La consultora considera que el mercado de los videojuegos constituye uno de los principales productos destinados al ocio, dado que en 2007 se vendieron 14,3 millones de unidades, por valor de 468,4 millones de euros.

14'3 million games, PC&all.

Las ventas se concentran fundamentalmente en los videojuegos para consola, que aglutinan el 81,2% de las unidades y el 89,7% de las ventas totales, con un incremento del 35% en relación a 2006. Por su parte, los videojuegos para PC representaron el 18,8% del volumen de ventas y el 10,3% del valor.

PC Market in revenue 10'3% and 18'8% in volume of sales.

From ElEconomista

Xyphie

I found this chart with numbers of games sold in 2007 for each system today in Sweden's biggest Newspaper and thought that I'd share it here as it might be of some interest in this thread.

I'm very surprised X360 is as strong as it is here in Sweden as it seems to be very weak in the rest of Europe (except UK) and also that Wii numbers are below PS3.

Code:
[B]Platform 		Number of games sold	Percentage of sales[/B]

PC 			3 660 734 		47,70% 	
Playstation 2 		1 726 103 		22,50% 
Xbox 360 		728 757 		9,50% 
Nintendo DS 		435 672 		5,70% 
Playstation 3 		395 022 		5,10% 
Wii 			360 371 		4,70% 
PSP 			218 085 		2,80% 	
Xbox 			83 474 			1,10%
Game Boy Advance 	56 916 			0,70% 	
Gamecube 		9 695 			0,10% 

Total 			7 674 829

Source: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesliv/recensioner/spelnytt/article1871743.ab

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Xyphie said:
I found this chart with numbers of games sold in 2007 for each system today in Sweden's biggest Newspaper and though that I'd share it here as it might be of some interest in this thread.

I'm very surprised X360 is as strong as it is here in Sweden as it seems to be very weak in the rest of Europe (except UK) and also that Wii numbers are below PS3.

Code:
[B]Platform 		Number of games sold	Percentage of sales[/B]

PC 			3 660 734 		47,70% 	
Playstation 2 		1 726 103 		22,50% 
Xbox 360 		728 757 		9,50% 
Nintendo DS 		435 672 		5,70% 
Playstation 3 		395 022 		5,10% 
Wii 			360 371 		4,70% 
PSP 			218 085 		2,80% 	
Xbox 			83 474 			1,10%
Game Boy Advance 	56 916 			0,70% 	
Gamecube 		9 695 			0,10% 

Total 			7 674 829

Source: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesliv/recensioner/spelnytt/article1871743.ab
What's the install base difference? Also PS3 did come out about 1/4 into the year.

2up4lc5.png

Germany :
Week 7, 2008http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9743677&postcount=225

01 (02) [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
02 (01) [NDS] More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)
03 (__) [NDS] Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)
04 (06) [NDS] Pr. Kageyama's Maths Training (Nintendo)
05 (03) [PS3] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom)
06 (10) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)[/QUOTE]
07 (09) [NDS] Animal Crossing : Wild World (Nintendo)
08 (__) [WII] Game Party (Midway)
09 (05) [PS3] Turok (Disney Interactive Studios)
10 (__) [NDS] Practice English! (Nintendo)

And also the German PC charts:

01 (01) Call of Duty 4
02 (02) World of Warcraft
03 (03) WoW: The Burning Crusade
04 (06) NfS: Most Wanted
05 (04) Counter Strike Source
06 (05) Crysis
07 (09) Counter Strike 1 Anthology
08 (10) The Witcher
09 (07) Star Wars Battlefront 2
10 (RE) WoW Battlechest

Raist

Banned
2eygkn5.png

Sweden :
Week 7, 2008http://www.dataspelsbranschen.se/listing.aspx?y=2008&w=7

01 (11) [PS2] Guitar Hero III : Legends of Rock (Activision)
02 (05) [PS2] Singstar Svenska hits Schlager (SCE)
03 (03) [PC] World of Warcraft (Vivendi Games)
04 (04) [WII] Guitar Hero III : Legends of Rock (Activision)
05 (09) [PC] Counter-Strike 1 : Anthology (Electronic Arts)
06 (08) [PC] World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (Vivendi Games)
07 (07) [PS3] Guitar Hero III : Legends of Rock (Activision)
08 (18) [360] Guitar Hero III : Legends of Rock (Activision)
09 (06) [PC] Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare (Activision)
10 (01) [PS3] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom)
11 (14) [PS2] Ratatouille (THQ)
12 (02) [360] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom)
13 (16) [PS2] Ace Combat The Belkan War (Namco)
14 (15) [WII] Rayman Raving Rabbids (Ubisoft)
15 (17) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
16 (__) [PS2] Guitar Hero II (Activision)
17 (10) [PS3] Uncharted : Drake's Fortune (SCE)
18 (__) [PC] Warcraft III : Reign Of Chaos (Vivendi Games)
19 (__) [PC] Crysis (Electronic Arts)
20 (__) [PC] Battlefield 2 (Electronic Arts)

Tyrannical said:
But seven of those titles had better selling 360 versions......
Yeah, in the end it may be misleading though. Sonycowboy was so nice as to post the January ChartTrack analysis.

FULL PRICE FORMAT SHARE (units)

1. Wii (21.2%)
2. PC (18.6%)
3. Xbox 360 (16.0%)
4. DS (15.9%)
5. PS3 (14.9%)
6. PS2 (8.0%)
7. PSP (5.2%)
8. Mac (0.3%)

It seems like the UK market is on it's way to follow every major market in Europe (with the exception of Italy).

Holy shit at COD4 just sticking around in both Europe and the US. What sort of numbers is it up to WW. COD4 must not be too far behind halo 3. Seriously impressive sales.

Also happy to see sales of DMC4 on both platforms.

Doc Evils

AdventureRacing said:
Holy shit at COD4 just sticking around in both Europe and the US. What sort of numbers is it up to WW. COD4 must not be too far behind halo 3. Seriously impressive sales.

Also happy to see sales of DMC4 on both platforms.

I'm pretty sure COD4 has gone past Halo 3.

Tyrannical said:
But seven of those titles had better selling 360 versions......

6 actually. Burnout continues its better performance on PS3.

FULL PRICE FORMAT SHARE (units)

1. Wii (21.2%)
2. PC (18.6%)
3. Xbox 360 (16.0%)
4. DS (15.9%)
5. PS3 (14.9%)
6. PS2 (8.0%)
7. PSP (5.2%)
8. Mac (0.3%)

Yeah, I was reading that myself last Friday. Very interesting to see just how close that is, all things considered.

Raist

Banned
87m2hiv.png

France :
Week 5, 2008

01 (02) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
02 (01) [PS3] Burnout Paradise (Electronic Arts)
03 (03) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
04 (05) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
05 (07) [NDS] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
06 (10) [PS3] Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare (Activision)
07 (09) [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
08 (04) [360] Burnout Paradise (Electronic Arts)
09 (__) [WII] Guitar Hero III : Legends of Rock (Activision)
10 (08) [NDS] More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)
11 (06) [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
12 (__) [NDS] Asterix at the Olympic Games (Atari)
13 (11) [WII] Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Ubisoft)
14 (15) [WII] Big Brain Academy : Wii Degree (Nintendo)
15 (12) [NDS] TLoZ : Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo)
16 (14) [WII] TLoZ : Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
17 (__) [WII] Asterix at the Olympic Games (Atari)
18 (13) [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
19 (16) [PS3] Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
20 (__) [NDS] Advance Wars : Dark Conflict (Nintendo)

Titles per platform :
WII - 9
NDS - 7
PS3 - 3
360 - 1

Raist said:
87m2hiv.png

France :
Week 5, 2008

09 (__) [WII] Guitar Hero III : Legends of Rock (Activision)
11 (06) [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
12 (__) [NDS] Asterix at the Olympic Games (Atari)
17 (__) [WII] Asterix at the Olympic Games (Atari)
Yay, AW! I haven't kept track but is this the first week GHIII Wii charted? If so why now? Price drop at a big retailer?

With the DS version of M&S we'll have 4 Olympic titles in the charts soon - way before the Olympics, not bad.

spwolf

eh, i posted in wrong thread.

So with Wii being in stock accross UK retailers for last few days, at least online... what does that mean for monday? How many times will I be called out to witness the greatness? :D

Raist

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Yay, AW! I haven't kept track but is this the first week GHIII Wii charted? If so why now? Price drop at a big retailer?

GHIII bombed pretty badly in France. It charted only once (Wii version, the week before christmas, and at #19). Well twice if you count this week.
Neither the PS3 nor the 360 versions ever charted.

Raist said:
GHIII bombed pretty badly in France. It charted only once (Wii version, the week before christmas, and at #19). Well twice if you count this week.
Neither the PS3 nor the 360 versions ever charted.
Europe doesn't seem to like GH all that much - too bad, fun game.

Raist

Banned
So basically I was bored.
This figure is for french charts. Couldn't find regular data before week 34, 2007

29ej2xf.png

Top Bottom