• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming has won - True HD graphics for the masses

Khal_B

Snuggler said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those people probably haven't experienced it for themselves.

I think that this is the problem too. People just haven't experienced playing games in 1080p with a buttery smooth frame-rate (along with all the other available eye candy).

Then there's ignorance. The main complaint I get when I try to introduce people into PC gaming is that "it's too expensive and they can't afford to upgrade every year".

Anyway congrats Lasthope106. Like you said, your new rig coupled with Steam sales = winning.

Snuggler said:
Yes, yes, it's nice. I can't help but chuckle when I hear (or read) people downplaying the significance of a high resolution and smooth framerate. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those people probably haven't experienced it for themselves. Anyways, it's nice to not have to settle for mediocrity.
I guess I'm just insane, and I'm okay with that, but I used the option to lock the framerate at 30FPS in RE5 during my recent playthroughs of it on PC despite being able to run it at 60+ no problem. Though I guess it's a case by case thing, I like my first person shooters running as fast as possible.

Another thing, graphics haven't impressed me since Half-Life 2. I think that game broke me in that regard, I just wasn't able to fully handle it in 2004 and haven't been the same since. These days the thing that catches my attention are animations.

mxgt

Banned
MattKeil said:
You'd have to be crazy to argue that modern consoles can hold up graphically against modern PCs. I certainly spent a while just loading up high-end games on my new PC when I got it several months ago to see the differences. Arkham Asylum in particular was a pretty big leap. Still, after the New PC glow wore off, I went right back to playing 90% of multiplat releases on consoles. Not worth the headache the majority of the time.
Clicking the play button on Steam is very taxing, I agree.

Salsa

SneakyStephan said:
As soon as ps4 is announced you will suddenly care about graphics.

This is relevant, cause now its a good time for PC gaming even with older hardware, because of the consoles.

Everything is a port-job now, and that has its benefits (even though of course the shortcomings are bigger). Software isnt tailor-made to take advantage of the absolute higher-end PCs (of course some are), but to get a good performance overall. We get many benefits from going from console to PC, graphics-wise (this ports still have 1080p resolutions, AA, sometimes better framerate, etc), but its not pushing hardware, since the games have to be multi-platform.

The good thing in my book is that it extends the lifetime of the hardware. We wont see as big of a shift regarding PC graphics until PS4 and NextBox come out, yeah.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SalsaShark said:
A bigger resolution is nice, but the best thing about PC gaming (as far as performance/visuals go, besides the other many benefits) are 60 frames per second.

Truer words have never been spoken.

That's more or less my point, that many of the modern games we're playing on PC aren't built specifically for the PC platform, but high resolution and ESPECIALLY 60FPS makes it worth the price of admission regardless. Love it!

njean777

I have a gaming pc and ps3, still play more games on my ps3. I don't care about graphics nor resolution. The reason is because I can not get immersed in pc games due to kb/m it is very cumbersome to me. Some people will think I'm crazy, but I hate kb/m. I still play games on my pc, but it's mostly indie games like sanctum, and anything that is only on pc.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Tom Penny said:
Pretty much. Plus the shitty keyboard and mouse set up for shooters although Witcher 2 in 1080p gave me an eyegasm.

you just invaded a country

SneakyStephan said:
Durr who cares about graphics, then digital foundry posts one of their inane ps vs xbox comparisons and the fanboy wars begin.

I see so many threads where people make their purchasing decisions based on which console holds 30 fps or which one has x2 AA or minimal AF or some petty shit like that.

Performance is a bigger deal than most want to admit and PC gaming is all about that. Then you have the bonuses of having a more capable PC outside of gaming but who cares about that, right?

SneakyStephan said:
As soon as ps4 is announced you will suddenly care about graphics.

If all you cared about was gameplay you'd own a ps2 not a 360 or ps3.

Exactly

sflufan

Banned
Tom Penny said:
Pretty much. Plus the shitty keyboard and mouse set up for shooters although Witcher 2 in 1080p gave me an eyegasm.

I think you mean the "vastly superior keyboard and mouse set up for shooters" though I can understand that it's an easy mistake to make!

2San

Sutton Dagger said:
I can definitely say that the 'constant troubleshooting' thing is a fallacy, and one that I used think before I got into PC gaming. I am also completely PC illiterate (I got an iMac for a reason lol), but I have had no issues whatsoever. In fact, I'm slowing being exposed to the mod community, and despite my initial reservations, it's actually quite easy (most of the time) and fun to modify a game to run/look/perform better. The PC gaming issues notion is completely overblown, and I don't know why I perpetuated such nonsense...
I can definitely say 'constant troubleshooting' is true. Developers fucking hate Direct X 11 64-bit Windows 7 PC's. Some of the recent games I bought and didn't run properly; The Witcher, DA:O, Magicka, Crysis, GTAIV. I fixed the issue's with the Witcher, DA:O and GTAIV though.

StuBurns

Banned
toasty_T said:
No, that point is completely illogical.

Firstly if they did care they'd have a gaming PC, which is the point of the thread, and the weakest performance console won this generation, and PS2 won last time, which was weaker than GC and Xbox.

Console gamers have historically displayed an indifference towards graphics.

sflufan said:
I think you mean the "vastly superior keyboard and mouse set up for shooters" though I can understand that it's an easy mistake to make!

I don't like keyboard and mouse either. I would much rather sit on my couch and use a controller.

Baller said:
How much was your TV? Surround system? Couch?

Couch? Really? You should have just put 'etc...'

Salsa

revolverjgw said:
What was the point of this thread? The only "conversation" it could possibly encourage is the petty squabbling

People are already saying "i might finally build my rig" etc because of this thread, making people aware of gaming above-average is a good thing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
njean777 said:
I have a gaming pc and ps3, still play more games on my ps3. I don't care about graphics nor resolution. The reason is because I can not get immersed in pc games due to kb/m it is very cumbersome to me. Some people will think I'm crazy, but I hate kb/m. I still play games on my pc, but it's mostly indie games like sanctum, and anything that is only on pc.

You gotta get that PS3 pad hooked up with your PC, brother. No point in getting into another squabble over KB/M controls, but in this day and age it's easier than ever to play on PC with a pad.

Deadly Cyclone said:
My Xbox was only $250. How much was your whole PC?

I need my pc for other things beside gaming. So I only factor the cost of the graphics card as the only gaming related expense. The GTX 560Ti was on sale over the weekend for $200 and a free game and HDMI cable.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Baller said:
How much was your TV? Surround system? Couch?
I love PC gaming, but this is a dumb counter-argument. It's not like a PC doesn't require a seat, speakers and a monitor.

PC gaming IS more money. That's a fact of life. It's also better.

Deadly Cyclone said:
My Xbox was only $250. How much was your whole PC?
My PC was $250, and my PC was $800. My TV was $1200. I paid more, so I get more. That's how this shit works, son.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Snuggler said:
You gotta get that PS3 pad hooked up with your PC, brother. No point in getting into another squabble over KB/M controls, but in this day and age it's easier than ever to play on PC with a pad.

WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE!! >:D

Tom Penny

thetrin said:
I love PC gaming, but this is a dumb counter-argument. It's not like a PC doesn't require a seat, speakers and a monitor.

You can't buy console games for the price you can get quality games on Steam and if you shady you really don't have to pay for a game ever.

Simon Belmont said:
I don't like keyboard and mouse either. I would much rather sit on my couch and use a controller.
Which you can do with nearly every PC game these days :D

Just to nip the "comfy couch" argument before it even starts.

mxgt

Banned
Simon Belmont said:

Couch? Really? You should have just put 'etc...'
It's a good thing you can do that with PC games then isn't it?

StuBurns

Banned
Lasthope106 said:
I need my pc for other things beside gaming. So I only factor the cost of the graphics card as the only gaming related expense. The GTX 560Ti was on sale over the weekend for $200 and a free game and HDMI cable.
Over the weekend, but what about five years ago? How much realistically would it have cost for a set up that could have played multiplatform games the day the 360 launched at similar performance (720/30fps/noAA)?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is it really going to turn into this thread again? God dammit. We should just be congratulating this guy on his rig, not having idiots complain for and against PC gaming.

-viper-

Banned
thetrin said:

My PC was $250, and my PC was $800. My TV was $1200. I paid more, so I get more. That's how this shit works, son.
Yeah PC gaming is far more expensive to maintain. On top of the money paid for games, you would probably pay additional money for upgrading your PC every so often. However, I could keep my PS3 and 360 for 5 years only paying the console fees ONCE.

mxgt said:
It's a good thing you can do that with PC games then isn't it?

No, I can't. Even if I really wanted to drag my PC into my living room (which I don't), my wife would divorce me before I got it through the door.

jgminto

SalsaShark said:
People are already saying "i might finally build my rig" etc because of this thread, making people aware of gaming above-average is a good thing.
Well it was actually because of Battlefield 3 but whatever.

2San

thetrin said:
Meanwhile ignoring a lot of console exclusives.
jgminto said:
Well it was actually because of Battlefield 3 but whatever.
Mine was for Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2. See how that turned out. ._.

ryan-ts

thetrin said:
Is it really going to turn into this thread again? God dammit. We should just be congratulating this guy on his rig, not having idiots complain for and against PC gaming.

Look at the thread title and look at the last sentence of the first post. This thread was doomed before the first reply.

Lucentto said:
If only good graphics made games fun.
Fact: As of now, the fun factor and variety is far more on PC than all the consoles ever released COMBINED; and with daily discounts on great DD services, PC wins.

Sure, you might say it costs $500 to get a Gaming PC from scratch that will last you 4-5 years, but in long term, the price evens out on PC's favor.

mxgt

Banned
thetrin said:
Console gamers have to come in and be meanies. :[

Brofist

StuBurns said:
Over the weekend, but what about five years ago? How much realistically would it have cost for a set up that could have played multiplatform games the day the 360 launched at similar performance (720/30fps/noAA)?
The Xbox wasnt $250 then either.

Tom Penny

-viper- said:
Yeah PC gaming is far more expensive to maintain. On top of the money paid for games, you would probably pay additional money for upgrading your PC every so often. However, I could keep my PS3 and 360 for 5 years only paying the console fees ONCE.

So your typing all this on your PS3 and X360 if your that insane or you got you PC or laptop free.? Must be nice.

Khal_B

The thing is though, with Steam and all, isn't 't the extra cost of PC gaming that some people are complaining about, negated? Eventually, I think it becomes alot more economical to just game on PC with DD content being how it is right now.

thetrin said:

And it comes with all the benefits of being, well, a PC.

shagg_187 said:
Fact: As of now, the fun factor and variety is far more on PC than all the consoles ever released COMBINED; and with daily discounts on great DD services, PC wins.

Why do people get so caught up in which one 'wins'?

thetrin said:

Yes please, the guy is just telling people how happy he is with his new toy , and people are raining on his parade with smug strawman arguments.

If someone made a 'i just got a DS/xbox and having so much fun and loving it' thread, people wouldn't be shitting on his moment.
If someone did post 'durr have fun with rrod' as first post they'd probably get banned for the pointless troll.

-viper- said:
The price of building my PC was quite expensive, but that's one a one-off thing. It's pretty much equal to how much I paid for my 360, PS3 and Wii.

I think over the next five years, thanks to Steam and lower prices on day one releases, I'll spend a lot less on PC gaming than I have on my consoles in the last five years.

I know, it's 3 platforms vs 1, so not really that fair, but when I think of consoles I count all of the ones I own from this gen.

Top Bottom