• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pandora's Tower releasing on Wii U eShop in NA tomorrow.

Erheller

Word. What did yall not like about Xenoblade?

Some unorganized and unpolished thoughts about Xenoblade:

Xenoblade definitely had potential for me. The things it does well it does really well - the exploration, the world, and the music are all fantastic. But the rest of the game is a jumbled mess of systems that don't really add to the game. The relationship system, for example, just seems shoehorned in. Raising the affection levels of party members towards each other never gave me the feeling that the party was actually growing closer to each other. And the date scenes you get as a reward have extremely stilted dialogue, and awful writing. There's also the gem crafting system, and the collectables system, and the Colony 6 system, and the area affinity system, and so on.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that the game has all of these systems, but they're all done kind of half-heartedly. None of the systems have any real depth to them, they just feel like they're... there to fluff the game's playtime. I would have preferred if there were fewer, but more fleshed-out systems. Like making the affection system actually change the battle dialogue (I don't remember any new lines being added as characters got "closer" to each other) or having the collectables system actually do something significant instead of just handing you an item.

The writing was also sub-par, as well. The main plot was pretty uninteresting (at least until the beginning of
Sword Valley
, where I stopped). At several points, the villains are able to kill off Shulk and company entirely, but don't because reasons. I could forgive this happening once or twice, but it was a common occurrence. I didn't find the characters engaging at all, either. None of the characters had any real depth as of when I stopped playing - they all adhered quite strictly to the anime stereotype they played. And the voice lines for the characters were not endearing at all. They were annoying. Thank god for dual audio.

I personally didn't like the combat, but I can understand how it can appeal to other people. For me, the combat was underwhelming because of two main reasons: one, the inability to control (or program, like in FFXII) your party members, and two, the importance of agility. The AI in Xenoblade was awful for Melia, and pretty bad for Shulk. The only time when Melia is useful is when she's being directly controlled by the player. Shulk is a character that uses his skill attacks (I forget what they're called, the skills that charge by auto-attacking like Buster and the anti-mech buff) to buff the entire party, but he often uses them at the wrong time, sometimes preferring to use Buster at the beginning of a mechon battle instead of using the anti-mech buff. Agility made it so that unless you're stacking agility yourself, it's impossible to touch enemies that are over 5-10 levels above you because you literally cannot hit them while they will have perfect accuracy on your team.

I'm going to stop there, I don't want to derail the thread.

Kouriozan

is this like a major thing in that game?

because if so then I can never play it.

The main female character, Elena, is cursed and has to eat the tower masters flesh to get rid of it.
In the meantime, she is a follower of a religion called Aios, that forbid them to eat meat.

Oh and Noctis is in the game :lol

d496464fb60b1fb51d70f1ea54a272c0.jpg

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just beat the first boss. Enjoying it so far. Anything I need to know regarding crafting/gifting?

This Google doc is very helpful, has a list of combinations for items and what time you can find rare items in the towers, among other things. I would recommend prioritizing the bag upgrades (you give the items to Elena, like the leather belt, there are a couple others as well).

For raising affinity (the point of gifting) just be sure to talk to Elena as much as possible every time you come back from the tower (until she starts repeating herself). Sometimes you'll get dialogue that will prompt a choice of response from you, and if you give the correct answer (the obvious one) that will raise your affinity as well. You can also sleep and wake up at a different hour and talk to her again.

The meat rewards that Mavda can give you are also very useful (and I don't think is explicitly mentioned in the game at all), since the third reward is usually an item that solely exists for the purpose of gifting it to Elena. Note that the amounts refer to the amount of money Mavda pays you for the meat, and that you have to get those amounts in one run, it isn't cumulative.

kunonabi

Word. What did yall not like about Xenoblade?

Not fan of the battle system or the side quests. It's still a great game and I'm psyched for XCX but I just didn't enjoy playing it as much as the other two and isn't a game I can play more than once unlike Pandora's Tower and The Last Story which are both more fun to 100% and replay.

Teuoxton

To commemorate this rerelease I will play through the game again tonight (disc version) and read through the Iwata Asks on it.

Ganbarion really tried with it and spent a lot of time creating the characters, so I hope we can see a sequel.

Eyothrie

We can probably assume that Xenoblade will eventually come out on the eShop in the states. I just hope we get The Last Story at some point too.

TheMoon

hm..the forgotten rainfall game - for me at least. is my memory fucked or was this the least well regarded of those games?

Yes, since it had no prestigious developer behind it and was also Ganbarion's first original title (and thus a little rough around the edges compared to the other two from veteran creators).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I held off for so long on this gem because a bunch of people dubbed it as the 'weak link' of the rainfall games and other such comments meant purely to emphasize the "other" two. Because monolith and guchi...

Finally picked it up early this year and was amazed at how unique and creative it actually was. Flawed in some ways but a real gem of a game. Definitely no worse than the other two given their own issues as well.

Glad it got a digital release. More ppl should try it. Also makes me miss the unconventional pointer controls of wii gaming. Even though imperfect, I loved the risks and the uniqueness. The gamepad is not the same this gen.

TheMoon

I held off for so long on this gem because a bunch of people dubbed it as the 'weak link' of the rainfall games and other such comments meant purely to emphasize the "other" two. Because monolith and guchi...

Finally picked it up early this year and was amazed at how unique and creative it actually was. Flawed in some ways but a real gem of a game. Definitely no worse than the other two given their own issues as well.

Glad it got a digital release. More ppl should try it. Also makes me miss the unconventional pointer controls of wii gaming. Even though imperfect, I loved the risks and the uniqueness. The gamepad is not the same this gen.

The worst part of the triforce of awesome is still made of awesome. :)

Vena

To commemorate this rerelease I will play through the game again tonight (disc version) and read through the Iwata Asks on it.

Ganbarion really tried with it and spent a lot of time creating the characters, so I hope we can see a sequel.

They did an excellent job and I hope they are given another shot at a similar game, but I don't think PT needs a sequel for what it was trying to do as it wrapped up story neatly and nicely.

tbd

The main female character, Elena, is cursed and has to eat the tower masters flesh to get rid of it.
In the meantime, she is a follower of a religion called Aios, that forbid them to eat meat.

Oh and Noctis is in the game :lol

d496464fb60b1fb51d70f1ea54a272c0.jpg

Yeah, because this isn't the most generic anime hair since pretty boys in anime exist. It also doesn't look very goofy in Pandora's Tower since it doesn't go for a realistic art style at the same time.

Conezays

This Google doc is very helpful, has a list of combinations for items and what time you can find rare items in the towers, among other things. I would recommend prioritizing the bag upgrades (you give the items to Elena, like the leather belt, there are a couple others as well).

For raising affinity (the point of gifting) just be sure to talk to Elena as much as possible every time you come back from the tower (until she starts repeating herself). Sometimes you'll get dialogue that will prompt a choice of response from you, and if you give the correct answer (the obvious one) that will raise your affinity as well. You can also sleep and wake up at a different hour and talk to her again.

The meat rewards that Mavda can give you are also very useful (and I don't think is explicitly mentioned in the game at all), since the third reward is usually an item that solely exists for the purpose of gifting it to Elena. Note that the amounts refer to the amount of money Mavda pays you for the meat, and that you have to get those amounts in one run, it isn't cumulative.

Great, thanks. Onto the third tower :)

eXistor

It's one of those (many) games I started up for a few hours, decided I liked it and was gonna play more sometime in the near future and never did.

Someday...

Conezays

You'll want to play it with a Wiimote and Nunchuk if you have access to them.

Yep. I was controlling it okay with the gamepad, but it's definitely better once I switched to wiimote/nunchuk.

One question to those who've been through it: Do you go back to past locations to grind for gear or levels ever? Or do you just progress through the game in a linear fashion?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yep. I was controlling it okay with the gamepad, but it's definitely better once I switched to wiimote/nunchuk.

One question to those who've been through it: Do you go back to past locations to grind for gear or levels ever? Or do you just progress through the game in a linear fashion?
Yes, certain towers have specific items to upgrade/craft weapons/items/armor or items of affection for Elena.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Spoilers about her condition:
She's cursed and has to eat the flesh of beasts to retain her human form. If you fail to deliver her food on a regular basis... well... So yes, it is a major element and plot point of the game.

She was a vegetarian before her curse and a priestess of sorts so you can imagine what she has to go through.

You give her monster meat. It's never really that graphic though.
It just looks like a purple lump.

It's a major story element.

The sounds are pretty horrifying.

Thank you for the replied. If it's just unidentifiable "flesh" then I'd be OK. If it's the beasts' hearts then I would not.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
As far as gameplay and controls are concerned it's one of the best examples on the system of how a "core gamer's" game (think PS2 era game) can benefit from being on the Wii. Had the console received more games like this and earlier in its lifetime I believe far less gamers would have considered it a fad.

Javier

I give this game lots of credit for one thing: It really does a fantastic job at making you feel awful if you mess up.

Conezays

I give this game lots of credit for one thing: It really does a fantastic job at making you feel awful if you mess up.

Definitely.

I've read conflicting things online regarding the late-game glitch. Is there a current de facto way to get past it? Not sure if this has been fixed in the Wii U version either.

Kevtones

Also, the endings to this game are wildly different. They're attained in kind of weird ways though so be warned.

Wonderful and flawed title.

Vena

Also, the endings to this game are wildly different. They're attained in kind of weird ways though so be warned.

Wonderful and flawed title.

If anything, I'd say the endings are pretty straightforward if you piece together the narrative from the lore (read the books and translation), the game just makes you work really, really hard for the best ending.

Or you can just not give any beast flesh and be done in like 30 minutes!

Shiggy

I'm glad Ganbarion worked on Wii Fit U after this. Think that says enough about how much I disliked the game. Not sure what was worst, the game play, the blurry visuals, or having time limits on the levels.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You should know full well that nobody does this because it's effectively impossible to give you a discount for owning a physical copy.

Well being that they can transfer the saves I thought maybe there was a way to read the data on your WiiU and go from there.

TheMoon

Well being that they can transfer the saves I thought maybe there was a way to read the data on your WiiU and go from there.

Everyone could then just download a save file from gamefaqs and get a discount. There's simply no reliable way to do this.

ramparter

Banned
I own this game physically and I think it's stupid they didn't do a $9.99 sale. We pay a good portion of money on games and this series especially. Anyone who wanted it or knew about it about it, bought it. I'm not trying to be cheap. I buy a lot of games on their VC (for the lack of what they actually put on there) and I've bought some games again for my Wii U. I think Nintendo should at least try to think of our pocket books. Sure I'd like to have this digitally, but I already own it. I guess I'm not making a whole lot of sense and I can just use my physical disc. I would have liked to had played this this way. Heck I rebought Metroid Trilogy and Mario Galaxy 2 and I still own the Trilogy. If Nintendo would have made this $9.99 then I would have considered buying it. Nope, they went a head with the full $19.99.
Totally with you. 10€ was the sweet spot for me. I don't care if I have it or not at that price. I think Nintendo should in general cut in half all of their vc prices.

TheMoon

Totally with you. 10€ was the sweet spot for me. I don't care if I have it or not at that price. I think Nintendo should in general cut in half all of their vc prices.

10 for DS games is more than fine.
20 for Wii games is also a perfectly acceptable price. the only problem is that you easily can find disc copies of most games in bargain bins for less than that right now still.

most NES games need to go lower though. 3 for NES and 5 for SNES would be a great deal and still a fair value, I think. put them all a tier lower. N64 at 8.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm glad Ganbarion worked on Wii Fit U after this. Think that says enough about how much I disliked the game. Not sure what was worst, the game play, the blurry visuals, or having time limits on the levels.

Uh, do you mind going into detail on what is actualy wrong about the gameplay or time limits? Especially when theres a real reason for it being there.

Kouriozan

The puzzles and bosses were the best points of this game.
You can easily abuse the "time limit" that it's not even a con, (just go back to give Elena some flesh, you can open shortcuts inside the towers).
Gameplay was average to great depending on the weapons but like the atmosphere and music, just wished it had a little more variety, even being towers might bother some people.

Koren

10 for DS games is more than fine.
20 for Wii games is also a perfectly acceptable price. the only problem is that you easily can find disc copies of most games in bargain bins for less than that right now still.

most NES games need to go lower though. 3 for NES and 5 for SNES would be a great deal and still a fair value, I think. put them all a tier lower. N64 at 8.
I'd say it's also a matter of what are you exactly buying. I'd be more willing to pay 10 for a SNES game with a proper account system that allows me to transfer the game to a different console should my console die...

Vena

The puzzles and bosses were the best points of this game.
You can easily abuse the "time limit" that it's not even a con, (just go back to give Elena some flesh, you can open shortcuts inside the towers).
Gameplay was average to great depending on the weapons but like the atmosphere and music, just wished it had a little more variety, even being towers might bother some people.

Don't the flesh get worse for wear for her recovery (as in how much she recovers) with each successive master slain, or am I remembering wrong?

L Thammy

Don't the flesh get worse for wear for her recovery (as in how much she recovers) with each successive master slain, or am I remembering wrong?

I don't remember that happening. What I do remember is that it becomes trivially easy to get Dripping Flesh once you get a little bit into the game.

Vena

I don't remember that happening. What I do remember is that it becomes trivially easy to get Dripping Flesh once you get a little bit into the game.

You can get that as soon as the third tower with no difficulty. For some reason I must be misremembering the loss of effectiveness of meats.

Zekes!

I might have to double dip on this to play with the WiiU gamepad. It's not the most polished game, but it's definitely interesting

TheMoon

I'd say it's also a matter of what are you exactly buying. I'd be more willing to pay 10 for a SNES game with a proper account system that allows me to transfer the game to a different console should my console die...

(you can do that... )

Top Bottom