• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile 2 Official Trailer

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Not that difficult. See it like doing groceries with a small child on a very busy day, you have a headache and this brat is NON STOP screaming he wants candy and you have to keep telling him no.
This is how i experience playing a F2P game. It's not that hard. What i want is pay a fixed price. And not be begged by it over and over again the further i get into a game.
Too many games to play to deal with that stuff.
I paid the season pass for borderlands 3 days 1, In the past they always had great dlc. Didn't care one bit about that,
Maybe it's because i did marketing as an education inc graphical design. And i know a lot about influencing people. Inc how mobile apps are made. To realize how fucking shit it is. As in i am not letting my kids play those games ever.

Last edited:

FMXVII

Not that difficult. See it like doing groceries with a small child on a very busy day, you have a headache and this brat is NON STOP screaming he wants candy and you have to keep telling him no.
This is how i experience playing a F2P game. It's not that hard. What i want is pay a fixed price. And not be begged by it over and over again the further i get into a game.
Too many games to play to deal with that stuff.
I paid the season pass for borderlands 3 days 1, In the past they always had great dlc. Didn't care one bit about that,
Maybe it's because i did marketing as an education inc graphical design. And i know a lot about influencing people. Inc how mobile apps are made. To realize how fucking shit it is. As in i am not letting my kids play those games ever.

This is why PoE sucks, and always shall.

Grim Dawn for the win.

This is why PoE sucks, and always shall.
Because they have things to buy in the game on a voluntary basis? It's just such an odd reaction to have.

At any rate, I am very excited for some of the new changes that are coming, up to and including the PoE2 release. PoE has always been a game for me that is about shaking things up and experimentation, and many of the things they have shown so far during the convention are right in line with that. Looking forward to the newly upgraded engine well. Splitting the game campaign like they are doing is a very smart way of solving the problem of wanting to try new things, and to utilize their experience honed over the years to build a better game, without throwing away all of the hard work and time spent on the original.

Tomeru

After multiple years playing PoE, I have had enough of how F2P affected the game. The sequel looks pretty, but i don't want to deal with it anymore. I have Grim Dawn and i am not going back to games that are balanced around trading with other players and impossible to really reach end game self found. And I am certainly not going to want to deal with always-online. Offline gaming is the only way forward for me.

I literally bought every possible expansion, even the cosmetic ones, for Grim Dawn, once I realized they are the only ones still making the games I want to play. A good looting system cannot survive player trading. If you balance around trading, you would never be self sufficient.

How did f2p affected poe?

How did f2p affected poe?
I already explained it.
1. The buisness model of cosmetic sales require that players interact with each other
2. The game forces players to meet each other. Including for trading.
3. The game is balanced around trading, rendering item drops horrible unless you trade for items that boost loot.
4. If you don't trade, you don't get easy access to end game drop rate modifiers, which then make the drop rate modifier items even rarer.

In fact, the silly thing is that the rare items that boost your drop rates in maps is worth so much, 99% of the players are better off selling the damn things to the rich players instead of using it on themselves. The economy is wacked because the rich gets richer, and the poor just farms items at low levels for cash. You don't get anything from your own drops.

1. The buisness model of cosmetic sales require that players interact with each other
2. The game forces players to meet each other. Including for trading.
3. The game is balanced around trading, rendering item drops horrible unless you trade for items that boost loot.
4. If you don't trade, you don't get easy access to end game drop rate modifiers, which then make the drop rate modifier items even rarer.
1. You don't need to interact with other players to play the game, event at a high level.
2. You don't need to interact with other players to play the game, event at a high level.
3. You don't need to interact with other players to play the game, event at a high level.
4. You don't need to interact with other players to play the game, event at a high level.

There was a SSFHC (solo, self found, hard core) player this league that nearly hit 1000 depth in the delve content in the game. It's 100% possible to play the game without trading with anyone, ever. If the game wasn't F2P though, and instead cost $60, what, exactly, would change about your complaints above? The genie isn't going back in the bottle.

1. You don't need to interact with other players to play the game, event at a high level.
2. You don't need to interact with other players to play the game, event at a high level.
3. You don't need to interact with other players to play the game, event at a high level.
4. You don't need to interact with other players to play the game, event at a high level.

There was a SSFHC (solo, self found, hard core) player this league that nearly hit 1000 depth in the delve content in the game. It's 100% possible to play the game without trading with anyone, ever. If the game wasn't F2P though, and instead cost $60, what, exactly, would change about your complaints above? The genie isn't going back in the bottle.
What will change? My gaming choices. You made your choice and I made mine.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Sure if you want to make it a full time job. I tried 2 seasons a few hundred hours and basically zero what I would consider good drops 5 link or more for my class, weapons for my builds ect. The drop rates are terrible. Great skill tree lots of potential with a better combat engine and better drop rates. Don't really want to play a economic simulator. They just need to find a middle ground D3 was to generous this is beyond cheap in loot rates.

FMXVII

Sure if you want to make it a full time job. I tried 2 seasons a few hundred hours and basically zero what I would consider good drops 5 link or more for my class, weapons for my builds ect. The drop rates are terrible. Great skill tree lots of potential with a better combat engine and better drop rates. Don't really want to play a economic simulator. They just need to find a middle ground D3 was to generous this is beyond cheap in loot rates.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Psth of Exile took the very worst aspects of Diablo 2, and doubled down on them so hard, that, if you were to look at your hypothetical scouter, you'd think The Sleeper had awakened.

If I wanted to spend my free-time trading, I'd play the stockmarket.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Spukc

And that's
why i refuse to play f2p sheit. You always get shafted in the end yuck!

Last edited:

FMXVII

And that's

And then the servers close, and all that money spent on cosmetics is rabidly defended by the micro-whales with "So what? It's given me MY money's worth!!!"

And, as the salt of their tears dries, they carefully scrape it into a phial and seal it, so as to have something to remember their leetness by.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually impressed with the skill gem changes. Didn't think they'd make such a big change.

Neither did I, but I have to say I'm glad. The skill gem system in the original makes sense, but it's what I most don't like about playing the game (other than the general feel). I'm glad to see they are bringing in such a fundamental change.

alife

You can craft your own gear. "Can have multiple crafted modifiers" is a great crafting recipe that helps players acquire the attributes they need and it isn't difficult to unlock. With enough map grinding, it's not overly complicated nor excruciating to six-link a chest piece and/or a 2-handed weapon. Path of Exile requires you to research a viable build or for you to teach yourself how to come up with a viable build by understanding the ins & outs of build mechanics. If your build requires specific unique items, then you'll have to grind for them yourself or just do a quick trade. With regular changes to the skill tree and the new additions of items and skill gems, it's useful to stay up-to-date on meta builds (And this knowledge also becomes lucrative when you can profit early in a new league with highly sought out uniques and/or rares with certain attributes). If you're playing a softcore league or the Standard league, it really isn't that big of a deal to do a quick trade with another player considering how many items and builds there are available in the game (Especially on Standard league. There's so much fucking loot. Just message a player and trade for what you need, jeez). And there are trade sites (Official and unofficial) that make trading with other players easy. You don't have to trade but if you want something immediately, just trade for it. No, you don't need to invest time into this game as you would a full-time job to make a viable build for end-game mapping. You're complaining about not getting enough good drops (e.g., 5-links) and haven't even considered crafting. Every form of currency that drops as loot in this game is a crafting material. Maybe you should mouse over these materials and read the tool tips? And as already aforementioned, HC-SSF players have had a lot of success without having to interact with another player.

I get that a lot of people don't want to do a lot of reading or put in much effort into a hobby, fine. But to say Path of Exile is a bad or terrible game is just absolutely ludicrous. And the F2P model has helped the developers create new content and many players enjoy supporting them with regular content supporter pack updates and new cosmetic items. You don't have to spend a dime. Don't act like you have a gun pointed at your genitals being forced to play this game or that it's terrible because you have some trivial gripe(s) with it. If you don't like it, just leave. Don't think about it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ixiah

Banned
And that's
And that would be what ?
If PoE was 60 bucks, what would have to change ?
Because its the f2p model supported by cosmetics that alllows GGG to continualy to develeop more content.
If this game was buy once, you realy think it would have gotten the support it has ?

Last edited:

Spukc

And that would be what ?
If PoE was 60 bucks, what would have to change ?
Because its the f2p model supported by cosmetics that alllows GGG to continualy to develeop more content.
If this game was buy once, you realy think it would have gotten the support it has ?
Yes diablo 3 did too

Tomeru

And then the servers close, and all that money spent on cosmetics is rabidly defended by the micro-whales with "So what? It's given me MY money's worth!!!"

Please explain this. Im asking honestly - what are you talking about here?

Tomeru

No and people like you are exactly the reason i won't

D3 seasons are just a flick of the switch compared to leagues in poe though. I dont think there is another arpg with as much content as poe. And its free. So why the hate? Is it misinformation? Because Im reading alot of it here.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I agree with him to be honest. In order for your character to look decent in the game you have to spend serious cash. For many people your character looking badass is important in ARPGS.
So then you can put some cash on the table for the people who spent years developing and improving their title.
Sounds fair to me, about a hundred times better than items affecting gameplay...

I bought a frog with a crown and some fancy portal - I don't give a fuck about looking dope in this kind of game, but I wanted to give these developers money.
That's something F2P games do not usually achieve - normally, F2P force you to spend money on gameplay in one way or another and they are certainly not good enough to make you want to give devs something.

You obviously don't like people who make sense, so maybe that is for the best of you and those people.
Though I do agree GGG should sell a 30$ upfront variant or something along those lines that comes with all the stash tabs preconfigured.
It is some needless busywork to set up.

Grim Dawn for the win.
Sure, if you like walking through grain fields for 90% of the game.
I really liked the class system of Grim Dawn - just like I did with Titan Quest which they basically carbon-copied - but I tried three times giving the game a shot. Each time, I lost all will to continue cause everything looks the same for the largest part of the campaign.
I don't care about "end game", either. I just play the campaign in these games to the end then start over with a new character. It is the leveling that I like and seeing my character grow. Couldn't care less about finicky "a few % more here and there" that is end game.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Looks good, but for the love of fuck put in a transmog system that isn't consumable based.

Sure, if you like walking through grain fields for 90% of the game.
I really liked the class system of Grim Dawn - just like I did with Titan Quest which they basically carbon-copied - but I tried three times giving the game a shot. Each time, I lost all will to continue cause everything looks the same for the largest part of the campaign.

Grim Dawn uses the same engine as Titan Quest, so there interface similarities. Some of the same devs too.

I you think 90% of the game is grain fields then you haven't played much of the game. Any of the game. Either way, really.

RedVIper

Banned

And, as the salt of their tears dries, they carefully scrape it into a phial and seal it, so as to have something to remember their leetness by.

Yeah because we've never seen a 60 dollar game close its servers... Right?

SweetShark

I played the first one, I love it.
For sure I will start again playing the sequel with a new character.

But correct me if I am wrong, but technically it is the same game but a new chapter of the series with new graphics and some changes of in the gameplay.
So can I play the first chapter with these changes?

Ixiah

Banned
Yeah.....you complain,about what exactly i still have no idea, i just tell you to try the Game and that somehow reminds you of something so horrible you cant even bring yourself to dl and try a free game.
What ?

FMXVII

Yeah because we've never seen a 60 dollar game close its servers... Right?

I do not know whether or not anyone is stupid enough to pay $60 for a game, wherein nothing accompished has any semblence of permanence, once the servers go down.

But it is neither my problem nor my concern, much less pertintent to my point.

Any game that doesn't let the player keep his or her progress, is fundamentally a bad game, in my opinion, and absolutely not worth wasting a single moment of time playing.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
I do not know whether or not anyone is stupid enough to pay $60 for a game, wherein nothing accompished has any semblence of permanence, once the servers go down.

But it is neither my problem nor my concern, much less pertintent to my point.

Any game that doesn't let the player keep his or her progress, is fundamentally a bad game, in my opinion, and absolutely not worth wasting a single moment of time playing.

So any multi-player game?

MuleSkinner

Neo Member
What a great showing from GGG, they managed to outdo the 3.0 announcement which was huge.
I hope in a couple of years they announce some new IP, because these are the kind of companies this industry needs and I'd like to see even more from them.

HelpYouFall

Good for GGG, it looks dope.
I could never get into POE though, that skill tree and basically anything in that game gives me headaches.
I'm a simple man: I rift, I get loot, I rift again, rinse/repeat

I think this whole POE vs (modern) Diablo debate is kind of silly, I really think they try to do different things and some prefer one over the other and some love both for different reasons.

I know I'm going to get burried here because of Blizzards' shenanigans, but I'm ten times more excited for Diablo 4 than this sequel. The world, the gameplay, the 'OOMPH' your attacks have in D3. There's just something missing in POE that doesn't make it click for me like Diablo does.

I'm very happy for GGG and their fans though, people seem to be happy about this announcement overall?
And it's good there's two juggernaut ARPG's going at eachother now, competition brings out the best in companies.

Last edited:
The skill tree is simple but it shows you every skill for every character so it looks overwhelming at a glance. Even the Skyrim constellations are more difficult to manage!
You just gotta decide your build when you start. It has a search box now so you can highlight the correct order to allocate your skill points.
You can respec 1/5 of the skill points by the end of the campaign, you can find or trade for more respec points and you get free respecs when new leagues start.

The game's really not hard, not even the bullshit instakill bosses are annoying now because you respawn right outside the boss room and the damage is preserved lol
It feels much better to play than back in the beta and at launch. I wish it had more physics but in time GGG learned how to make combat feel better. I return to my fire/minions witch every 1-2 years and the game is getting bigger and better all the time.

Path of Exile, Van Helsing, Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege 3 and Victor Vran are all better than Grim Dawn IMO. That one's all the bad parts of Titan Quest dropped into a boring setting.

MuleSkinner

Neo Member
I keep forgetting how Grim Dawn doesn't let me keep my stuff.

Oh, wait...
How does PoE not let you keep your stuff.
You are always able to play standard and you lose nothing in that league.
Even if you play Temp leagues, at the end of the league all your stuff goes to standard, and in hardcore if you die your character and all equiped items + stuff currently in your inventory goes to standard.
So you never lose anything.

FMXVII

How does PoE not let you keep your stuff.
You are always able to play standard and you lose nothing in that league.
Even if you play Temp leagues, at the end of the league all your stuff goes to standard, and in hardcore if you die your character and all equiped items + stuff currently in your inventory goes to standard.
So you never lose anything.

When the servers go off, just so all your loot.

Top Bottom