• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasyte -The Maxim- |OT| Talk To The Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parasyte 9

In this episode of Parasyte, every woman annoys Shinichi one way or another. One can't accept his bad boy persona and liked him when he was himself, but continues to ask the same annoying question thinking she's clever throughout the whole show until Shinichi finally snaps and I lol'd

The other thinks she's his soul mate and has a weird crush on him.

The other does what can be easily described as a 'stupid horror movie character' move and
calls out who she swears is a monster into a secluded room by herself and tells him to his face that she knows the truth, then admits nobody knows and is surprised when he's about to attack her. REALLY? REALLY?

The women in this show. My god. It's not even an issue of them being otaku-bait. It's more of an issue of a harem that doesn't want to admit it's a harem. And these girls are written like a comic book. If it wasn't for how much I like new badass Shinichi I'd be more bothered by it.

"Are you the real Izumi Shinichi?" is the new "Have you seen Titan Fall?"

My biggest issue with this question is that it's so fucking unnatural. Nobody asks this, or at least words it like this, but the phrasing makes it seem so fucking forced due to the plot of the show.

When somebody asks that it's usually worded as "who are you and what have you done with X" and 100% of the time I've heard it is used as a comedic question. If they really wanted her to say something that emphasized how she doesn't recognize him anymore they could have made her say something that didn't seem like it was written specifically for the show of anime body snatchers.

"I don't recognize you anymore"

"You're not the Shinichi I used to know/fell in love with"

But the wording of the question and repetition just bothers me because it feels like the writers worded it like that specifically because yes indeed Shinichi isn't the same and is changing, and there are aliens replacing people. Like a wink wink nudge nudge say no more situation.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, I do agree with you on that.

Also regarding the one who thinks that she's his soul mate, at least there is a pretty fair explanation for that which will play into the plot.

I mean, to be perfectly honest, the main problem, though in a way I think it's a strength, of this series is that it's all about the developement of shinichi, which means that there isn't much effort spent on other characters except for migi and a few others.

Oh definitely. It's a good thing that Shinichi and Migi work so well as protagonists. It's a shame though that the parents don't have a bigger focus since they feel like real people, which is in direct contrast to some of the writing on the female characters outside of the mom

JDSN

Banned
I love how Migi is acutely aware of how awkward she is when she figures something is wrong with Shincihi because he is making sense. And yes, the harem thing is really bad, glasses girl has read too much Twilight and pompadour girl cant get over his man being all alpha and throwing puppies in the garbage like a boss. Im shipping psychic girl.
ytuWvMR.jpg
Inspector Lunge is gonna find my boy Shinichi.

Kyuur

I thought the whole 'I can sense my soulmate!' thing was hilarious considering the immediate follow up. I doubt she still thinks that. Seems pretty logical thing for a high school girl who can literally sense someone to think at first.

Kieli

I thought the whole 'I can sense my soulmate!' thing was hilarious considering the immediate follow up. I doubt she still thinks that. Seems pretty logical thing for a high school girl who can literally sense someone to think at first.

Maybe this is how 3D fortune tellers work.

They have electromagnetic wave-sensing organs.

Ninjimbo

This is my anime of the year. I want a Migi. Sacrificing my humanity doesn't seem so bad if I can jump that high and move that fast.

Don't listen to that guy. Ghoul was good. And this show is quite good. In fact, it's my favorite new show this season. Very well done. 8/10.
Don't listen to this guy. Tokyo ghoul was crap and Should've been called "censored the anime". This show is actually decent if a bit sexist with some side characters. But it's not about them

Jaeger

If I can help in any way to tip the scales then Tokyo Ghoul is terrible.

This guy doesn't even have a head! Don't trust his lies. It's flawed, but it has a very cool premise. Anyway, it's about Parasyte, not Ghoul. And Parasyte so far is way better than Ghoul (which I enjoyed).

janoDX

Murano needs to shut it about the question, yes, he's Shinichi, yes, he changed. Does she knows that Shinichi's mom died?.

Also all the "can't cry" stuff is psychological, because he cannot accept that his mom died he blocked himself of crying because of that, I think something might trigger on his senses later.

ohlawd

I finished the manga a long ass time ago but I forgot the name

HOLY SHITTTTTTTTTTT This is my shit. I need to catch up

JDSN

Banned
Murano needs to shut it about the question, yes, he's Shinichi, yes, he changed. Does she knows that Shinichi's mom died?.

Also all the "can't cry" stuff is psychological, because he cannot accept that his mom died he blocked himself of crying because of that, I think something might trigger on his senses later.

Yep, the awareness and the almost desperate need to cry already shows that he is fundamentally human.

Antiwhippy

No, she doesn't know that his mom died. He's pretty deliberately keeping her out of the loop.

I dunno, I still think it's a fair question. How would you feel if your SO does a 180 and goes as far as throw a dog into the garbage bin?

No, she doesn't know that his mom died. He's pretty deliberately keeping her out of the loop.

I dunno, I still think it's a fair question. How would you feel if your SO does a 180 and goes as far as throw a dog into the garbage bin?

I'd feel shitty and disgusted of course, but I don't think she has once asked him "what happened during X time frame" which is when she remembers him changing. I would connect two and two together that the last time I asked him about his parents his face changed. And I clearly remember her asking him about his mom or something and Shinichi simpy not asking.

tl;dr Emo spidey ftw

Antiwhippy

If I remember correctly he really only mentions that his father was ill when she came to see him before the trip.

It is true that it is a pretty clumsy way to emphasize that shinichi has changed.

neoanarch

I don't know if its coming up or if they skipped this. About the mother.

Manga spoilers.

Officially she was spotted at the house the day it attacked Shinchi and the hotel the night it attacked the father. So the police are running a cover story. I don't think he can talk about her missing and he can't tell the father he killed the parasite without mentioning Uda or Migi.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
How good is this anime? On a scale from 1-10?

Or compared to the recent Tokyo Ghoul.

8.5/10 (for now)

I dropped Tokyo Ghoul anime, too much censor, and the anime change several important moment from the manga version.

Parasyte 8-9

Shinichi become cold badass. He throw dead puppy into a garbage bin!
His girlfriend become aware of the change. New parasyte appear and become a new transfer student.
Glass girl is totally going to get killed in the next episode.

This anime has had me glued to the edge of my seat for nearly every episode. I'm glad they did an adaptation because I bet a lot of people probably never even read the manga.
When he told her to shut up, I burst out laughing.

Jesus, girl. How many times are you going to ask the same question?...
"Are you the real Izumi Shinichi?" is the new "Have you seen Titan Fall?"
This might have been my favorite anime of all time if Migi appeared right there and backhanded the shit out of her.

"if you ask me that shit one more fuckin time"

Man, Shinichi's Mom and Ryoko are like the only good females in this show. Kana might have potential, though. Yuko absolutely took the number #1 spot for dumbest character of the show.

I kinda hope Shinichi is fast enough to rescue glasses girl D:.

I want a fucking Migi if I can basically become super human.

I'm hoping the pacing picks up for this series. I haven't seen the new episode yet but the lack of new aspects to the story is killing me.

Everyone being all " I don't know why this is" is starting to annoy the hell out of me. 9 episodes in and the story hasn't gone that far. Its done a lot of side quest like things but the actual progress on what the parasites are and their purpose is almost nonexistent. Its focus on guys pointlessly fighting each other, angsty romance, mixed with overall confusion about the main character becoming a sociopath....there isn't much to lust over here. :/

I had high hopes for this series but its fading quick. I haven't read the manga at all so maybe its going to develop into something interesting soon, I have no idea. I'm just dying for more plot development.

I'm hoping the pacing picks up for this series. I haven't seen the new episode yet but the lack of new aspects to the story is killing me.

Everyone being all " I don't know why this is" is starting to annoy the hell out of me. 9 episodes in and the story hasn't gone that far. Its done a lot of side quest like things but the actual progress on what the parasites are and their purpose is almost nonexistent. Its focus on guys pointlessly fighting each other, angsty romance, mixed with overall confusion about the main character becoming a sociopath....there isn't much to lust over here. :/

I had high hopes for this series but its fading quick. I haven't read the manga at all so maybe its going to develop into something interesting soon, I have no idea. I'm just dying for more plot development.
Watch the new episode.

Ep 10

Censored as hell as expected. For those wondering, the scene you probably know I'm talking about looked like this in the manga. Pretty obvious something like that wouldn't fly on TV, so it's whatever.

That piano version of the ED is pretty damn baller.

I really liked this series when I read the manga. I've seen a little of the anime and so far it's very promising. Very suitable that Madhouse are doing it.

I noticed they have updated the universe a little bit in this anime - for example they have mobile phones, the dad is sat eating his breakfast reading from a tablet, etc. I forget exactly, but they can't have had this stuff in the original manga, given that this is a manga that started in the late 1980s. Totally makes sense given that it's supposed to be "normal daily life + alien". Nice little touches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom