• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who cook dinner late at night is the bane of my existence

Professional food. Hey, if you want to produce amateur food in your home with your partner, that's your business. I know some people prefer the raw stuff, but I personally find it a bit creepy.

Only on GAF have I ever seen someone call the act of someone cooking a meal creepy. Lol

shaneo632

I live in a house share with 5 other people. There was one guy who lived here a few years ago who would cook curries at 1am and loudly slam the metal serving spoon against the pot while cooking. We have a large fire door but the sound still travelled through it.

I'm a night owl so it didn't really bother me but it did piss off the "normies" I lived with who had 9-5 schedules. I mean, how hard is it to be self-aware enough to not fucking bang shit around late at night? If you need to get food off the spoon, just use a fork to get it off, or wash it under the tap if you're not bothered about missing a few chunks of rice. Nobody needs BANG BANG BANG every few minutes after midnight.

It's basic consideration, really. If you can't cook quietly with a door closed then you're probably the asshole.

EDIT: But OP if you can't even handle people pacing around you should probably move into your own accommodation.

jelly

Work your ass off and move somewhere else is the best solution. Flats generally are shit for peace and quiet.

kAmui-

Professional food. Hey, if you want to produce amateur food in your home with your partner, that's your business. I know some people prefer the raw stuff, but I personally find it a bit creepy.

I know this gets thrown around a lot but this might seriously ne the weirdest thing I've ever read on gaf.

DavidDesu

That sounds like crappy apartment design. Especially to build a room next to a kitchen.

This was my takeaway, most places I’ve lived seem to mirror the rooms through the walls.. a living room next to a living room, kitchen next to a kitchen etc.. must be a weird setup to end up with a bedroom through the wall from a kitchen like that.

Also however, this isn’t late. You should try and speak to them but don’t expect much, it maybe they could be a little bit quieter. I think most people are usually conscious once it gets to like 11pm, to walk more quietly, not make loud crashing noises when you can do an action more gently, maybe they’re just unaware of that...

Camwi

I feel your pain, though for us it wasn't cooking, it was people above us who got up super early and seemed to be walking back and forth in their bedroom over and over again. Drove us fucking nuts.

Now that we own a home, I can't imagine going back to a situation like that again. Now all we have to deal with is the rare douchebag who parks on the street with his bass booming late at night.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
How fucking thin are the walls where you people live????

All types of crazy shit happened at my apartment complex (it used to kinda bad its upper class and gated now) and I couldn't hear shit

Cooking dinner whenever is fine....paperthin walls aren't

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

I'm with you, OP. People who cook are the worst. I don't want to see your amateur food; I don't care if it's more "real and passionate" than food that's produced for money. Leave it to the professionals.

Lmao what the fuck

Jesus Christ the amount of people just fucking taking it personally.

LOZ_excusemeprincess.gif

"WELL EXCUUUUUUUSE ME PRINCESS, MY WORK SCHEDULE MEANS I HAVE TO EAT AT 11PM, SCREW YOU, I'M GONNA COOK A STEAK RIGHT NOW, DEAL WITH IT."

holy shit OP, it's almost like some people don't have control over when they work / play / eat / sleep!

HOLY SHIT!

there is no justifiable reason for you to complain, you live in an apartment, this is life.

people can eat WHENEVER THE FUCK THEY WANT [brah].

teehee.

i mean, it does sound like shitty apartment design, and if you actually talk to the dude this could all be resolved.

i've never had the luxury of eating dinner at a normal time in my adult life, so i'm totally against you on this, but if you approach him super nice i'm sure he / she would be happy to try and be quieter when they cook.

précisement.

we're all just out here livin' man, all sorta the same, all sorta different.

Are you up early making breakfast, making it hard for them to sleep too?

I work a later shift and pay the same rent as you do.

Get over it.

I get home late sometimes. Deal with it.

I'm sorry some of us work second shift and get home late? I suppose people should just skip dinner to avoid annoying you, OP?

Lol.

Since moving out of my parents house, I've lived in about 10 different houses/apartments. One thing I've encountered in every single one of the places I've lived in is having somebody within earshot of my room who cooks dinner late at night. I expected stuff like that to happen when I was in college, but I'm a bit shocked with how much I've run into it since moving out of college neighborhoods. I don't know if I've had bad luck, or if it's a lot more prevalent than I thought.

Anyway, it's driving me bonkers. The act of cooking dinner produces a lot of bassy thuds from slamming pantry doors, placing things on counters, and pacing around the kitchen. Those bassy thuds are freaking impossible to block out with white noise machines. The bass cuts through everything, and in order to block it out adequately, you basically have to create your own bassy sound, at which point you become the annoying bass sound for your neighbors.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. I understand that people work night shifts and everything. I guess I'm just venting because my current situation is the worst I've had so far. The wall my bed is against is literally sharing a wall with my neighbor's kitchen, and he cooks dinner between 9 and 11pm. I have to wake up at 5:30am...

Anyways OP, why don't you move the bed and soundproof the walls? And earplugs may help. Never really cooked anything loud enough for anyone to complain really. Always stayed up past 12:00 AM and ate around 11 or so. Terrible apartment design.

I raise the music volume until it drowns out partying neighbours. Luckily can fall asleep with some great tunes! :D

It is a chainreaction effect for sure but i dont want to walk downstairs, out, and attempt getting to the next apartment staircase just to ask them to be quiet.

I mean if this bothers you so much get your own house because just like you cook whenever they have to eat and I imagine it's not practical for them to wait for your approval anytime they have to eat. Hope I don't sound mean

compo

Banned
This was my takeaway, most places I’ve lived seem to mirror the rooms through the walls.. a living room next to a living room, kitchen next to a kitchen etc.. must be a weird setup to end up with a bedroom through the wall from a kitchen like that.

Also however, this isn’t late. You should try and speak to them but don’t expect much, it maybe they could be a little bit quieter. I think most people are usually conscious once it gets to like 11pm, to walk more quietly, not make loud crashing noises when you can do an action more gently, maybe they’re just unaware of that...

I've decided that I'm not going to say anything to the neighbor. He's never gone past 11pm with his kitchen stuff, and he hasn't made any noise at all, in fact, after 11pm. So he is a pretty good neighbor. But I will be grateful when my lease runs out and I can find a better apartment.

edgefusion

I used to have housemates who would cook really late at night. The smell was what got me the most, it's awful smelling someone's dinner when you're trying to get to sleep.

I mean if this bothers you so much get your own house because just like you cook whenever they have to eat and I imagine it's not practical for them to wait for your approval anytime they have to eat. Hope I don't sound mean

Yeah OP, just buy your own house duh. Easy. *eyeroll*

toneroni

I used to have housemates who would cook really late at night. The smell was what got me the most, it's awful smelling someone's dinner when you're trying to get to sleep.

Yeah OP, just buy your own house duh. Easy. *eyeroll*

Its a solution since it seems to bother him so much.
Or he can get some earplugs.

chekhonte

I used to be a baker and worked odd hours that placed my sleeping schedule in opposition to my roommates' noises. I found that a pair of JVC Marshmallow headphones plus a white noise App on my phone worked to block out any trace of clonky footfalls and cupboard doors. I had one drunk ass roommate who would still make enough noise to counter this. Putting a towel under my door along with a noisy box fan along with the headphones worked.

You can ask your roommates to try and keep it down but ultimately what you do is the only behavior have ultimate control over.

Alexlf

SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS MY PAIN!

Seriously, my roommate cooks the most aromatic fish curries in the world at 1 AM. Not cool.

amanset

I hope you're dead quiet when you get up at 5:30am, OP, as that's really not a normal time. Make sure you do nothing that can be heard outside of your apartment.

See? It works both ways.

Famassu

Cooking not-loudly is possible. If the banging of pans & pots is that loud & constant, just go to your neighbours and tell them to quiet it down & take other people into consideration. Cooking doesn't REQUIRE one to just throwing around pans in the kitchen so loudly that all of it can be heard in other apartments. And people in apartment buildings need to learn to not heel-walk. People in the flat below can hear each step as if an elephant is walking upstairs.

That said, I think around 9-10PM is still pretty fair game for not going out of one's way to be as silent as possible. Past 10:00PM should be when neighbours need to be taken into account.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm having professional coffee right now just to appease Aske.

I didn't have time for coffee this morning, so I grabbed a professionally produced and canned Red Bull from my unfortunately amateur home refrigerator. Not as good as fresh from the professional fridge at the gas station, but it'll do.

My kitchen backs my neighbors kitchen. Having a kitchen (or bathroom, or laundry room) backing a bedroom in another unit is pretty stupid. Not your fault obviously, but man, maybe while you work early, your neighbor works late and probably gets annoyed when you're up stomping around at 5:30. Condo/Apartment life definitely has it's drawbacks and that is one of them.

Dinjooh

I didn't have time for coffee this morning, so I grabbed a professionally produced and canned Red Bull from my unfortunately amateur home refrigerator. Not as good as fresh from the professional fridge at the gas station, but it'll do.

Didn't have time? Don't tell me you woke up in one of those amateur apartments.

Should get yourself a professional hotel room mate.

Is the refrigerator stainless steel, by chance? Because that would lower the amateur quotient immensely.

Davey Cakes

I'll admit, if I'm home on Friday, Saturday, or even Sunday night, there are times when I can find myself cooking REALLY late at night. Beyond 10pm or even 11pm.

That said, my roommates are the types to stay up late so often they'll be out in the main area at that time anyway. If not, I'm not particularly loud. I try to be as quiet as possible and I mostly use the microwave. I open and close doors gently. I take it slow when unwrapping anything. No bashing around of pots and pans and no rattling around for dishes (since I usually take my dishes aside beforehand).

I mean, some of us like to eat late at night on certain nights. We try our best. That said, if someone is at the stove going nuts, they can certainly afford to practice stealthiness.

mhayes86

I hated when my siblings would cook late at night back when I was still living at my parent's house. I can understand if you get home late, but they just stayed up all night and then cooked because they were hungry at 2 in the morning. Not only that, but leaving the dirty dishes sit out for when I get up in the morning to cook breakfast. Now I have to deal with that shit before I can do anything, so I usually just said eff it and made a bowl of cereal.

Davey Cakes

Late night meals are so good though
Right? If I'm having a gaming night to myself, sometimes the hours just go by. Before I know it, it's 11pm and I'm hungry. Don't need to get up early the next day, so I'll make some food and watch a show or something. It's one of the only benefits of being a bachelor and I'm not giving it up.

Top Bottom