• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming question: 120FPS

mcjmetroid

Wondering if ye guys can help.

So I'm looking to get a new TV and from some research I'm a little confused.
If I want 120FPS gaming what kind of a TV would I need?
Do I need HDMI 2.1? Or what should I be searching?

Also my PC graphics card is a GTX 1660. I'm hearing conflicting reports on whether it's possible to do 120HZ gameplay with that card.
Will the card support HDMI 2.1?

Also any recommmendations on a TV that would be able to support what I'm trying to do?

ratburger

Last edited:

crumbs

What resolution are you targeting for 120FPS?

If 4k, then yes you will need a TV with HDMI 2.1. Your 1660 does not have HDMI 2.1, plus it would struggle with 4k at that FPS. I believe the only GPUs that have HDMI 2.1 are the Nvidia 3000 series.

If 1080p, you can use a TV (assuming it supports 120Hz) with HDMI 2.0 and I believe your 1660 would work.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

What resolution are you targeting for 120FPS?

If 4k, then yes you will need a TV with HDMI 2.1. Your 1660 does not have HDMI 2.1, plus it would struggle with 4k at that FPS.

If 1080p, you can use a TV with HDMI 2.0.

OH I'm targetting 1080p. I'd be happy enoguh with that for the moment.
So HDMI 2.1 is only for 4K and 120FPS?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just FYI, a 1660 is not gonna come close to 120fps in most games. Even something as beautifully optimised as Doom Eternal is gonna float around 90.

If you're playing older games though, I guess you can benefit.

crumbs

OH I'm targetting 1080p. I'd be happy enoguh with that for the moment.
So HDMI 2.1 is only for 4K and 120FPS?

I believe so.

Here's a chart with supported resolutions & refresh rates for each HDMI version:

nAH5Agx.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wondering if ye guys can help.

So I'm looking to get a new TV and from some research I'm a little confused.
If I want 120FPS gaming what kind of a TV would I need?
Do I need HDMI 2.1? Or what should I be searching?

Also my PC graphics card is a GTX 1660. I'm hearing conflicting reports on whether it's possible to do 120HZ gameplay with that card.
Will the card support HDMI 2.1?

Also any recommmendations on a TV that would be able to support what I'm trying to do?
look at the specs of the tv. if the refresh rate is 60 hz, it cant do 120 fps. you need to buy a tv with a refresh rate of 120 hz.

no, you dont need hdmi 2.1 for 120 hz. but you do need hdmi 2.1 for 4k 120 fps. most 120 fps tvs can do 1440p at 120 fps which lets face it is what most cards can do.

you 1660 or any card tbh can easily do 120 fps if you bring the resolution and settings down enough. (its a 1080p 60 fps card, so 720p 120 fps should be possible but it will look like shit. So you will need to buy a new card to get most of these current games to run at 120 fps at 1440p. my rtx 2080 can run most games at 120 fps if i stick with 1440p and am willing to set some settings to medium.

hdmi 2.1 is for VRR which works like gsync and freesync and should smooth out framerates if they dip below 60 fps by reducing the refresh rate of your tv to match the fps you are getting. so right now, im getting 45 fps in mafia at native 4k, when VRR is finally added on my x900h tv, it should make it look a lot more smoother than the choppy mess it is now.

YCoCg

Another question.

What's a very low end 120HZ TV? Any ideas of a decent model?
If you want Quality, 1080p, Decent HDR AND 120Hz, then Sony's 2018 LED's are the last major ones from what I recall, back then they were around £600 so you'd be able to find them cheaper now.

Soodanim

Gold Member
You will want HDMI 2.1 for the VRR, so if you don't see a TV that has that and is in your price range, wait if you can. Else you might need to replace your GPU to hit 120fps with more consistency. Higher framerates and variable refresh rates go hand in hand.

mcjmetroid

Another potentially limiting factor - what CPU are you rocking?
It's an old one haha.
It's still a beast to me though.

PhoenixTank

It's an old one haha.
It's still a beast to me though.

👌 Hell of a cpu back in the day - Mine is still running in a secondary system.
Bad news, though - you're going to be bottlenecked & struggle to hit more than 60 in newer games. I know that in say Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War I'd get to dense sections that would be stuck at around 45fps. This was with both a Nvidia GT 960... and then the same with a 1080Ti... sooo yeah, not a GPU problem. Will vary on how they scale out but an upgrade needs to be in your future.

AMD's 5950X looks like it'll really take up the 980X's mantle of wide and fast if you want to continue down that road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom