• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasyte -The Maxim- |OT| Talk To The Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieli

Third episode was alright. I'd thought they would finish the fight rather than leave it on a cliffhanger.

Not like this is Ufotable where the fight scenes are gorgeous.

Branduil

Parasyte 3

ibj1aBDcLfaYOC.jpg
ibrnIU85lsSg9B.jpg

Poor girl thinks she's in a shounen romance or something.

Things are getting pretty interesting with the addition of
a parasyte that wants to maintain its "human" status in the world
, although that aspect is being put on the backburner while Shinichi deals with yet another violent parasyte. I'm sure that this will turn out to be a much more substantial story point as the show progresses. It turns out that parasytes have a lot in common with MMO players. And 2014animecompositing.jpg strikes again.

JDSN

Banned
So the actual parasites are not an homogenized species?
If they can detect each other and some seem more capable than others despite relatively similar hosts there is probably a hierarchy somewhere, the weird thing is that they seem as clueless as Shinichi of their origin.

Blusby

I was initially worried that after the first episode the visuals would gradual go downhill (episode 02 didn't help matters much) but this episode looked surprisingly good. It was also nice to hear the PV track used.

So the actual parasites are not an homogenized species?
If they can detect each other and some seem more capable than others despite relatively similar hosts there is probably a hierarchy somewhere, the weird thing is that they seem as clueless as Shinichi of their origin.

Is that really the case?
Looks like they have a harder time when they are around crowds in the immediate vicinity of their body. It was harder to pinpoint Shinichi because he's surrounded by students. As to hierarchy, I doubt it. Seems more like some have been on their host body for longer. In fact the new character seems to be one of the few to have a goal, out of pure curiosity, to not kill everything that moves

Music is getting good.

is freckles girl meant to be an important character? She's not Kana is she?I don;t recall anyone like her in the manga

duckroll

Episode 3

It was a good episode but I felt that it spent a bit too much time on stuff which was kinda inconsequential. Good for building atmosphere and tension, but in the end there are finite episodes to adapt a certain amount of material, this could have been trimmed a bit since some of it wasn't really that interesting either. Migi's original plan was pretty awful too. He should know that the safest way for Shinichi to continue to exist is to be a normal human being, if the plan is to use a bunch of people as a shield and then kill the target in front of everyone, that just seems stupid. Not that Shinichi's plan is much better. Lol.

Parasyte Episode 3

I gotta say that OP really pumps me up, so good. Anyways the tension buildup was really nicely done. Every moment not being wasted and used to make the audience feel engaged. We have Ryouko introduced who's great and also props to Madhouse nicely animating that face expression. The interactions between Migi and Shinichi is well done and further shows us a difference in their views. Then we get a cliffhanger between dumb looking Parasyte and Migi/Shinichi.

Man do I fuckin love the ending song. Also Anime Of The Season, believe it!

Link Man

Banned
Parasyte 4

Well, this was a pretty poor episode. Fart noises during the big fight were incredibly off-putting, action was delegated to flailing blades, and the writing lost all sense of subtlety.

Branduil

Parasyte 4

So, we get hints that there may be an intelligent and malicious design behind the parasytes, and they're not merely feeding on humans by chance. There's also a tone that implies something bad is going to happen soon, well, more bad than usual. Shinichi is certainly in danger as long as more powerful parasytes are aware of his existence. Ryoko certainly won't go out like a jobber like
A-san
did.

Parasyte 4

The animation and art style didn't look that clean for me this episode. There was a lack of detal in some scenes, like in a scene where
Migi and Shinichi are standing with Migi ready to attack, and she looks like blobs
. Also when
A-san was walking away all bloody and the head was just mush
. I know I can't expect top notch quality like the first episode, still a bit disappointing though if this is what I can expect.

Mary Jane didn't really have much to do this episode, this was entirely an episode based on Peter Parker and his folks. They're really selling me on how important the current situation and the relationship to the parents is. It's extremely refreshing to see parents who are this.. realistic in anime. I especially loved when
the mom tells the dad that Shinichi screamed at her and his reaction is "was he spanking the monkey?"
lord knows many of us can relate to something similar when we were in our teens. Honestly I can't express in words how much I love the parents because they remind me of my own: the sweet yet extremely overprotective/pushy mom, and the laid back dad who understands it's the age his son is at. Brilliant. Also the signs from earlier episodes are now made clearer since
Shinichi is getting corrupted by Migi. I assume he'll become less of a coward and more cold

Don't know what to expect from this point forward. But as long as the characters are more than just archetypes, which so far they have been, I'm looking forward to it.

Finalow

gotta spank dem monkeys.

I agree that here the parents have, rightfully so, an actual presence, which isn't really common in this type of anime. Shinji is going to change, hints or not, he has to. you already see a more ''badass'' version of him in the opening.

I liked this episode, the fight was pretty dumb but Migi's plan was legit, more or less.
I would have liked to see the
lion scene, killing humans because he can and then getting decapitated by A-san.
scene from the manga, too bad that they didn't include it. (I guess it makes sense since it's pretty pointless but it would have been much better to have that instead of the classic ''punks molesting a girl'' scene) and yes, I'm reading the manga chapters related to the weekly episodes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Having had quite a bit of blood removed from me before (though obviously not as much as Mr. A because well, I'd be dead), watching the blood gushing out and being able to somewhat empathize with that got my stomach in knots.

JDSN

Banned
I love the slight strabismus that the hosts have, it really conveys the fact that they are different better than any kind of robotic narration and referring themselves in third person like a bunch of space douchebags.

Is that really the case?
Looks like they have a harder time when they are around crowds in the immediate vicinity of their body. It was harder to pinpoint Shinichi because he's surrounded by students. As to hierarchy, I doubt it. Seems more like some have been on their host body for longer. In fact the new character seems to be one of the few to have a goal, out of pure curiosity, to not kill everything that moves

Well, im assuming by the introduction that this is the first wave of spores so every parasite has more or less the same time with their hosts, I understand the dog one, but it seems that the bugs themselves have their own personalities and while they have clear directives, they are relatively free to achieve them in any way they can (A vs Ryouko).

hoggert

Animation and direction in episode 4 was poor. Had a lot of trouble finishing the episode. Hope next week is better!

Ep 4

First instance of censorship that I distinctly remember being more explicit in the manga. Still pretty unobtrusive though, which is nice. Everything else more than makes up for it.

The fact I love the presentation of this so much is going to make some future scenes damn painful. Looking forward to them.

Parasyte Episode 4

That was a good episode. The fight didn't drag and concluded quickly. Also Ryouko still a badass wherever she goes. I have to say it's really nice to see parents that are actually realistic for once, thank god. And the Dad is fuckin based for saying Shinichi may be spanking the monkey lol :) Loving the Op and Ending as usual, can't wait for next week. AOTS for me.

Parasyte 5
rXBgv5x.gif

Jesus fucking christ. As a whole I'd say it's an amazing episode. But that ending it's gut-wrenching.
Anime Spiderman indeed. Poor Shinichi. At least now he has little to lose. And now the dad is still alive and knows about the monsters, so he might eventually get on Shinichi's camp.

Damn. Well besides that the episode as a whole is effective. I'm guessing the headphones girl is the anime original character I was hearing about? If so, she's an interesting character. Also looks like Shinichi has the bark but not the bite, let's hope that changes. But different folks acknowledging how he has changed definitely 'for the better' really speaks about their opinion of him. Weak but brave I guess. At least he has the looks for a semi-girlfriend, Mr. Parker.

Parasyte Episode 5

Fuuuuuuuuuuck!
Man the mom died, that shit got me. Welp one of the most realistic parents you'll see in anime.
As for Shinichi's character I really don't see a problem, because he was shocked intensely. I mean this character has a fuckin alien stuck in his hand, so you would think he would be mentally stressed and then
seeing his Mom as a monster pretty much fucked him up.
There are times when people get so shocked that they mentally try to pretend a certain event didn't occurr even when logically knowing the truth as a means of escaping. And in Shinichi's case it's true because he
didn't want to believe the mom he loved turned into a monster.
So really you can't expect him to jump out all alpha like nothing happened, because his character takes time to change.

But sweet Jesus that ending :)

Kard8p3

Oh man I read this manga several years ago; definitely need to watch this.

edit: idk why but I expected Migi to have a deeper voice.

Kard8p3

Something I noticed; at the end of the opening it shows the MC looking like he does in the manga; maybe he'll change his looks through the anime.

Finalow

yep, I knew that something like that was going to happen. I think that it was pretty predictable and also needed. still they delivered those scenes, especially the last ones, really well.

Lum1n3s

Really digging the show, up to episode 4 and I got to say it has met my expectations. It's everything I expected to be with the manga and more!

PranooY

I really loved Episode 5. Can't really go into it, coz spoilers.. But let me just say this - it was pretty damn good. As a manga fan, I'm pretty impressed.

Alucrid

Banned
the protagonist is like a fucking wet noodle. talk about neutering him. watching him get his ass kicked for 10 minutes was boring as hell

Parasyte 6

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Pretty calm episode, but it was used to showcase the changes in Shinichi and, partially, Migi. God damn. Badass Shinichi is best Shinichi. Nobody fucks with him. He's like Peter Parker with the symbiote (more comparisons ftw) only more
K5D8lEV.jpg

and less

cJ7v966.gif

Absolutely hyped for the next episode to see how this shit goes down.
It's especially great to see that after Migi fused with his heart and got back to his arm via the blood stream that he's colder in attitude, has super-human senses, runs super fucking fast, and can jump inhuman heights. Combined with Migi this should make a badass combination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom