• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

No, they're definitely puzzles. You're presented with a variety of visual clues to try and deduce something. That is the essence of a puzzle. If you're trying every sticker you have until you win, you're doing it wrong.

Now, you can call them poorly conceived puzzles (I do), because the clues can be sparse and sometimes require having the thing you need in your possession in order to figure them out.

OK, so what is the correct sticker for World 2 boss, and what are the clues? I saw nothing relating to a sticker. The only boss clue I can even recall is the Mushroom talking about fishing hooks down at the docks.

I used a baseball bat to knock out his segments which left me with the head to jump on/do as I please. The boss battle took place in a baseball stadium.

Right, I guess I wasn't thinking that way... Cheers.

I am just going back through World 3 now to get everything and hopefully another Royal Star. I've done a load of World 5, but got stuck at World 4-1. Turned out I needed an item that is World 3.

The game really is more of an adventure platformer than anything else, quite nice I guess. The constant enemy encounters can be annoying though, and the pain-in-the-ass method of running from them begins to grate when all you want to do is complete the damn level for a comet piece.

I can't see many people completing this game. Out of pure frustration I'd imagine most would just shelve it.

Sora_N

I got this game for $15 after taxes yesterday, I just finished W1-1. I don't know how I feel about it so far. It has a charming style, and the characters are pretty talky. (I have most of the older PM games, but never had a chance to finish them yet and I know SS is different)

I'm kind of worried I may not have enough stickers sometimes, but after finishing 1-1, noticed I got 100+ coins. I assume I should just stock up on stickers at the shop first before 1-2.

Would it screw me over somehow if I used up shiny stickers? Or should I save them for bosses, etc?

Berordn

Would it screw me over somehow if I used up shiny stickers? Or should I save them for bosses, etc?

Toward the beginning of the game you'll probably want to hold onto shiny stickers for bosses and the like, but they become more common quickly. You'll rarely, if ever, have to worry about running out of stickers.

hongcha

I finished this recently (Japanese version), my total play time was about 20 hours.

Initially I found the game fun and charming. As the game progressed, I enjoyed it less and less, though it was always "good enough" for me to keep going and finish it. At its core the game is very much an adventure game in the vein of something like Secret of Monkey Island, but they toss in very weak RPG elements and very weak platforming elements. It's just not a great end product, and I found the sticker mechanic underwhelming and very repetitive.

The story is simplistic and unimaginative: just your typical derivative Mario stuff that's been shoved down our throats countless times. I expected more from an adventure game. The funny thing is, many times while playing this I kept thinking to myself "Man, this game would be so much better if it were an original IP not in the Mario universe, with a more fleshed out story." I guess the Mario overload on the platform is really starting to get to me.

A lot of people heap praises on the music. I found it to be good overall, but it never wowed me.

Overall, I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of ten (so let's say a 6.5). Just barely decent enough to push you along to the end, but far from a great game (I will definitely never replay it). Some stages and scenes were genuinely enjoyable and creative, but I found them few and far between.

Sora_N

Toward the beginning of the game you'll probably want to hold onto shiny stickers for bosses and the like, but they become more common quickly. You'll rarely, if ever, have to worry about running out of stickers.

Ok, thanks! I'll hold onto them as much as possible until I feel they aren't rare anymore. :)

You'll always have enough stickers, but make sure you get the most out of them (ie pressing A before you jump/hit enemies)

Bosses can be defeated with an "item" very easily. If you're stuck, jump and hammer everything.

I will say that I don't think the story in any of the paper mario games have been anything to even be concerned with. The thing that drew me in were the characters, be it the side-kicks or others that you meet. That isn't necessarily the case in this game, however I did find the various Toads to be hilarious.

Find it weird to say the Mario story being "shoved down our throats". It never got in the way of the game. I thought the platforming-heavy aspect of this game was top quality as well.

I liked the idea of the stickers because it meant you had to maximise the damage you can get with each by being properly engaged with the battle system. It had me searching levels for items more than any other Paper Mario just to add.

Definitely a worthy addition to the series for me.

CorvoSol

I'm enjoying this game so far, but I kinda wish that battles meant anything more than more coins. I mean, they're fun, which I cannot stress enough. An RPG where random battles are fun is really a major rarity and a major plus, but man, why couldn't I be gaining EXP from these fights?

StAidan

^^ Personally, I think it's kind of clever that in this game, coins ARE xp. You use them to enhance your abilities by buying better stickers or Things. Not much different from spending xp on stuff.

I know I felt a lot more powerful after dropping loads of cash on red turtle shells :p

CorvoSol

^^ Personally, I think it's kind of clever that in this game, coins ARE xp. You use them to enhance your abilities by buying better stickers or Things. Not much different from spending xp on stuff.

I know I felt a lot more powerful after dropping loads of cash on red turtle shells :p

I hadn't thought of it like that.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm playing through this right now and I love it, I don't get the hate. Yes it's not as expansive as the 'true' Paper Mario games but it has the same humour, the same charm and I enjoy the sticker concept. Maybe it's because I like exploring every level but I don't understand the backtracking complaints, unless it gets much worse after world 4.

I suppose if you don't find the right Thing before you get to a boss it might be annoying having to traipse through the levels to find it but I have yet to encounter a boss that I didn't have the right sticker for. Even if you use it at the wrong time you can just die and retry the battle again.

Finished it. Thank god.

Overall a decent game but suffered from a few annoying moments. I thought the trial and error bullshit surrounding the tactics to beating some bosses very annoying, and instead of making me think about them, it just pissed me off. Nothing else about the game worked like that really, so the bosses weren't consistent with the rest of the game. Also the blink-and-you-miss it nature of finding the Luigi stickers was frustrating too. I ended up finding 4, does anything special happen when you get all of them? I did luck out and find all the Wiggler diary entries though. Annoying that its missable though and the game doesn't make any mention of it.

Oh well, onto Luigis Mansion. Much like Metroid and DKC Returns, the injection of modern western gaming development quality will shine through.

Sagitario

Finished it last night (well, today) :D

iYrYNJzifWHU5.jpg

The flaws it had didn't ruin my experience, I had fun with the title. Some of the complains are absolutely valid, though.
One thing I absolutely loved: the music.

Game is full of good music :)

Overall a decent game but suffered from a few annoying moments. I thought the trial and error bullshit surrounding the tactics to beating some bosses very annoying...
I agree with this. There was a point in the game where I said: "Screw this. I am going to get spoiled and see what stickers I need before the bosses fights". I didn't look for strategies, though.
A friend of mine actually told me: "For the final boss fight, you really need specific stickers, so better read and be prepared".

Also the blink-and-you-miss it nature of finding the Luigi stickers was frustrating too. I ended up finding 4, does anything special happen when you get all of them?
He was easy to spot for me and only one Luigi location fits the blink-and-miss category, and you can replay that level again (towards the end of the ride on the chairlifts).
If you get all five, you see him during the credits leading the parade.

Kazerei

Banned
Newb question. Is there a way to store stickers? I've collected a bunch of big ones, and I just want to put them away until a boss fight.

OwlyKnees

I'm finally going to start this game tomorrow. Having read of some people's frustrations, any important tips I should keep in mind to make the experience more enjoyable? The issue seems to be with the ambiguity in boss battles, is that right? Are there similar subtle hints such as the baseball example listed near the top of this page? If so, then I think I'll enjoy this very much.

I'm finally going to start this game tomorrow. Having read of some people's frustrations, any important tips I should keep in mind to make the experience more enjoyable? The issue seems to be with the ambiguity in boss battles, is that right? Are there similar subtle hints such as the baseball example listed near the top of this page? If so, then I think I'll enjoy this very much.

Don't be afraid to use the normal stickers you find as there are plenty.

Items respawn in the levels you find them, if you use one thing, you can go back and get it again.

Bosses require you to be a little open minded - use adventure game logic and it will make sense to you.

If you're stuck, jump on everything and hit it with a hammer, one of them will work.

OwlyKnees

Don't be afraid to use the normal stickers you find as there are plenty.

Items respawn in the levels you find them, if you use one thing, you can go back and get it again.

Bosses require you to be a little open minded - use adventure game logic and it will make sense to you.

If you're stuck, jump on everything and hit it with a hammer, one of them will work.

Thank you! Greatly appreciated, I'll keep them all in mind as I delve into it today.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This game is simultaneously charming and frustrating. Almost everything is fine, except for the way in which bosses seem to only be damaged by large stickers, and often specific ones. First time around you won't know which ones you'll need and can end up needing to exit the level and backtrack to find an object or pay money for it. A couple of times I've got the boss down to less than 50 HP but run out of big stickers, and the small ones don't even dent it.

Also I wish there was a way to track where objects were - there are too many to simply remember (at least for me). And considering most are fairly easy to get hold of again I almost wish you could just go back to the starting world and grab them for no cost - having to pay or backtrack just feels like an artificial barrier for no reason.

Croc

Banned
Just finished this after starting it a few days ago.

Probably the most underwhelming game I've played in a loooong time. First big disappointment was no leveling up. Second was the battle system. The system ended up not being as bad as I first thought but I definitely still prefer the old system by a loooong shot. So dumb how you have no idea what will be good against bosses. There's definitely too many of "things" since you can't even store stickers elsewhere and you have no idea what is good against what enemies.

One thing I disliked a lot about the levels were that nothing was actually secret (in the sense that you could beat the game without knowing about it). I thought there were a lot of optional secrets at first but then quickly realized that you had to find all of them which took like all of the fun out of it for me and even made it a bit frustrating.

I think the thing I disliked the most though was how there seemed to be no reward or motivation for doing anything. Since you couldn't level up normally, the only "reward" in the game were HP-Ups which in the span of the whole game were very few. Since stickers were so abundant getting one as a reward for something just felt pointless. Same with coins; since you get sooooo many of them, having them as a battle reward means nothing. There was no incentive to explore levels aside from, "beat the level." I just wish there would have been even ONE more stat to have some added incentive to explore things to raise it.

All in all the game wasn't bad, it just had a lot of bad design choices that hold it back a lot. I'd probably give it 3/5.

Kokonoe

Banned
The intro is monotonous and boring with all the peeling a ton of things mindlessly, and this music in the intro town is annoying and very repetitive.

I sure hope this game gets better.

Sora_N

Talked to an old high school friend, surprisingly she borrowed the game off someone and LOVED it and bought a copy... I didn't even finish it, didn't like it at all.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Welp finally got done with the game.

Definitely better than all the recent negativity at the forefront. What scared me was that I would lose interest in battling since there was no EXP, but I still enjoyed each one just to get timings down, find new stickers and just get more coins. I loved that the humor was very much in-tact and that the characters that did have a personality really shone.

Chrom

I also finally finished this game the other day, after owning it for about a year. I beat it, at least. Will save the rest for later.

I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be but I can't bring myself to say that I thought it was great.

Siaynoqq

Just finished world 3. This game really grew on me. I really love the game design.

I don't get the hate. I prefer battling less and I'm really enjoying the individual-level puzzle design. Putting stickers at the heart of everything actually worked out pretty nicely.

Just finished world 3. This game really grew on me. I really love the game design.

I don't get the hate. I prefer battling less and I'm really enjoying the individual-level puzzle design. Putting stickers at the heart of everything actually worked out pretty nicely.

The criticism comes down to the fact it's not Thousand Year Door.

3bdelilah

Banned
Sorry for the kick, but should I trade this in for SM3DL? I honestly only consider it because I already have a digital copy of SM3DL, I also have a physical copy. But I wanted to trade it with the likes of DKCR3D, NSMB2 and Luigi's Mansion 2. But those haven't come along yet, and my physical copy of 3D Land is just collecting dust now..

For wwhat it's worth, I've never played TTYD (I really want to, but they're expensive as shiiiiit nowadays), and I kinda liked SPM. I only thought it went on for faaar too long, it took me 22 hours but they really should have made it 12 hours tops in my opinion.

I've restarted playing this game for some reason.

Just deleted my save and started again.

And firstly, the graphics really are something. Beautifully presented. And the toads are still absolutely hilarious.

Top Bottom