• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pennsylvania same-sex marriage ban ruled unconstitutional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darknight

OP thank you for the new Gif. Its glorious just like this news!!

Also my boss is from PA and he is a hard conservative. Holy shit he must be shitting his pants lol.

The other day he was talking to another employee and asked me about that racist dude who owned the basketball team. He basically asked me if it was fair what happened to him which I was like "did he really ask that?" I played dumb and left as quick as I came. Im a minority so for him to ask me that was like WTF.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
As someone living in PA, my facebook feed has been hilarious today. And by hilarious I mean depressing and rage inducing.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
So, Utah, Pennsylvania, and who is the third?

It was Washington but we fixed that back in 2012...Along with gay marriage.

The end of the ruling. Wow.

BoGdkutIMAAk6RL.png

How did I miss that? I don't think I've ever seen such a verbal smack-down in a legal document. Well said, Judge Jones.

Why doesn't the full faith and credit clause matter at all? Seems like if someone was legally married in one state, it should carry over to the next. Unless it already does?

Great to see the dominoes fall. I know someone said it is embarrassing the US has to go through this process to establish a civil right, but despite all of our political issues, it can be a beautiful albeit painful process.

Matter of time before the SCOUTS will step in and just drop the hammer once and for all.

Seth C

So, Utah, Pennsylvania, and who is the third?

Montana is in there. Beer and wine are easy enough to get but alcohol over 16% is only available at state run "package stores". They also make all breweries close very early, like 8pm, even on the weekend. And bidding on a license to sell alcohol can end up costing a million dollars.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So gay marriage is now legal in all the non-crap states that intelligent and rational people may wish to reside in, aside from Colorado?

Yeah, sorry about Colorado. It's legal in Colorado in all but name, which is obviously still extremely important for many reasons. We even have complete discrimination protections for both sexual orientation and gender identity which some states with legal same sex marriage don't have, including Pennsylvania.

The only way to go any further is to either do another expensive ballot initiative fight, or be like everyone else and just do the court challenge. So this court challenge is what we're waiting for. Unfortunately we have a republican attorney general who's going to do whatever he can to fight for the ban, so who knows how long the case will take.

I would assume most of these cases will be wrapped up in 2-3 years right? How long can challenges like these take?

Quick, has any PA straight gaffer's marriages suddenly fallen apart? Have wives and husbands suddenly turned gay?

Didn't think so.
I'm breaking up with my girlfriend now because my relationship really has no upward mobility. If the gays can get married, then what's next? Soon marriage will have degraded into something it was never intended to be. A heterosexual marriage just seems less special now.

lulz

Andrew J.

We demonstrably aren't.

I wonder what effect this will have on pending litigation before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. I hope those cases don't get thrown out for mootness, and that the state court makes a similar ruling that makes a federal appeal pointless.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Quick, has any PA straight gaffer's marriages suddenly fallen apart? Have wives and husbands suddenly turned gay?

Didn't think so.

Maybe not, but I bet there are a good number of gay couples about to fall apart now that "it's illegal" is no longer a valid excuse to not commit to marriage.

Yeah, sorry about Colorado. It's legal in Colorado in all but name, which is obviously still extremely important for many reasons. We even have complete discrimination protections for both sexual orientation and gender identity which some states with legal same sex marriage don't have, including Pennsylvania.

The only way to go any further is to either do another expensive ballot initiative fight, or be like everyone else and just do the court challenge. So this court challenge is what we're waiting for. Unfortunately we have a republican attorney general who's going to do whatever he can to fight for the ban, so who knows how long the case will take.

I would assume most of these cases will be wrapped up in 2-3 years right? How long can challenges like these take?
I say next term (starting in october) they have 4 votes for cert and its already in the appeals courts which we'll get a decision on soon which leaves open only a supreme court appeal. And you know Kennedy needs to reup his 'moderate' rep before delivering stupid some of his other stupid opinions

I wish it wouldn't have taken a court ruling but with the shit head governor we have there was no other way to make it happen sooner. Polls showed the majority of Pennsylvanians were pro-gay marriage.

Andrew J.

When someone says "You're better than that", "that" refers to the thing the subject is currently doing, and the phrase is typically aspirational rather than descriptive.

I was tempted to make some kind of joke at the expense of Philadelphia, but Jon Stewart just did a much better job at that tonight.

Eric C

The end of the ruling. Wow.
H9fBvdU.png

How did I miss this in the thread earlier? Out of all these recent rulings from this past year, I think this might be my favorite part from any of them.

"We are a better people than what these laws represent, and it is time to discard them into the ash heap of history."

Damn.

That's two in one week, with Oregon. The dominoes are falling faster and faster. I figured things would move quickly after the SCOTUS ruling, but this is much faster than I had expected.

the speed has really been amazing. i am fully supportive of gay marriage, but there is a part of me that sympathizes with older, small c conservative people who arent malicious or homophobic but just skeptical of change and feel like this has all happened incredibly quickly. because compared to other human rights campaigns throughout history it really has happened quickly.

i dont mean to suggest this is anything other than great news. i witnessed the difficulties that a lack of federal recognition causes up close and personal when a friend of mine fell in love with (and married) someone but still had immigration issues since his husband was not american. sad, but they have made it work so far and it seems like there may be a light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Of course. The South will never have gay marriage without a federal law forcing them too.

im not an expert like some people in this thread, but my impression is that there will likely be a supreme court ruling on this in the coming term which would make gay marriage legal (or bans unconstitutional) in all remaining states. even if it doesnt happen immediately, it is quite likely to be resolved through the courts.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It was Washington but we fixed that back in 2012...Along with gay marriage.

How did I miss that? I don't think I've ever seen such a verbal smack-down in a legal document. Well said, Judge Jones.

I dunno. You should read his ruling on Kitzmiller vs Dover Area School District. Shit be getting called out.

Congrats, da gays! I hope for you all to have horrible, despicable sex like the rest of us "till death do you part" folks soon enough..gawd speed!

Eric C

Alright PA! For once I can be proud to be a Pennsylvanian.

So is that it then? Game set match? Or can this be challenged again?
As I understand it.

Republican Governor Corbett, was already forced hire private attorneys to defend it. Because the Democratic Attorney General previously said she and her office wasn't going to defend it. BUT he hired those attorneys before and during the Republican primary where he, the incumbent Governor, could've been challenged from the right by a fellow Republican. Just now, the same day this ruling came out, the Republican primary election is now over.

According to polls gay marriage has majority support in PA. Also according to polls incumbent Republican Governor Corbett is tanking.

The question now is what will Governor Corbett do?

Will he not appeal this decision, to end this issue and hopefully in his eyes have a better chance at the general election in November? Or will he realize November is a lost cause no matter what he does, and appeal this decision to drag it out as long as he can while he still has the power to do so?

They have 30 days to file an appeal.
The Democratic Attorney General already said she wasn't going to appeal it.
The Republican Governor hasn't said one way or the other YET.

Hopefully I summarized the situation correctly.

Corbett still hasn't stated whether he'll appeal, or even ask for a stay.

It's ok, because in a few months Tom Wolf will be in office and then it's moot.

Anyway, one of the cooler things that happened yesterday is that City Hall in Philly stayed open extra hours to allow for people to get their marriage certificates.

ivysaur12

Banned
ACLU tweeted that Corbett would NOT appeal the ban, then deleted it. Could be that they wanted to let Corbett say it himself. Or not.

slit

ACLU tweeted that Corbett would NOT appeal the ban, then deleted it. Could be that they wanted to let Corbett say it himself. Or not.

If he doesn't maybe he's resigned himself to not getting a second term because I can't imagine that going over well with the hee-haw gangs that dwell in the central part of the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom