• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming has won - True HD graphics for the masses

2San

saunderez said:
Not to mention the assumptions it makes about console gamers. That they're incapable of doing the "simple" things required to game on PC. In reality a lot of us came from the PC side, got sick of all the fuck-uppery that comes with getting a new game to run decently and decided to give it up once and for all. It's great that the PC spec arms race has slowed down, but that still doesn't change the fact I couldn't install my purchased copy of Starcraft II because the installer was failing silently leaving me no indication what was going wrong.
I'm still a PC gamer and don't even mind the whole going through the ropes, simply because most games I buy are dirt cheap anyhow. I just prefer consoles. Since most of my gaming is still done on console(my top games of this gen is pretty much dominated by console games) and most of my real life friends play on consoles.

The M.O.B said:
Yes people have different tastes but i was just stating the facts.......many console only people can't admit or don't realize that PC "Gamers" are playing all those console exclusives too but are also enjoying the PC exclusives as well. And technically superior is relevant in every way because it makes the visual appeal much more lovely and makes the lesser powerful systems(Wii,360,ps3)seem less impressive.

In the same way that people who play HD games regualry have trouble appreciating wii graphics at a measly 480p, people on PC who play all their games at 1080P with full AA/AF have trouble playing 360/ps3 at 720p with little to no AA. That doesn't mean those games are necessarily bad, but wherein games like COD running at 60fps is considered impressive on consoles, it par for the course on PC and nothing special.
Really who here has said that better visuals doesn't mean a better experience. All I've heard people say that better visuals just isn't that big a factor for enjoyment(at least for some people). Which is true imo, 60fps is godsent though.
Broseybrose said:
Please don't mention that broken piece of shit game, which scarred my console gaming friends for life. It represent everything that's wrong with PC gaming.

Randomizer said:
Really? Other than yourself and some friends do you really believe most PC gamers are like this? Most PC gamers I know have the complete opposite opinion and are just like the idiots in this thread. Your post comes across as elitist, believing that the majority of PC gamers are more open minded is ridiculous as this thread clearly demostrates. I believe the vast majority on both platforms have a tendency to ignore the other platform, they are either too stuck up or have ill conceived misconceptions.
I'd agree with Stallion's statement. Granted, it's pretty anecdotal but from people I know and what I read on GAF, a lot of people who are primarily PC gamers, also play games on consoles.

I think we're at a point in this generation where between the exclusive games and the relatively cheap price, that the consoles are worth it for people who are interested in games.

Wallach

Gravijah said:
lttp on that blackdove mess but wow lol

crazy. how do you play neogeo pocket color games?

Hah, you mock me but I do have one of those! I only have Match of the Millenium and Card Fighers' Clash though. I always wanted to play Falselei! but I couldn't find it.

Salacious Crumb

Wallach said:
*waves hand*

Well I mean, technically I think I have a GCN and/or a PSone in a closet somewhere. But I can't confirm that.

I'm sure you've at least played a current gen console though, it's almost impossible not to. on the other hand its blindingly obvious that quite a few of the people who make disparaging remarks about PC gaming haven't played a PC game in their lives.

saunderez

2San said:
I'm still a PC gamer and don't even mind the whole going through the ropes, simply because most games I buy are dirt cheap anyhow. I just prefer consoles. Since most of my gaming is still done on console(my top games of this gen is pretty much dominated by console games) and most of my real life friends play on consoles.
I suppose it depends on what you do for a living. I'm a network and systems admin so the last thing I want to do when I get home from troubleshooting stuff at work is to troubleshoot my own PC just so I can play a game. In the end I'm willing to pay a little extra for the convenience of console gaming due to the fact it allows me to keep my sanity.

Gravijah

Wallach said:
Hah, you mock me but I do have one of those! I only have Match of the Millenium and Card Fighers' Clash though. I always wanted to play Falselei! but I couldn't find it.

jokes on me, i don't have one of them yet. :'(

StuBurns said:
You said you know of none, I told you three. If I could be bothered I'd go and make a list, for example I know all the PixelJunk games are too, there are probably many more.

You misunderstood the post. I was responding to basically 'no PC games launch over $50'. Because I know a certain few do, but SneakyStephan is right, I don't buy PC games at retail, if it's not the Steam price, I can't really be sure.

well, on retail here in the US at least there aren't too many sales for retail PC games so yes, that is correct. but I'd wager that most PC gamers buy digital now where sales are more abundant. generally speaking, when launched it costs the same on both digital and retail. but it gets cheaper on steam/D2D/gamersgate quicker.

StuBurns said:
You said you know of none, I told you three. If I could be bothered I'd go and make a list, for example I know all the PixelJunk games are too, there are probably many more.

You misunderstood the post. I was responding to basically 'no PC games launch over $50'. Because I know a certain few do, but SneakyStephan is right, I don't buy PC games at retail, if it's not the Steam price, I can't really be sure.

Look, try looking at pricing as a bell curve.
Pc game's curve definitely tops at 40-45 dollars, the console ones top at 60 , the handheld ones top at 25.

The exceptions really don't matter when trying to get a global picture.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
I said I can think of one off hand, you thought of 5.

senahorse

Randomizer said:
Really? Other than yourself and some friends do you really believe most PC gamers are like this? Most PC gamers I know have the complete opposite opinion and are just like the idiots in this thread. Your post comes across as elitist, believing that the majority of PC gamers are more open minded is ridiculous as this thread clearly demostrates. I believe the vast majority on both platforms have a tendency to ignore the other platform, they are either too stuck up or have ill conceived misconceptions.

Anecdotal evidence incoming:

I am regular in the steam community chatroom AusGAF, made up of about 120 Australian GAF members. I don't think there is a single PC only person on there. We regularly are talking about various console games that we are playing. In my experience (in my circle) PC gamers are pretty open minded when it comes to gaming platforms, we, like other people who own multiple platforms prefer to play the best version of a multi-platform game, which a lot of the time happens to be on the PC.

StuBurns

Banned
gatti-man said:
They absolutely are.
I've been looking it up, and I didn't really realize how out of whack Steam often is with retail prices. I have to indeed concede.

Stallion Free said:
I said I can think of one off hand, you thought of 5.
My point was console gamers have had 1080p/60fps, since the PS3 launched. It's not widespread, but it's there.

Smokey

Welcome to the good side. I jumped ship about 2 months ago and build my gaming PC.

In the past 4 days or so I have bought 30 games from the Steam Summer sale. Feels good man.

vMaxx

Can't wait to see the reactions of PC-gamers when we see actual graphics of the new consoles (not WiiU though). I suppose that at minimum, the new consoles will be able to run games like Witcher 2 or Crysis 2 in 1080p-60 frames-and all the effects that are possible at today's PCs.

Wallach

Salacious Crumb said:
I'm sure you've at least played a current gen console though, it's almost impossible not to. on the other hand its blindingly obvious that quite a few of the people who make disparaging remarks about PC gaming haven't played a PC game in their lives.

Ah yes, I've owned all of the current ones with some overlap across all three. But I worked on console and handheld games for seven years or so, and I wound up selling them off at different points.

Smokey

vMaxx said:
Can't wait to see the reactions of PC-gamers when we see actual graphics of the new consoles (not WiiU though). I suppose that at minimum, the new consoles will be able to run games like Witcher 2 or Crysis 2 in 1080p-60 frames-and all the effects that are possible at today's PCs.

LOL

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
My point was console gamers have had 1080p/60fps, since the PS3 launched. It's not widespread, but it's there.
Hardly.

And none of them are the ones that console games herald as the defining games of their platform.

I don't think anyone is taking into account all the amazing indie games that are on PC.

Frozen Synapse
Spacechem
Recettear
Music games like Audiosurf and Beat Hazard
Magicka

Those are just what I've played recently, I could go on for a long fucking time.

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Hardly.

And none of them are the ones that console games herald as the defining games of their platform.

Exactly, if they actually cared then more games would have that performance. In fact it goes to support the point they don't care. Developers/publishers prioritize for what users want, they clearly don't care about full HD at 60Hz.

vMaxx

Smokey said:
As far as I know, even today most of the PCs are suffering to give good results in the demanding games. Sure, if you pay 3000$, you will be able to play at ultra-settings but never forget the CRYSIS FIASCO! And I also said the MINIMUM abilities...

Threads like this slay me.

I grew up with a crappy second-hand TRS-80 and Odyssey 2.

My earliest recollections of gaming are writing my own lame ass text games in Basic and playing Dungeons of Daggorath (a first-person RPG where you can die from getting too scared when enemies get close to you by running away too fast and having a heart attack) on the trash-80, and playing this horribly obnoxious physics game called Monkeyshines with my Dad on the O2 that my parents got on clearance from the Sears Wishbook in like 1985.

It was ghetto, but it introduced me to computer and console gaming at the same time. Obviously I upgraded eventually, but you get my point.

Maybe it's like how if cats and dogs grow up together they don't fight?

Gravijah

vMaxx said:
Sure, if you pay 3000$, you will be able to play at ultra-settings but never forget the CRYSIS FIASCO!

oh my god not this shit :/

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Threads like this slay me.

I grew up with a crappy second-hand TRS-80 and Odyssey 2.

My earliest recollections of gaming are writing my own lame ass text games in Basic and playing Dungeons of Daggorath (a first-person RPG where you can die from getting too scared when enemies get close to you by running away too fast and having a heart attack) on the trash-80, and playing this horribly obnoxious physics game called Monkeyshines with my Dad on the O2 that my parents got on clearance from the Sears Wishbook in like 1985.

It was ghetto, but it introduced me to computer and console gaming at the same time.

Maybe it's like how if cats and dogs grow up together they don't fight?

i dunno, consider me in the middle, too. i enjoy nice graphics, but at any one time i'm gaming across multiple decades, so in the end i don't really care.

Rur0ni

Anticitizen One said:
I used to be pretty anti-PC gaming but I got an imac and installed windows 7 with bootcamp and have been blown away. I can run just about everything in max settings, play with a 360 controller, and get games for like $5!
*laughs menacingly*

vMaxx said:
As far as I know, even today most the the PCs are suffering to give good results in the demanding games. Sure, if you pay 3000$, you will be able to play at ultra-settings but never forget the CRYSIS FIASCO!
Buckle up. It's gonna get bumpy.

Coldsnap

Yea I have switched over to PC gaming with an xbox 360 controller on my HDTV. I will play console exclusives but that is about it.

2San

toasty_T said:
2San said:
Please don't mention that broken piece of shit game, which scarred my console gaming friends for life. It represent everything that's wrong with PC gaming.
Stop mentioning that game! It represent a trauma for me.

Frankfurt

Banned
I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority here has gamed on PC, handhelds, consoles and mobile.

So... Why are we still pretending otherwise?

StuBurns

Banned
vMaxx said:
As far as I know, even today most the the PCs are suffering to give good results in the demanding games. Sure, if you pay 3000$, you will be able to play at ultra-settings but never forget the CRYSIS FIASCO! And I also said the MINIMUM abilities...
No. A very reasonable PC can run Crysis 2 incredibly well.

Derrick01

Banned
vMaxx said:
As far as I know, even today most the the PCs are suffering to give good results in the demanding games. Sure, if you pay 3000$, you will be able to play at ultra-settings but never forget the CRYSIS FIASCO! And I also said the MINIMUM abilities...

I liked this thread better when we were showing 100 pictures in 1 post.

Smokey

vMaxx said:

$3,000?

Maybe if you want to run a Triple monitor setup and play at 5000x2000 res.

2San said:

It's a fun game but it can be a broken piece of shit for some people.

Never had an issue with it, probably why I have a positive opinion.

gatti-man

vMaxx said:
Honestly I hope and believe we will see better than that in next gen consoles minus the 60fps part. I don't think that will ever be consistent in consoles.

StuBurns said:
I've been looking it up, and I didn't really realize how out of whack Steam often is with retail prices. I have to indeed concede.

But in practice it's not what the average player gets on consoles, not even close.
Real world, practical results matter, not exceptions.

I've personally always been okay with 480p PAL res on a crt tv at 60 fps on ps2 in games where input lag is crucial, and 30 fps in games where it doesn't matter (not so much with 30 in the later stuttering games).

The jaggies didn't phase me either.

But in the era of screentearing, upscaling artifacts and upscaling blur on lcd tv's, games that can't uphold their 30 fps at all (even with all the tearing that cuts off frames to shit out a new one before it's ready!,seriously, I can't think of an example of sub 30 fps causing tearing before the 360 and ps3 arrived) the pc does have a sizeable practical advantage.

I honestly wish ps3 and 360 would just accept what they are and turn down the effects a little bit if it means hitting 720p /rocksteady framerates.
It's what consoles have always done.

edit: also most of the condescending cheap stabs at console gaming are a reaction to the retared strawman arguments that keep popping up about pc gaming.
It's more of a 'look at yourself first before you come up with petty overexaggerations and misconceptions' thing.
You see the irony behind their statement and you respond with some venom of your own (cheap as it may be, it is true and apparently upsets the receiving party).

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Gravijah said:
oh my god not this shit :/

Naturally what should follow is an explanation of how you can create a rig that can play Crysis on ultra high at 3000 fps (nevermind if you don't know shit about assembling the hardware of a computer, loading an operating system, ensuring your gaming rig is appropriately powered/cooled yet doesn't sound like a Harrier lifting off) using a rubber pand, a toothpick and a squirrel.

Sophia

vMaxx said:
As far as I know, even today most of the PCs are suffering to give good results in the demanding games. Sure, if you pay 3000$, you will be able to play at ultra-settings but never forget the CRYSIS FIASCO! And I also said the MINIMUM abilities...

I was playing Batman Arkham Asylum earlier at 1080p pretty damn close to maxed out on a $500 setup. =p

At $3000, you're firmly going to be into the realm of arcade style insane.

My favorite part of the console gamers trying to downplay PC's superior resolution and graphics is that they turn around and shit on Wii and handheld gamers for using the same arguments against the PS3/360.

For a scenario:

Wii/Handheld Gamer: "I don't see the point of buying a more powerful console if all it does is just gives better graphics."

Defensive Console Gamer: "HORSESHIT! Power is everything! Enjoy your baby consoles loser!"

PC Gamer: "Hey check out The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3. Great framerate and effects in near or at 60fps."

Defensive Console Gamer: "Who gives a shit about graphics and better resolutions? They don't effect gameplay! More power =/ better game.

vMaxx

DOO13ER said:
Naturally what should follow is an explanation of how you can create a rig that can play Crysis on ultra high at 3000 fps (nevermind if you don't know shit about assembling the hardware of a computer, loading an operating system, ensuring your gaming rig is appropriately powered/cooled yet doesn't sound like a Harrier lifting off) using a rubber pand, a toothpick and a squirrel.
Hahahahaahaha...

Smokey

Flying_Phoenix said:
My favorite part of the console gamers trying to downplay PC's superior resolution and graphics is that they turn around and shit on Wii and handheld gamers for using the same arguments against the PS3/360.

simpsoncircle.gif

TGMIII

I don't get why people with no clue about PCs or technology in general talk about things they don't know about. Seriously some of the posts in this thread are mindbogglingly stupid.

2San

toasty_T said:
It's a fun game but it can be a broken piece of shit for some people.

Never had an issue with it, probably why I have a positive opinion.
Yeah it probably works fine for those with up to date gaming rigs. I gifted the game to some people that could easily run the game, but weren't really new(still running xp and everything). It's a fucking nightmare. It's just trash and you should feel bad for supporting a developer that releases broken games! And still hasn't fixed many game breaking issue's.

vMaxx

Marrshu said:
I was playing Batman Arkham Asylum earlier at 1080p pretty damn close to maxed out on a $500 setup. =p

At $3000, you're firmly going to be into the realm of arcade style insane.
The 3000$ was an exaggeration just to emphasize...

StuBurns

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
But in practice it's not what the average player gets on consoles, not even close.
Real world, practical results matter, not exceptions.

I've personally always been okay with 480p PAL res on a crt tv at 60 fps on ps2 in games where input lag is crucial, and 30 fps in games where it doesn't matter (not so much with 30 in the later stuttering games).

The jaggies didn't phase me either.

But in the era of screentearing, upscaling artifacts and upscaling blur on lcd tv's, games that can't uphold their 30 fps at all (even with all the tearing that cuts off frames to shit out a new one before it's ready!,seriously, I can't think of an example of sub 30 fps causing tearing before the 360 and ps3 arrived) the pc does have a sizeable practical advantage.

I honestly wish ps3 and 360 would just accept what they are and turn down the effects a little bit if it means hitting 720p /rocksteady framerates.
It's what consoles have always done.
I agree completely. But that goes to show people don't care. They buy the games that don't perform up to a reasonable standard (lets say reasonable being 720p/30/V-Sync'd for the sake of the hardware limitations). Publishers have to focus on what sells software, and triple buffering and MLAA are not it.

QuiteWhittle said:
Maybe he's speaking of native 1080p titles?
I'm sure he was, as was I.

Upscaling is irrelevant.

Randomizer

SneakyStephan said:
I don't know a single pc gamer who doesn't own a console.
(group of about 40-50 people).
"I think most PC users have consoles and don't turn their noses up" I was replying to this. I didn't once say that they don't own or play consoles I said that it was false to believe that they are more gracious and don't turn their noses up. He was replying to StuBurns who said:

StuBurns said:
I think the hardcore PC community who turn their noses up at console games are missing out on exceptional games, just as the opposite is true.
Which is as far as I'm concerned is accurate.

x3n05 said:
Anecdotal evidence incoming:

I am regular in the steam community chatroom AusGAF, made up of about 120 Australian GAF members. I don't think there is a single PC only person on there. We regularly are talking about various console games that we are playing. In my experience (in my circle) PC gamers are pretty open minded when it comes to gaming platforms, we, like other people who own multiple platforms prefer to play the best version of a multi-platform game, which a lot of the time happens to be on the PC.
I'm not saying all PC gamers are like that it just so happens that the majority of the ones I know personally and those I have seen online (this thread) have been the complete opposite and shit on consoles any chances they get. I have seen maybe only five or six posters in this whole thread who are reasonable and don't really care which platform a games is on as long as it is good.

2San said:

the game is fixed now. they are also a very small developer who can't offer as many resources as a activision or EA to fix things. but the game is fine and plays great now.

Top Bottom