• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Bearer (WWE manager of The Undertaker & Kane) has passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoFever

Sad. I associate him with a lot of fond wrestling memories, from managing the Undertaker in the early 90s and Kane in the Attitude Era. He was prominent in the two eras when I really cared about wrestling.

We don't really use the term pallbearers here, so I never got the pun in his name. It was years later, like the early 2000s, when I heard the people carrying the coffin in an American movie referred to as pallbearers that it clicked and I had a "HOLY SHIT" moment.

Oh shit, as someone whose favourite wrestler is Kane with Taker not far behind this is a cruel blow, he helped make so many of their segments over the years.
I lapped up Bearer's silly shtick with the urn, the wailing voice and exaggerated expressions, in theory such things should be too much even in the crazy world of wrestling but this guy managed to make it work, he was instrumental in helping make the Kane/Taker feud, even now i'm having my mind flash back to numerous parts of that rivalry over the years and before even a Kane or Taker promo leaps to mind i've got Paul Bearer yelling something instead.

I marked out for his 2010 return, he still had it!

I never felt so betrayed in my earlier years than when Paul Bearer turned on The Undertaker at Summerslam at the end of the Boiler Room Brawl with Mankind.

RIP Paul Bearer. You were a fantastic showman.

KissVibes

Banned
Paul Bearer had been managing Shaun Ricker on Championship Wrestling from Hollywood. I was hoping he'd make another WWE run with Kane or Undertaker for their respective retirement runs.

This is really sad. I'm glad I was able to see him live a few times many years ago. Definitely one of the best managers out there and he added A LOT to the Undertaker's gimmick.

Vestal

Gold Member
"OOOOOOooohhhh Nooooooo"

RIP one of the greatest voices/managers of all time. I put him up there right next to Heenan, Cornet, Heyman and Sherry in regards to managers. Such an Icon.

I was flipping channels Monday night and saw Undertaker and immediately thought of Paul Bearer. He was so entertaining back in the WWF glory days. RIP

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Good lord this hits like a truck...
Oh shit :(

Not too much into wrestling anymore, but he was one of my favourite personas in the early to mid nineties. Used to do impressions of him all the time in school. Legend, RIP.

hertog

paul-bearer_288x288.jpg

Great character, he'll be missed :(

Hawkguy

Neo Member
Damn, what a downer..... One of my first memories as a kid is watching Undertaker fight Giant Gonzales at Wrestlemania. I don't remember too much about the fight, I just remember Paul Bearer scaring the living shit out of me haha. That guy played that character so well, and without him there wouldn't have been an Undertaker, or the streak, or Kane.

Undertaker has always been my favorite wrestler growing up and Paul Bearer and the urn just added to his awesomeness. I was hoping he'd make an appearance at WM or something.

Such a shame. May he rest in peace. :-(

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I actually remember him as Percy Pringle first and foremost. One of the greatest actors to ever enter wrestling. Sad to hear this. RIP Percy.

MC Safety

Paul Bearer was a great manager, right up there with Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, the Grand Wizard, "Classy" Freddie Blassie, and Captain Lou Albano.

It's a shame the WWE has so many stiffs and absolutely no managers.

Sephzilla

Good lord this hits like a truck...

Man, Bret's tweet hits me a ton too.

Growing up I was a huge Undertaker mark, and by association a Paul Bearer mark too. It's sad that he passed. He was really one of the last of two different kinds of things in professional wrestling - he was one of the last truly great and memorable characters in wrestling and he was also one of the last great managers. It's also remarkable that in the business of wrestling, where there's always certain people who don't like other people, he was one of the most universally liked people around. Nobody ever had a bad thing to say about him.

Hope you have as much fun and respect in the next life as you did in this one, Paul.

BFIB

Damn, only 58!? That's way too young.

He was an awesome character. I remember watching some VHS tapes I ordered with some candid interviews from wrestlers, and he was on there.

He wrote out storylines for Undertaker, Kane and Mankind. Full length storylines that would span multiple months, etc. He had a mind for wrestling, no doubt.

Besides that, he was one of the few that had nothing but great things to say about everyone. Not jaded in the least, and just seemed to be happy with everything.

RIP, this is hitting me as hard as losing Macho Man.

:(

turnbuckle

RIP :(

I was watching some wrestling documentaries on Netflix awhile back and it was cool seeing him managing Kamala in one of the independent circuits. Now I'm learning that Kamala had a foot amputated and Paul Bearer has passed away.

One of the greatest guys in the industry. Sad stuff.

This dude was awesome. Such a great character throughout the 90's. R.I.P Paul Bearer. You were a big part of my childhood and you will never be forgotten

What a sad day. I remember growing up watching him and the undertaker and thinking how creepy they were together and being a little scared of them. It isn't until now I realize how truly awesome he was. RIP

Credo

RIP, William Moody. The memories of 90s wrestling are some of my favorites, and Paul Bearer was a big reason why. I was always irritated that I didn't have a Paul Bearer figurine to go alongside the Undertaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom