• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Particular (scenes from) games you'd be embarrassed to show to others?

TEH-CJ

Banned
I can name a few

1. DMC3 - i feel like dieing inside every time dante opens his mouth.

2. FFX " lmao " scene...yea

3. VF 5 ...dear god

4. Rico/ luger in killzone 1.

My nominee for most potentially embarassing gameplay experience for an unknowing audience...

250px-Imas360_10.jpg

Mar

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Sonic Heroes in general. There were so many embarrassing cutscenes and one-liners in that game, such as these classics:

"Don't get so excited boys! Those were the eaaaaaasy ones!"

"Our new adventure awaits! Yeah! We're SONIC HEROES!"

"Let's blast through with sonic speed!"

"Weeee!"

"Look at all those Eggman's robot's!"

"Whoa, my head's spinning!!!"

"Amy knock it off, we've got no time to play!"

"Destroy, annihilat-, destroy, annihilat-, destroy, annihilation!!!"

"Marriage? NO WAY!"

"DEATH to the evil one. Prepare to die, Eggman!"

"Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, time to meet your maker!"

"SHAAA!"

"Time to crack that Eggman wide open!"

"Looks like it's all over... FOR YOU!"

"We'll show that creep the real SUPER POWER of teamwork!"

"Duhhh... What's bingo?"

This sums up pretty well why Sonic games suck balls these days. Ever since they gave those characters a voice, seriously.

Srider said:
I think a long time ago, I used to get excited at nice CG movies from games like the FF series and wanted to show friends + families.

Their generally apathetic attitude made me realize now that showing people your games is a pretty embarrassing act in itself.

Unless of course, you made it.

Agreed...I can remember playing Turboduo in college, and my roommates generally asking what kind of ghetto ish is this...Nothing like playing a crappy videogame just to play it, and having someone walk in to catch you playing a crappy game just to play one.

Only hardcore gamers would understand why I had to play something like It Came From the Desert.

Mar_ said:
This sums up pretty well why Sonic games suck balls these days. Ever since they gave those characters a voice, seriously.

Haha, yes those games are definately embarassing for a 30 year old to play...

Mamesj

Banned
Mar_ said:

I kinda feel that way about Mario's voice acting...does he really need to talk or make a high pitched grunt every time you jump? Yes, Mario Galaxy the game fucking rules everything with an iron fist. But as soon as you press the MG icon in the Wii menu and have to hear "SUPER MARIO GALAXY!!!!!!" in that annoying high pitched, mildly Italian voice, it makes me want to say mean things to cute puppies. Good thing the gameplay is so good though :D

jbueno

AQUA BURST!
DARK FLARE!
CHRONOS BLOW!

Though it didn´t stop me from playing the game on high volume.

And just very recently Persona 3, since the game´s OST is really different to what I usually listen to, I do get weird looks from people around. Embarassing, yes, but not enough to make me stop playing.

Mamesj

Banned
jbueno said:
And just very recently Persona 3, since the game´s OST is really different to what I usually listen to, I do get weird looks from people around. Embarassing, yes, but not enough to make me stop playing.

"dance or I'll put you in a trance!!"

way to go on the 80s rap phrases Japan...now lets try the 90s or 00s :lol

That one was also a bit annoying to play in front of people. very anime-ish.

I have a really bad habit of playing game intros when I'm drunk. I don't know what it is, but I always love the opening movie / music. My girlfriend must think I'm a "special case". All of these game intros that seem so cool to me must seem like total retardation to her.

Bildi

- RE4 "ballistics" scene - I actually played it in front of someone the other day, and wanted to laugh because it's so corny, but couldn't.
- Most anything from FFX.
- Scenes from MGS involving talking.
- Quite a few scenes from Eternal Sonata (on the plus side, most people probably fall asleep first).
- DK64 rap... sorry to all who had managed to forget it.

Mistouze said:
Harvesting a little sister.
I wouldn't know - I never harvested one you monster.

goldenpp72

Lets see..

Most things from shenmue
Amy scenes in sonic adventure titles
MGS2
FFX laugh scene
Sonic rush friendship shit
sonic heroes

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Bildi said:
I wouldn't know - I never harvested one you monster.

Don't tell me that the behavior of the first little sister, whatever you choose to do to her wouldn't freak out any non gamer!

Bildi

Mistouze said:
Don't tell me that the behavior of the first little sister, whatever you choose to do to her wouldn't freak out any non gamer!
You're probably right, due to the nature of the situation a non-gamer looking on probably wouldn't share the warm fuzzy feeling I had after I made my saintly decision.

I'm so ashamed for playing that game. Repeatedly.

Pimpbaa

I think I turned down the volume for the FFX laugh scene (god what a horrible horrible game). But that's about it. And I own Rumble Roses XX and DOAX 2.

MechaX

I would say that Persona 3 is a pretty recent example, but I'm not really embarrassed to show the game to others. In fact, I find the various reactions to the gun + head = summon persona concept pretty humorous. The reactions to the music is always funny to.

Now actual scenes that I'm legitimately embarrassed about when people see them...

AAK said:

Had a hard time trying to defend DMC3 after that one.

Laughing scene from FFX gets a mandatory mention, as well as the first ten minutes of FFX-2 (Well, playing FFX-2 in the presence of others is usually much more awkward than it should be).

MGS2's last hour rewarded me with some... interesting reactions from friends and family.

I also got laughed off the TV when I attempted to play Panzer Dragoon Orta around both of my roommates last year.

jbueno said:
AQUA BURST!
DARK FLARE!
CHRONOS BLOW!

Though it didn´t stop me from playing the game on high volume.

EXTREMELY distinctive, and yah, rather hard to shake from the "lulz animu sim" field unless one's played it.

THEN comes explaining the Evoker. Heh.

Pretty much any RE game because of the voice acting. I mean, people will people like, "Cool! Shooting zombies is fucking awesome!" Then they'll hear something about a "Jill sandwich" or "I need a big can of bug spray" and they'll groan like the very zombies they thought were so cool.

What in the hell is the RE 4 ballistic scene?

jbueno

SatelliteOfLove said:
EXTREMELY distinctive, and yah, rather hard to shake from the "lulz animu sim" field unless one's played it.

THEN comes explaining the Evoker. Heh.

Oh, how could I have forgotten trying to explain the AWESOME that is the Evoker...

"That looks cool, but why must they kill themselves every time they attack!?"

That actually isn´t a gun. That device its just shaped like one, you see in order to bring out their Personas they (...)

"Ahhhh... what?"

I ignored my brother and kept playing. Think it was the best for us both.

Really good game though, I´m having a blast thus far.

Lilsnubby

MGS4 - I was watching the trailer at work and a few co-workers walked in. They are all gamers but definitely not MGS fans. As I was talking up the game we noticved Snakes new outfit is, shall we say, "form fitting". The old man could crack walnuts with his butt. Suddenly he knocks a guy out and gets on top of him and starts well... gyrating on top of him, humping really. Truth be told it was all very homoerotic. Everyone was like ...yeah...that looks...good.

Looking forward to it but to the uninitiated the Metal Gear series can seem awful strange even to other gamers.

Speevy

Banned
Playing Culdcept while a non-gamer is in the room is pretty funny.

After 3 years, my mother still knows the word "Catoblepas"

Rezbit said:
Oh man, definitely We Love Katamari. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a level where you were rolling up cities and crap, but I was caught on the level where you roll up flowers, and that really quaint French sounding song is playing. My Mom just looked at me like "What the hell is this..." :lol

My whole family LOVES Katamari. They thought it was totally mad when they first saw the first game, but love it. My 40 year old sister with three kids is now probably the best Katamari player I've ever seen. She's an absolute master of both games.

zoukka

Thread of the year allready! I can`t remember laughing so hard in a long time... and in GAF only the photoshop-threads top this shit...

Don`t know if someone posted it allready but the most disturbing scene with a friend was the Killer 7 Wheelchair-job-scene. I didn`t mind but my friend... well i had a lot explaining to do :)

Dahbomb

Forceatowulf said:
This isn't a scene but it was rather embarrassing to say the least. I once got into an argument with my brother over how EA makes shitty games and said the constant freezing in his madden games were proof of this. So I booted up GOW2 not long after to show him what a true game with true dedication behind it plays like... and it fucking froze on me 7 minutes through. He practically laughed me out of the room.
OWNED!

For me has to be MGS2 naked Raiden scene. This was like the only time where everyone in my house just happened to walk by and see me playing with a naked guy. My sister rolled my eyes at me. :lol

Oh and this one ranks pretty high on the embarassing list:

6q8z4pd.jpg

I didn't really find the other scenes to be that cheesy/ridiculous, until I saw this one. I just hope there is none of this in DMC4.

WinFonda

I have to pause my games whenever I have someone enter my room that is not familiar with gaming. It's just too awkward.

Oh, and this is exactly why every game should have cutscnes that can be paused AND skipped.

But in particular I have a dislike for games that are non-stop profanity factories.

Dahbomb

Anything with voice acting. This includes grunts and yells.
Anything with romantic overtones.
Anything with effeminate males.
Anything with grizzled warriors. (I don't even play this stuff myself.)
Anything with large-chested females. (Likewise.)
Anything in CG.
Anything unskippable.
Anything that takes place in a war setting. (Don't play this stuff either.)
Anything super bright and colorful.
So you basically think that ANY video game that isn't a sports/simulator game is an embarassment.

I think you should consider quitting the hobby. :lol

watkinzez

MGS3's kissing scenes even were kind of embarrassing to watch alone. They basically took Snake's eating animation and used it in close vicinity to Eva. :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Tristam said:
A very recent one occurred -- spanking female thugs in God Hand while my parents were watching.
Tell them they're trannies! Worked for Poison in Final Fight.

Hmm... I just watched the HA HA HA scene and it wasn't too bad. I mean, it's obviously awkward, but that's pretty reflective of what the situation would be like in real life.

Similar shit was done in that movie Garden State. The movie wasn't good, but it wasn't embarrassing either.

eso76

honestly ?
my girlfriend certainly never bothered me about my addiction to videogames, she actually acts as though she's interested in them, i know she really isn't (well, she liked okami, zelda tww, loved katamary damacy and DDR but she's actually only genuinely interested in graphics and architectures in 3d games from her fine arts studies) but she sometimes sits with me and watches me play.

I started feeling embarassed at how most games must look to a non-gamer girl.
90% of them involve moving your alter ego around, shooting/beating someone.
She must be wondering why all videogames look the same, why i keep buying new videogames where you basically have to do the same things, and she (actually, everyone) must be wondering how comes the principle of fun, the sense of accomplishment, are almost always associated with eliminating someone else.

Top Bottom