• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People need to remember who Hideki Kamiya is (Resident Evil, Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe)

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
He’s been involved in some great games

The way he comes across on twitter on occasion he strikes me as the kind of guy who would fart up your nose and be insulted that you gagged
hVh3fA7.jpg

Griffon

He's a legend.

But that's just that: he's a legend from another era, and was supported by incredible teammates that managed to make his whack ideas look good, sometimes hitting pure gold in the process.

Today he's not so hot (nobody could've made the W101 concept into an appealing game), and his new game is gonna be another bomb.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
He's a legend.

But that's just that: he's a legend from another era, and was supported by incredible teammates that managed to make his whack ideas look good, sometimes hitting pure gold in the process.

Today he's not so hot (nobody could've made the W101 concept into an appealing game), and his new game is gonna be another bomb.
What new game?

Bayonetta 3 is guaranteed to sell over a million copies and will get a metacritic high 80's low 90's and be considered one of the GOTY's.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I actually didn't know he was so integral to RE. Pretty cool.

He has been pretty average lately though. Bad, even. Or maybe it's just the studio that is. He also seems to be a childish asshole.

kuncol02

Banned
Cliff B made history with the cover and 3rd person shooting mechanics in Gears but I'm sure as hell aint considering him one of the best game directors because of this
Cliff B defined what multiplayer shooters are years before Gears.

jigglet

Banned
Pretty much. Hasn't really done anything worthwhile since W101. I was hoping G.G. would be a return to form but Im not sure I care any more.

You want a W101-like game. I want something like Viewtiful Joe.

His best work is non-commercially viable.

And every miss they have, the need to have a smash hit increases. It's going to be a slippery slope.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
He blocks people that tells him they love Bayonetta, what kind of retard is this? totally disrespectful toward his fanbase. He made crazy good games, but the person is stupidly retard.

I was blocked because I said that Okami was an artistic work.

That's why I haven't bought another game of him...

And with that attitude, it doesn't take long for him to go bankrupt.

That attitude bothers me a lot.

Compare with Keiichiro Toyama who made Silent Hill and Gravity Rush, who was always kind to me.... And the Gravity Rush artist even congratulated me on my birthday.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Man, imagine being in Tokyo during the early 90s.

From what I've read, it seems like Mikami, Kamiya, and other legendary directors didn't know anything about actual videogame development. They were hired in and just given creative roles. Can you imagine!?!?! I doubt stuff like that happens these days.

Although Mikami played arcade video games often, his entrance into the industry came by happenstance:

"A friend of mine had found a flyer advertising some kind of job fair-slash-buffet party Capcom was holding at the Hilton and he gave it to me because he knew I liked games. I went mainly because I wanted to eat at the Hilton for free, but once I started talking to Capcom people, really getting in depth about the work they do, I thought it sounded pretty neat. So I applied to both Capcom and Nintendo, and it turned out the second round of interviews for both companies were held on the same day, and I chose Capcom. It's likely for the better because I probably never had a chance with Nintendo."[1]
His application was rejected at the screening process, then approved one week later.[3] He joined Capcom in 1990 as a junior game designer,[3] Mikami and fellow new hires were sent to a warehouse and ordered to "think hard about game design", then left unsupervised for the entire day. After a few months of just doing that, he was suddenly placed on a team and given a leadership position despite knowing nothing about game development.[4]

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
One of the last truly legendary active visionaries and developers in gaming.

Let's take a second to appreciate his work.

222493312.png

YearGameRole
1996Resident EvilSystem planner
Arthur to Astaroth no Nazomakaimura: Incredible ToonsPlanner
1998Resident Evil 2Director
2001Devil May CryDirector, story
2002Resident Evil ZeroOriginal game design
2003Viewtiful JoeDirector
2004Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Trials and TribulationsJapanese voice of Godot
Viewtiful Joe 2Story
2005Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble!
2006ŌkamiDirector, story
2009Bayonetta
2013The Wonderful 101
2014Bayonetta 2Supervisor, story
Cancelled[a]ScaleboundDirector, story
2019Astral ChainSupervisor
2021World of Demons
2022Sol Cresta[59][60]Creative director, story
Bayonetta 3[61]Executive director, story
TBA

Project G.G.[62]
Director
I do know him.

He is one of the most arrogant and hateful person in the industry.

Perhaps, i will not deny that in the 90s and 2010 he made good games, but the last games were disastrous, I can assure you that Platinum Games will soon go bankrupt.

Last edited:

SSfox

Man, imagine being in Tokyo during the early 90s.

From what I've read, it seems like Mikami, Kamiya, and other legendary directors didn't know anything about actual videogame development. They were hired in and just given creative roles. Can you imagine!?!?! I doubt stuff like that happens these days.

Although Mikami played arcade video games often, his entrance into the industry came by happenstance:

His application was rejected at the screening process, then approved one week later.[3] He joined Capcom in 1990 as a junior game designer,[3] Mikami and fellow new hires were sent to a warehouse and ordered to "think hard about game design", then left unsupervised for the entire day. After a few months of just doing that, he was suddenly placed on a team and given a leadership position despite knowing nothing about game development.[4]

They didn't know anything about gaming development, but they were passionate about games, and that's what matter most. Nowadays you can be nobody and dislike gaming and you can be allowed to consult into big games in big company (like that crazy woman Anita), bullshit like this didn't exist back then. That's why you have so many shitty games despite they cost millions, meanwhile you have a masterpiece like Plague Tales made by unknown somebody come out of nowhere.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

He also doesn't give a shit about his English speaking fans and especially not the English speaking fans of Bayonetta.

But sure, give the man who spits on you his flowers.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
He also doesn't give a shit about his English speaking fans and especially not the English speaking fans of Bayonetta.

But sure, give the man who spits on you his flowers.
People should be more worried about his games than how they interact with him online. He makes games for a living, he's not your rent-a-buddy.

Weird how people think like this these days.

kiphalfton

And the best blocker on Twitter

Honestly it's the smart thing to do. Why would you not block idiots on Twitter?

... Better yet why would you use twitter?

People should be more worried about his games than how they interact with him online. He makes games for a living, he's not your rent-a-buddy.

Weird how people think like this these days.

Cuz people like to be placated.

Honestly all the bitching here about SJW's expecting statements from companies when they do something wrong... but people here are no different, where they expect devs to be their butt buddy.

Last edited:
Honestly it's the smart thing to do. Why would you not block idiots on Twitter?

... Better yet why would you use twitter?
Don't go on twitter than if you can't handle some criticism

IF this was Activision they'll be a 100% universal outcry, but because its santly Nintendo and everyone fav overrated developer, the backlash is split

nkarafo

His past games were better. He never topped RE2 and the original DMC. Still, those games alone make him a respectable creator.

Top Bottom