• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2014 Thread | April 11-13, 2014 | It's Finally Spring

Kilrathi

The college is taking the teams vr museum to pax east(becker college). I was able to being the whole project over to unreal engine 4 in time for pax.
Screenshot 2d UE4
UE4_VRMS.jpg

KI tourney giving away a lot of good stuff.

PAX East attendees can compete in a Killer Instinct tournament featuring the popular one-on-one fighting game exclusive to the Xbox One. Participants will be able to register on-site to play on a first-come, first-served basis. Daily prizes include VIP tickets to MLG Anaheim in June 2014, Ear Force® XO

Seven Xbox One headsets with Killer Instinct plates, and Killer Instinct FightSticks, limited edition copies of the game, and autographed fan books.

The tournaments will be played on Xbox One, and players will use Turtle Beach's new XO SEVEN (U.S. MSRP $159.95) headset, which is officially licensed by Microsoft for the Xbox One.

Definitely going to get there early and sign up, winning a headset or fightstick would be cool :p

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tu...s-at-pax-east-2014-04-03?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Just hit me that this thing kicks off properly in a week...I'm starting to get jazzed. It's always fun on Friday when the crowd out of S. Station looks COMPLETELY different than the usual business-wear.

Lombax

Banned
Just hit me that this thing kicks off properly in a week...I'm starting to get jazzed. It's always fun on Friday when the crowd out of S. Station looks COMPLETELY different than the usual business-wear.

HAHA aye, just happy I am riding my bike to Alewife Friday morning.

I'll be there around 7 on Thursday. Looking forward to my first time at PAX. Then again, I attend Comic Con almost every year so I feel like I'm ready for what it has to offer.

Feep

Banned
Good luck! PM me what your booth is if you don't feel like posting it here. I'd love to see what you're showing.
Oh, we're right in the middle of the Indie Megabooth. Booth 581, technically, but just find the Indie Megabooth and then look for a bizarre phonebooth thing.

PAX ‏@Official_PAX 5m
.@xPoeTiCxMLG @barrymac55 @bnizz82 Yes, backpacks are allowed, but the BCEC will be conducting bag checks at entrance as a heads up.

PAX ‏@Official_PAX 1m
For those wondering, yes, the bag checks are for safety and security. The building is requiring it, as they have the right to do so.

Sanjuro

Good.

Any recommendations for people who have attended on what to do with backpack/luggage for Sunday? Every year I have parked my car and stored the items after checking out of the hotel on Sunday. Trying to think of alternative scenarios, although, I do like being able to just get in and head out of the area.

border

Is The Raid 2 going to be playing in Boston?

I would be more than interested in seeing it with some folks from GAF.

Anyone know how long of a walk from North Station?
I live 15 minutes out of Boston and was thinking of taking the T and walk if it's a nice day. Drove in last time, got lost as fuck and paid the same toll twice.

5amshift

Banned
Bag checks? Uh oh. People be prepared to wait in some long lines for that if there only a couple guys checking. At Anime Boston last weekend, bag check line was about 10 minutes long with about 50 people in line.

Sanjuro

Bag checks? Uh oh. People be prepared to wait in some long lines for that if there only a couple guys checking. At Anime Boston last weekend, bag check line was about 10 minutes long with about 50 people in line.

I've never brought in a bag. I grab one of those sacks or bags every day that they give out if I need it. That's about it.

I'm glad they are doing checks this year.

Edwardo

Good.

Any recommendations for people who have attended on what to do with backpack/luggage for Sunday? Every year I have parked my car and stored the items after checking out of the hotel on Sunday. Trying to think of alternative scenarios, although, I do like being able to just get in and head out of the area.

The hotel might be able to hold your luggage after you check out. I've done it at a bunch of hotels in other cities. They'd tag it and put it in a storage room in the lobby.

border

Anyone know how long of a walk from North Station?
I live 15 minutes out of Boston and was thinking of taking the T and walk if it's a nice day. Drove in last time, got lost as fuck and paid the same toll twice.

Why wouldn't you go all the way to South Station?

Sanjuro

The hotel might be able to hold your luggage after you check out. I've done it at a bunch of hotels in other cities. They'd tag it and put it in a storage room in the lobby.

Worth a shot. I figured because of the volume of people attending and people checking out that day, they wouldn't. Hotel staff have been largely dicks during my visits, understandably so though.

Edwardo

Worth a shot. I figured because of the volume of people attending and people checking out that day, they wouldn't. Hotel staff have been largely dicks during my visits, understandably so though.

Ya it could go either way. I was at a convention in Charlotte once and the hotel allowed it because of the convention. I dunno tho, people down south seem to be friendlier and more hospitable haha.

Sanjuro

Ya it could go either way. I was at a convention in Charlotte once and the hotel allowed it because of the convention. I dunno tho, people down south seem to be friendlier and more hospitable haha.

Yeah. My biggest challenge with them (and can be noted for other people) was bringing in alcohol. They won't search your bags or anything for it, but if you have a case of beer in hand, they will take it.

I tried to get it back, no dice. Just a foolish argument with a manager who obviously was tired of the type of crowd attending.

Few other small things, but that was the big one for me.

DTJAAAAM

Yep, never had any issues checking bags at my PAX East hotels. There's always the paid bag check in the convention center, too.

Lexxon

Last year I had a hotel for Fri and Sat night (same as this year). They held my luggage Friday Morning when I got in before I could check-in, and Sunday late morning after checking out until I was done at the convention for the day. This was at Seaport. Free, no problems. Westin this year, not expecting any issues!

h16b22

Neo Member
Would any help me out one friend bailed I need a place to stay from 10th thru early morning 14 will help pitch in, don't drink,deff no smoke MBA grad student played soccer in college just want to enjoy pax without paying up the ass on hotels in boston.

Please must be a good person out there haha

Mahonay

Banned
Oh, we're right in the middle of the Indie Megabooth. Booth 581, technically, but just find the Indie Megabooth and then look for a bizarre phonebooth thing.
I'll be coming by to give a looksy, yelling "Which one of ya'll is Feep!?".

i always miss that, i would have went since i did nothing last weekend, smh

welp just gonna take a bottle of water and thats it, the thirst i get.....literally in there haha

Mully

Bag check? I don't remember this last year. I guess it's a good security precaution, but would I still be able to bring in a protein bar or a thermos?

Bag check? I don't remember this last year. I guess it's a good security precaution, but would I still be able to bring in a protein bar or a thermos?

The bag checks are new because of the Marathon bombings. Ideally, they're only going to be looking for weapons; food should be fine

koolaroo

Ughh the bag check is going to slow things so so much. Anime boston's was pretty dreadful and Pax has about 5 times more people going. God I love paranoia I don't see any reason why someone would be more likely to bring a gun into the con this year more than any other year. I'm willing to risk being shot for the convenience of no bag check.

border

Ughh the bag check is going to slow things so so much. Anime boston's was pretty dreadful and Pax has about 5 times more people going. God I love paranoia I don't see any reason why someone would be more likely to bring a gun into the con this year more than any other year. I'm willing to risk being shot for the convenience of no bag check.

After the Boston Marathon last year, I don't see how you can blame them. I imagine the bag check will be more like a quick poke-around in every backpack and not a full TSA-style search.

Sanjuro

I rather them take simple and painless safety precautions and reduce the risk of some neckbeard trying to get on the cover of Rolling Stone.

koolaroo

After the Boston Marathon last year, I don't see how you can blame them. I imagine the bag check will be more like a quick poke-around in every backpack and not a full TSA-style search.

Yeah it's a quick poke around (which means even if someone had small weapon it might not be found anyway) but it will still add a hour or two wait. I really don't see what the marathon has to do with anything. Has the bombing rate gone up since then? The world has always been a dangerous place and I don't see why the Marathon should have changed anything.

Sanjuro

Yeah it's a quick poke around (which means even if someone had small weapon it might not be found anyway) but it will still add a hour or two wait. I really don't see what the marathon has to do with anything. Has the bombing rate gone up since then? The world has always been a dangerous place and I don't see why the Marathon should have changed anything.

Yeah, you don't sound creepy at all.

Quadratic

I'm coming Tuesday to sight see in Boston until PAX starts. If anyone wants to join me on the Sam Adams beer tour shoot me a PM.

...really?

Lombax

Banned

on the up side at least they are allowing bags into PAX....the marathon this year is in total lockdown mode.

Really what? I'm fine with disagreement but at least explain your argument.

From last PAX East where there was no bag check, to this PAX East, where there is a bag check, there has been a bombing case that everyone knows about - the Boston Marathon bombing. The 'bombing rate' has gone up between the last time this event has happened. Since the directive is from the BCEC, you'd have to think they've been implementing bag checks at every event they've hosted since the bombing.

This isn't even PAX-specific. The city's been more cautious since then; people were already talking about bag checks at Anime Boston this year at a different convention center. The Boston Marathon will be on virtual lockdown, from the route to what the runners themselves can bring to Hopkinton.

That, at a couple days after PAX is the anniversary of the incident, and a week after that is the Boston Marathon itself. Security will be at a high, especially at large events/gatherings such as PAX.

Top Bottom