• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2014 Thread | April 11-13, 2014 | It's Finally Spring

AcridMeat

Banned
First PAX ever for me. Can't believe it's in a week. It was just nearly 6 months ago when I bought the passes lol.

Anyone going to be in Boston on Thursday? I'm coming in early to take in the sights. Anyone want to tag along?
Going to get into Boston Wednesday night, with that exact plan in mind. Staying with a local so figured we'll go sightseeing and check out some breweries as well. Keep in touch we can probably cross paths!

Necrovex

Going to get into Boston Wednesday night, with that exact plan in mind. Staying with a local so figured we'll go sightseeing and check out some breweries as well. Keep in touch we can probably cross paths!

I'll finally get to see your perty face?!

First PAX ever for me. Can't believe it's in a week. It was just nearly 6 months ago when I bought the passes lol.

Anyone going to be in Boston on Thursday? I'm coming in early to take in the sights. Anyone want to tag along?

I'll be flying in, with another Gaffer, Thursday afternoon. I plan to bumble about. I currently have no night plans, so I wouldn't mind seeing a few Gaffers and hitting up the bars.

My bank account is going to weep so much from this weekend.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm pumped that we're so close to PAX East now.

I'll be arriving Thursday afternoon, but most of my time is already tied up with mods/members of the GB community. I'd like to say hi to some GAF people though for sure.

They'll have a booth. I assume they're be there to try, but I highly suggest that you bring disinfectant wipes. Apparently, there was an outbreak of pink-eye at Prime due to the Oculus Rift.

haha well jeez, will keep a pocket of disinfectant wipes

zzzzzzzz bummer, I'll just get the pins and plants vs zombies pack

AcridMeat

Banned
I'll finally get to see your perty face?!
We'll see if it remains perty after what I put myself through.
I'm pumped that we're so close to PAX East now.

I'll be arriving Thursday afternoon, but most of my time is already tied up with mods/members of the GB community. I'd like to say hi to some GAF people though for sure.
Ah cool I forgot you were big on that community as well, I used to be a few years ago then gaf took over. Would be cool to catch up with that crowd as well, I plan on going to the GB meet on Friday as well, we'll see how time is since I want to do the gaf meet and see Anamanaguchi as well.

You're a part of NYC gaf right? I'll be heading up there as well after.
Nothing to see here.

I'll be flying in, with another Gaffer, Thursday afternoon. I plan to bumble about. I currently have no night plans, so I wouldn't mind seeing a few Gaffers and hitting up the bars.

Depending on how the Star Citizen event goes I wouldn't mind hanging out for a bit Thursday night.

I do have to work the next day though

Mahonay

Banned
We'll see if it remains perty after what I put myself through.
Ah cool I forgot you were big on that community as well, I used to be a few years ago then gaf took over. Would be cool to catch up with that crowd as well, I plan on going to the GB meet on Friday as well, we'll see how time is since I want to do the gaf meet and see Anamanaguchi as well.

You're a part of NYC gaf right? I'll be heading up there as well after.
What day is this? Might be interested in going.
Yeah I'm NYC GAF but I've been awful about going to meetups. It's been at least a year since I last went out with those guys.

Friday night is going to be brutal. Harmonix has their event which I got a ticket to, Giant Bomb/Gamespot has their meetup, and the Cards Against Humanity Panel is the same night. Some of it overlaps. I don't know what the fuck I'm gonna do really. My friend is the guy that brings Giant Bomb custom beer every year, so I'll be giving him a hand with that.

Lexxon

It's coming.

Got a Westin room this year, I have no real set plans except for 2-3 panels, and to maybe hang around Tabletop more this year (as in, more than not at all in previous years). Also, Indie Megabooth.

Maybe even check out the PAX Pokemon League, even though I'm pretty awful at the Pokes.

Pumped.

This is the first year I'm looking forward more to the tabletop section than the show floor. Disappointed in no Nintendo and nothing new from Microsoft. However in Tabletop between Mercs: Recon, Galaxy Strike Force, hopefully Plaid Hat's upcoming stuff, there are tons of cool boardgames that should be there in some capacity. That said I always love discovering what the cool indie games will be for the next year.

AcridMeat

Banned
Indie megabooth is always the best place to hang out video game wise. I'm excited to check out more of tabletop as I got into board gaming after Prime last year.

Necrovex

Indie megabooth is always the best place to hang out video game wise. I'm excited to check out more of tabletop as I got into board gaming after Prime last year.

I always neglected that area of the convention. I'll give it a fair shake this year.

AcridMeat

Banned
I always neglected that area of the convention. I'll give it a fair shake this year.
It's always where I get the best insights from developers and discovering games I've never heard of that are simply awesome.

Plus this show will have Feep's game and Hotline Miami 2. And more Galak-Z to play/watch up close. I might buy a ps4 or vita for that game.

Mahonay

Banned

It's always where I get the best insights from developers and discovering games I've never heard of that are simply awesome.

Plus this show will have Feep's game and Hotline Miami 2. And more Galak-Z to play/watch up close. I might buy a ps4 or vita for that game.
The indie megabooth is definitely an awesome experience for talking directly to developers about how their game works and why they've designed it the way they have. One of my favorite parts of the show.

On the downside, last year that section was insanely crowded. It was hard to really get to anything. I remember having to wait until the latter hours of the show to get in on anything. It's a very tightly packed space with a lot of booths right next to each other, when it's busy it's just kind of a mass of people where you can't tell where lines start.

border

What advice do you veterans have for newbies?

I am a little saddened to hear that apparently PAX is like San Diego Comic Con, where you have to line up hours prior to every panel. I'm still excited to be attending, though!

I'll be there! And in costume :3 I'm really excited <3 Not sure if I'll have time for a meetup, but I'll be walking around as Rozalin from Disgaea on Saturday probably.

Jhoan

Yeah I'm NYC GAF but I've been awful about going to meetups. It's been at least a year since I last went out with those guys.

Friday night is going to be brutal. Harmonix has their event which I got a ticket to, Giant Bomb/Gamespot has their meetup, and the Cards Against Humanity Panel is the same night. Some of it overlaps. I don't know what the fuck I'm gonna do really. My friend is the guy that brings Giant Bomb custom beer every year, so I'll be giving him a hand with that.

Funny because I contributed to your gaming marathon stream and left you a note. ;)

But really there hasn't been a meet up this year because my finances have been getting hammered by art classes. Hopefully in May the dust settles and I'll be in a good position to organize a meet up then since I'll be graduating. Good to see that you're involved with Giant Bomb stuff. Even more surprising that at least 1/3rd of NYC GAF will be at PAX East.

Feep

Banned
On the downside, last year that section was insanely crowded. It was hard to really get to anything. I remember having to wait until the latter hours of the show to get in on anything. It's a very tightly packed space with a lot of booths right next to each other, when it's busy it's just kind of a mass of people where you can't tell where lines start.
This is a severe problem and one I'm extremely worried about. Not only that, but one of the Boston Convention Center's "EMERGENCY FIRE ESCAPE LANE KEEP CLEAR" lanes runs right through the Megabooth (and touches my booth specifically), so the staff might be up on that, too.

I'll try to keep things moving as fast as I can, but I could only afford one giant TARDIS-lookin' soundproof booth, so it's gonna be rough. = (

Necrovex

I'm on a few panels if anyone wants to drop by:

One for RPG fans: http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/the-golden-age-of-rpgs

One for anyone who wants to hang out with Kotaku and ask us questions about how much game journalism sucks: http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/kotakus-incredible-fantastic-panel-extravaganza-xviii-2

And one about consumer rights and SimCity: http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/pa...simcity-and-other-games-that-ruined-your-life

I planned on going to the RPG panel, but those other two both seem interesting, particularly the last panel.

I am a little saddened to hear that apparently PAX is like San Diego Comic Con, where you have to line up hours prior to every panel. I'm still excited to be attending, though!

It depends on the panel, most you can safely get in getting there an hour early. Some you don't have ton line up at all for. Things like Giantbomb or Gearbox you need to get their super early for though.

AcridMeat

Banned
Haha the megabooth was a madhouse at Prime. I was hoping it would be a bit different at East.

Only the really popular panels require a 2+ hour wait. Basically don't bother waiting unless you're dying to see something. And as forgeforsaken said, a lot of panels don't require a long wait. Another tip I'd say is don't bother waiting in the long lines to play a game, you can venture off and discover many other things in the amount of time it takes to wait and play a 5-10 minute demo. If you do decide to wait in a long line, bring a handheld or book. Last year was my first time having a 3DS at the show and my first real experience streetpassing, was pretty addicting!

Be open and outgoing. Everyone is a friend, I've met some amazing people from the convention over the years. You all have something in common and the atmosphere is great at enabling friendly discussion.

Explore the city, especially for food. In Seattle there's some great eats so close to the show and yet I still see ridiculous lines for the crappy stuff in the food court. This will be my first East so I'm not sure about the location but still worth venturing out. Actually really excited to discover Boston!

Take some breaks if you need to. It can be quite overwhelming, and if you're indulging in the after parties and other meet ups outside of the show, you'll be exhausted very quickly. That's why I actually like the long lines sometimes. It's nice to relax and talk and play games for a while. The free play areas are also a good way to take a break. Last year at Prime we had a huge game of Cards Against Humanity with ~12 gaffers, was fantastic.

Bring some hand sanitizer, especially if you're meeting a lot of folks. I've only been sick once after the show, but it was the swine flu breakout year. Not fun.

Explore the show. There's so much there you're likely to overlook something that is awesome while planning. Talking to people about what they've liked at the show so far is a great way to discover things too.

That's all I can think of for now.

5amshift

Banned
I'll be there as I am every year but this time with exhibitor badge in hand! I don't drink, but I still may make it out to see everyone. Going to the Harmonix thin on Sunday and the Wolfenstein party on Saturday along with meeting up with some PlayStation people in between that.

Wouldn't mind hanging, since I'll be in the city anyway to grab my badge.

Jhoan

As a 3 year veteran of working at New York Comic Con, I can definitely say to stay hydrated, have good hygiene (read: wear deodorant, cologne, shower, wear loose fitting shirts, comfortable shoes, etc.), don't go out of your way for a panel that has a massive queue, carry snacks on you, don't ever buy food at the con, and bring your 3DS or some kind of portable entertainment. Also be sociable while waiting in line or otherwise to make the waiting more comfortable. Also be respectful to Enforcers; when I was working at NYCC, I got a hard time from some people since we had to keep the areas clear of foot traffic (fire safety hazard is the reason we'll always cite) as we try to make the experience as smooth as possible for everyone else.

Pau

If I can get a Saturday pass for my boyfriend, I will be there! First PAX so I'm excited. :3

Tonguer

Nice to see the OT. I was really, really looking forward to going to PAX East again this year, and I'm not going to be able to now. I have 3 sets of individual Fri/Sat/Sun passes that now need loving owners to go enjoy the show. PM me if interested.

Everyone going, hoping it's a blast and hoping there's some great stuff on the floor and some surprise reveals and such. I'll be watching the boards for news and pics!

Tawpgun

No Bungie or 343 Industries. :(

Oculus and the Indie Megabooth. :)

Yeah I know :(

The lineup looks like its gonna be a disappointing PAX East for me. I'll go to the Titanfall panel and check out some of the indie and other interesting things.

But eh, doesn't look like any bombshells or any playable demos of upcoming games I want.

ATF487

Don't think I'll be going unless I can get a badge on short notice, but I might be down for a meetup. I live near Harvard/Porter so if anyone wants to roam around that area I could show you around.

Also I can get to the Garden in like 20 minutes, someone give me Bruins tickets plz

AcridMeat

Banned
You should come along, we can talk about music d(-_-)b
And how stupid it is I can't be a ghostsperm anymore

edit: I may have confused you with other plug.dj gaffers d(-_-)b

Pau

Nice to see the OT. I was really, really looking forward to going to PAX East again this year, and I'm not going to be able to now. I have 3 sets of individual Fri/Sat/Sun passes that now need loving owners to go enjoy the show. PM me if interested.

Everyone going, hoping it's a blast and hoping there's some great stuff on the floor and some surprise reveals and such. I'll be watching the boards for news and pics!
PM sent! :)

I went last year and it was really fun. I wanted to go this year but my friends bailed on me. I hope you sell your tickets. I'm sure there will go fast in this thread!

ATF487

You should come along, we can talk about music d(-_-)b
And how stupid it is I can't be a ghostsperm anymore

edit: I may have confused you with other plug.dj gaffers d(-_-)b

if you know me as
dlamb
then you might have seen me pluggin' on atease :O

ultros > ghostsperm

Grakl

going with my boyfriend (also a gaffer!) like last year, can't wait -- pax is half magic, half swag, and half demos

I can't get into places that ID 21+, 2bad

SKINNER!

Banned
Packed most of my stuff yesterday. A little eager I know since I fly into Boston on Wednesday but I'm just far too excited :D Hoping the weather will be better than here.

Also, AcridMeat and I might be meeting up on Wednesday and/or Thursday eve and I'll be sightseeing on Thursday morning/afternoon. If anyone wants to join in then give us a shout.

Mahonay

Banned
Funny because I contributed to your gaming marathon stream and left you a note. ;)

But really there hasn't been a meet up this year because my finances have been getting hammered by art classes. Hopefully in May the dust settles and I'll be in a good position to organize a meet up then since I'll be graduating. Good to see that you're involved with Giant Bomb stuff. Even more surprising that at least 1/3rd of NYC GAF will be at PAX East.
Hah I remember you donating! My friend and I ended up being the 2nd highest Extra Life contributors for the GB community team. The support was awesome.

Yeah lots of GAF at PAX East this year. It will be good to see some faces.

Mahonay

Banned
This is a severe problem and one I'm extremely worried about. Not only that, but one of the Boston Convention Center's "EMERGENCY FIRE ESCAPE LANE KEEP CLEAR" lanes runs right through the Megabooth (and touches my booth specifically), so the staff might be up on that, too.

I'll try to keep things moving as fast as I can, but I could only afford one giant TARDIS-lookin' soundproof booth, so it's gonna be rough. = (
Good luck! PM me what your booth is if you don't feel like posting it here. I'd love to see what you're showing.

Mahonay

Banned
Get HYPE.

MAHONAY GET HYYYYYYYYYPE!

ijGCkmI4vuaM1.gif

Thanks!!

Top Bottom