• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

Haha, what a hypertrophic ego this Ocean asshole must have. This Dave guy and Mike look so civilzed in this argument in comparison.

Note to myself: Never buy anything from these suckers.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Mike said:
Please remove me from this mailing list
Paul "The Douchebag" Christoforo said:
Your spamming me you’re not on a mailing list you idiot ! You sent me an email remember .

:lol

You can always tell someone is full of it when they namedrop like that.

Edit: Oh yeah, could someone rehost a picture of their product. I want to see it but but don't want to contribute a hit. Thanks.

Edit 2: Also maybe this should be in the gaming forum?

Honestly, everyone in this exchange comes across poorly. PR man for being fucking terrible at PR, Dave for losing his shit, and Gabe for appealing to his own authority. Really now, children!

Pretty much. I always enjoy Mike's little internet squabbles but he never comes across all that great.

aku:jiki

LOL! What a fucking loser. Hmm, Penny Arcade or some chunk of plastic? I wonder who'll win?
Haha! He has 125+ employees, that's totally why he's doing customer service e-mails himself and even doing floor-level promoting at a "nothing show" like PAX like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIAQ4-TBC1A

Also, WTF is this product? It looks fucking retarded. Why would you need huge levers and shit so you can reload on the move in CoD? You shouldn't even be reloading on the move, you'll be killed!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I don't understand what I'm even looking at.

TheHomer.png

Chris_C

Honestly, everyone in this exchange comes across poorly. PR man for being fucking terrible at PR, Dave for losing his shit, and Gabe for appealing to his own authority. Really now, children!

I'm generally very sensitive about speaking to customer service agents with respect, but I disagree that he came across poorly. If anything he exercised extreme restraint when his question about the arrival date for a product he paid for 2 months ago was met with "Dec 16th".

koji

Oh man, Mike better watch out, this dude knows people who run Boston. Shit.

Way to do business. smh.

Cheerilee

Corporate guy seems pretty awful, but his responses don't seem *that* out of line with things the customer said/did first.

"I'll cancel my preorders and use the apology coupon to get a discount" -> "That's against the rules and we're backordered so you wouldn't get any if you tried that"

"I'll email my favorite media outlets. Welcome to the internet, bitch" -> "Nobody will listen to you because you're just a little kid and I'm a big shot, bitch"

Then Mike decided to "calm" the situation by banning corporate guy from PAX, getting into a pissing match, telling him he's going to write an article about him, and then demanding that he stop talking only *after* his head apparently cools and he asks for peace?

Just to reiterate, this corporate guy seems like a grade-A douche who has no place running a company let alone working PR or customer service, but it seems like *everybody* could've handled that a fair bit better.

As I posted in the thread gaming-side, everyone comes off poorly in this exchange. Dave (WITH A V!) comes across as a petulant manchild, the PR rep is just terrible, and the Penny Arcade dude appeals to his own authority. It's a clusterfuck of stupid.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Just FYI, it looks like this is the PR company for the Avenger, not the actual product makers themselves. Backpedaling incoming.

AMUSIX

Well, just cancelled my small store's order of these. The product is good, and does exactly what it says, but I cannot in good conscience sell something from a company that treats its customers this way.

Yeah, Dave's PS was a mistake on his part, but even if you go with everything above that email, this is a company I simply would not do business with.

Oh man, I initially ignored Gabe's tweet when the link just led to a big wall of email text. I'm glad I finally read it.

This Ocean Marketing guy might as well be a crook when he's not explaining when the product is going to be shipped in his very first reply to the customer's question. It took him way too long to fess up when the customer was going to get the items he paid for in advance. And the marketing guy got really hostile when his customer suggested he might cancel his order and place it again so he could take advantage of a new discount. The customer was being super civil up until the Marketing dude decided to start mocking him. Ocean dude should have thanked him the customer up and down, that he was even still considering doing business with their tardy-ass company.

I think this Ocean Marketing guy is putting too much faith in his relationships with the blogs and game sites. Gamers, enthusiast press and decent people in general don't like bullies. His product isn't Call of Duty or Mario, it's a little niche piece of plastic. There's no need for these blogs and sites to give this jerk free advertisement. And the people that would be aware and interested in a niche product like this are very likely to be in tune to stuff like Penny Arcade. He should have been more careful. IMO, he should consider a new job where he doesn't have to interact with customers. He obviously can't handle it. Dude's way too aggressive towards people that gave him money alreay, I can't imagine how he'd treat people who aren't his customers. And he mentions that he has a kid, yikes.

AMUSIX

Corporate guy seems pretty awful, but his responses don't seem *that* out of line with things the customer said/did first.

"I'll cancel my preorders and use the apology coupon to get a discount" -> "That's against the rules and we're backordered so you wouldn't get any if you tried that"

"I'll email my favorite media outlets. Welcome to the internet, bitch" -> "Nobody will listen to you because you're just a little kid and I'm a big shot, bitch"

Then Mike decided to "calm" the situation by banning corporate guy from PAX, getting into a pissing match, telling him he's going to write an article about him, and then demanding that he stop talking only *after* his head apparently cools and he asks for peace?

Just to reiterate, this corporate guy seems like a grade-A douche who has no place running a company let alone working PR or customer service, but it seems like *everybody* could've handled that a fair bit better.

The first several responses from the PR guy were horrible, and were way out of line. He knowingly lied to Dave and ignored the questions being asked. I understand Dave's frustration by the time the company's site changed to offer $10 off to any new orders.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I love how he just keeps digging that hole... Going from the inability to be nice to a single customer to probably bringing down his whole company's reputation.

So... what's it got to do with Penny Arcade? If I read Hooters, should I write to them if one of the games I ordered doesn't turn up?

Cheerilee

The first several responses from the PR guy were horrible, and were way out of line. He knowingly lied to Dave and ignored the questions being asked. I understand Dave's frustration by the time the company's site changed to offer $10 off to any new orders.

Corporate guy didn't have the answers the customer wanted, but he did seem to basically convey all the info he had at the time, he just didn't say anything to explain the info or soften the bad news.

(no longer "early" December)
"Any chance of getting an update of when these items will ship?"
"Dec 17"

(After Dec 17)
"Can you clarify whether my particular order already sent?"
"They still haven’t shipped yet on the way here from china"

"Is it going to miss Christmas?"
"In USA customs now, don't know if it'll miss Christmas"

When his company did have solid answers, they apparently updated their site and offered a weak apology coupon.

He's pretty terrible at customer service and PR, but I don't think he was *that far* out of line until the others started going there too.

big_z

If he has 125+ employees, doesn't that make him CEO?

Bitch

Ocean Marketing isnt the company that makes the controller thing. they're a for hire advertising place that appears to be just one guy, this asshole paul. reading the website i imagine this guy used to work for a firm but got fired for being a POS and started his own at home business.

So, is that guy supposed to be the company's end-consumer mouthpiece?

Because, um. He's pretty goddamn terrible at it.

Wasn't going to buy, won't be buying, will be sharing, all that fun stuff.

Also, there is such a thing as bad publicity.

Bernbaum

To clarify, do not take this out on the makers of the Avenger, N-Control.

This is the result of the poor work of Paul Christoforo and Ocean Marketing.

What would make my day would be if Penny Arcade helped out N-Control and helped in some way to hook them up with a half-decent PR company. They're trying to do something noble like make controls for handicapped kids for chrissakes.

Just imagine, all of this could have been avoided with a $10 credit :lol

oh and

https://twitter.com/#!/ScottLowe/status/151594656700973056

lmao

Lol. This guy is going to sell 4 of these controllers because people are going to mistake them for sex toys and then run out of business. Sounds like a pathological liar. Highly doubt he knows even 10% of the people he 'name-dropped.' He probably used a urinal after CliffyB and thinks they're best friends because of it.

AMUSIX

Corporate guy didn't have the answers the customer wanted, but he did seem to basically convey all the info he had at the time, he just didn't say anything to explain the info or soften the bad news.

(no longer "early" December)
"Any chance of getting an update of when these items will ship?"
"Dec 17"
That answer was sent on December 16th, so he was knowingly lying to Dave, since he was aware that the product hadn't even arrived from China.

(After Dec 17)
"Can you clarify whether my particular order already sent?"
"They still haven’t shipped yet on the way here from china"
It honestly took me three reads to understand what he was saying. Originally it looked as if he said that they hadn't even shipped from China, making the email the following day about it being in US customs look even more absurd.

"Is it going to miss Christmas?"
"In USA customs now, don't know if it'll miss Christmas"

When his company did have solid answers, they apparently updated their site and offered a weak apology coupon.

He's pretty terrible at customer service and PR, but I don't think he was *that far* out of line until the others started going there too.

The coupon wasn't an apology...it wasn't for the people who had already paid and been waiting. It was a ridiculous slap in the face for those people.

So Dave says "what the hell...why don't I just cancel my order and rebuy my two controllers for $20 less?" which is an absolutely valid thing to ask. This response, however, is WAY out of line:
...so put on your big boy hat and wait it out like everyone else. The benefit is a token of our appreaciation for everyone no one is special including you or any first time buyer . Feel free to cancel we need the units were back ordered 11,000 units so your 2 will be gone fast. Maybe I’ll put them on eBay for 150.00 myself. Have a good day Dan.

So, yeah, Dave lost it after this response, but this is after a company took his money, failed to meet their promise of an 'early December' deadline, then lied to him, then failed to deliver any useful dates with Christmas coming, and then offered discounts to other customers.

Top Bottom