• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

EU/UK thing.

On a happier note just ordered this from Nintendo:

wii-snes-virtual-console-controller1.jpg

sammy

Is there anything I can use to jump higher/farther? I'm stuck on world 3-5 (Loop Loop River) and I'm trying to jump across the river to the island in the middle and I just can't make it.

Edit: never mind I figured it out, invisible blocks grrr

Yep that had me stuck for weeks. I'm loving the game at the moment, because I'm making progress in it haha. I'm really not far along for being 20 hours into the game, screw that I'm using guides. The game isn't very fun when you're stumped, but once it gets moving its real charming.

Help!

I'm stuck on the enigmansion, trying to get the boo in the greenhouse. The FAQs I've looked at say (well this is what I think they're saying) you have to stick the mansion door onto the wall thats all purplely/pink, in the room to the left of the greenhouse, and go through; but I've already put the mansion door at the top of the steps where the toad painting was and can't seem to pull it off now. Any ideas?

Chopper

Help!

I'm stuck on the enigmansion, trying to get the boo in the greenhouse. The FAQs I've looked at say (well this is what I think they're saying) you have to stick the mansion door onto the wall thats all purplely/pink, in the room to the left of the greenhouse, and go through; but I've already put the mansion door at the top of the steps where the toad painting was and can't seem to pull it off now. Any ideas?
Different door. The easiest way for me to describe it would be tell you try paperizing every room. It's not a door you're after, per se.

StAidan

I got this game for Christmas but just started digging into it yesterday. So far I've played up through level 2-1. I'm impressed so far.

I don't have a lot of previous Paper Mario experience, but a few years ago I tried SPM (Wii) which pretty much soured me to the series due to the endless walls of text which I can only compare to a stream of projectile vomit.

Anyway, I was more than happy to give Sticker Star a try after reading in this thread that the plot and dialog were minimal -- and am more than pleased to find that the reports were true. Also, the sticker mechanics are terrific and the music is simply superlative, complementing the entire experience in precisely the way a soundtrack should.

It also helps that, so far, each level can be pretty reliably completed in around 20 minutes, which happens to be the amount of time I commonly have for my gaming sessions.

I'm excited to keep playing.

Sounds like the ending theme from Super Mario Bros. When you save the princess. Lots of other games use it.

ah. yeah, its that. i knew ive heard it a lot in my life. i just couldnt place it. simplest answer though. ha.

About to start the final level today. But, wow, the over-world theme is flipping AMAZING.

its great how that theme is modified to fit each world. reminded me of how the song in the bazaar in skyward sword would change with each vendor.

Oxx

Time to start this game, I think.

I love a good portable grind but it seems like the first two RPGs I play on the 3DS don't have levelling.

Okay, I hated Paper Mario 2 and Super Paper Mario (but Paper Mario 1 was okay). They bored me to fucking death.

But Paper Mario 3DS is by far the best of the Paper Mario games, and the perfect portable game. It doesn't drag out with endless dialog and chapters that go on forfuckingever (that train level and tree level in Paper Mario 2 are some of the most boring shit in video games I've ever had to endure), and it's just right to the point and tons of fun.

And it has music that I actually remember (dat Desert theme). So fucking good, and probably my favorite 3DS game.

BowieZ

Banned
This game. So good. Etc.

But damn, I've wasted so many valuable stickers trying to solve the puzzles in the latter half of the forest world and the second exit out of 4-1. I'm pretty sure I've got every object attainable so far and tried all the ones conceivably useful. I've exhausted everything except haven't yet played 5-3 or 6-1 so I guess I will try them now. But I would have thought the way to progress in world 3 wouldn't be solved by progressing in world 5 and 6... hmm...

EDIT: kept going with world 5 and an up to the chomp in the cavern with the two leaves behind him. Am stuck and can't even quit the level, have tried all the stickers in the shop, I noticed sleeping hammers made him sleep but I've run out of them now, help!!

RM8

Guys, if these numbers are correct then Sticker Star is already the best selling PM game in Japan, and in exactly two months after release:

[N64] Paper Mario (Nintendo) {2000.08.11} - 425.609
[GCN] Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (Nintendo) {2004.07.22} - 398.218
[Wii] Super Paper Mario (Nintendo) {2007.04.19} - 505.491
[3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} - 511.644

zroid

Banned
Guys, if these numbers are correct then Sticker Star is already the best selling PM game in Japan, and in exactly two months after release:

[N64] Paper Mario (Nintendo) {2000.08.11} - 425.609
[GCN] Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (Nintendo) {2004.07.22} - 398.218
[Wii] Super Paper Mario (Nintendo) {2007.04.19} - 505.491
[3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} - 511.644

True but keep in mind this is the first one on handhelds. It might be more prudent to compare its performance to the Mario & Luigi series.

Oxx

I don't know if it's a result of skim-reading this thread, or just the nature of the game, but the opening stages of the game have been fairly uneasy.

Should I be collecting every sticker?
Should I be just avoiding combat wherever possible?
Which stickers to use?
Should I be saving more often?

I'm probably over-thinking things considering it's still a Nintendo game, but the seeds of doubt have already been planted.

Chopper

Should I be collecting every sticker?
Yeah. You might as well, depending on how full your album is.
Should I be just avoiding combat wherever possible?
No. Combat is fun and you gain coins and stickers by battling.
Which stickers to use?
Whichever you like. You can always go back and get them again. No stickers are missable.
Should I be saving more often?
Whenever you see a save block? No more often. The game can't screw you.

Oxx

Thanks.

I think I was just a bit irritated that choosing the 'wrong' stickers to use can pretty quickly lead to death, even in 1-1.

Having to replay stuff rankles even if it's only a few minutes.

Oxx

Unfortunately they're just post-it-notes.

And they really missed a trick by not making the icons animate when you flick through them.

Oxx

Ok, 1-5 was pretty neat.

Having fun so far, but it has been a while since I played a game where death has been quite so irritating.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just finished collecting every Sticker. I ended up a few battle stickers sort and five Thing stickers short, when I beat the game. Had to resort to a guide to find the remaining ones, since they were all pretty well hidden. Lots of secrets in this game and I really love the worlds. I find it funny that people thought they're barren and not creative at all.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
About 5ish hours in and really liking the game. Very cute and charming. Some good funny bits.

Fights are becoming tiresome though. I feel like I'm just losing/wasting stickers and have now avoided some fights to save time.

So far, not difficult at all.

Finally completed the main story during the weekend

Overall, pretty good. Never played the 64 or Gamecube titles so I really can't comment on the series staples that were left out in this version. In terms of not knowing what to do....I read a FAQ just cause I wanted to get the game over and done with :/

Trying to collect all the stickers so that will probably take some time so I'm not entirely done with the game just yet

8.5/10

And fuck 5-3

StAidan

Well, I finished it up with a bit under 20 hours on my save. I'm not bothering with the sticker collection aspect, or the achievements.

Definitely the best Paper Mario game I've played based on the fact that I actually lasted until the end. The battle mechanics were good, the music incredibly fitting, and the world was interesting to explore.

My only complaint would have to be the sometimes inscrutable Thing sticker choices for the boss battles. Maybe the designers thought of "pick the right sticker" as a puzzle to be solved, but in a couple cases it just seemed more like trial and error, and I ended up looking up the answer after a few attempts that left me feeling like the game was just wasting my time.

On the whole, I'm quite pleased with the experience.

Am I playing this "wrong"?

I am nearly 17 hours in, on World 5, and I've only got one Royal Sticker (obtained from World 1). Are there Royal Stickers per World? On World 2 I've opened a level which is just one massive open area with a Paperise space on the ground. World 3 I've found one piece of Wiggler (on the level with the leaves you jump on), NO idea where the other bit is, absolutely no clues. On the snow world (4?) I am stuck on level 1. Again, no idea what to do there, something about the racing penguins maybe? No idea what sticker I am supposed to use.

I like the game a lot, but its gotten to the point now that there are so many enemies, you can't run from any of them and I am a little stuck with what to actually do now. I think there is another World 5 level I can play it it seems I should be doing earlier stuff instead!

Chopper

Am I playing this "wrong"?

I am nearly 17 hours in, on World 5, and I've only got one Royal Sticker (obtained from World 1). Are there Royal Stickers per World? On World 2 I've opened a level which is just one massive open area with a Paperise space on the ground. World 3 I've found one piece of Wiggler (on the level with the leaves you jump on), NO idea where the other bit is, absolutely no clues. On the snow world (4?) I am stuck on level 1. Again, no idea what to do there, something about the racing penguins maybe? No idea what sticker I am supposed to use.

I like the game a lot, but its gotten to the point now that there are so many enemies, you can't run from any of them and I am a little stuck with what to actually do now. I think there is another World 5 level I can play it it seems I should be doing earlier stuff instead!
There's one in each world. I thought the same as you until I went back and did a bit more exploring...

There's one in each world. I thought the same as you until I went back and did a bit more exploring...

So the end of World 2, with the desert.. There is a sticker there? And more importantly, World 2 has all the stickers to fill that huge one on the ground!?

Actually, there is a level I've not opened in the Desert World. I think it must be unlocked through that frustrating underground one.

Went back to World 2 and found all the pieces to open the Stadium final area. That boss was annoying, and even worse was I got told by Shiny Shithead that there is probably a more effective way of killing him as I used lots of stickers.. Well game, tell me the effective way!! I don't have a billion hours to experiment and its not like its hassle free to go and make Thing stickers. I used a load of Thing stickers on him and they were obviously the wrong ones to use. Sigh.

Top Bottom