• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vazel

Banned
Salaadin said:
Why does my version always want to run windowed? I see the option under graphics config but its grayed out and wont let me uncheck it.
dx10 starts windowed. You have to press ctrl+enter.

Red

Gyoru: How did you get Okami working without the borders bleeding into everything? What plug ins you using?

Salaadin

One last thing and I think thisll be perfect...

Im using the Logitech Rumblepad 2 and the Lilypad plugin and Im getting a split second controller lag. I notice it especially in menus and sometimes in the actual game. Any settings Im overlooking here thats causing this?

tokkun

Salaadin said:

Im using the Logitech Rumblepad 2 and the Lilypad plugin and Im getting a split second controller lag. I notice it especially in menus and sometimes in the actual game. Any settings Im overlooking here thats causing this?

I have a controller lag problem in some games. One solution that worked for me was to turn off frame limiting, though this introduces its own issues.

RS4-

Gyoru said:
Front Mission 5: Scars of War (100% English Patched) - I've been playing this game on my actual PS2 since the last time I tried it on PCSX2 it was gameruiningly slow. Constant 60 FPS now with a couple of graphic issues. Shadows don't render properly so they look like squares and there's some texture artifacting. To remedy the artifacting, open \inis\GSdx.ini and edit/add this line "gamefix_skipdraw=2". Remember to set gamefix_skipdraw to 0 when you're not playing FM5. Note there's some ghosting in some of the shots because of the ingame motion blur. The game looks fine when in motion. Perfectly playable if you don't mind the shadows.

Maybe it's just me but it runs "slower" with the skipdraw at 2 =\ I'll have to run it again without the fix and take notice of any graphical differences and framerates.

Remfin

Salaadin said:

Try the Null sound plugin and see if your controller lags disappears...if it does then you're just going to have to play with your sound plugins/settings until it feels acceptable.

Dash

MotherFan said:
What exactly is the scaling option in the new build and how does it work? I am using the 1888r and this sounds interesting.

Scaling comes with newer versions of GSdx, and it automatically scales the resolution by factors of 2, 3 and 4, instead of you having to find out the normal resolution of the game and doing the proper multiplication yourself.

Dash

Rogue Galaxy runs MUCH better than I thought on an i5 750 at 4.0Ghz. Occasionally slows down to 55FPS, but it's pretty fluid. Water effects in chapter 2 are messed up, and in chapter 6 be careful if you start hopping randomly. It'll eventually send you miles up into the sky, and there's no way to get down. Go to the factory if you start hopping, and it fixes the glitch o_O. Here are some pictures I took at 3x scaling (4x causes too much slowdown).

theox2g6

Neo Member
God of War PCSX2 with enbseries

hvbg46.jpg

afiix2.jpg

ev6k2t.jpg

311kkd2.jpg

15ojmrm.jpg

o59dle.jpg

2uj1pad.jpg

2n3e49.jpg]

wow, last time I tried this out was feburary of last year, but whatever one I downloaded posted in this thread is great. A good many games run perfectly at 1080p now.

FoxSpirit

Dash said:
Some Rogue Galaxy pictures. Runs MUCH better than I thought on an i5 750 at 4.0Ghz. Occasionally slows down to 55FPS, but it's pretty fluid. Water effects in chapter 2 are messed up, and in chapter 6 be careful if you start hopping randomly. It'll eventually send you miles up into the sky, and there's no way to get down. Go to the factory if you start hopping, and it fixes the glitch o_O. Here are some pictures I took at 3x scaling (4x causes too much slowdown).

A "mild" suggestion: safe your stuff as png and not bmp when wanting lossless. :lol
Seriously, instead of 4.7MB pictures you will get 1.7MB ones with exactly the same quality. Thanks.

DieH@rd

Banned
theox2g6 said:

hvbg46.jpg

Whoa, you dont have that ghosting/transparency bug! What is enbseries? :D

edit- found little stuff on google, it improves lightning. Anyone has some tutorial how to use it with pcsx2, or download link for enbs?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
theox2g6 said:

Can you post some without the ENB Series? I can't stand that stuff as it just pumps up the bloom and makes the contrast look terrible. God of War can stand on it's own and doesn't graphical mods shitting on the artstyle.

Dascu

How well does God of War 2 run? Any graphical glitches like those shadow/transparency bugs in GoW1? Is it playable all the way through?

suikodan

Anyone tried Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence with the new version? I tried running it with previous version but had problems with it.

Chairhome

Dash said:
Some more Rogue Galaxy since the other pictures I posted were lost.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2z50mdj.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/34dq73k.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Aliasing looks nice, but it looks blurry, is that how it looks on your screen? Mine runs pretty nice, I have to use frame skip though.

cress2000

I get that kind of blurriness in DQVIII as well. I wish I knew what causes it. There are some very crisp, high res shots of DQVIII and RG a few pages back that don't suffer from it.

Dash

Chairhome said:
Aliasing looks nice, but it looks blurry, is that how it looks on your screen? Mine runs pretty nice, I have to use frame skip though.

Here are some more hosted on ImageVenue instead, which look a bit less blurry, but not perfect. I think it has something to do with the image capturing, as in game it looks sharper.

Yeah, I use frame skipping as well. It doesn't run nearly as well as say FFX-2, where I'd be getting 150FPS without frame limiting on. Still, it rarely drops below 55FPS, and has very few glitches for a game that's probably not worked on compatibility-wise nearly as much as the FF's or Kingdom Hearts.

vazel

Banned
Does frame skipping really help performance? iirc it's to bypass gpu rendering but pcsx2 is not generally heavy on the gpu.

Dash

vazel said:
Does frame skipping really help performance? iirc it's to bypass gpu rendering but pcsx2 is not generally heavy on the gpu.

This is something I'm unclear about. I have an i5 750 @ 4.0Ghz and a 8800GT, however I often see the CPU going to 98-99% in the PCSX2 window. I'm told this occurs when the graphics card is the bottle neck. So maybe in more technically advanced games like DQ8 and Rogue Galaxy my 8800GT isn't enough to get full performance? Turning on frame skipping, although not drastic, does give me maybe a 2-3 FPS boost in those games.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Is Silent Hill Origins fully playable on PCSX2? I was thinking about (finally) buying it and playing it with an emulator (my PS2 sadly passed away, and my PS3 has no BC).
My specs are:
- Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3 GHz
- ATI Radeon HD4850 512 MB
- 4 GB RAM
Can I expect the emulator to run decently?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Jocchan said:
Is Silent Hill Origins fully playable on PCSX2? I was thinking about (finally) buying it and playing it with an emulator (my PS2 sadly passed away, and my PS3 has no BC).
My specs are:
- Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3 GHz
- ATI Radeon HD4850 512 MB
- 4 GB RAM
Can I expect the emulator to run decently?
http://pcsx2.net/compat.php?c=search

Looking through that, the answer is no; however, I'm not sure how often it gets updated.

Fox the Sly said:
You probably should use the highest level your CPU supports. My Athlon 64 X2 4000+ only supports SSE2. :(

You're running this with a 4000+? I have a 4200+ and can only get about 60% performance on the two games I tried. Everything I've read suggests at least a dual core at 3.0GHz, so I figured I'd hold off on trying to get this to run at a playable speed until I set aside the cash for my long overdue mobo/CPU upgrade.

onken

I have an E8400 which I can push to about 3.40GHz, however I get terrible performance which I blame on my crappy 8500GT.

I was thinking of upgrading to something like a HD5770, would that be overkill or *gulp* not enough to beat the bottleneck?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
About the Okami shots, they're missing a bunch of effects and filters, like the Wii version pretty much, try running the game in Software Mode and you'll see what I mean D:

Fox the Sly

MegaKungFuRadio said:
You're running this with a 4000+? I have a 4200+ and can only get about 60% performance on the two games I tried. Everything I've read suggests at least a dual core at 3.0GHz, so I figured I'd hold off on trying to get this to run at a playable speed until I set aside the cash for my long overdue mobo/CPU upgrade.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. My whole rig needs updating. Even the keyboard and mouse. :lol

scitek

Just got my new PC last weekend and found out about this emulator. Not sure how to tweak it for the best performance yet, but I'm having fun with it so far. If someone could tell me if I should be able to get good performance or not with these specs, I'd be grateful.

3.25 GHz AMD Phenom II 925 X4
ATI HD 5770 1GB
4 GB RAM

One shot for good measure.

EDIT: Added more.

Luigiv

I should be doing hw said:
That's not problem with the art at all. It's just insane amounts of bloom/fake bloom.
The bloom/fake bloom didn't program itself. It was an artistic choice and not a very good one.

So when devs code an engine, its perfect. Any faults are due to the artistic direction. Riiight.
In SoC's case, yes its got a bleached look, but that screen is not an indication of what the entire game looks like.

duckroll

I dunno what you're trying to argue. The overcast sky filled with artificial lighting is totally an artistic choice. It's not just how SotC looks, but Ico also looks like that. The choice of how the sky looks (and as an extension how all "natural" lighting in the game looks) is artistic and not a technical fault. You can see this sort of sky in paintings and various form of art as well both in digital and traditional mediums. Bloom and HDR are simply technical methods of achieving a certain look in 3D. They didn't have to use it, but they did because it creates the sort of look they want for the world.

duckroll said:
I dunno what you're trying to argue. The overcast sky filled with artificial lighting is totally an artistic choice. It's not just how SotC looks, but Ico also looks like that. The choice of how the sky looks (and as an extension how all "natural" lighting in the game looks) is artistic and not a technical fault. You can see this sort of sky in paintings and various form of art as well both in digital and traditional mediums. Bloom and HDR are simply technical methods of achieving a certain look in 3D. They didn't have to use it, but they did because it creates the sort of look they want for the world.
I'm just arguing that the screenshot where you can see practically nothing but white haze is not what the entire game looks like nor do I think Ueda, or whoever, intended it to be that strong. Sure the game was meant to look bleached/washed out like I said, but not to that extreme.

Nymerio

So, I'm currently in the process of building a new rig. I won't be using it for any new pc games, but being able to play my ps2 library is really important to me. What sort of specs should I go for if I want want pcsx2 to run at a constant 60fps@1080p? A quick google search told me I should aim for a nice cpu and that the gpu isn't that big a deal.

I'm thinking Core i7-920 with a GeForce 9500GT. Is the i7 overkill? My other idea was changing the i7 to a i5 and upgrading the gpu.

Any gaffers here who could give me some hints on what I should go for?

Nymerio said:
So, I'm currently in the process of building a new rig. I won't be using it for any new pc games, but being able to play my ps2 library is really important to me. What sort of specs should I go for if I want want pcsx2 to run at a constant 60fps@1080p? A quick google search told me I should aim for a nice cpu and that the gpu isn't that big a deal.

I'm thinking Core i7-920 with a GeForce 9500GT. Is the i7 overkill? My other idea was changing the i7 to a i5 and upgrading the gpu.

You won't be able to run shit with that video card. EDIT - At least not at 1920x1080

Nymerio

Hm, thats too bad. How about going for the i5 and a gpu with more bang? I just read that pcsx2 uses only 2 cores anyway, so the tradeoff doesn't seem too bad.

Nymerio said:

I'd never recommend building a rig for an in-progress emulator like this, but if you must the the cheapest core i3 is your best option, people are getting as much as 4ghz from stock cooling. Nothing will run PCSX2 as fast as that and its only like ~$120. You'll need a better GPU as well, the 8500GT is complete trash.

Why exactly won't you be using it for PC games, though? Seems stupid to ignore that part of the functionality if you're a gamer especially considering the sorts of deals you can get threw Steam's sales.

This GPU would be a suitable choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127452&cm_re=4770-_-14-127-452-_-Product

SOLDIER

I recently upgraded my card to a Radeon 5770. I was wondering if there were any tweaks I could do that may result in a smoother performance. The card supports DX11, so is there an emulator that takes advantage of that?

SOLDIER said:
I recently upgraded my card to a Radeon 5770. I was wondering if there were any tweaks I could do that may result in a smoother performance. The card supports DX11, so is there an emulator that takes advantage of that?

I don't of any emulator out right now that utilizes DX11, but most emulators anyway ride more on CPU performance than GPU. Aside from a few visual tweaks DX10 may offer, there isn't much else.

scitek said:
Just got my new PC last weekend and found out about this emulator. Not sure how to tweak it for the best performance yet, but I'm having fun with it so far. If someone could tell me if I should be able to get good performance or not with these specs, I'd be grateful.

3.25 GHz AMD Phenom II 925 X4
ATI HD 5770 1GB
4 GB RAM

One shot for good measure.

EDIT: Added more.

NSFW popups, thanks pal.

jett

D-Member
scitek: go to config -> graphics -> and increase the "D3D internal res". Ideally match it with the regular "resolution" option(which is just output), or even better put the internal res even highter, that will yield you an AA-like effect. Those SotC shots of yours are upscaled.

Will games run better with an .iso rather than the actual disk ? I've tried playing FFX off my disk and it runs perfectly until it needs to transition for whatever reason and it will like stutter for a few seconds before going back to normal, I was wondering if maybe backing the disk up to an .iso than running that might fix this ?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
THE Caffeinated said:
Will games run better with an .iso rather than the actual disk ? I've tried playing FFX off my disk and it runs perfectly until it needs to transition for whatever reason and it will like stutter for a few seconds before going back to normal, I was wondering if maybe backing the disk up to an .iso than running that might fix this ?
Yes, as loading from the HDD is faster than loading from a disc, at the very least you'll get faster loading speeds, which is most likely what causes the stuttering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom