• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Dreadful |OT| League of Extraordinary Gentleman, Take 2 - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

Man, just watching the trailer, can Alan Moore sue them?

Its like they pitched a LoEG TV show and failed to get the rights, so made a knock off.

I don't see how. The idea of combining several older characters wasn't invented by Moore/ The show uses different charcters too and it's horror themed, while League was adventure.

Plus Moore bassicaly wrote a fanfiction, pretty hard to sue anybody for doing the same.

Kevin

Wow the trailer looks sick.
But is it particulary scary? I admit i'm a bit of a wuss :'(

Not really scary. I mean there is sort of a little cheese/campiness to this series. Sort of. Hard to explain but I personally didn't find it at all scary.

Kevin

I think this show looks a lot more interesting then most horror films coming out these days. All we get in terms of horror films now are found footage films that usually center on a haunting or possession. This show seems to go back to what made horror films great. With actual scary monsters and plot elements. Really high hopes for this show after seeing the pilot episode.

Philippo

One or two jumpscares. Otherwise it's just a little creepy.

That's it, i'm out.
fonzie-o.gif

vio

Vampires were really weak and monster was terrible.
Everything else looked great. Eva Green and Timothy Dalton are great from start.

Kevin

Vampires were really weak and monster was terrible.
Everything else looked great. Eva Green and Timothy Dalton are great from start.

Yeah I agree there. Budget seems good enough so I do expect to see some awesome monster designs as the show moves forward. Hoping it gets picked up for a bigger season 2 though. 8 episodes is a small amount when you only get them once a year.

Kevin

So is there any idea of what kind of monsters/creatures we can expect to see in this show at some point? Any guesses?

I wasn't planning on watching this, but I happen to see The Picture of Dorian Gray on TV yesterday, and then I clicked on this thread and saw that the character would be in this show, and then I googled the show to watch a trailer, and ended up at the official website where the first episode immediately started playing, and now I'm planning on watching this.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Much better. I'm also somewhat surprised by how well covered she is.

Eva Green and proper Victorian attire? What is this, I don't even.

Nemesis_

Here for one reason and one reason only

i1qDaq9FU8BVK.gif

Although the team behind this is somewhat good too upon further examination

TheOddOne

- Josh Hartnett on Leaving the Hollywood Machine Behind and Taking on Horror in Penny Dreadful
IGN: Just touching on the Hollywood system and expectations for your career, I mean, that is interesting. I interviewed Billy Bob Thornton for FX's Fargo yesterday, and he said, "The stories that mid-range, interesting films were telling are now on TV." Is that your experience as well?

Hartnett: I think so. I don't really know about the economics of it. I couldn't speak to what each studio's making right now, but it does seem like those middle-budget films have disappeared, except around November/December release a few of them come out. Obviously they're hoping for awards, and from those awards, the economic rewards. But I think people are getting a lot of their dramatic content on television now.
Sounds like the devide between Indie and Triple AAA gaming.
IGN: In terms of the brand of horror that this show is tapping in to, John Logan said one of his goals was not so much to scare, but to disturb. Is that something you think about when you're working, the tone of the piece?

Hartnett: I don't think about how my character would react in terms of the tone of the overall piece, no. But I do appreciate that he's going after that particular tone as opposed to the "Let's put in some really sharp strings here, and we'll do some sort of jump cut. It's going to scare people because we're just doing something physical with the work." The fact that the characters are driving the emotional disturbance, as he said, is much more interesting to watch and much more interesting to play as well, because it's all about the characters.

I want to say I'd watch Eva Green in anything but then I'd have to watch that mediocre-looking 300 sequel.

Thankfully, the pilot was really good. Alongside Masters of Sex, maybe there's some hope for Showtime yet.

I want to say I'd watch Eva Green in anything but then I'd have to watch that mediocre-looking 300 sequel.

Thankfully, the pilot was really good. Alongside Masters of Sex, maybe there's some hope for Showtime yet.

well there a good sex scene involving her in it. Otherwise movie was very meh.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the episode this sunday is the same as the pilot on youtube correct?

Really enjoyed the first episode. Definitely in the vein of NBC's Dracula. The production values seemed spot on. Eva Green and Timothy Dalton were both marvelous. Dalton, in particular, had a couple of really strong scenes -- especially his meeting with
Victor Frankenstein.
The ending scene was such a beautiful moment. I'm definitely on board for the season.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Is Dalton playing an heroic character or a more morally gray one? He can do both fine, but I find him delightful when he gets his mits on a veritable slimebag like in Hot Fuzz.

Is Dalton playing an heroic character or a more morally gray one? He can do both fine, but I find him delightful when he gets his mits on a veritable slimebag like in Hot Fuzz.

He's a hero, but a hero who's willing to murder the world to accomplish his goals.

Levi

Banned
If referring to the public domain source material (e.g. The books of Mary Shelley, Oscar Wilde and Bram Stoker) will I have to use spoiler tags?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Welp, it looks like I have another show to follow. Both Eva Green and Dalton were appropriately badass and the plot seems interesting enough, even if I would have preferred a Swiss Frankenstein. One thing is for sure: this show doesn't shy away from the gory bits. That vampire lair looked as lifted straight up from a White Wolf game.

Showtime is doing a free preview weekend on most carriers, so that's another way for people to catch the premiere if they haven't already.

Much better. I'm also somewhat surprised by how well covered she is.

Eva Green and proper Victorian attire? What is this, I don't even.

It'll make the inevitable bursting out of Victorian attire all the more sexy.

She's worth watching 300 for. She makes that film.

kaskade

The first episode is up on demand on optimum. I'm sure it's on the other providers too if anyone wants to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom