• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People need to remember who Hideki Kamiya is (Resident Evil, Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe)

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
One of the last truly legendary active visionaries and developers in gaming.

Let's take a second to appreciate his work.

222493312.png

YearGameRole
1996Resident EvilSystem planner
Arthur to Astaroth no Nazomakaimura: Incredible ToonsPlanner
1998Resident Evil 2Director
2001Devil May CryDirector, story
2002Resident Evil ZeroOriginal game design
2003Viewtiful JoeDirector
2004Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Trials and TribulationsJapanese voice of Godot
Viewtiful Joe 2Story
2005Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble!
2006ŌkamiDirector, story
2009Bayonetta
2013The Wonderful 101
2014Bayonetta 2Supervisor, story
Cancelled[a]ScaleboundDirector, story
2019Astral ChainSupervisor
2021World of Demons
2022Sol Cresta[59][60]Creative director, story
Bayonetta 3[61]Executive director, story
TBA

Project G.G.[62]
Director

Banned
This was pretty meh and 30fps. They have to do better than this.

pretty meh? this game has the most interesting fighting system of the last 10 to 15 years, and it plays well even at 30fps on a tabled sized console. I feel this as a massive win, and I am certainly not alone in this.

sure having it on a better console to make 60fps possible would be preferable but still, what they pushed out was great

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
He has been associated to too much bad press in recent years, and PG certainly haven't been that impressive with their last games.
I'm not sure sure what you're talking about because I don't follow these things other than the recent Bayonetta pay thing,

but the quality of his games is amazing, and Bayonetta 3 will be as well, which is all that's important to me while I'm playing.

kunonabi

People can say this while for the past year throwing an absolute fit about Mario’s voice actor not being cast in the movie lol
Not to mention when Frank West's, Snake's, Travis Touchdown's VAs, etc. we're replaced or in danger of being replaced it was perfectly fine to be upset. Now it conveniently doesnt matter and voice work in video games isn't important at all.

Last edited:

Banned
People can say this while for the past year throwing an absolute fit about Mario’s voice actor not being cast in the movie lol

it's a bit different isn't it? Martinet voices what is essentially the Mickey Mouse of video games, in fact Mickey Mouse has fallen behind Mario in popularity a long time ago.
meanwhile Bayonetta is a game series with 2 released entries that are mediocrely popular at best and only played by a small subsection of hardcore gamers.

so we are comparing THE BIGGEST video game character of all time... vs. a character from an almost failing game series.

Martinet voiced Mario since the 90s in dozens of highly successful games. he voiced him on an E3 Booth where he interacted with people on the show floor live using a 3D animated Mario on a screen. and he also voices dozens of other characters in the Mario titles.
he also created the Mario voice as we know it, the way Mario talks was entirely a creation of his... he basically was part of makin Mario who he is.
he is in the Guinness Book of World Records for voicing the same character in more than 100 game releases

meanwhile Hellena Taylor got the VA director's directions to sound like a posh british lady and did that pretty well for 2 games (plus voice samples for Smash I guess)

TLDR: this isn't comparable.

(also Martinet is in the Mario movie where he will apparently have multiple cameo voices)

Last edited:

FUBARx89

Holy shit, he directed RE2 (I thought that was all Mikami) AND the original Devil Mary Cry?

Hellena pls go

hzQ76GZ.gif

Naw. Mikami was producer for RE2 and constantly fought with Kamiya about it and tried to influence the dev team to how he wanted RE2.

He eventually stopped and demanded to see the game once a month & that was it.

Reallink

HOT TAKE: Voice acting in silly games like Bayonetta isn't hard and the low pay isn't that big of a deal.

It wasn't even low pay, they were paying her like $250 hour. There just weren't that many hours, there aren't a lot of lines in an action. Woman has delusions of grandeur, thinking a videogame VA deserves many 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars for 15-20 hours of booth work. News flash, you're not a celebrity voicing a Disney movie.

The people defending this woman are fucking retarded, 90% of them probably make less than $15/hour stanning for somebody making $250. Same deal with the Jason Shreier brigrade wailing about crunch for people earning $120,000/yr+in cushy offices with juice bars and nap corners. Brains so smooth you could play hockey on them.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

One of the last truly legendary active visionaries and developers in gaming.

Let's take a second to appreciate his work.

222493312.png

YearGameRole
1996Resident EvilSystem planner
Arthur to Astaroth no Nazomakaimura: Incredible ToonsPlanner
1998Resident Evil 2Director
2001Devil May CryDirector, story
2002Resident Evil ZeroOriginal game design
2003Viewtiful JoeDirector
2004Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Trials and TribulationsJapanese voice of Godot
Viewtiful Joe 2Story
2005Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble!
2006ŌkamiDirector, story
2009Bayonetta
2013The Wonderful 101
2014Bayonetta 2Supervisor, story
Cancelled[a]ScaleboundDirector, story
2019Astral ChainSupervisor
2021World of Demons
2022Sol Cresta[59][60]Creative director, story
Bayonetta 3[61]Executive director, story
TBA

Project G.G.[62]
Director

not-worthy.gif

Arachnid

Naw. Mikami was producer for RE2 and constantly fought with Kamiya about it and tried to influence the dev team to how he wanted RE2.

He eventually stopped and demanded to see the game once a month & that was it.
Good. I don't want to attribute that survival horror RE goodness to anyone but Mikami.

Between DMC, Bayonetta, V Joe, and Astral Chain though, Kamiya knows his cracked out action. I'll give him that. Surprisingly, I always thought he made Vanquish too. Turns out that's actually Mikami.

Kataploom

Gold Member
WTF is this thread? Why on earth am I agreeing with a GigaBowser GigaBowser post?

Visionary or not, the man is great for this job, the only problem I see with him is that his artistic vision (characters, story, dialogs, etc.) are way too outdated and seem like trying to appeal some darky teenargers from early 2000s, but to be quite honest I like that from him, it's just not good for marketing 🤷‍♂️

Majukun

him and miyamoto are there in my hall of fame of videogame directors...this being said,w101 didn't attract me that much, nor did sol cresta

and i'm still pissed at him that he has not directed bayo 2 and 3

Saucy Papi

It wasn't even low pay, they were paying her like $250 hour. There just weren't that many hours, there aren't a lot of lines in an action. Woman has delusions of grandeur, thinking a videogame VA deserves many 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars for 15-20 hours of booth work. News flash, you're not a celebrity voicing a Disney movie.

The people defending this woman are fucking retarded, 90% of them probably make less than $15/hour stanning for somebody making $250. Same deal with the Jason Shreier brigrade wailing about crunch for people earning $120,000/yr+in cushy offices with juice bars and nap corners. Brains so smooth you could play hockey on them.
Oh wow, so she would only do 15-20 hours worth of work? I'd kill for that pay.

Top Bottom