• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pennsylvania same-sex marriage ban ruled unconstitutional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

I might cry.

tumblr_n3e28dOWNE1rci1ivo5_400.gif

The other cool thing about this is PA has Quaker marriage licenses which are self-uniting, so you don't even need to get an official/priest to sign off on the things. You can get the quaker license, sign it, and it's official.

dabig2

So that's the whole northeast and west coast.

Yep, but the Midwest and south will be a challenge - as always - to drag into the 21st century. The Supreme Court can't sit idly by for long now while half of the country is supporting rights and the other half is discarding them.

Yep, but the Midwest and south will be a challenge - as always - to drag into the 21st century. The Supreme Court can't sit idly by for long now while half of the country is supporting rights and the other half is discarding them.

Midwest is coming along nicely with the exception of Indiana, the butthole of the midwest (congratulations, Ohio, you have been upgraded!). They will try again in Wyoming but it will fail.

CDX

Here is Governor Corbett's statement:

"I have thoroughly reviewed Judge Jones' opinion ... Given the high legal threshold set forth by Judge Jones in this case, the case is extremely unlikely to succeed on appeal. Therefore, after review of the opinion and on the advice of my Commonwealth legal team, I have decided not to appeal Judge Jones' decision.

"As a Roman Catholic, the traditional teaching of my faith has not wavered. I continue to maintain the belief that marriage is between one man and one woman. My duties as Governor require that I follow the laws as interpreted by the Courts and make a judgment as to the likelihood of a successful appeal.

"Throughout the debate on this important and meaningful issue, I have maintained that Commonwealth officials and agencies would follow the provisions of Pennsylvania's marriage law unless or until a court says otherwise. The court has spoken, and I will ensure that my administration follows the provisions of Judge Jones' order with respect for all parties.

"It is my hope that as the important issue of same-sex relationships continues to be addressed in our society, that all involved be treated with respect."

Snake

I'm really starting to believe that the Court will make it nationwide soon. I've been bracing myself for a less expansive outcome for a while, but you can almost feel it in the air now. It really is happening.gif

Paskil

Here is Governor Corbett's statement:

"I have thoroughly reviewed Judge Jones' opinion ... Given the high legal threshold set forth by Judge Jones in this case, the case is extremely unlikely to succeed on appeal. Therefore, after review of the opinion and on the advice of my Commonwealth legal team, I have decided not to appeal Judge Jones' decision.

"As a Roman Catholic, the traditional teaching of my faith has not wavered. I continue to maintain the belief that marriage is between one man and one woman. My duties as Governor require that I follow the laws as interpreted by the Courts and make a judgment as to the likelihood of a successful appeal.

"Throughout the debate on this important and meaningful issue, I have maintained that Commonwealth officials and agencies would follow the provisions of Pennsylvania's marriage law unless or until a court says otherwise. The court has spoken, and I will ensure that my administration follows the provisions of Judge Jones' order with respect for all parties.

"It is my hope that as the important issue of same-sex relationships continues to be addressed in our society, that all involved be treated with respect."

It's funny, because reading through the ruling, the state didn't even make a viable defense as to why the law could be defensible under a rational basis, much less the heightened scrutiny that was applied.

The entire Northeast of the country has legal gay marriage, and it couldn't have been done without Rick Santorum (hand-selecting and supporting the judge who eventually struck the ban) and Tom Corbett (not appealing).

#northbeast

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
It's funny, because reading through the ruling, the state didn't even make a viable defense as to why the law could be defensible under a rational basis, much less the heightened scrutiny that was applied.

Exactly! At least he's not going to waste any more time on it by appealing.

Congrats PA! I live in Arkansas. Hopefully the stay we're currently under ends when the appeal dies, but I don't know how long that's gonna last. I had several friends who got married in the time from when the ban was ruled unconstitutional to when the stay pending appeal was levied.

Monocle

The entire Northeast of the country has legal gay marriage, and it couldn't have been done without Rick Santorum (hand-selecting and supporting the judge who eventually struck the ban) and Tom Corbett (not appealing).

#northbeast
Loooooool. Let's savor the irony together.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I wonder how Rick feels about the Judge he recommended ruling for gay marriage and against intelligent design.

Wilsongt

Not our fault they crammed so much shit into that corner of the country.

Well, you have to deal with earthquakes, lots of rain in Washington, or drought, while we on the east coast have hurricanes, tornadoes, snow, and Republicans. At least in the south.

CDX

Sorry but the entire best coast has already had legalized same-sex marriage for literally days.

#BestCoast

#BestCoast had too many state constitutional amendments restricting marriage rights.
No state in the NorthEast ever passed a state constitutional amendment restricting marriage rights.

WU6aM68.gif

Dg4iUof.png

Sorry but
NorthEast > BestCoast
:)

Although practically a law vs an amendment made virtually no difference, and had to be overturned the same way via the courts

Wilsongt

#BestCoast had too many state constitutional amendments restricting marriage rights.
No state in the NorthEast ever passed a state constitutional amendment restricting marriage rights.

WU6aM68.gif

Dg4iUof.png

Sorry but
NorthEast > BestCoast
:)

Although practically a law vs an amendment made virtually no difference, and had to be overturned the same way via the courts

Look at all that red during the Bush years...

tw1164

Just a quick side note, The Corbett Administration has spent about $588k on legal fees. He'll complain about having no money for the budget then try to cut education program funding.

boiled goose

good with gravy
If u are religiously opposed to gay marriage it does not follow why you would impose it on others. Don't the religious right acknowledge the constitution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom