• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile 2 Official Trailer

Fuz

Banned
Will it still have anachronistics mechanics like XP loss on death and no AH?

EDIT: nvm, it's not really a "PoE 2", just an expansion.
EDIT2: or not? It's not too clear.

Last edited:

dust bunny

They kind of painted themselves into a corner with a lot of things (like the clear speed meta) so splitting off into a sequel, starting over, re-tuning and trying new things is great. It's what I was hoping for with 4.0.0, but way better.

Dunki

Will it still have anachronistics mechanics like XP loss on death and no AH?

EDIT: nvm, it's not really a "PoE 2", just an expansion.
EDIT2: or not? It's not too clear.
It is a new game with a complete new 7 act story and new graphic engine but you also can use the endgame content from 1. But there are a lot of mechanical changes as well

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only played a touch of PoE. COming from someone who's played every Diablo a decent amount of time, PoE felt weird. The character seems to run like he's got no physics and slides around the ground and the game has a Single-A budget feel to it.

Here's hoping PoE 2 ups the ante, since Diablo 4 isn't going to come out for probably 4 years.

It's not that kind of F2P.
After multiple years playing PoE, I have had enough of how F2P affected the game. The sequel looks pretty, but i don't want to deal with it anymore. I have Grim Dawn and i am not going back to games that are balanced around trading with other players and impossible to really reach end game self found. And I am certainly not going to want to deal with always-online. Offline gaming is the only way forward for me.

I literally bought every possible expansion, even the cosmetic ones, for Grim Dawn, once I realized they are the only ones still making the games I want to play. A good looting system cannot survive player trading. If you balance around trading, you would never be self sufficient.

I agree with him to be honest. In order for your character to look decent in the game you have to spend serious cash. For many people your character looking badass is important in ARPGS.

Exactly this. PoE may be a good game, but having to pay for the cosmetics which are Uniques in Diablo or Grim Dawn is what kills it for me.

Rather play Grim Dawn every day over PoE because of that.

DavidGzz

Now, this looks good! PoE 1 feels bad but you can really tell how much better this will feel just by watching. D4 will have some competition.

klosos

Excellent, this is great news. I was getting burnt out with Poe and haven't played it this season. One of the reason's for me getting burnt out was going through the 10 chapter main story to get to the Atlas.

So i think I'll hold off til Poe 2 is released then jump back in. Personally I think Poe is the greatest ARPG ever released.

Coflash

Have we finally reached a point in time where hardware and technology has caught up to our current demands?

Might we be able to finally break the mold set by the first game, after all these years, dollars and hours... after all this pain and suffering...

Can we set ourselves free from the shackles that constrain us?

...will be be able to zoom out now?

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Bolivar687

Banned
I'm genuinely overjoyed with this announcement and I think every PC gamer should be, too. It's obviously not a new engine here, but I think the PBR, raytracing, and new assets will together collectively make this feel like a new iteration. And if I'm being completely honest, I no longer have the same reservations in 2019 with Path of Exile about presentation or image quality that I might have had 3 or 4 years ago.

I think it's awesome that this is getting showcased at the same time as Diablo 4, but it's going to be bad for Blizzard if they really take years and years to launch their contender.

Phase

I'm genuinely overjoyed with this announcement and I think every PC gamer should be, too. It's obviously not a new engine here, but I think the PBR, raytracing, and new assets will together collectively make this feel like a new iteration. And if I'm being completely honest, I no longer have the same reservations in 2019 with Path of Exile about presentation or image quality that I might have had 3 or 4 years ago.

I think it's awesome that this is getting showcased at the same time as Diablo 4, but it's going to be bad for Blizzard if they really take years and years to launch their contender.
I do hope they can still improve in the graphical department for POE 2.

Dontero

Banned
Honestly i am not that hot about "POE2"
I'd rather have non linear way to get to end game rather than second campaign.
Second campaign will become same as first one after you play it 100 times. Boring.

Ascendancy stuff is also imho bad. I loved POE system before Ascendancies were introduced. Ascendacies basically removed freeform of POE and changed from fake classes into true classes. And now instead of giving it more freedom it further makes ascendancy choise more important to what you play.

I also didn't see any comment about changing meta of the game to slower one. POE over they years just goes faster and faster and faster. Lately basically every build you make is zoom zoom build otherwise you basically are playing it wrong as monster speed, damage etc is balanced around that speed and nothing else.

Diablo 4 for now looks like more interesting to me, mostly due to slower pace of gameplay. There are some stuff that i don't like, like ultimate moves but team there is open to feedback and plenty of people already gave feedback that ultimates shouldn't exist in arpg.

New socket systems looks really neat and imho it is good change. So are new boss battles which look much nicer and are way more interesting. Unfortunutelly until they change meta of game it is like pissing in the wind because zoom zoomers won't care about those boss battles.

yes it is

No it is not. For one you can't buy power in game only some cosmetics. There are stash tabs to buy but you can make as much accounts as you want so it is kind off moot point and POE gives you more default stash space than any other ARPG right now (outside of modden Grim Dawn). You literally can play game for 1000s of hours and never even see or use their shop.

I agree with him to be honest. In order for your character to look decent in the game you have to spend serious cash. For many people your character looking badass is important in ARPGS.

?? Every unique has ... unique look to them and you can easily make decent looking character. Secondly they will be revising all base items for POE2 making them look much nicer. Or do you mean those conspetics with retarded wings and shit like in WOW ? IMO they shouldn't be in game to begin with as style doesn't fit POE.

Why does the trailer say 1 game, 2 campaigns if this is a new game?

Because you will be deciding at start what you want to play. POE1 and those classes or POE2 and new classes. They are effectively adding new campaign to game. They will be also redoing whole POE1 campaign to look much nicer to POE2 campaign standards. When you finish campaign in POE2 you will be doing same end game as POE1 campaign players.

Exactly this. PoE may be a good game, but having to pay for the cosmetics which are Uniques in Diablo or Grim Dawn is what kills it for me.

POE has literally more uniques than D3 and Grim Dawn combined and 90% of them have their own unique 3D art. None of which you need to spend any money on. In shop you can only buy some bullshit attachments or alternative look for some spells which usually don't look better than original skills.

Last edited:

Helios

yes it is
nah
RRSYBrv.jpg

Helios

Rather pay once then have a game build to whine about more and more money.
pay once and than pay again for each content update

or

pay nothing and get significant content updates every 3 months for free

If you seriously think that PoE is a bad type of F2P I don't know what to tell you.
Not that it matters. D4 is going to have cosmetic DLC on top of you paying for the base game and expansions.

Last edited:

down 2 orth

Blizzard making other companies filthy rich with their missteps. No wonder family-friendly Diablo couldn't stand the test of time.

Dontero

Banned
Esp paywalled stashtabs is shitty as hell

You can make as much accounts as you like. Which means stash tabs are qol. Also GGG allows multiboxing, so you can run several instances of POE at the same time.

Comparing it to D3 which gives you almost no space for single character stash and you also have to mule with other characters it is already better. D2 had even less stash space and you couldn't even multibox so you had to buy second copy of game on second computer to transfer items or drop them on battle net instance with friends to pick it up with other character.

Only Grim Dawn have more stash space but it is also limited and it is not that much bigger stash. Grim Dawn has mods though which expand a lot stash space but those are mods not official game. Also most of that stash space was expanded with expansions.

So who are you comparing it too exactly ? Either way you will have to mule with either accounts or characters and by default POE gives you pretty much same amount of space as in Grim Dawn which is best in business. And you paid 0$ for that unlike Grim Dawn or D3 or even D2.

I wish though Grim Dawn would get sequel. From what we know Crate is not working in sequel and won't be for long time.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Saw a bit of the gameplay preview and the good looks smooooth I like it

Didn't really enjoy PoX 1 as much as I wanted but I saw the potential it had

Mista

Banned
  • Path of Exile: Conquerors of the Atlas – “An expansion that changes Path of Exile‘s entire endgame,” due out on December 13.
  • Path of Exile: Metamorph – The next challenge league for Path of Exile in which players can build their own boss, due out alongside Conquerors of the Atlas in December.
  • Path of Exile: Mobile – An experimental mobile version of Path of Exile, described as a “complete Path of Exile game experience with no pay-to-win elements.”
One Game, Two Campaigns

Path of Exile 2 is a new seven-act storyline that is available alongside the original Path of Exile 1 campaign. Both the old and new storyline lead to the same shared Atlas endgame. Path of Exile 2 retains all expansion content that has been created over the last six years and introduces a new skill system, ascendancy classes, engine improvements, and more.

20 Years Have Passed

Since the death of Kitava, society has been slowly rebuilding. Ambitious men rise to fill the void and their thirst for power is once again corrupting Wraeclast.

19 New Ascendancy Classes

Path of Exile 2‘s characters are a new set of Exiles who fall into the same class archetypes as those in the original game. As such, they can pick from a set of 19 new Ascendancy Classes that differ from the old ones that are still available in the Path of Exile 1 campaign.

New Skill Gem System

Path of Exile 2 introduces the next generation of Path of Exile’s iconic skill system. Support Gems are now socketed directly into Skill Gems, removing many of the frustrations present in the old system while maintaining all the previous depth. It’s now possible to six-link every skill your character uses.

All-New Equipment

The entire progression of armor and weapons has been redone from start to finish, alongside entirely new character models and animations. All of your old microtransactions are still compatible.

And Much More

Over the next year, we’ll announce a lot more information about the improvements in Path of Exile 2, such as changes to the Passive Skill Tree and other core game systems.
Over the years there have been many changes that we would have loved to make to Path of Exile but couldn’t, because they would break existing characters. Path of Exile 2 is an opportunity to make all of these changes in one large update.

In the Meantime

We don’t have a release date for Path of Exile 2 yet, but we’re unlikely to start a beta until at least very late 2020. In the meantime, we are continuing to release Path of Exile expansions on our regular three-month cycle. This content will be available in both the Path of Exile 1 and Path of Exile 2 campaigns.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Because you will be deciding at start what you want to play. POE1 and those classes or POE2 and new classes. They are effectively adding new campaign to game. They will be also redoing whole POE1 campaign to look much nicer to POE2 campaign standards. When you finish campaign in POE2 you will be doing same end game as POE1 campaign players.
Then calling it PoE2 is misleading. It's an expansion campaign with engine improvements.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned

You can get a lot of mtx by just playing leagues.

And it's a F2P game they do have to make money.

dust bunny

They are redesigning the system mechanics, making 19 new "classes" and making an entirely new campaign. I don't know how that isn't as much of a sequel as diablo 2 is to diablo 1.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You can make as much accounts as you like. Which means stash tabs are qol. Also GGG allows multiboxing, so you can run several instances of POE at the same time.

Comparing it to D3 which gives you almost no space for single character stash and you also have to mule with other characters it is already better. D2 had even less stash space and you couldn't even multibox so you had to buy second copy of game on second computer to transfer items or drop them on battle net instance with friends to pick it up with other character.
That’s bull and you know it.
And why the hell does PoE defense force always start talking about diablo.
It's like they have some kinda of PTST of hurt diablo 3 being fun to play

I'm extremely excited about POE 2, but i hope they finally do something about the shit that is trading.
GGG has a dilemma with PoE as a whole.
PoE is entirely supported with cosmetic micro-transactions. And the best way to keep the sales up is to make sure players are forced to meet each other in-game and thus want to look god in front of other people. That is why you log into town rather than straight into the hideout. It's so you will always see and be seen by others. Blizzard is planning something similar with D4.

One of the biggest reason for anyone to talk to other players, is to trade. Trading between players is something that is expected for games like this, but it isn't what GGG wants. Trading skews item rarity massively, and both make mid tier items too cheap and make no-lifers able to easily max out gear and get bored.

GGG only allow trading because they had to. Because players expect it. But GGG made trading as hard as physically possible, because the more friction in trading the less it affects item supply. If trading becomes easy, good items would flood the market and nearly everyone could get top tier gear, since the very strongest players are flooded with good drops that they don't need.

There is also the fact that simple and fast trading makes player interaction shorter. GGG WANT you to personally go to someone's hideout to trade, to visibly see the cosmetic items other people bought and have a way to show off your own cosmetics to others.

As an example, an in-game auctionhouse like launch DIII would remove all personal interactions, as you never see the other player. That would decrease incentive for cosmetic purchases.

Making trading as hard as possible is not a flaw, it is by design. It is so you look at your own crappy appearance and feel embarrassed in front of others, thus incentivizing you to buy the cosmetics, pimping yourself out.

Dontero

Banned
That’s bull and you know it.
And why the hell does PoE defense force always start talking about diablo.
It's like they have some kinda of PTST of hurt diablo 3 being fun to play

If you would actually read my post instead of sperging you would know i mentioned Grim Dawn. Diablo 3, GD and POE are corrently top ARPGs people play. Outside of that there don't see any other game that comes close.

No "That's bull" is not valid argument and you know it.

I'm extremely excited about POE 2, but i hope they finally do something about the shit that is trading.

They won't do anything. They are completely happy with current system. It is hard enough so that normal people will use it to sell their stuff which is the point. Either way they already kind of "lost" on their idea for it when they introduced trading API.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am not multiboxing or any other tedious crap just to be able to play a game and not feel constantly cut on inv space that is f2p shit and i wont have any of it.
If they make this game 60 i would be in day 1.
And i don't care about cosmetic stuff as the normal content won't suffer through this.

Wtf is the point anyway is BUYING loot in a loot game. that defeats the whole damn reason of in game loot.
srsly XD

Inapp sheit ruined fighting games for me.
And i rather have my arpg's not infested with this trash

RedVIper

Banned
I am not multiboxing or any other tedious crap just to be able to play a game and not feel constantly cut on inv space that is f2p shit and i wont have any of it.

Pay 60 bucks and get all the inventory space your heart desires.
I dont understand your problem.

TheBreezyBB

GGG has a dilemma with PoE as a whole.
PoE is entirely supported with cosmetic micro-transactions. And the best way to keep the sales up is to make sure players are forced to meet each other in-game and thus want to look god in front of other people. That is why you log into town rather than straight into the hideout. It's so you will always see and be seen by others. Blizzard is planning something similar with D4.

One of the biggest reason for anyone to talk to other players, is to trade. Trading between players is something that is expected for games like this, but it isn't what GGG wants. Trading skews item rarity massively, and both make mid tier items too cheap and make no-lifers able to easily max out gear and get bored.

GGG only allow trading because they had to. Because players expect it. But GGG made trading as hard as physically possible, because the more friction in trading the less it affects item supply. If trading becomes easy, good items would flood the market and nearly everyone could get top tier gear, since the very strongest players are flooded with good drops that they don't need.

There is also the fact that simple and fast trading makes player interaction shorter. GGG WANT you to personally go to someone's hideout to trade, to visibly see the cosmetic items other people bought and have a way to show off your own cosmetics to others.

As an example, an in-game auctionhouse like launch DIII would remove all personal interactions, as you never see the other player. That would decrease incentive for cosmetic purchases.

Making trading as hard as possible is not a flaw, it is by design. It is so you look at your own crappy appearance and feel embarrassed in front of others, thus incentivizing you to buy the cosmetics, pimping yourself out.

This part i understand a bit since they need a way to make money, after all nothing is really FREE. Fast trade interaction is what you get right now " Hi@whatever, i like to buy your 1 chaos orb for my chaos orb. : Trade accepted : t4t " done and 90% of the time you wont even see who you traded with or what MTX he had.

My biggest problem however is price fixing and waiting hours to sell your one item so you can invest in your build or even make another one. This shit need to be addressed.

And i don't care about cosmetic stuff as the normal content won't suffer through this.

Wtf is the point anyway is BUYING loot in a loot game. that defeats the whole damn reason of in game loot.
srsly XD

You really don't have to buy shit at all to enjoy the game. I started the game and played for like 100+ hours and then i bought some stash tabs, but i played the game for over 100 hours without paying a cent. Unlike 99% of all f2p games out there nothing even comes close.

srsly XD

I guess I'm confused by your reasoning here. You don't like the F2P aspect, so you would rather it cost money at launch, but you can just spend the same amount that you would on any other new game and get the things you are complaining about anyway. It's literally the same thing. Unless you just want it to be 100% free with nothing to buy, which doesn't make any sense.

Top Bottom