• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming has won - True HD graphics for the masses

CozMick

Banned
During my "PC gaming era" I did nothing but watch my framerate.

I ain't never going back to that dark, evil place!

Salsa

PC is a better gaming experience than consoles, it can recreate everything that consoles do (comfy couch, controllers, etc) and much, much more. There's a sad lacking of offline same-screen multiplayer.. wich isnt really a big thing on consoles anymore, so scratch that.

PC hardware is more expensive - Software is cheaper

Console hardware is cheaper - Software is more expensive

These are absolute facts, you can argue all you want, but starting from these.

Reuenthal

Banned
I am using a 9800gtx and I am satisfied by how everything looks. I always use 1920 x 1080 and on some games I am using medium instead of high while in most of them I usually max them up.

It could do better but I the current performance+graphics I am getting is sufficient to make me satisfied. Even in something like the Witcher 2 which I play in medium and the resolution I described above I get arround 30 or a bit bellow fps.

Still I probably won't use Crysis in DX11 max everything mode. I feel some enticement but not enough incentive to upgrade.

Honestly I am very satisfied by how good my E8400 and 9800gtx computer holds up with modern games. And I feel that PC gaming offers very good performance, graphics and prices and sustainability for years to come. And if one wants to pay more they can get the best.

Derrick01

Banned
Lucentto said:
If only good graphics made games fun.

EZJHI.jpg

They do.

-viper-

Banned
SalsaShark said:
PC is a better gaming experience than consoles, it can recreate everything that consoles do (comfy couch, controllers, etc) and much, much more. There's a sad lacking of offline multiplayer.. wich isnt really a big thing on consoles anymore, so scratch that.

Steam UK DD prices same as PS3 retail prices.

Pricing is pretty bad. Also, Direct2Drive GTA4 = £19.99 = WTF. It's worth £5 on the PS3!

StuBurns

Banned
SalsaShark said:
PC is a better gaming experience than consoles, it can recreate everything that consoles do (comfy couch, controllers, etc) and much, much more. There's a sad lacking of offline multiplayer.. wich isnt really a big thing on consoles anymore, so scratch that.

Software gets cheaper on PC, and it is week one, but I don't believe it is consistently. In the UK we get huge console price crashes on lots of games just a couple of weeks after launch.

Certainly if you're willing to wait for sales like the current one there is no question, but I don't believe it is uniformly cheaper.

There's also the used game market which pushes prices lower. There's trade ins and rentals too.

hey guys

i have this crazy idea

how about we try

enjoying video games

regardless of the platform they are on

shit I dunno some of us can

get this

afford MULTIPLE platforms

and enjoy the video games that are on them

i mean I dunno think about it

Gravijah

SalsaShark said:
PC is a better gaming experience than consoles, it can recreate everything that consoles do (comfy couch, controllers, etc) and much, much more. There's a sad lacking of offline same-screen multiplayer.. wich isnt really a big thing on consoles anymore, so scratch that.

The most important thing is... there is no GameFly on the PC. :( That's how I do most of my gaming these days.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Well, things certainly went to shit real fast.

Congrats on the 560, OP. Nice card.

2San

SalsaShark said:
PC is a better gaming experience than consoles,
A platform that doesn't have SMG, MK, Gears, GoW, Bayo, Vanq, Tekken, FIFA(proper), uncharted, DS, etc. Can never be the "better" gaming experience.

Salsa

-viper- said:
Steam UK DD prices same as PS3 retail prices.

Pricing is pretty bad. Also, Direct2Drive GTA4 = £19.99 = WTF. It's worth £5 on the PS3!

StuBurns said:
Software gets cheaper on PC, and it is week one, but I don't believe it is consistently. In the UK we get huge console price crashes on lots of games just a couple of weeks after launch.

Certainly if you're willing to wait for sales like the current one there is no question, but I don't believe it is uniformly cheaper.

Well sure, it depends.

It is abnormal to see a PC game going for $60 bucks at launch though, and its frowned upon (mostly EA and Activision do it), while its a common thing with Consoles.

2San said:
A platform that doesn't have SMG, MK, Gears, GoW, Bayo, Vanq, Tekken, FIFA(proper), uncharted, DS, etc. Can never be the "better" gaming experience.

why are you throwing your personal opinion against my facts? i was talking in a general position, not about software itself, but about what that software can do.

BigJiantRobut said:
hey guys

i have this crazy idea

how about we try

enjoying video games

get this

What is wrong with you that's a terrible idea.

StuBurns said:

All pc games (all of them) launch at 30-50 dollars, 40 being the median, a few exceptions at 50.

All console games launch at 50-69 dollars (69 euros here even!) , 60 being the median.

But seriously, make a new thread for this.

hutna

When people try to assert some imagined superiority of one entertainment platform over another nobody wins.

Good graphics can directly affect gameplay and make games more fun.

What would Crysis' gameplay be if it weren't for the dense and realistic jungle that PC hardware finally facilitated? What would many horror games be like without the accurate casting of light from a flashlight which wasn't possible years ago?

Derrick01

Banned
2San said:

I can live without 8/10 of those so it's a better experience for me.

scitek

thetrin said:
I love PC gaming, but this is a dumb counter-argument. It's not like a PC doesn't require a seat, speakers and a monitor.

PC gaming IS more money. That's a fact of life. It's also better.

My PC was $250, and my PC was $800. My TV was $1200. I paid more, so I get more. That's how this shit works, son.

The PS3 at launch was just as expensive as my PC. 5 years into a console generation, yeah, the point of entry is cheaper, but PC games are on sale all the time for way less than their console counterparts, so what you save there pretty much makes up for the difference.

mxgt

Banned
2San said:
I don't care about any of those games.

What now?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BigJiantRobut said:
hey guys

i have this crazy idea

how about we try

enjoying video games

get this

I enjoy games on other platforms.

I would enjoy them more at a real HD resolution and 60+ fps.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I forget the exact term, but the title of this thread perfectly describes the moment when a buyer is using certain--oftentimes exaggerating--phrase/words to ease his/her psyche after buying something.

Trying to 'justify' his/her purchase, so to speak.

StuBurns said:

With multiplatform releases at least, the PC version crashes just the same and even deeper. Both are still quite cheap relative to release day however.

Congratulations on your PC! PC gaming is pretty awesome. Pro-tip: Mod as many games a you can, as much as you can!

Personally, I am in the boat that graphics doesn't make a good game, but I do like nice graphics as eye candy, and I will turn them up, even sacrificing frame rate to a point. But if a game needs good graphics in order to be immersive, the game's probably doing something wrong IMO. Plus, not all games are meant to be immersive.

BigJiantRobut said:
hey guys

i have this crazy idea

how about we try

enjoying video games

get this

I love that modern TVs have so many slots that I can have my PC, 360, PS3, Wii, N64, PS2 and Dreamcast ALL plugged in to it and I can use them at any point in time.

A bit off-topic, but I was just thinking the other day how awesome that is. No changing cables for different consoles, and if I want to use my PC on my TV I just have to go to display options and duplicate my monitor or make my TV my display.

Modern technology <3

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't know why everyone can't just buy EVERYTHING, so we don't have to fucking argue about this shit anymore.

I think these threads would go a lot better if people would drop the arrogance.

We are all gamers. HD, Sub HD, Mouse& KB, Pad...etc

It all seems so stupid to me how much fanboy bs gets thrown back and fourth between both sides.

How bout respect a person for enjoying gaming and not chastising them cause they don't feel the need to play it in what you consider the optimal gaming experience.

To each it's own.

BlackDove

Banned
Who gives a flying fuck about the price. As if the price can magically render the dramatic increase in quality point moot.

The only people running the "BUT MINE IS CHEEEEEEEEAPEEEEEEEER" argument are like, people who have an allowance.

My setup cost me $2000. Computer, 1080@60hz Projector displaying 100", 5.1 surround system, couch, the works.

Worth every penny.

I wouldn't trade it for a console experience if you paid me back the $2000, and then threw in the $250 for a console too.

2San

SalsaShark said:
why are you throwing your personal opinion against my facts? i was talking in a general position, not about software itself, but about what that software can do.
You can argue how things are technically better. In the end of the day people prefer certain games and will happily take limitations and just enjoy the game. Everyone fucking knows that the pc is better from a technical standpoint. It's about quality of the games in the end. But fine take solace in the fact that the PC is technically better. Which is irrelevant for all practical purposes.
mxgt said:
I don't care about any of those games.

What now?
Keep on pc gaming and accept that you just because PC gaming is better for you, doesn't mean that's the case for anyone else.

Salsa

Also, im not trying to pull of the whole master race crap, although like i said i do believe it to be the better experience.

I own a PC, a Wii, a DS and a PSP.

They all give me pretty different experiences, and that's what i was looking for with my game hardware purchases: variety.

Now, buying a PS360 that offers some exclusives, worst performance and visuals and in one of the cases makes me pay for online support i get for free on my PC?

nope, id rather upgrade.

If i had extra money? sure, i dont have anything against consoles and ive been using them all my life, i love them, i love many of the exclusives, and im sure i'd have a lot of fun with Uncharted and other Sony exclusives.

Its about knowing where your money is going to be better spent, for me that means a PC upgrade over a PS3.

2San said:
You can argue how things are technically better. In the end of the day people prefer certain games and will happily take limitations and just enjoy the game. Everyone fucking knows that the pc is better from a technical standpoint. It's about quality of the games in the end. But fine take solace in the fact that the PC is technically better. Which is irrelevant for all practical purposes.

Im not trying to argue with you, you even agree with me. Of course i was talking from a technical standpoint, i was making sure that there is no doubt that the PC is a better experience. What everyone decides to own is up to the prefered Software. Its totally understandable that someone buys a PS3 and a 360 over a PC because they really want to play Twisted Metal and Gears.

No one's denying that, i was just stating facts because there's lots of "but my comfy couch! but my gamepad!" on these threads.

mxgt

Banned
The biggest plus for PC gaming besides performance imo is modding.

Can make stale games so fresh again. A good example is the Galactic Warfare mod for COD4 which is just amazing work.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I love that modern TVs have so many slots that I can have my PC, 360, PS3, Wii, N64, PS2 and Dreamcast ALL plugged in to it and I can use them at any point in time.

A bit off-topic, but I was just thinking the other day how awesome that is. No changing cables for different consoles, and if I want to use my PC on my TV I just have to go to display options and duplicate my monitor or make my TV my display.

Modern technology <3
The only thing I hate about HDTVs, and it's a big hate, is the input lag that comes with most of them. I hope for a future where we can go back to universally lagless displays!

Reuenthal

Banned
Honestly I see PC gaming as offering the best value for money and it isn't necessarily expensive especially if you don't buy everything again, each new each time you make an upgrade and use some older parts. Especially if you invest in medium power cards, they are powerful enough to offer a great combination of graphics, performance and cheap price.

And considering that games on the PC can turn up to be cheaper often than console ones, you do get a good value for money. Not to mention that a lot of people will have a PC no matter what. Then you just add the increased cost of instead getting a somewhat capable PC for gaming or upgrading some parts of the PC you already have.

JudgeN

SalsaShark said:

Its all depending on how long you wait to buy your games, alot of console games will have amazon credits while there retail PC version won't for some reason. If your willing to wait a year or 2 after release you can find consoles games at $9.99 as well. Its not as simple as you make it sound.

how about we all

buy the systems we like for the reasons we care about

and play video games on them

video games

on whatever platform we like

and let other people do the same

and then we can go in the cupboard and travel to narnia

Top Bottom