• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming has won - True HD graphics for the masses

I just upgraded my graphics card from my trusty 8800GT to a slick GTX 560 Ti. And I'm literally having an eyegasm as I'm trying many of my games in DX11/10, 4XAA+, 50+fps: Metro, Assassins Creed, Crysis 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. COP, StarCraft 2, Just Cause 2, Company of Heroes. Holy shit WOW! just wow!

And to think that by years end a graphics card with the power of the GTX 560 Ti will probably be available for less than $200. And then to top it off this fact will combine with the awesome Steam holiday sales. I just can't contain my excitement at what this upgrade has shown me. This is the year the pc reclaims back its throne!

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
captain-obvious.jpg

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Lucentto said:
If only good graphics made games fun.

They sure help.

Edit: OP, how long did you have your 8800? I replaced mine a long time ago, but I had it on another PC. It just randomly overheated and died one day. Luckily, I just swapped my old 5570 with a 6950 so I had another spare.

I'm going to miss that little man.

Lucentto said:
Shots fired!

Congrats on the new rig! I'm super jealous of anyone that can run games above the lowest settings, though.
Getting in on a huge number of sales all over the place will definitely give you plenty of things to try out.

Kyoufu

I think League of Legends is more fun than all those games combined and you can run it off a calculator.

saunderez

Remember to make a new thread the first time you buy a game and can't get it to run on your PC. I'll take console level graphics over troubleshooting a game I just purchased any day.

2San

Most of us where already running the 6950 with 6970 bios though. PC isn't reclaiming anything while most developers still hate pc gamers with a passion and don't bother porting things properly.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yes, yes, it's nice. I can't help but chuckle when I hear (or read) people downplaying the significance of a high resolution and smooth framerate. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those people probably haven't experienced it for themselves. Anyways, it's nice to not have to settle for mediocrity.

Pai Pai Master said:
PC gaming: Bringing you HD Remakes of current-gen console games.

Which is exactly what the promise of the next generation of consoles is. Pc gaming already has that and more now.

I don't even have a proper gaming PC, but I got an iMac a couple of months ago now, and I honestly don't know how I'm going to go back to consoles. This is coming from someone who had spent his entire gaming life on consoles.

No_Style

What is up with PC gamers and these types of celebratory threads?

Also, great games like Jamestown don't need no stinkin' high end PC. :p

Stahsky

Snuggler said:
Yes, yes, it's nice. I can't help but chuckle when I hear (or read) people downplaying the significance of a high resolution and smooth framerate. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those people probably haven't experienced it for themselves. Anyways, it's nice to not have to deal with mediocrity anymore.

Spot on, snuggles.

NIN90

Snuggler said:
Yes, yes, it's nice. I can't help but chuckle when I hear (or read) people downplaying the significance of a high resolution and smooth framerate. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those people probably haven't experienced it for themselves. Anyways, it's nice to not have to settle for mediocrity anymore.

bubububut you are probably constantly troubleshooting your PC.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lucentto said:
The eye candy and spectacle really help action heavy titles come alive. Same as in the movie theater. Crysis with the particle mod can even give Bay a run for his money.

If you have the horsepower you can enjoy all the fireworks without sacrificing framerates.

StuBurns

Banned
Snuggler said:
Yes, yes, it's nice. I can't help but chuckle when I hear (or read) people downplaying the significance of a high resolution and smooth framerate. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those people probably haven't experienced it for themselves. Anyways, it's nice to not have to settle for mediocrity.
So you don't play any console games now? What about the exclusives?

2San

Snuggler said:
Honestly high resolution isn't that important. The only thing that has bugged me after getting used to pc gaming is the framerates. 30fps just annoys the hell out of me. Have to live with 30fps since some of my favorite games run at 30 fps. :(
StuBurns said:
So you don't play any console games now? What about the exclusives?
Some people just dislike SMG, MK, Gears, GoW, Bayo, Vanq, Tekken, FIFA(proper), uncharted, DS, etc. Yeah PC 60fps wooohoo, w/e.

Lucentto said:

Better frame rate certainly does. Not to mention that yeah it helps immersion a lot to not see jaggies everywhere which I would say makes them better.

So much butthurt trolling in here.

Durr who cares about graphics, then digital foundry posts one of their inane ps vs xbox comparisons and the fanboy wars begin.
As soon as ps4 is announced you will suddenly care about graphics.

If all you cared about was gameplay you'd own a ps2 not a 360 or ps3.

Lucentto

Banned
I guess I am one of the unfortunate few who doesn't give a damn about graphics. Though that doesn't change that Stalker COP is still one of the best shooters I have ever played, graphics aside.

Salsa

Im actually upgrading to a gtx560ti (and i5 2500k) this month, was gonna go higher but i went unemployed, woops.

Snuggler said:

Yeah, i agree, but performance reigns supreme.

My main monitor (i use two) is a 26inch HDTV, max resolution is 1360x768. I have no trouble playing on 720p knowing that im getting way better performance that if it was a 1080p monitor.

Of course id take the higher resolution if i had the money atm, maybe a 24' monitor, but say.. BF3 is right around the corner, and by the time it comes out, im pretty sure im gonna be able to pull off max settings with the gtx560 and i5 CONSIDERING im playing on 1360x768, that wouldnt be the case if i was on 1080p resolution, in wich case id have to upgrade all my hardware all over again.

A bigger resolution is nice, but the best thing about PC gaming (as far as performance/visuals go, besides the other many benefits) are 60 frames per second.

Stahsky

2San said:
Honestly high resolution isn't that important. The only thing that has bugged me after getting used to pc gaming is the framerates. 30fps just annoys the hell out of me. Have to live with 30fps since some of my favorite games run at 30 fps. :(

Y-You take that back!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Snuggler said:

You'd have to be crazy to argue that modern consoles can hold up graphically against modern PCs. I certainly spent a while just loading up high-end games on my new PC when I got it several months ago to see the differences. Arkham Asylum in particular was a pretty big leap. Still, after the New PC glow wore off, I went right back to playing 90% of multiplat releases on consoles. Not worth the headache the majority of the time.

I used to be pretty anti-PC gaming but I got an imac and installed windows 7 with bootcamp and have been blown away. I can run just about everything in max settings, play with a 360 controller, and get games for like $5!

Gravijah

I really should get a graphics card, but I'm afraid my cooling wouldn't be adequate... and then I probably need a new PSU. :/ Stupid off the shelf computer.

2San

SneakyStephan said:
So much butthurt trolling in here.

Durr who cares about graphics, then digital foundry posts one of their inane ps vs xbox comparisons and the fanboy wars begin.
As soon as ps4 is announced you will suddenly care about graphics.

If all you cared about was gameplay you'd own a ps2 not a 360 or ps3.
Who doesn't own a PS2 at some point and hasn't experienced the library? At least as far as console gamers go.
Stahsky said:
Y-You take that back!
Never!

jgminto

I'm thinking I will build my first rig soon. My PC is so old and broken down it can't play a youtube video above 360p without slowing down.

NIN90 said:
bubububut you are probably constantly troubleshooting your PC.

I can definitely say that the 'constant troubleshooting' thing is a fallacy, and one that I used to think before I got into PC gaming. I am also completely PC illiterate (I got an iMac for a reason lol), but I have had no issues whatsoever. In fact, I'm slowing being exposed to the mod community, and despite my initial reservations, it's actually quite easy (most of the time) and fun to modify a game to run/look/perform better. The PC gaming issues notion is completely overblown, and I don't know why I perpetuated such nonsense...

Stahsky

Gravijah said:
I really should get a graphics card, but I'm afraid my cooling wouldn't be adequate... and then I probably need a new PSU. :/ Stupid off the shelf computer.

My CPU has an overheating problem (The model itself) but I got around that by undervolting. I've been able to keep my GPU temps pretty damn low with fan adjustments too.

Top Bottom