• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Requirements and Release Times for Alan Wake II Revealed

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
For better read. So for 1080p (540p internal resolution) 60fps on medium you need a 3070 lol.

F85erF6WcAAMlKY
Sounds it might be some kind of vram limitation? 1080p60 medium for a 6700xt, but UHD60 high on a 7800xt? The 7800xt is not that much faster imo (I have both).

Zuzu

I think I’ll skip this for now on the consoles. It’s going to crush them. If they release an update for the PS5 Pro then I’ll look into it again in a year or so. Other than that it’ll have to wait for a few years until I have hardware capable of playing it well.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
rofif rofif by the way look at this…
yes, monitors are FINALLY getting excellent.
I would still be cautious about non lg burn in and matte screen on oled.
But there are some incredible monitors out there finally if someone doesn't want a big ass tv

OverHeat

« generous god »
yes, monitors are FINALLY getting excellent.
I would still be cautious about non lg burn in and matte screen on oled.
But there are some incredible monitors out there finally if someone doesn't want a big ass tv
3 years warranty not bad for burn in

yamaci17

I will be the devil's advocate and just say it: 1080p DLSS performance with proper implementation (meaning that most crucial elements to the visuals stay at NATIVE buffer) looks okay, especially in night conditions which Alan Wake will be

(comparison are made in motion)

just don't act like any of them looks like what "540p" would look like. sure you lose a bit of clarity but it still look serviceable. I have no trouble enjoying Cyberpunk at 1080p dlss performance when it is NIGHT. temporal upscalers do a much better job when a scene is overall dark. which is why games like The Medium, Blair witch, control and alan wake can go haywire on internal resolution and rely on dark scenes to cover up the lack of native pixels and still look fine in the end

a similar comparison where actual 360p is pitted against 1080p dlss ultra performance (in motion)

I'm not saying it looks spectacular (honestly, 1080p itself does not look good nowadays). I'm just saying that ANYONE WHO SAYS "you run at 1440p if you use 4k dlss quality" "lol u play at 540p with 1080p dlss performance" does not understand HOW native buffers work.

but the fact of the matter is , it has nothing to do with actual "360p". you can clearly see game relies on native 1080p buffers and hence, mimics what 1080p would look like, just softer

adamosmaki

Before people get triggered by the specs. THis is a good thing. Its ok to upgrade your PC once every few years. thats kind of the point.
requiring an rtx 3070/rx 6700xt for medium settings at 960x540p is never a good think especially for a linear story driven game . That screams F***k spending money and time on optimization and rely on upscaling. For reference i play Cybepunk on a 6700xt at 1440p native almost everything on ultra at 60fps

Mortisfacio

requiring an rtx 3070/rx 6700xt for medium settings at 960x540p is never a good think especially for a linear story driven game . That screams F***k spending money and time on optimization and rely on upscaling. For reference i play Cybepunk on a 6700xt at 1440p native almost everything on ultra at 60fps

CDPR definitely optimized the game pretty well for PC. Dogtown being the biggest resource drain, but that zone seems to have been built with overdrive and path tracing in mind. My biggest knock is the ragdoll physics, though. Wish they could spare more resources or time to cleaning that up. Mod community has improved it a bit, at least.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I didnt realize these numbers were with performance DLSS. that is indeed bullshit.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I remember playing Quantum Break @ 900p with their internal image reconstruction tech, cuz at the time of release the game was made for GPUs 2-3 generations ahead of what was available. What a terrible experience it was. Never again.

Now I can run Quantum Break @ native 4K 60 locked on a 3080Ti, 8 years later, can't imagine it'll be different story with Alan Wake II. On the other hand it is good to see that it is not a CPU heavy game, but we'll see about that shortly, cuz RT and PT are very CPU demanding features.

daninthemix

Although the Path Tracing Ultra suggests DLSS Performance, I will stubbornly leave it on Quality mode. Um, this game has framegen tho right?

yamaci17

No mention of framegen, so probably will run a lot better then those charts say if u got a 4000 series gpu.
it has to be with frame gen
4070 is %25-30 faster than 3070 in raster

4k dlss performance is around 2.5x-3x times harder to run than 1080p dlss performance

if 3070 gets 60 fps at medium settings with 1080p dlss performance, it is impossible for a 4070 to hit 60 fps at high settings with 4k dlss performance, without frame gen

assuming there's at least a %30 performance jump between medium and high settings, that would only allow 4070 to hit the same performance 3070 gets at 1080p dlss performance with high settings instead of medium settings

so it is indeed with frame gen. and quite possibly from an 30-40 fps baseline. because 4070 would barely get 30 fps at 4k dlss performance with high settings if these requirements are any indication, not 60 FPS as they claim

hlm666

damn imagine you need a top of the line GPU to enjoy a video game in an optimal setting.
Remember all the times people say your only getting console ports for your 3k pc, now imagine consoles helping fund games for that niche market and then having to play at below optimal settings (whatever that is).

dEvAnGeL

I hope it has the option to turn path tracing off and leave all other RT effects on. I dislike frame generation and much rather play on DLSS quality at solid 60 fps.

M1987

4k dlss performance is around 2.5x-3x times harder to run than 1080p dlss performance

if 3070 gets 60 fps at medium settings with 1080p dlss performance, it is impossible for a 4070 to hit 60 fps at high settings with 4k dlss performance, without frame gen

assuming there's at least a %30 performance jump between medium and high settings, that would only allow 4070 to hit the same performance 3070 gets at 1080p dlss performance with high settings instead of medium settings

so it is indeed with frame gen. and quite possibly from an 30-40 fps baseline. because 4070 would barely get 30 fps at 4k dlss performance with high settings if these requirements are any indication, not 60 FPS as they claim
If it is with Frame gen then hardly anyone is going to be able to play it,unless they play it at 720p DLSS quality

Last edited:

Denton

Now I can run Quantum Break @ native 4K 60 locked on a 3080Ti
Do you have some miraculous 3080Ti? I just tested it and it did not take long to find a place that ran 45fps in native 4K all ultra. Overlooking the lab in the beginning. Dropping res to 1440p increased framerate to 95.

yamaci17

Do you have some miraculous 3080Ti? I just tested it and it did not take long to find a place that ran 45fps in native 4K all ultra. Overlooking the lab in the beginning. Dropping res to 1440p increased framerate to 95.
they may be running temporal filtering that practically was sort of temporal upscaler of its time

People are going to have to get used to the fact that PS5/SX are now the baseline which gets you around 1440p/30 FPS medium experience in demanding games, and that's equivalent to around Ryzen 3600/ RTX 2070S PC or better, and if you want 60 FPS you're going to need hw that's capable of double that, which is roughly at RTX 3090 level. Not an easy ask for sure, and that's why we have all these AI frames coming in to compensate the fact that the cost of GPU hardware keeps rising.

That said, 1080p with performance upscaling is going to look awful no matter what, and I would not use such settings under any condition.

Sentenza

Stick to your popcorn games m8
You have no fucking clue of what you're even talking about, have you?
If you were even remotely familiar with my post history and my personal preferences this is definitely not the angle you'd have attempted to feel superior.

And if anything "popcorn game" is exactly how I'd describe the first Alan Wake.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

No because if it does require framegen, the GPU on AMD side needs to be far more faster, and as the sheet says clearly a 30% faster GPU from the AMD side on the same spot it means framegen isn't enabled, and this gets even further confirmed by the fact it stats DLSS/FSR2 so FSR3 isn't used which could be a counterargument towards it.

Why would it only give a 30% faster GPU, maybe because the settings only require a 30% faster or less amount of GPU performance. But the real limitations here is v-ram. So that's why a 4070 arrived on that spot. but 4070 could also have been picked instead of a 3080 on that spot, because they wanted a current gen gpu on that spot ( a lot of spec sheets with pc games do this ) So maybe its not entirely it needs 12gb of v-ram, but 10gb is also good, we won't know this.

The 30 and 60 fps metrics can also mean a stable 30 or 60 fps. So if a game runs at 50 they will simple stated it as 30 fps, and this can also explain why less performance is needed on the GPU side to get to double the performance on the sheet. I think this is probably the case outside of v-ram.

Because if u look at 2060>4070, low to ultra u need 4x the performance to get there, but the hardware only is 2x faster, but has double the v-ram.

About pathtracing, this could very well mean it has framegen enabled, but also it could not be the case. The sheet simple isn't clear enough about it.

Either way, the game is horrible optimized and i can see why they are happy to sit on epic store at the end of the day, because on steam i am 100% sure it will be review bombed to shit and a refund galore because the performance on this sheet is absolutely laughable if it actually is going to be the case.

30 fps and dlss/fsr2 performance at 1080p, is in my view unplayable.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You know what, you're right. The thing is, the game activates image reconstruction even if you'll use Ultra preset which I didn't know, so without it it's possible to achieve locked 40-45FPS, just checked in one of the most demandig locations in the game with a lot of time distortions etc. So yeah, 8 years later and even 3080Ti can't achive locked 60 @ native 4K. QB doesn't even have any RT effects or much more complicated and better screen space tech, AO and Planar Reflections.

hlm666

I hope it has the option to turn path tracing off and leave all other RT effects on. I dislike frame generation and much rather play on DLSS quality at solid 60 fps.
The spec sheet seems to imply you can do that, looks like low/med/high RT then have a path tracing toggle pretty much like cyberpunk.

Denton

So yeah, 8 years later and even 3080Ti can't achive locked 60 @ native 4K. QB doesn't even have any RT effects or much more complicated and better screen space tech, AO and Planar Reflections.
But, to be honest, QB still looks fantastic. Yeah the SSR artifacts are annoying but overall the game could have come out this year and nobody would bat an eye.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
But, to be honest, QB still looks fantastic. Yeah the SSR artifacts are annoying but overall the game could have come out this year and nobody would bat an eye.
Exactly. It looks on par with modern games minus bad hair rendering, lack of RT and everything I've mentioned above as well.

Top Bottom