• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasyte -The Maxim- |OT| Talk To The Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parasyte -the maxim- 2

Oh man, another great episode. Glad to see that the gore can be maintained, judging from these 2 episodes.

Also, lol at the
masturbation scene.

4bqEcQk.gif

Soma

but not in the restaurant :l
I still laughed out loud when it happened though!

Good episode.

The transition to a more modern time is actually working out better than I expected. Minor details from the manga are changed but a lot of the characterization with Shinichi and Migi is still there. The gorier parts definitely come with some censorship but is done in such a subtle way that you can hardly tell the difference at times and still keeps the scenes very unsettling rather than distracting.

The OST on the other hand can be a little distracting during some of the more pivotal scenes though...

Episode 2:
This show remains creepy, and the gore is definitely way more than we normally see these days.
The blood dripping out of the guy's arm after he ripped it off was pretty gruesome.
I enjoyed seeing the differing viewpoints between Shinichi and Migi and how that played out over the rest of the episode. I loved Shinichi's death glare near the end of the episode. Parasyte, so far, is managing the difficult task of mixing in the truly horrific with the everyday and doing so in a convincing manner. I hope they can keep this up.

I'm just gonna copy me from the anime OT.

Parasyte - 02

Holy shit, that was one of the best anime episodes I've seen...ever I dare say.

I complained about the dubstep in episode 1 but the really quite experimental soundtrack choice worked wonders this episode. For the 2-3 brief moments where it may have felt slightly distracting, it did wonders to the atmosphere overall. Got hyped as fuck towards the end.

And by god, they did really show the
penis arm
. Now it was shown only briefly however I'm still really, really surprised that we actually get that uncensored (a bit blurred but it's clear what you're looking at, especially if you go back and pause, which every last one of you will do!).
Honestly, the fact that they do this is a bigger plus for me than it probably should be. It's just looking at censorship in anime overall and the aversion of showing skin (well bare breasts and genitals anyways)...I'm just glad this even happened.

Migi wanting to give him an erection was also just great. Unlike last episode's boob grab everything felt totally in line this time around.

The 'combat' encounters are still just the way I like them, that is brief and far from generic shonen fights. And it's really quite tense thanks to the strong direction.

Pacing was also quite good. We got character and plot progression. The relation between Shinichi and Satomi as well as Migi is interesting respectively. I especially appreciate that there's logic in Migi's and Shinichi's 'symbiotic' relationship. It's totally believable and was also an interesting part of this episode's encounter with another alien.

kirblar

That was unexpectedly hilarious. Really glad I stuck around post-HxH w/ Madhouse. Anything pre-HxH that's really good I should check out?

Parasyte 2

I don't think this episode was as good as the first one,(though overall the series is still one of the best of the season, it just means the first one was particularly strong beginning.
First obviously it has less budget for animation than the previous ep, and second I felt the tone is a bit all over the place and in some parts the direction wasn't as consistently strong.
The music in fact is the same: all over the place. It has some electronic/ambient music that sounded interesting but the dubstep is still grating.
The strongest part is the relationship between the main character and Migi, and how Migi seems well written. He just want to eat and defend himself, and understand that others want to do the same, no hypocrisy in his logic.

And penis arm scene was funnier in the manga! :p

I think HxH was #1, unless they did ones I'm not aware of.

edit: checking list now, have seen Death Note, Paranoia Agent and Monster, nothing else. Didn't know they were so prolific.

You may want to look at

Aoi Bungaku
Battle Angel
Boogiepop Phantom
Chihayafuru
Death Billiards
Dennō Coil
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Gungrave
Gunslinger Girl
Kaiba
Kemonozume
Lament of the Lamb
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (1st season)
Memories (Stink Bomb)
Mermaid's Scar
Metropolis
Millennium Actress
Nasu: Summer in Andalusia
Neo Tokyo
Paprika
Perfect Blue
Redline
Rideback
Summer Wars
The Tatami Galaxy
Texhnolyze
Trava: Fist Planet
The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki
X

Kieli

Parasyte 2

Adaptation continues to be mediocre relative to the source material (which I really enjoyed).

Seriously do not understand why they changed his personality from a relatively well-adjusted individual into a complete milquetoast dweeb. As if we didn't have enough of those in Generic Light Harem Novel #12320: Electric Boogaloo 2 limited edition.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Parasyte 2

Adaptation continues to be mediocre relative to the source material (which I really enjoyed).

Seriously do not understand why they changed his personality from a relatively well-adjusted individual into a complete milquetoast dweeb. As if we didn't have enough of those in Generic Light Harem Novel #12320: Electric Boogaloo 2 limited edition.

Probably to make what happens later hold more weight. Or something...

Parasyte 2

While not as many crazy animation scenes, this is slowly going from horror into a horror superhero-esque story. Which I'm more than fine, so The Thing meets Spiderman. We have Shinicheter Parker and everything.

Loved the curiosity of Migi on
human sexuality
, what with the
penis shape
and the
masturbation scene
which brought me my favorite line uttered by a throw-away high school student character. "Why are you talking to your Johnson" indeed.

The episode's two plots contrasted each other pretty nicely too. We had the alien side in which
Shinichi starts to get his heroic drive of defeating the aliens, and Migi learns about the possibility of transferring bodies but yet also learns about humanity more
. Then we have the nerdy lovin' side. I appreciate the characters and the art style aren't super moe, because it makes Shinichi look like a regular somewhat-awkward yet handsome high schooler and the girl into a regular looking pretty girl. Nobody looks like they belong in a modeling agency, which I appreciate. Honestly the combination of the superpower and couple scenes, not to mention Shinichi's personality and looks, really does remind me of Spiderman.

My biggest question raised on this episode is definitely whether
a bit of Migi's nature is transforming Shinichi
since we had two different instances of scary glare from him.

Didn't realize it the first time around, but the ED sounds like a japanese boy band. Boyz 2guu Men

Wow I really liked this episode and.
The story definitely retained that looming presence of horror from the first episode. I'm really liking how the main character developed a sense of heroism in this episode and progressed his relationship with the girl. Migi is fascinating as his logic vs. the main character's reasoning for protecting humans really came out well. The writing is great and the jokes made me laugh. The action was solid and the animation and shots for the Parasytes is downright terrifying at times. I'm definitely sticking with this show.

Parasyte Episode 2

Man this adaption has been really great so far. There's no stupid censoring that's annoying. And the animation is still good. Also seeing Migi's and Shinichi's views differentiating was nice. Their interactions are well done and the fact we see Migi being a troll is awesome. That
Dick arm
was fuckin awesome and to see it not completely censored made me so happy. Thank you Madhouse you made my day. I would post a picture but knowing I would be immediately banned I'm not gonna do it. But damn seeing Shinichi at the end like that was wicked. Made those little shits piss in their pants.

I know some people may not like the OP, but me I love it. The ending is also enjoyable to listen to. Now onto the dubstep, personally it's freakin enjoyable for me. It really did get me hyped up for some of the scenes. So good.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think HxH was #1, unless they did ones I'm not aware of.

edit: checking list now, have seen Death Note, Paranoia Agent and Monster, nothing else. Didn't know they were so prolific.

If you like the extreme gore and fight scenes in parasyte check out hellsing ultimate.

Kieli

Episode 2 has covered that question already, and in the best way possible :lol :lol :lol

Oh, LOOOOOOOL.

I didn't even notice that scene. Was like, what were you guys talking about with respect to masturbation scene.

That other dude must have been seriously creeped out.

Branduil

Parasyte 2

ibyudUWwSYlTH4.jpg
iZxbgtcj6314u.jpg

iyOiBtP3nXW7P.jpg
ib1ekzKKUoCu7y.jpg

Someone got some Kawamori in my Parasyte.

As everyone has said, this episode was certainly a step-down, production-wise, from the first episode. It's still adequate, though, and the show remains compelling and intriguing. Playing the empathetic and naive Shinichi against the amoral and alien Migi allows for philosophical discussion to arise naturally, and it's already easy to see the dangers of Shinichi's plan, although he has little choice in his current situation.

Jaeger

This shit is awesome. It's like The Thing. I never heard of the manga, until this though. And the animation is top notch (YAY MADHOUSE).

Antiwhippy

Also I was wondering where they got the glasses chick from, but once she said her brother is a detective I knew who she was.

Interesting how they are changing up some sequences.

duckroll

Episode 2

Glad to see that even without Hiramatsu as the animation director the character animation are still pretty lively. I really like the little subtle movements and facial expressions. The hand holding scene was great too. Madhouse seems to be taking this adaptation pretty seriously, and with Hunter x Hunter over they shouldn't have problems with resources. The only real negative about this series is how iffy the music is. I don't even think the music itself is bad, it just doesn't really fit the show and isn't used very effectively. Oh well.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Parasyte 2
Parasyte once again prove it worth. Even though i notice there's a slight quality decrease, it's still a pleasant show to watch. Now, there's few thing that i notice about this episde, mostly about the nature of human and parasyte. In this episode, there's a comment about human closer to demon, as shown in the last scene, there's a bunch of teenager doing cruel thing to cat, just because. Sadist and cruel as it may be, the parasyte kill only to satiate their hunger, no more, no less.

Holding hand scene is so damn lewd, but it also show the connection between both character, and how human may instinctively can feel the presence of parasyte. Another thing i applaud is that the change of setting in this show to the 00 year making it more relatable to the audience and giving us interesting problem as well, even with all the internet thing going on, no one seem to understand the phenomena that happen. Now, one thing i notice is that mating process is a major theme in this episode, in line with puberty thing that happen to teenager. Definitely a great episode.

hoggert

animation in ep 2 was a bit embarrassing at times, but still pretty damn good. Some of the minor body animations in early scenes was just like what with the fingers and such. Hirano keeps being perfect.

Cwarrior

Parasyte ep 1-2

Easily by far the best anime this season but at the same time some of the changes made to this from the original source material(manga) is stupid, they decide too Animu it up a bit.

-character designs & character behaviour changes like Wat the fuck?

They decide to pussyfiy the main character making him much more of a loser wimp turning down the gusto to negative levels, and the main girl has been kawaiied up to look & behave more cutesy(blushing airheaded idiot).

-bad character design changes that's made the material lose it's more serious sci-fi tone in favor of being more appealing to the dumb animu crowd and Tadashi Hiramatsu is a decent animator but sucks at character design his got no style of his own just more generic stuff, wish they hired someone more competent.
???dub-step????
+great morphing fluid animation

Dispite some issues I had with the changes made it's still a great watch but a step down from the manga.

if the animation is at least half as consistent as Hunter x hunter then where in for a treat.

Parasyte 2

don't worry shinichi the badass will be coming soon.

I like his character though. He may be weak but he's brave and has a strong sense of justice.

Finalow

thatsapenis.jpg
as far as the mc go, I read the manga, the first 3 chapters or so - at the same point where the anime is - and to be honest he's not that much different. I didn't really see this huge difference in his personality so far.

seeing that this 'love relationship' is going pretty fast (sex in the next 2 episodes?) I wonder if some tragedy will occur? Uhh. I hope that I'm wrong, I like the girl.

Dice//

Banned
I kinda liked the less goofy look of the old manga (main guy and girl look like chumps now whereas their 80s versions looked more....well, admittedly like everyday simpletons). At the very least, the art in the manga looked/felt more threatening.

Anyways, I'm enjoying it otherwise. Love the inclusion of our modern tech. :p

Ninjimbo

I've never heard of Parasyte before this show appeared. The only reason I'm watching is because Madhouse is usually excellent in everything. That said, what an awesome ride thus far. I love everything about it even the dubstep soundtrack that hits when things start getting real. The OP gets me so pumped. I need that song in my life.

I hope the excellence continues. This could be AOTY if it continues at this rate.

Antiwhippy

Parasyte ep 1-2

Easily by far the best anime this season but at the same time some of the changes made to this from the original source material(manga) is stupid, they decide too Animu it up a bit.

-character designs & character behaviour changes like Wat the fuck?

They decide to pussyfiy the main character making him much more of a loser wimp turning down the gusto to negative levels, and the main girl has been kawaiied up to look & behave more cutesy(blushing airheaded idiot).

Dunno how long it is since you've read the manga but he has always been meek at the start.

Also kawaii'd up compared to what? The girl in the manga was basically there to go "Are you really shinichi?"

That basically defined her character in the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom