• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasyte -The Maxim- |OT| Talk To The Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefeater

Banned
Why does the romance in this show feel so iffy? It must be a mixture of the writing, directing and animation quality. Just feels unnatural a lot of the time.

Even besides that I'm feeling a lot of unintended cheese emanating from the show. Shinichi's terrible job at hiding Migi, his jumping around like a superhero without consequence, and the general obliviousness of side characters. Also the music, which is sometimes hit but often miss.

A little bit more self awareness and/or humor about the general absurdity would help a lot. Or just plain better direction/writing, I dunno. Even Shinichi's character development feels like it could have been better handled.

Still enjoying it, of course.

kirblar

Because the story's not really a romance. The series is playing with themes of self-identity and masculinity here - Shinichi getting the Parasyte launches him into what's essentially a hyperdrive version of male puberty (enhanced strength, boob-touching, hardened emotions, "I feel like a monster") His perspective and growth/change is the focus here, not the relationship. Murano, his parents, etc- they're all in service to his development.

Beefeater

Banned
Because the story's not really a romance. The series is playing with themes of self-identity and masculinity here - Shinichi getting the Parasyte launches him into what's essentially a hyperdrive version of male puberty (enhanced strength, boob-touching, hardened emotions, "I feel like a monster") His perspective and growth/change is the focus here, not the relationship. Murano, his parents, etc- they're all in service to his development.

Well, my issue with the romance made up 1 of 4 paragraphs, so…

Why does the romance in this show feel so iffy? It must be a mixture of the writing, directing and animation quality. Just feels unnatural a lot of the time.

Even besides that I'm feeling a lot of unintended cheese emanating from the show. Shinichi's terrible job at hiding Migi, his jumping around like a superhero without consequence, and the general obliviousness of side characters. Also the music, which is sometimes hit but often miss.

A little bit more self awareness and/or humor about the general absurdity would help a lot. Or just plain better direction/writing, I dunno. Even Shinichi's character development feels like it could have been better handled.

Still enjoying it, of course.

-Kirblar already made the point about romance and why in the end it doesn't matter. Which also unfortunately means the side characters that are women and aren't enemy parasytes will be harem tropes and a bit horribly written.

- Shinichi hasn't had issues with being spotted with Migi though. If you mean instances where he's clearly talking to his hand, people seem to believe he is talking to himself. And there's little he can do about it if Migi starts talking to him, he can't control her.

- Jumping around like a superhero is an issue, especially the massive drop from the building, but in his running speed he has been controlling himself to not go too fast to get too much attention. Random harem girl #1 near the beach probably didn't think too much about how fast he was running or how high he jumped, she probably just thought he's really athletic. And in the latest episode where he jumps out the window the situation was so crazy that Murano or w/e her name is isn't thinking too much about it because there were bigger issues at the time. And the excuse of "adrenaline rush" probably works decently enough since she had her eyes closed.

As to character development, once again this isn't normal character development. He has been infected with a parasyte that has made him stronger and coincidentally less caring/human. The 180 in personality can be argued for in this instance because it's part of the show and it's 'supernatural' in nature. Complaints about directing and so forth I can't argue against, those are personal preferences. Plenty of guys are saying the music is ruining scenes for example.

Beefeater

Banned
To be clear, I realize what bothers me doesn't bother everyone else. I'm merely expressing my own impressions.
-Kirblar already made the point about romance and why in the end it doesn't matter. Which also unfortunately means the side characters that are women and aren't enemy parasytes will be harem tropes and a bit horribly written.
There is no reason for poorly written characters/relationships to be a part of a good story though, right? Either you make it worthwhile or you take it out completely. At least that's how I see it.
- Shinichi hasn't had issues with being spotted with Migi though. If you mean instances where he's clearly talking to his hand, people seem to believe he is talking to himself. And there's little he can do about it if Migi starts talking to him, he can't control her.

- Jumping around like a superhero is an issue, especially the massive drop from the building, but in his running speed he has been controlling himself to not go too fast to get too much attention. Random harem girl #1 near the beach probably didn't think too much about how fast he was running or how high he jumped, she probably just thought he's really athletic. And in the latest episode where he jumps out the window the situation was so crazy that Murano or w/e her name is isn't thinking too much about it because there were bigger issues at the time. And the excuse of "adrenaline rush" probably works decently enough since she had her eyes closed.
You're rationalizing story contrivances by telling me what happens in the story. The bolded didn't seem weird to you? It's almost like you want me to accept everything in a story at face value.

It's the story tellers' responsibility to convince the viewer, and Parasyte doesn't convince me (personally).
As to character development, once again this isn't normal character development. He has been infected with a parasyte that has made him stronger and coincidentally less caring/human. The 180 in personality can be argued for in this instance because it's part of the show and it's 'supernatural' in nature.
Again you're pointing out what I already know.

I'm not defending the shows iffy points in writing, I'm saying that it's a minimal issue and the story's reasoning is good enough for me to go on with the plot. I've always been more forgiving with manga and anime than western tv shows.

At the end of the day it's entertaining and isn't insulting my intelligence. Suspend my disbelief etc....

Beefeater

Banned
I see what you mean now. Yeah, realistic expectations are good to have. I'm also enjoying it, so it's better to go with it than to overanalyze.

I thought the episode was terrible and it really didn't do anything to change my feels about this anime. All that build up and it was over incredibly quickly. The throw was rad and his arm being different made me curious but it still lacked substance for me.

The hair pulling thing was really lame too. :/

Don't get me wrong, the main characters progression is strange and interesting but I wish there was a bit more going on. This was another side quest type of episode. Meet someone, dislike someone, kill someone.....now what? then it repeats.

I'm torn on how I feel about this entire thing, really.

Is the manga the same as the anime thus far? Maybe I'll read it instead.

KarmaCow

I was worried about Shinichi uping his power level to Mr. Cool Hero McBadass, complete with different hair in the intro and the past couple episodes but I like what they've done with it.

Still a ton of garbage outside Migi and Shinichi but it hasn't poisoned the entire premise for me.

I thought the episode was terrible and it really didn't do anything to change my feels about this anime. All that build up and it was over incredibly quickly. The throw was rad and his arm being different made me curious but it still lacked substance for me.

Don't get me wrong, the main characters progression is strange and interesting but I wish there was a bit more going on. This was another side quest type of episode. Meet someone, dislike someone, kill someone.....now what? then it repeats.

Side quest episode? Were you expecting Shinichi to become some sort of vigilante, actively looking for and hunting down Parasytes?

This isn't a Marvel superhero comic.

Every situation that has occurred so far has made Shinichi change in one way or the other though. And there's definitely progress from Shinichi and the world, you are dismissing the show unfairly. At least from what I read, you need to expand on your points because the overgeneralization isn't helping your argument.

thenexus6

I was three episodes behind but all caught up now. Still going well, that throw was amazing! Does anyone know how many episodes will be in this season?

Side quest episode? Were you expecting Shinichi to become some sort of vigilante, actively looking for and hunting down Parasytes?

This isn't a Marvel superhero comic.

I wasn't necessarily looking for Shinichi to become some sort of vigilante but the show kind of builds up in the beginning to lead to something more significant then kind of fades out all of a sudden. With the progression of the show in the beginning, with him and Migi starting to communicate more, the corgi battle, to them discovering other parasites.....I was hopeful it was going to go further into where exactly those things came from and see a little more plot but suddenly, the pacing slows down a good bit. I think what's happening is that from the beginning of the series I had zero idea the plot was going to mostly just solely focus on Shinichi's development with his parasite. It seemed like it was going to dive head first into parasite information and etc but its instead taken a focus I wasn't really anticipating. I, again, haven't read the manga at all and in comparison to other animes I've watched, this pacing is definitely different. Its strange being so far into the show and still not really having any idea as to whats going on and where its going.

What makes it a little harder to enjoy is the lack of character depth for everyone but Shinichi and (somewhat) Reiko with the baby thing happening in the background. I'm used to more of a broader span of cast members/continuous conflicts rather than just a few with small developments and conflicts dying instead of being continuous. There is still a good bit of episodes to anticipate though. I'm just curious how they are going to tie together the parasite situation along with Shinichi's progression along with what the hell the parasites even are.

I think I'll read the manga while I wait for episodes to come out to give myself a good bit more context. I'm unfamiliar with this series entirely and the pacing is different from what I normally watch so its a little bit of hard pill to swallow. >.>

Lelcar

I have fallen way hard into this show. In tone of it reminds me of two of my favourite anime: Death Note and Monster. The sound design is fantastic as well.

Parasyte 11

In this episode we get a pretty kick-ass action scene straight out of like the Matrix or Oldboy, only with Parasytes, the two girls discuss their husbando, Shinichi still can't talk about it, and you'll never guess what question gets asked again!

By far though the coolest development is that
group of Parasytes of the guy running for Mayor and his lackies. Lowering crime the most effective way haha
. I expect sick action scenes from those

Kieli

Parasyte 11

In this episode we get a pretty kick-ass action scene straight out of like the Matrix or Oldboy, only with Parasytes, the two girls discuss their husbando, Shinichi still can't talk about it, and you'll never guess what question gets asked again!

By far though the coolest development is that
group of Parasytes of the guy running for Mayor and his lackies. Lowering crime the most effective way haha
. I expect sick action scenes from those

I giggled when she asked the same question for the billionth time. I thought he would hear it with his super-ears.

Also, I find it kind of sad new-Shinichi must be beholden to the emotions of old-Shinichi. That is to say, he still likes worst-girl and gives best-girl no chances.

Link Man

Banned
Parasyte 11

Bizarre dream sequence there, Kana. For some reason, while watching this episode, the girls strongly reminded me of School days, always a good sign. And once again, the show throws out all semblance of subtlety, hammering into our heads that Shinichi is having mommy issues while Murano keeps on asking the same question ad nauseam.

Seems bodybuilder parasite somehow controls more than just the head, if he can heal his extremities as well as change his physique. Interesting.

So happy that
Goto
got introduced in this episode. I'm super hyped to see some of his later fight scenes brought to life by this show's brilliant animation.

Parasyte 11

Bizarre dream sequence there, Kana. For some reason, while watching this episode, the girls strongly reminded me of School days, always a good sign. And once again, the show throws out all semblance of subtlety, hammering into our heads that Shinichi is having mommy issues while Murano keeps on asking the same question ad nauseam.

Seems bodybuilder parasite somehow controls more than just the head, if he can heal his extremities as well as change his physique. Interesting.

It might be a situation where (speculation)
there's one in the head and various all throughout the body so whenever they take on a new body they do it together. Speculation though

pretty good episode but god damn they need to stop with that girl character that keeps asking if he's the real izumi

what a dumb character

seriously brings the whole show down

definitely among the worst characters in anime history

Beefeater

Banned
Black Lagoon also features Yakuza in one arc. That's all I've seen, so maybe the japanese aren't as enamored with organized crime fiction as the US.

Gungrave might be for you, though I haven't watched it myself.

Gungrave is great, minus bad first episode.

Gungrave has a good run until a very clear point it jumps the shark because it introduces a supernatural element that ruins the rest of the show. So I would only recommend it if you stop to the point right before that point.

Black Lagoon also features Yakuza in one arc. That's all I've seen, so maybe the japanese aren't as enamored with organized crime fiction as the US.

Black Lagoon is a safer bet as it deals with crime and different 'mafia'-like organizations, and the arc with the Yakuza is very satisfying.

faridmon

is this a good psychological anime?

Indirectly though. It merely questions morale issues and whatnot with migi being a very logical creator, but it does not necessary delve into a more psychological issues, nor does it induce any psychological stimuli.

Its good though so make sure you absolutely watch it.

It's a more than decent horror/action anime. Think of it as Spider Man meets John Carpenter's the thing.

Psychological though? Not so much besides the topics of what makes a normal human.

Indirectly though. It merely questions morale issues and whatnot with migi being a very logical creator, but it does not necessary delve into a more psychological issues, nor does it induce any psychological stimuli.

Its good though so make sure you absolutely watch it.

thanks guys sounds good :) after getting my mind blown by death note hard to find something better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom