• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People need to remember who Hideki Kamiya is (Resident Evil, Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe)

Puscifer

Holy shit, he directed RE2 (I thought that was all Mikami) AND the original Devil Mary Cry?

Hellena pls go

hzQ76GZ.gif
You do know he directed it so well they had to dump it and start over, right?

Hugare

He was only a supervisor

Same with Bayonetta 2

Dude havent directed a game for more than a decade now. And the last great game that he made was Bayonetta in 2008. The other before that was Devil May Cry in 2001

He made some gems, but he shouldnt be considered some of the best, thats for sure

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
He was only a supervisor

Same with Bayonetta 2

Dude havent directed a game for more than a decade now. And the last great game that he made was Bayonetta in 2008. The other before that was Devil May Cry in 2001

He made some gems, but he shouldnt be considered some of the best, thats for sure
Even trying to downplay his achievements, you just listed two of the best action games ever, and are saying "he shouldn't be considered some (?) of the best"?

huh-confused.gif

Hugare

Even trying to downplay his achievements, you just listed two of the best action games ever, and are saying "he shouldn't be considered some (?) of the best"?

huh-confused.gif
Yes

Making 2 gems 20 years ago can be considered lighting in a bottle.

It's like saying that Michael Cimino is as good as a director as Scorsese because he made a terrific movie with "Deer Hunter", ignoring every shit/so/so movie that he's made since then.

When we are talking about "one of the best" , we are talking about the likes of Kojima and Miyamoto, brilliant directors that to this day reinvent themselves and deliver greatness even after decades in the industry.

Cliff B made history with the cover and 3rd person shooting mechanics in Gears but I'm sure as hell aint considering him one of the best game directors because of this

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yes

Making 2 gems 20 years ago can be considered lighting in a bottle.

It's like saying that Michael Cimino is as good as a director as Scorsese because he made a terrific movie with "Deer Hunter", ignoring every shit/so/so movie that he's made since then.

When we are talking about "one of the best" , we are talking about the likes of Kojima and Miyamoto, brilliant directors that to this day reinvent themselves and deliver greatness even after decades in the industry.

Cliff B made history with the cover and 3rd person shooting mechanics in Gears but I'm sure as hell aint considering him one of the best game directors because of this
Only based on your warped tastes not the critics. I'm counting 5 or 6 masterpieces in his resume that he directed, and he has heavy input in all of the games he's involved in. Platinum and Clover are small studios. Going out of your way to discredit a legend smh

cireza

Nah, it was an amazing game and sold quite well. The only real "Bad Press" platinum has had in recent years is the push to GAAS and the utter failure that was Babylon's Fall.
Scalebound ? Granblue ? Kickstarting a port, what a joke...

Babylon Fall was a joke as well. Nier Automata was fine but the engine was pretty shit. Bayo 2 reused à lot of the first game, they made some super average games along these.

They have to do better than this.

Rykan

I don't give a shit who he is. He and Kojima are the two most popular game developers who have the dubious distinction of not having made a single game that I have cared about. Not saying they're bad, just not for me.

Miyazaki on the otherhand kicks both of their asses.
Yea no.

Two of those have made some incredible games in a wide variety of genres. The other guy repackages the same game 5 times.

They are not the same.

What did I miss? What's Kamiya done to upset people?

Kamiya does his typical Kamiya shtick on twitter and blocks people for not speaking in Japanese and asking questions already answered.

Oh and people are blaming him for "lowballing" (Paying the industry standard rates for not unionized voice actors) the former lead actress of Bayonetta 1 and 2.

AKA, a bunch of white knights trying desperately to assume the worst without having the full story.

ungalo

I didn't follow the whole story. Are people shitting on Kamiya for the sake of this voice actress contract or whatever ?

It's really disturbing how voice actors are so revered, it's the same in my country and language i never get it.

Majukun

jesus the twitter mob straight up made him delete his twitter account

I mean he was an ass on twitter anyway (although i did manage to have some interactions with him and never got kamiblock'd)so we don't lose that much...but it's sad seeing all those guys patting themselves on the back for harassing someone out of social media like they made some kind of act of justice.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yea no.

Two of those have made some incredible games in a wide variety of genres. The other guy repackages the same game 5 times.

They are not the same.
They've made incredible games for YOU. Not me. Too much style and flash.

Again, Miyazaki shits on both of them.

so, YEA.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's really disturbing how voice actors are so revered, it's the same in my country and language i never get it.

Its the cult of mediocrity. A lot of people desperately need to feel validated, so they latch onto people associated with things of significance especially if they are "just like them".

They want to feel like they are part of the show.

Sure, he's been a part of some amazing franchises that pushed the medium forward.

On the other hand, that doesn't change the fact that he acts like a giant asshole.

Hugare

Only based on your warped tastes not the critics. I'm counting 5 or 6 masterpieces in his resume that he directed, and he has heavy input in all of the games he's involved in. Platinum and Clover are small studios. Going out of your way to discredit a legend smh
How many of these games are criticaly aclaimed (+90 MC)? (that he directed)

RE 2, DMC, Bayonetta and Okami. And I recognize that they are amazing, love them all.

But he hadnt directed a game as great as those since 2008 (again, not counting your personal judgement, but critical consensus). That's a long ass time.

Same with Mikami, for example, and so many other directors that are stuck in the past.

I'm not downplaying them. Both of them made some of the best games ever, but to me, the best of the best are those who are making masterpieces for decades now.

I would easily put George Miller or Spielberg above Coppola as directors, for example, despite loving the heck out of the Grandfather movies.

Last edited:
One of the last truly legendary active visionaries and developers in gaming.

Let's take a second to appreciate his work.

222493312.png

YearGameRole
1996Resident EvilSystem planner
Arthur to Astaroth no Nazomakaimura: Incredible ToonsPlanner
1998Resident Evil 2Director
2001Devil May CryDirector, story
2002Resident Evil ZeroOriginal game design
2003Viewtiful JoeDirector
2004Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Trials and TribulationsJapanese voice of Godot
Viewtiful Joe 2Story
2005Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble!
2006ŌkamiDirector, story
2009Bayonetta
2013The Wonderful 101
2014Bayonetta 2Supervisor, story
Cancelled[a]ScaleboundDirector, story
2019Astral ChainSupervisor
2021World of Demons
2022Sol Cresta[59][60]Creative director, story
Bayonetta 3[61]Executive director, story
TBA

Project G.G.[62]
Director
Do I have to put up the biker-Kamiya picture again to showcase how badass this dude is? Alright, I'll do it anyway!
gR8H9wLuSIw24F-9PK-dQtOGckXuWBkmMLpAcBauieI.jpg

Viewtiful Joe is extremely overrated.
Fbh Fbh be like:
images

Last edited:

Fbh

But is he a world class voice actor known for not only Bayonetta but also Bayonetta 2, Bayonetta in Smash, Bayonetta in Anarchy Reign and Bayonetta in the anime dub?.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is this about Bayonetta 3?
If so I thought Nintendo was in charge of costs and budget.
Or are we pretending it's nothing to do with them in this circumstance.

SSfox

Is this about Bayonetta 3?
If so I thought Nintendo was in charge of costs and budget.
Or are we pretending it's nothing to do with them in this circumstance.
Apparently Nintendo gave the budget to PG and then PG will chose how to split it how they want.

That being said i do think Nintendo had also their role there.

Last edited:

Neff

Same with Mikami, for example, and so many other directors that are stuck in the past.

Let them stay there. The kind of arcade-style action/adventure games Mikami and Kamiya excel at has somewhat gone out of fashion and become niche, which is fine, it happens. What they should not do is attempt to adhere to modern trends to 'catch up'. It would be a sad state of affairs for two creators whose work was so influential back in the day, and a waste of what they do so well.

Hugare

Let them stay there. The kind of arcade-style action/adventure games Mikami and Kamiya excel at has somewhat gone out of fashion and become niche, which is fine, it happens. What they should not do is attempt to adhere to modern trends to 'catch up'. It would be a sad state of affairs for two creators whose work was so influential back in the day, and a waste of what they do so well.
I agree, to some extent

But not so much. There are many japanese directors doing their own thing, separated from western influences, but not stuck in the past or acting only as producers.

Mikami's last directed game was The Evil Within in 2014, and it had the same gameplay from RE 4 (not exactly, 'cause it was worse than that, imo). The only change compared to RE 4 was thematically.

And that's fine, but I expected way more inovation from the mind that created RE and Vanquish. And right now he is just acting as a producer ...

I'm not a Kojima lover, but the man tries to do something new with every single release, and mostly delivers.

SSfox

He blocks people that tells him they love Bayonetta, what kind of retard is this? totally disrespectful toward his fanbase. He made crazy good games, but the person is stupidly retard.

Top Bottom