• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash |OT| Oh, Mario, you old flatterer, you

Just beat the game. Was much more enjoyable than sticker star, but still battles could be frustrating.

The music tho, the end credits especially :3

Senior Lurker

MS Informed
So exactly one week ago I finished Color Splash after about a 9-hour marathon session on Thursday to cover the last part. And it left me wanting more Paper Mario goodness, so much so that I immediately tracked Paper Mario TTYD (the only Paper Mario I never played), and just now started playing through that via Dolphin.

What can I say.. I ADORED Color Splash. The colors are super tasty vibrant. Music is great. The game has charm from beginning to end. Huey's banter is so much fun. Presentation is excellent; even those small camera zooms and movements to portray Mario being shocked/surprised etc, it all adds so much to the game.

Now I didn't dislike the battles as much as many people here seem to have, and I think that's mainly because some hours in I realized that I had two motives to fight:

1. Getting new enemy cards
2. Raising the max paint level (not as major as the above for me but it helped a lot)

Once I got a new enemy card, the next times I fought those enemies meant I would find the quickest way to beat them and move on, getting more coins and paint xp.

The major gripe I agree with others on is the lack of character variety. I can seem from just a few hours with TTYD that even with the different species, they got different characters that are drastically different, and they even wrote a small background blurp about each one when you use Goombella (is that her right name?) to Tattle.

Aside from that, the use of the paper aesthetic was great, and I loved coloring the missing bits.

Also it's weird to come back to a Paper Mario from 2004 having played all the other ones, but remember when on Sticker Star (and sort of on Color Splash) when you can't beat a boss unless you knew what special/thing card you had to use? The first boss on TTYD I lost to at first simply because I didn't know I had to equip something that I had already. It's the same concept and it's just that they expanded on it more I guess (kinda like an adventure game where an item advances your progress).

I loved all Paper Mario games and to be honest Color Splash is way up there. There's something about the quietness of the delivery (if that makes any sense) that stuck with me greatly.

I also love and played all the Mario & Luigi games and CS is also better than a couple of those. Surprisingly, the only M&L game I couldn't finish was Bowser's Inside Story; I just couldn't continue and got bored (and stuck sometimes) on the "inside" sections.

I'm looking forward to discovering more of the TTYD (which I know is hailed here by many), and I'm loving it so far and can see the fun of customizing with badges/different characters etc. I must say though that presentation wise CS beats it IMO (understandably as it came out 12 years after).

Bring on Paper Mario Switch Please!

Does anyone share (some of) my views?

Soundslike

Neo Member
The major gripe I agree with others on is the lack of character variety. I can seem from just a few hours with TTYD that even with the different species, they got different characters that are drastically different, and they even wrote a small background blurp about each one when you use Goombella (is that her right name?) to Tattle.

Aside from that, the use of the paper aesthetic was great, and I loved coloring the missing bits.

I have zero problems with every npc looking the same, its even kinda adorable.

the brigde builder toad in prisma town, toad that cheers when you cross his bridge :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I liked the added detail if you hit the bridge with your hammer.

& at the very least, they tried to make the toads have more variation this time around. Doesn't exactly fix the problem, but a step in the right direction.

We've played through the
pirate saga
a few days ago, getting big star number 4.. I finally get to play my train level soon (I love train stages!). Unfortunately, no time to play the game again till next week :D Are the Roshambo challenges worth it? I only tried them twice but never one a tournament yet.

Soundslike

Neo Member
Finding that green cosplayer in plum park was fun

Its kinda funny/sad that this game with all its charm and joy got all that hate BEFORE its release. Its like hating cotton-candy.

I just beat it and I'd say that I absolutely hate it. It's got way too many irritating design flaws, and a final boss that
is piss easy but regenerates if you miss one button timing segment
.Way too many parts where I felt like I was glad I'd never have to play that part again.

n64coder

Still enjoying the game. I'm working to get my second paint star.
Just did the coliseum. The first time, I got overwhelmed in the battle royal and was constantly battling the bad guys. After awhile, I realized it was a losing battle so I ran away and escaped. Then I met a NPC that talked about destroying boxes and that's when I uncovered the invincible star. Cool!

Then I had to face Iggy and his minions. Interesting. Haven't been able to beat him. Seems that I need to go to another area to get the right weapon. Will try again tonight.

lordy88

Also it's weird to come back to a Paper Mario from 2004 having played all the other ones, but remember when on Sticker Star (and sort of on Color Splash) when you can't beat a boss unless you knew what special/thing card you had to use? The first boss on TTYD I lost to at first simply because I didn't know I had to equip something that I had already. It's the same concept and it's just that they expanded on it more I guess (kinda like an adventure game where an item advances your progress).

Well, the first time I played TTYD I don't think I equipped the cricket badge for the first boss and still beat him. I remember equipping the badge and then hating the sound effect before remembering to put it back on (they make it pretty obvious what to do) and still having my way with him.

It was more of an easy mode than the necessity it has become in SS and CS.

So how does this game stack up with all the other entries?

I've only played Paper Mario and Super Paper Mario. Loved both to death, especially the latter. Does this game still have that charm and cool characters?

Kinsei

Banned

I've only played Paper Mario and Super Paper Mario. Loved both to death, especially the latter. Does this game still have that charm and cool characters?

Thousand Year Door > Paper Mario > Color Splash = Super Paper Mario

It has a ton of charm. There are some good characters but the lack of a lot of unique NPCs hurts the game IMO.

Thousand Year Door > Paper Mario > Color Splash = Super Paper Mario

It has a ton of charm. There are some good characters but the lack of a lot of unique NPCs hurts the game IMO.

My order would put Color Splash at the top, on par with TTYD. Two different styles of game so it's hard to say whether one is really better than the other, but I think Color Splash is the series at the top of its game, when looked in terms of what it sets out to do.

As for the NPCs, I didn't really notice it or think it to be a problem, which wasn't the case with Paper Jam Bros.

Color Splash's writing is good enough that it didn't need unique characters, each Toad or Shy Guy etc. is written to be a distinctly different character. Previous games made it more obvious by designing characters to be obviously different, but Color Splash does that on the strength of its script.

I loved all Paper Mario games and to be honest Color Splash is way up there. There's something about the quietness of the delivery (if that makes any sense) that stuck with me greatly.

I think this plays a part in it. A lot of Color Splash's smarter and more entertaining moments aren't in-your-face and obvious, and don't star really obviously defined characters.

SAlso it's weird to come back to a Paper Mario from 2004 having played all the other ones, but remember when on Sticker Star (and sort of on Color Splash) when you can't beat a boss unless you knew what special/thing card you had to use? The first boss on TTYD I lost to at first simply because I didn't know I had to equip something that I had already. It's the same concept and it's just that they expanded on it more I guess (kinda like an adventure game where an item advances your progress).

The cricket sound? I don't think it makes it impossible, but yeah, it's just like the thing items in a way (the good thing, though, is that it's passive, instead of active, so you don't lose it once you find it).

I'd love a modern adventure game, though. Not 'point and click', but something that manages to take the item mechanics of something like text adventures and place it in an interesting world with interesting scenarios (like some points of Color Splash do). Would be really fun to see how it worked, at least.

Senior Lurker

MS Informed
I have zero problems with every npc looking the same, its even kinda adorable.

the brigde builder toad in prisma town, toad that cheers when you cross his bridge :)

I love this bridge guy lol! Small touches like this one make CS even more special.

And yeah the identical NPCs aren't too bad but they could be made much better with tiny modifications like in other games.

We've played through the
pirate saga
a few days ago, getting big star number 4.. I finally get to play my train level soon (I love train stages!). Unfortunately, no time to play the game again till next week :D Are the Roshambo challenges worth it? I only tried them twice but never one a tournament yet.

If you care about collecting enemy cards then yes the Roshambo master challenges (not the normal ones) are worth it as they give you enemy cards of the bosses basically. I only did 4 of them though.

We've played through the
pirate saga

The cricket sound? I don't think it makes it impossible, but yeah, it's just like the thing items in a way (the good thing, though, is that it's passive, instead of active, so you don't lose it once you find it).

I'd love a modern adventure game, though. Not 'point and click', but something that manages to take the item mechanics of something like text adventures and place it in an interesting world with interesting scenarios (like some points of Color Splash do). Would be really fun to see how it worked, at least.

I guess you guys are right but for me even by blocking all attacks I still lost. I guess I didn't have enough mushrooms. But I see what you mean; it's not as essential as thing cards for SS/CS.

I think this plays a part in it. A lot of Color Splash's smarter and more entertaining moments aren't in-your-face and obvious, and don't star really obviously defined characters.

Totally agree. The game is smart and the script is entertaining and charming.

Kebiinu

Banned
Just beat this a few min ago, and wowowowow. The ending had me in tears, and that music was just the cherry on top. I honestly put this game on the same level as TTYD. The overworld/exploration is much better in this game, and although I enjoyed the battle system, it could still use some tweaks to be just right.

The last boss had me using the card roulette every turn just to do enough damage, and heal! Would have been nice to have an extra defense option too, just for those moments where you don't want to waste a card, but you're saving for the next roulette.

Overall, however, its truly an excellent game. Much better than I could have imagined, and I really hope we see these characters return in future installments.

Now I just need to 100% the game.

Timeaisis

The design of the last boss is so awful. An exercise in tedium if you don't have enough hammers.

Can I really not go back and buy more hammers?

Edit: Well just finished. Really did not care for the last boss but the ending was worth it.

Kebiinu

Banned
The design of the last boss is so awful. An exercise in tedium if you don't have enough hammers.

Can I really not go back and buy more hammers?

Edit: Well just finished. Really did not care for the last boss but the ending was worth it.

It really was bad design, imo. No warnings that your jumps are practically useless, and I had to utilize Card Roulette over and over just to get hammers to hit him with (and hearts to heal).

Eventually I realized it's best to just stack up as much damage in one go, absorb the hits, and he goes down quick. I beat him in one try, surprisingly, but it was more-so tedious than it was challenging.

Excellent ending, however.

This game.

Let NPCs have unique designs and names, have the 64/TTYD battle system (with Huey as the only partner), have the story structure of the first 2 games (book intro, prologue, 8 chapters), and it becomes the best game in the series.

I'm hunting for the Green Paint Star now, so I guess I'm nearing the end of it. I overall like the game, although it still has some glaring issues that need to be resolved for upcoming entries. The combat is definitely my least-favorite part, and there isn't even that much variety in cards once you realize that most of them are just bigger or "more-hits" versions of the standard cards (and only about a handful of enemy cards are actually useful). So getting through battles is definitely the biggest push I need in order to continue on in the game, but thankfully nearly everything else in the game is charming and interesting enough to keep me going.

Definitely a major step-up from Sticker Star, but they definitely need to get rid of anything that still has even a semblance of an RPG mechanic going forward if they are determined to continue in this direction for the series.

Also, random, but to me the funniest part in the game by far is
when the Thwomp just slams down on the train out of the nowhere when it finally gets going and everyone's happy. It's so simple and stupid but it got a good chuckle out of me.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
This game.

Let NPCs have unique designs and names, have the 64/TTYD battle system (with Huey as the only partner), have the story structure of the first 2 games (book intro, prologue, 8 chapters), and it becomes the best game in the series.

Nah. The battle system is fine as is, you're always tripping in resources and constantly refreshing your deck and it's basically a neat puzzle-y system.

leroidys

Nah. The battle system is fine as is, you're always tripping in resources and constantly refreshing your deck and it's basically a neat puzzle-y system.
New battle system is fine, I just want badges back. Pretty miffed that they missed the opportunity on that two games in a row. Was always the saving grace of Paper Mario combat systems.

krumble

I didn't buy until this week when it was pay day
Really enjoying it so far, sooooo much better than sticker star
It's not thousand year door, but it's a fun adventure (which I think was their goal)

Zero-ELEC

Banned
New battle system is fine, I just want badges back. Pretty miffed that they missed the opportunity on that two games in a row. Was always the saving grace of Paper Mario combat systems.

Fair enough.

It doesn't mean the 64/TTYD battle system wasn't better.

I say they're both good, it's only a bit different and serve a different purpose; I think for the efforts of this game, the battle system works very well.

Formless

Beat it last night. There are problems with the battle system and some of the solutions to puzzles/battles are oblique, but it honestly might beat TTYD for me. The world, music, and writing are just so fun. All the wacky scenarios in the game were great.

StAidan

I started playing this a few days ago and am really enjoying it so far. Just found the third key for the, uh... Crimson Tower, I think it's called? Color Splash is definitely better than Sticker Star (which was my favorite in the series up till now).

The card system is a little annoying with the 3-step attack process, but it's not enough to ruin my enjoyment of the game. My kids have really loved watching it, too.

Soundslike

Neo Member
Im turning around on this game...and in a bad way...

wtf is up with part when hitting multiple fences on cobalt island? Is it just me or is it random guesses? was dropped down twice (HORRIBLE enemy spawns down there) and then got killed hitting the first fences left-right (Lost 60 health) Great fun starting over that stage again.....

That game show was a great stage, until you realize you need to buy those 30 cards....i skipped it cause i didnt want to spend all that time removing 30 cards from my hand. Just bad design choice....

For all you just starting...just stay at prisma town center and listen to the music....

Hybris

wtf is up with part when hitting multiple fences on cobalt island? Is it just me or is it random guesses? was dropped down twice (HORRIBLE enemy spawns down there) and then got killed hitting the first fences left-right (Lost 60 health) Great fun starting over that stage again.....

That game show was a great stage, until you realize you need to buy those 30 cards....i skipped it cause i didnt want to spend all that time removing 30 cards from my hand. Just bad design choice....

The fence puzzle is rng to a certain extent, but you are supposed to hit the fence with a paint smash in order to tell which one you have already hit.

Agree on the game show 100%. Pretty bad design choice. Just a waste of time when you go in the first time and realize that you have to go back out and in again to even have a chance. This combined with some of the thing card puzzles kinda soured the latter half of the game for me.

Kinsei

Banned

For all you just starting...just stay at prisma town center and listen to the music....

In regards to your first spoiler:
You're meant to mark each fence with your paint so you know which one not to hit next time.

I know we don't have complete proof yet but I would brace myself for one of the biggest franchise bombs from one game to the next in Nintendo franchise history if I were you guys, if Japan sales and internet buzz/reviews are any indication. I mean 35k in Japan so far? The previous titles all hovered around half a million. Ouch. Well deserved too considering what they did to this franchise.

udivision

I know we don't have complete proof yet but I would brace myself for one of the biggest franchise bombs from one game to the next in Nintendo franchise history if I were you guys, if Japan sales and internet buzz/reviews are any indication. I mean 35k in Japan so far? The previous titles all hovered around half a million. Ouch. Well deserved too considering what they did to this franchise.

Yeah, this is looking to be a pretty poor showing. The Switch may hurt Color Splash's long term potential... but maybe Mario Run could provide a boost somehow?

Paper Mario > Thousand Year Door > Color Splash >>>>>>>> Sticker Star >> Super

Those are my ratings.

I did not care for Super at all. Too long. Too much dialog. Character designs are weird. The game feels like an entirely separate game series that happens to feature Mario characters. It also takes too long to get from point A to point B, just to do simple stuff like cooking or using a specific. Sticker Star isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but does have some major flaws. Paper Mario is a light, quick game that you can beat in a short amount of time and enjoy it fully. It's basically "baby's first RPG" but I don't mind, and I can't really think of a part of the game I don't like or that's kind of a drag. TYD is really long (I'm not a huge fan of overly long, wordy games), and the earlier chapters aren't that good. But it picks up nicely after only a couple chapters. Color Splash is really great, not terribly long, moves along quickly, and only has a couple minor issues.

I've never played Paper Jam, but I consider that to be a ML game, not a Paper Mario game.

fernoca

It was sadly expected, so not bracing myself. :p
But while previous games all hovered around a million, none were released on:
-An userbase this low
-An even lower active userbase
-After so much backlash

Some might say it is deserved, but it is not surprising. It is a great game at least.

maxcriden

Even having a vague sense going in of what it would entail, Green Energy Planet was a true joy to play. And from looking at posts on here it seems unexpectedly we might've missed someThing in the level. Gonna have to go back in tonight.

Moose84

I've just collected all the big paint stars, I'd be keen to go into the final level with a vague idea of what to expect. Can anyone who's finished the game help me out in terms of what cards I should bring with me (both Thing, and otherwise). Any non-spoilery tips to get through the final level and final boss without restarting/backtracking etc would be much appreciated!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Final boss, I'll just say, you're smart by not jumping ahead & taking the time to ensure your deck is prepared.

more spoilerish final boss tips:
hammers. Lots & lots of them, particularly the x# ones

Edit: crap, I forgot about a particular event in the final level. There's one Thing card you DO need. Let's just say, lots of paint will be spilled, & it's the only thing that'll clean up the mess.

I almost forgot this game still had folks disliking its mere existence.

I've just collected all the big paint stars, I'd be keen to go into the final level with a vague idea of what to expect. Can anyone who's finished the game help me out in terms of what cards I should bring with me (both Thing, and otherwise). Any non-spoilery tips to get through the final level and final boss without restarting/backtracking etc would be much appreciated!

- Washing Machine Thing Card
- Prepare a good selection of hammer related stuff
- In general the final area is actually quite focused and not too long at all, nowhere near the sprawling gauntlets seen in the first two paper mario games.

Moose84

Thanks all, so just the
Washing Machine thing card and lots and lots of hammers
. After Sticker Star's ridiculously tough final stage I was expecting a crazy gauntlet filled with lots of specific cards you needed. Other Things and the Fire/Ice flowers not worth getting then?

Top Bottom