• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pctx presents: Libya. The official thread of who knew what, when and why it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future

Not every decision made will be the correct decision. I am still confused as to what the outrage is really about

X-posting as this really does deserve its own thread.
---------------------------

From Fox, but every news agency is picking this up..... these mother fuckers need to be held accountable for this shit:

I wonder if you felt that way about the Bush administration and the whole missing the boat on 9/11 thing. Or the anthrax attacks. Or the Iraq debacle (there are so many to pick from). Or Republicans conspiring against Obama to crash the economy.
Or...
Or......
Or.........

Or do you not believe in litigating the past?

Look, republican partisan shills turned this into a fucking joke. When you cry wolf from the first second something happened and there's even a video beforehand stating you WILL turn any foreign policy problem into an election issue, and then keep crying wolf over and over then you lose your goddamned credibility. A lot of the reason this is all so goddamned confusing to get the stories right is because Mitt Fucking Romney had to put out a statement before he knew what was going on and then make a speech before the president even did. They've been striking at this issue from the very second it started. People see through that shit.

Did some things go wrong? Yes, I'm sure they did, and I hope that we'll see from this situation and learn for the future. The generals will get a better idea of maybe what they should do and/or shouldn't do, and perhaps we can avoid it next time something like this happens. That's what you've gotta do when these things happen. You can't sit here and say there's never going to be a mistake, especially in these very volatile countries, because that's just fucking naive.

Look, I don't really blame Bush even though some intelligence came out saying they did know about some of the terrorists that did 9/11 beforehand, and could have caught some of them. Hindsight is 20/20. Sometimes these things only become clear after you've made the mistake and the dust settles. That's reality.

I'm sure PCTX had the same outrage over the Iraq War / lack of actual WMD's and promptly decided to vote out Bush in 2004.

Not every decision made will be the correct decision. I am still confused as to what the outrage is really about

Outrage? There's non of that. What this is, is the right media sensing their candidate probably won't win and are trying their damnest to realize the dream in January.

Chumly

It's all fake outrage which is why this is a joke. Republicans are deliberately telling lies to try and tie this to Obama and that Obama caused them to die. It's beyond pathetic.

pigeon

Banned
Look, republican partisan shills turned this into a fucking joke. When you cry wolf from the first second something happened and there's even a video beforehand stating you WILL turn any foreign policy problem into an election issue, and then keep crying wolf over and over then you lose your goddamned credibility. A lot of the reason this is all so goddamned confusing to get the stories right is because Mitt Fucking Romney had to put out a statement before he knew what was going on and then make a speech before the president even did. They've been striking at this issue from the very second it started. People see through that shit.

Yeah, this is really what's both amusing and frustrating about the issue. Is it possible the administration did something wrong? It's possible, although plenty of knowledgeable people with good reason to say that they did (like Condi) have said that they probably didn't. But the Republican party, and Romney in specific, have poisoned the well so aggressively with obvious and clearly inaccurate attacks on the President from all conceivable angles that reasonable people simply don't believe them. You don't have to take my word for it -- just look at the complete lack of traction this is getting as an election issue, or Romney's unwillingness to even approach the topic last Monday. It doesn't play, and it doesn't play for the simple and straightforward reason that the people pushing it have cried "terrorist" a few times too often. Frankly, this should be a cautionary tale for you -- because if there was something really wrong here, it would be bad for national security, and if the GOP hadn't frittered away all its credibility, maybe they could actually serve as an effective critic of the Adminstration's decisions and help America. But that die is cast.

Allard

There is nothing to be confused about, the Libya story, at least the 'outrage part' is something conjured up by right wing pundit and republican political affiliates in order to try to paint the president as weak on terror or at worst willing to cover up the deaths of his coworkers for political gain with the election so close. They are intentionally instilling confusion into a story that is still being investigated internally.

You're going to convince a whole of GAFers to vote for Romney with this eloquently crafted thread, I'm sure.

The GOP thanks you for your commitment to God, Country, and Profit.

Romney-Ferengi.jpg

Horns

The fact that Fox News coordinated with The Daily Caller on a video to build momentum makes me question the authenticity of anything they claim now.

A few weeks ago we were told for hours that there was a never before-seen video of a race driven speech by Obama from 2007. After building it up for hours and hours both sites released it at the same time.

Turns out this "never before seen" video was already covered by the original TDC author and Fox News.

It's really hard for me to buy into anything they claim anymore.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Panetta called YOU out??

GAF -> CIA -> GAF
"NeoGAF poster Pctx says..."

The way this has been politicized drives me fucking nuts. It's gross. But I mean, the Republicans refused to change their story about why we went to war in Iraq long after it was clear we went under false pretenses. Bush did a fucking skit about it for the White House Correspondents Dinner, you guys. The nature of information you have after an event is going to change the further you investigate. I'm not sure why people are so hung up on this. Obama said they'll get the guys who did it, and I believe him on that. I'm certain the US will drone bomb a ton of Libyans in retaliation.

Puddles

Banned
I'd love a machine that could put me in the mind of a Pctx-type. I'd love to experience being a complete nutjob loon for at least a few minutes, just for the perspective.

Cyan

Banned
Yeah, this is really what's both amusing and frustrating about the issue. Is it possible the administration did something wrong? It's possible, although plenty of knowledgeable people with good reason to say that they did (like Condi) have said that they probably didn't. But the Republican party, and Romney in specific, have poisoned the well so aggressively with obvious and clearly inaccurate attacks on the President from all conceivable angles that reasonable people simply don't believe them. You don't have to take my word for it -- just look at the complete lack of traction this is getting as an election issue, or Romney's unwillingness to even approach the topic last Monday. It doesn't play, and it doesn't play for the simple and straightforward reason that the people pushing it have cried "terrorist" a few times too often. Frankly, this should be a cautionary tale for you -- because if there was something really wrong here, it would be bad for national security, and if the GOP hadn't frittered away all its credibility, maybe they could actually serve as an effective critic of the Adminstration's decisions and help America. But that die is cast.

And there you have it in a nutshell. This is why I like Pidge.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its a wildly transparent last ditch effort to create controversy - the public doesn't even understand Benghazi in the first place, much less why there's allegedly a conspiracy involved in it. As the administration basically said "yea there was a lot of shit going on" and they certainly might have missed it. That's not really a "conspiracy." There was a lot of shit going on on the ground there and Republicans are trying to play armchair monday morning QB.

Xcellere

The abject rage conservatives experience once Obama wins is going to be absolutely glorious. On the level of "Cartman licking up tears" glorious:

image.gif

Uh, I like Obama and have many black friends, but this is looking pretty bad.

Bad in the sense that this will influence people's opinion and voting. It's just too sensational now.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My argument now of 8 fucking days is null and void as this goes to show how corrupt, inept and moronic our leaders are who are in control of our military.

What has gotten you the flak, Pctx, is that for all this time you have been talking like you knew the situation when in fact you did not. You have been throwing around blame and accusations without really knowing what happened.

However, yes this does seem to vindicate you and the right wingers calling for heads to roll. But that doesn't diminish the fact that you (and Fox and the right) have been on a crusade to crucify the Obama administration since day one of this. It has been horrible behavior from the right lately. Very unpatriotic and embarrassing.

But yeah, this new info is pretty damning. Someone in the chain of command will be paying for this if it's correct.

Chris R

The abject rage conservatives experience once Obama wins is going to be absolutely glorious. On the level of "Cartman licking up tears" glorious:

image.gif

He isn't going to win the election fairly you know. Just heard that this morning. Firstly, Romney is going to win the popular vote, no questions asked, but Obummer has rigged the electoral college so he gets four more years. The person who wins the popular vote should win the election!

And the dems are trying to use voter fraud to win even more electoral college points, keeping dead people in states like Florida and Arizona on the records!

Xcellere

He isn't going to win the election fairly you know. Just heard that this morning. Firstly, Romney is going to win the popular vote, no questions asked, but Obummer has rigged the electoral college so he gets four more years. The person who wins the popular vote should win the election!

And the dems are trying to use voter fraud to win even more electoral college points, keeping dead people in states like Florida and Arizona on the records!

It's like you were trying to embody the gist behind my last post.

Uh, I like Obama and have many black friends, but this is looking pretty bad.

"I have lots of black friends, but I don't mind a good lynching every now and then."

RDreamer

I'm still kind of confused on some of the issues here. From what I understand and read in this very news story the requests for help were issued earlier in the day when the initial mob was happening. They were denied, and the consulate was pretty safe from that attack, as evidenced by the email saying Stevens was in a safe haven and no one being killed there.

When the actual mortar firing happened, later in the day (or I guess early the next morning Libyan time) after a cease fire, there was backup there. A quick response team from Tripoli and a friendly Libyan force had arrived. So, it seems incredibly misleading to put out a big headline about backup being denied when the backup was for the earlier incident and when the event that took lives happened there was backup there.

Effnine

Its a wildly transparent last ditch effort to create controversy - the public doesn't even understand Benghazi in the first place, much less why there's allegedly a conspiracy involved in it. As the administration basically said "yea there was a lot of shit going on" and they certainly might have missed it. That's not really a "conspiracy." There was a lot of shit going on on the ground there and Republicans are trying to play armchair monday morning QB.

Spot on. This has been a non-issue from the start. Every time Romney brought it up in the debates, my reaction is, "Who cares? Why is he bringing this up?"

Colbert had a nice little piece about the whole thing:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/420540/october-24-2012/nonstop-libya-gate-questions

Horns

I stopped reading right there.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Do you think that Gore should have been president in 2000, then?

Ponn

Banned
The person who wins the popular vote should win the election!

I actually agree with this statement here. Can we get our 8 years back under George W. Bush that should have been under Gore?

And technically half of the population of Florida are zombies so its cool if they vote.

RDreamer

People sure are great at detecting sarcasm in this thread.

I think the country has reached a weird tipping point where the partisan divide is so huge and some people are so ridiculously insane that it's kind of hard to tell. We, as a nation, have jumped the shark.

I'm still kind of confused on some of the issues here. From what I understand and read in this very news story the requests for help were issued earlier in the day when the initial mob was happening. They were denied, and the consulate was pretty safe from that attack, as evidenced by the email saying Stevens was in a safe haven and no one being killed there.

When the actual mortar firing happened, later in the day (or I guess early the next morning Libyan time) after a cease fire, there was backup there. A quick response team from Tripoli and a friendly Libyan force had arrived. So, it seems incredibly misleading to put out a big headline about backup being denied when the backup was for the earlier incident and when the event that took lives happened there was backup there.
Could you point to quotes about that, because when I read the Fox story (Yeah I know... Fox), the impression I get is so different from that.

Mengy

Okay hold on, I'm not seeing this on any other news sites. It's only appearing on Fox news. If this was actual news, wouldn't other sites be picking it up as well?

Loudninja

Okay hold on, I'm not seeing this on any other news sites. It's only appearing on Fox news. If this was actual news, wouldn't other sites be picking it up as well?
It always like this, its Fox they are very very misleading on all their stories.

If you're writing an article like this though, I really need to see some time stamps, because right now it's just an incoherent mess that barely even tries to accurately explain the timeline.

Pctx

Banned
I think that's Pctx's real goal, he wants to break down preconceived notions of sarcasm as an art house experiment.

I pretty much make Jackson Pollock look like Sesame Street. (Take that Big Bird).

To be fair though, I still don't get how anyone liberal or conservative can basically say this is a non-issue or "people just don't get Libya" as this directly ties to how we are viewed as a nation by our own people. At home or abroad, if it carries an American flag, you treat that land as American soil. If the fight comes to that soil, you had better be ready to defend it against any enemy, foreign or domestic. In this case, it was both.

Mengy

It always like this, its Fox they are very very misleading on all their stories.

But pctx told me everyone else was picking it up too!

Fair and balanced.

Allright, I made my previous post before I knew the situation. Looking at it further, this is only showing up on Fox news, who posted it up just before noon time. I'm betting Pctx heard about it from Rush at noon, and then he ran here to vindicate himself and his crusade against the President armed with an actual news article that Rush told him about. And from looking at the time stamps of when Pctx made this thread (about 12:30 my time), that is exactly how it happened.

So it's just a Fox political smear piece that the right spin engine is trotting out today. Until other news sites, more credible and less biased than Fox, picks this up, it's not news at all.

I saw something similar on Forbes just a little while ago.

LOL, damnit. Well shit, I'm just going to shut up now and wait a day and see how this sorts out. :)

I agree with most that this issues has been blown up larger than it probably should be. But I was disheartened when I read that the U.S. had drones in operation over the site, which would have told them exactly what was going on, and they still failed to act. It's very sad, but I'm not sure I can place the blame on Obama for that.

FStop7

Banned
The sad thing about this thread is that by A) citing Fox when there are credible sources available, B) loading it with insulting hyperbole such as 'if you don't think this is bigger than Watergate then you are literally smoking some potent shit' and C) implying that Leon Panetta is in telepathic communication with you, you have torpedoed what might have been a valuable discussion in the very first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom