• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming has won - True HD graphics for the masses

vMaxx

I am pretty confident that the next consoles from Sony and Microsoft will be super-powerful and that the 1080p and 60 frames will be the standard (not WiiU though). The consoles will be on par with the monster-PCs for the first year of their life and then the PCs will outperform them again. That was always the case with consoles anyways.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
Indeed. But GAF isn't ripping on PC gamers for being underlings or I'd be arguing for them instead.
No, they are trying to downplay the significance of framerates and resolution, two things they have zero experience with the higher end of.

StuBurns

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I wondered why my laptop died when I tried to open this thread.

... What I needed to open it with was my quad core, 8gb ram PC ;)
"Can it run GAF?"

Stallion Free said:
No, they are trying to downplay the significance of framerates and resolution, two things they have zero experience with the higher end of.
That's hardly fair. There are 1080p/60fps games on consoles. Yes you can have higher resolution, and better framerates than that on PC, but realistically I think that's what most people are running at.

I'm personally not into PC gaming because the games that I'm interested in aren't on the PC. Simple enough.

Well, that, and my rig sucks major balls and I'm simply not willing to upgrade/get a new one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Futureman said:
Console exclusives are probably my favorite games.

PC has the best graphics obviously, but the most creative and fun games are on consoles (mostly Sony and Ninty 1st party offerings).
I can't agree with this and I love many console indie/retail/dd games and such.

vMaxx said:
I am pretty confident that the next consoles from Sony and Microsoft will be super-powerful and that the 1080p and 60 frames will be the standard (not WiiU though). The consoles will be on par with the monster-PCs for the first year of their life and then the PCs will outperform them again. That was always the case with consoles anyways.
I don't know, I almost have the feeling that consoles will be underpowered the next round. They will probably do 1080p with some AA but that is about it, at max.

2San

SneakyStephan said:
This thread is full of people turning their nose up at pc gaming for no reason though.
Well it's a thread that says; "PC gaming has won". You expected people that prefer consoles to say;"Yeah totally"?

Foliorum Viridum said:
I wondered why my laptop died when I tried to open this thread.

... What I needed to open it with was my quad core, 8gb ram PC ;)
Somewhat OT, I didn't even notice a difference with my rig and connection ;)

One thing I've always wondered, does it take a lot more electricity to run a high-end graphics card than to run a console? I'm always thinking about upgrading my PC but worry it's going to bump up my power a bill a heck of a lot.

vMaxx

MTMBStudios said:
I don't know, I almost have the feeling that consoles will be underpowered the next round. They will probably do 1080p with some AA but that is about it, at max.
I don't think so. Especially from Sony, I have high expectations. If the PSvita can be so powerful for a handheld, just imagine their next console...

vMaxx said:
When is resolution or framerate ever consistent? I think developers will always push for visual flare at the cost of them.

gatti-man

vMaxx said:
This is true which is why by the end of a generation I own all the consoles and barely use them. Might as well call them gearsbox and blustation right now. But when I bought them at launch they got all the love while my pc languished.

vMaxx said:
I don't think so. Especially from Sony, I have high expectations. If the PSvita can be so powerful for a handheld, just imagine their next console...

I can't wait for when it's announced and GAF declares it to be two Vitas duct taped together

Wallach

Futureman said:

PC has the best graphics obviously, but the most creative and fun games are on consoles (mostly Sony and Ninty 1st party offerings).

Haha, okay. I think what you mean is "the most creative and fun games I can be bothered to expose myself to" are on consoles. The amount of creativity especially out of first party studios on consoles is really pretty sad right now. Even compared to other console studios, much less stuff like "indie" PC titles.

legend166

I don't care if people don't want to play games on a PC.

My problem is when those people look down on 'casual' gamers or act like graphics whores, as if they are somehow sitting on the top of the technological tree.

CozMick

Banned
Why do PC gamers feel the need to preach and spread the word of the master race?

We get it, your i7 7.3ghz, 18gb of ram and cybertech 9000+ 4gb can turn water into wine.

Console gamers just don't need that shit, we have Mountain Dew :\

saunderez

2San said:
Well it's a thread that says; "PC gaming has won". You expected people that prefer consoles to say;"Yeah totally"?
Not to mention the assumptions it makes about console gamers. That they're incapable of doing the "simple" things required to game on PC. In reality a lot of us came from the PC side, got sick of all the fuck-uppery that comes with getting a new game to run decently and decided to give it up once and for all. It's great that the PC spec arms race has slowed down, but that still doesn't change the fact I couldn't install my purchased copy of Starcraft II because the installer was failing silently leaving me no indication what was going wrong.

Futureman said:

You could certainly argue that point and I will concede that consoles probably offer more polished experiences but PC gaming offers me far more unique and creative experiences.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wallach said:
Haha, okay. I think what you mean is "the most creative and fun games I can be bothered to expose myself to" are on consoles. The amount of creativity especially out of first party studios on consoles is really pretty sad right now. Even compared to other console studios, much less stuff like "indie" PC titles.

There are creative games on consoles, but the large majority of them can only be found on the downloadable channels. The thing is, games like that are available in spades on PC, and sometimes even free of cost. PC is a muthafuckin haven for those kinds of games.

Also, considering I just started playing Frozen Synapse and Terraria, so it's kinda hard to buy that there is a lack of creativity on the PC platform.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
That's hardly fair. There are 1080p/60fps games on consoles.
I can think of one actual 1080p game that plays at 60 fps on consoles and that will lower resolution to keep the framerate.

gatti-man

Charmicarmicat said:
One thing I've always wondered, does it take a lot more electricity to run a high-end graphics card than to run a console? I'm always thinking about upgrading my PC but worry it's going to bump up my power a bill a heck of a lot.
I have a 1kw power supply on my pc with dual gpu setup. Expect a$ 25 boost to your bill compared to consoles from my experience.

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I can think of one actual 1080p game that plays at 60 fps on consoles and that will lower resolution to keep the framerate.
That only speaks to your knowledge, not the consoles or their audiences. Ridge Racer on PS3 is 1080p/60fps without a dynamic framebuffer (assuming you were alluding to Wipeout), there's Virtual Tennis 3, Super Stardust HD, there are probably more, that's off hand.

The M.O.B

2San said:
Read the complete thread. My point is exactly that people have different tastes. So being technically superior, cheaper, etc. is all irrelevant.

Yes people have different tastes but i was just stating the facts.......many console only people can't admit or don't realize that PC "Gamers" are playing all those console exclusives too but are also enjoying the PC exclusives as well. And technically superior is relevant in every way because it makes the visual appeal much more lovely and makes the lesser powerful systems(Wii,360,ps3)seem less impressive.

In the same way that people who play HD games regualry have trouble appreciating wii graphics at a measly 480p, people on PC who play all their games at 1080P with full AA/AF have trouble playing 360/ps3 at 720p with little to no AA. That doesn't mean those games are necessarily bad, but wherein games like COD running at 60fps is considered impressive on consoles, it par for the course on PC and nothing special.

Randomizer

Stallion Free said:
I think most PC users have consoles and don't turn their noses up. I have played Uncharted 1/2, the Halo games, Crackdown, and tons of other console exclusives.

Really? Other than yourself and some friends do you really believe most PC gamers are like this? Most PC gamers I know have the complete opposite opinion and are just like the idiots in this thread. Your post comes across as elitist, believing that the majority of PC gamers are more open minded is ridiculous as this thread clearly demostrates. I believe the vast majority on both platforms have a tendency to ignore the other platform, they are either too stuck up or have ill conceived misconceptions.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Electivirus said:
I'm personally not into PC gaming because the games that I'm interested in aren't on the PC. Simple enough.

Well, that, and my rig sucks major balls and I'm simply not willing to upgrade/get a new one.
tbh, there are probably a lot of PC games you would be interested in that would run on your rig. For instance, Fallout and Fallout 2. Two RPG classics that hold up to this day thanks to nicely designed 2D graphics, great dialogue, and a unique sense of agency. Such things are definitely worth looking into when you find the time.

StuBurns said:
No they do not, and lying hardly strengthens one's argument.
Yes they bloody do, the world does not end at steam + ubisoft and activision.
Every single game from activision and ubi is up for 49 or less at other retailers (amazon etc), it's not my fault if activision tries to charge a premium on steam and you buy it there.

Steam + ubisoft (who have abandoned trying to push 59 dollars on steam!) and cod are the only exceptions to pc pricing, and you know it damn well.

It's hilarious that you are seriously denying that pc games aren't a lot cheaper.

Randomizer said:
Really? Other than yourself and some friends do you really believe most PC gamers are like this? Most PC gamers I know have the complete opposite opinion and are just like the idiots in this thread. Your post comes across as elitist, believing that the majority of PC gamers are more open minded is ridiculous as this thread clearly demostrates. I believe the vast majority on both platforms have a tendency to ignore the other platform, they are either too stuck up or have ill conceived misconceptions.
I don't know a single pc gamer who doesn't own a console.
(group of about 40-50 people).

StuBurns said:
That only speaks to your knowledge, not the consoles or their audiences. Ridge Racer on PS3 is 1080p/60fps without a dynamic framebuffer (assuming you were alluding to Wipeout), there's Virtual Tennis 3, Super Stardust HD, there are probably more, that's off hand.
You are reaching SO much just to support your argument, just let it go, it's not becoming of you to act like this.

StuBurns said:
A handful of games is pretty good proof that the next consoles need to happen now. I mean, how many 720p/30fps games are there? In 2011 a resolution that low and a framerate that bad shouldn't be the norm. Even worse, there are a lot of sub-720p, sub-30fps games being released all the time.

StuBurns

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
Yes they bloody do, the world does not end at steam + ubisoft and activision.
Every single game from activision and ubi is up for 49 or less at other retailers (amazon etc), it's not my fault if activision tries to charge a premium on steam and you buy it there.

It's hilarious that you are seriously denying that pc games aren't a lot cheaper.
I didn't say PC games aren't cheaper. I said I don't believe they are uniformly cheaper.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
I'm struggling to find a list here.

StuBurns said:
No they don't, and what does that price have to do with anything?

it was 30 dollars at launch. that was your previous argument, that PC games don't launch at 30 to 50 dollars or pounds in your case. and I'm giving you an example that indeed they do.

Shouldn't console devs strive to push the hardware, though? I've never understood this whole "I hope consoles can do 1080p AAx4 60fps" thing.

I want PC devs and console devs to both push their hardware.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Randomizer said:
I don't think there is a single person on my Steam friends list who doesn't own at least one console.

Wallach

SneakyStephan said:
I don't know a single pc gamer who doesn't own a console.
(group of about 40-50 people).

*waves hand*

Well I mean, technically I think I have a GCN and/or a PSone in a closet somewhere. But I can't confirm that.

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
You said you know of none, I told you three. If I could be bothered I'd go and make a list, for example I know all the PixelJunk games are too, there are probably many more.
evil solrac v3.0 said:
it was 30 dollars at launch. that was your previous argument, that PC games don't launch at 30 to 50 dollars or pounds in your case. and I'm giving you an example that indeed they do.
You misunderstood the post. I was responding to basically 'no PC games launch over $50'. Because I know a certain few do, but SneakyStephan is right, I don't buy PC games at retail, if it's not the Steam price, I can't really be sure.

Gravijah

lttp on that blackdove mess but wow lol

Wallach said:
*waves hand*

Well I mean, technically I think I have a GCN and/or a PSone in a closet somewhere. But I can't confirm that.

crazy. how do you play neogeo pocket color games?

The M.O.B

Stallion Free said:
*As of 2010
PS3 games running at 1080P ()
Cars Mater-National = 1280x720 (QAA), 1920x1080 (QAA)
Fifa Street 3 = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Full Auto 2 (demo) = 1920x1080 (4x AA)
GT5 Prologue (demo) = 1080p mode is 1280x1080 (2xAA) in-game while the garage/pit/showrooms are 1920x1080 with no AA. 720p mode is 1280x720 (4xAA)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance = 1280x720 & 1920x1080 (no AA)
MLB09: The Show = 1280x720 (2xAA) or 1920x1080 (no AA)
NBA07 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
NBA08 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
NBA Street Home court (screenshot) = 1920x1080 (no AA
Ridge Racer 7 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel = 1280x720 when sub-HD output selected, 1920x1080 for any HD output (no AA)
Virtua Tennis 3 = 1920x1080 (2x AA)
World Series Of Poker 2008 = 1920x1080 (2xAA)

360 games running at 1080p
Fifa Street 3 = 1920x1080 (4xAA)
NBA Street Home court (demo) = 1920x1080 (4xAA)
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel = 1920x1080 for any HD output (including PC res), 1280x960 for 4:3 output, 1376x768 for 480p widescreen (no AA)
Virtua Tennis 3 = 1920x1080 (2xAA)

StuBurns said:
I didn't say PC games aren't cheaper. I said I don't believe they are uniformly cheaper.

they are on average. less so lately but they do tend to go on sale quicker. I don't know of that's good or bad but my wallet is the one that cares....

Top Bottom