• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – The Fifth and Final Season |OT| "Thank you for creating me."

Status
Not open for further replies.
This show really filled a void left in my heart by Lost, so thank you, POI.

Now what...
Maybe time to rewatch Lost
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. While I loved Fringe, this show just had something extra that made me love it more (I also vastly preferred this show's final season).

Although, now I have another hole ;_;

I hope Westworld can fill it again!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
IGN's review of the Finale

Spoilers: 10

Mostly linked for this little bit:

Chillingly scored by Ramin Djawadi - with music that not only reminded me a bit of Philip Glass' brief pieces from The Truman Show but was also great enough to cause executive producers Jonathan Nolan and Greg Plageman to abandon their plans to use Bowie's "Heroes" at the end - "return 0" was achingly amazing.

Really wonder how that scene would turn out with Heroes being played instead. Slightly less sad, more "salute" type music?

jdstorm

Banned
I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending, particularly because something about the final couple of episodes feel like they just threw an ending together because they needed to end it.

So there are strange ideas like other teams around America, if not the world, but none of them help. Same with Thornhill being used as a last minute save, but not being a part of the final confrontation itself.

The Samaritan cop assassin guy (whatever his name is) felt like a throwaway character that went nowhere. A few episodes ago he goes to a hospital and gets a virus that is supposed to be used to "thin out the herd"... and that storyline just ends. They give him his own flashback to try to make him a bigger part of the show, but everything involving him felt a bit like the writers trying to find a way to end the arc at the last moment. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to feel when Shaw kills him, particularly when you have the Machine with Root's voice tell Shaw now to kill him while they were in the subway car.

This is a stupid nitpick that probably only bothered me, but I laughed at the blind devotion of the Samaritan agents. It reminded me of the dumb Uncharted moments where Drake is in the middle of an exploding building and rather than run away, all the brain dead AI enemies continue to shoot at Drake regardless of their own lives. Now maybe they had no idea a cruise missile was coming to blow them all up, and maybe they're supposed to be "ISIS-like" in their devotion to the cause so they don't care if they die, but it was just one of those things that felt silly to me. It didn't help that the actual sequence felt like a video game as well, because if you play any shooter, you have played the "sit here and defend the computer while it uploads" sequence at least once in your life (if you play The Division, then you've played it hundreds of times).

As for the ending itself, I'm... also not sure. The Machine can't beat Samaritan. It's something they keep bringing up... but she says that she can win because now there are actual stakes involved. In a way, it felt a bit anime, where the hero learns about the power of love and is suddenly able to overcome overwhelming odds in order to defeat the villain. I guess I'm fine with that? I'm not sure what I would have liked to see. Maybe a final confrontation between Root and the boy that represented Samaritan as they debated about what to do with humanity? I don't know.

I think generally I'm positive on the ending, but for me, I can't shake the feeling that it could have had a bigger impact for me.

I Wanted the Synthesis ending ;P

So I'm posting this and not going to read any replies except the ones that show green (AKA are quoting this).

I haven't seen a second of the show, but communities I trust hold it in pretty high esteem. Was the ending satisfying? Should I watch this series?

Shows I've watched and enjoyed:
LOST
BSG
Arrowverse stuff
SHIELD
Breaking Bad
Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Chuck

and a bunch of others that are foggy right now.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I love Bowie, and Heroes is one of my favorite songs ever, but man, that would've been bad.

Lonestar

So I'm posting this and not going to read any replies except the ones that show green (AKA are quoting this).

I haven't seen a second of the show, but communities I trust hold it in pretty high esteem. Was the ending satisfying? Should I watch this series?

LOST
BSG
Arrowverse stuff
SHIELD
Breaking Bad
Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Chuck

yes. Some say "oh, it's a slog at the beginning" but I feel it's more about building up the relationships.

Really, the only show on your list I never got around to watching, was Chuck. You're list is literally about the same as my "favorite shows" , just missing a few (24, Farscape, SG:U) If you can find quality entertainment in later seasons of Arrow, you'll be fine for POI.

I love Bowie, and Heroes is one of my favorite songs ever, but man, that would've been bad.

It'd have that weird "Baby Blue" effect from Breaking Bad.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending, particularly because something about the final couple of episodes feel like they just threw an ending together because they needed to end it.

So there are strange ideas like other teams around America, if not the world, but none of them help. Same with Thornhill being used as a last minute save, but not being a part of the final confrontation itself.

I get what you mean about Thornhill Industries not just hiring more gunmen, but The Machine's core systems was damaged. It was losing core functions and would not have been able to supply intel or find a suitable candidate to carry out in the amount of time that Ice-9 was destroying its system.

The Samaritan cop assassin guy (whatever his name is) felt like a throwaway character that went nowhere. A few episodes ago he goes to a hospital and gets a virus that is supposed to be used to "thin out the herd"... and that storyline just ends. They give him his own flashback to try to make him a bigger part of the show, but everything involving him felt a bit like the writers trying to find a way to end the arc at the last moment. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to feel when Shaw kills him, particularly when you have the Machine with Root's voice tell Shaw now to kill him while they were in the subway car.

I think Blackwell was planned to have a larger role, but ended up being the casualty of a 13 episode run (not to mention, CBS's insistence on a procedural style instead of focusing 13 episodes on the mythology). However, the point is mostly on Samaritan extending its reach. It has gotten to the point where it's actively participating in upgrading the human race and taking out all deficiencies (further seen when Greer talked about going to space and harvesting more planets).

As for the ending itself, I'm... also not sure. The Machine can't beat Samaritan. It's something they keep bringing up... but she says that she can win because now there are actual stakes involved. In a way, it felt a bit anime, where the hero learns about the power of love and is suddenly able to overcome overwhelming odds in order to defeat the villain. I guess I'm fine with that? I'm not sure what I would have liked to see. Maybe a final confrontation between Root and the boy that represented Samaritan as they debated about what to do with humanity? I don't know.

I think generally I'm positive on the ending, but for me, I can't shake the feeling that it could have had a bigger impact for me.

Don't forget, the simulations the Machine lost were based on strictly defined variables, Finch never anticipated deploying the Ice-9 virus, let alone using his Machine as a self-sacrifice play. If I recall, it was trying to find a weakness in Samaritan's code. The difference now is that the Machine was infected with Ice-9 whereas the air-gapped Samaritan code is not, and considering how much the full Samaritan broke down when infected with the Ice-9 (especially when Finch had no idea if it was going to be successful in .exe), it was pretty much guaranteed that the Ice-9'd Machine was going to destroy baby Samaritan.

yes. Some say "oh, it's a slog at the beginning" but I feel it's more about building up the relationships.

Really, the only show on your list I never got around to watching, was Chuck. You're list is literally about the same as my "favorite shows" , just missing a few (24, Farscape, SG:U) If you can find quality entertainment in later seasons of Arrow, you'll be fine for POI.

Oh, I watched most of 24. Didn't have all of the seasons on DVD so I never caught up.

LOST
BSG
Arrowverse stuff
SHIELD
Breaking Bad
Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Chuck

You would enjoy the show plus it has a good ending .
which is always a plus in my book .
Some might say it start off slow but that is just to build the world and characters .

Damn i going to miss this show :(

Lonestar

Don't forget, the simulations the Machine lost were based on strictly defined variables, Finch never anticipated deploying the Ice-9 virus, let alone using his Machine as a self-sacrifice play. If I recall, it was trying to find a weakness in Samaritan's code. The difference now is that the Machine was infected with Ice-9 whereas the air-gapped Samaritan code is not, and considering how much the full Samaritan broke down when infected with the Ice-9 (especially when Finch had no idea if it was going to be successful in .exe), it was pretty much guaranteed that the Ice-9'd Machine was going to destroy baby Samaritan.

The one thing is, I don't think Ice-9 was sent up with The Machine to the Satellite. Think it was just The Machine. The ASI Superbowl took place in outer space, and The Machine came out victorious, and downloaded itself back to Earth (and taught "who" it was, as it was basically a brand new system)

Can now think of all the "flashback UI graphics" over the years, as part of it's learning ;P

You would enjoy the show plus it has a good ending .
which is always a plus in my book .
Some might say it start off slow but that is just to build the world and characters .

Damn i going to miss this show :(

Yeah, it's a very solid ending.

I'm way too lazy with liking some endings, as people have really hated LOST and BSG (and I didn't). But it really works, everything fits with the rules created in the show. Not as perfect as The SHIELD, but I found it within telescope distance of Breaking Bad (Ozymandias > Finale)

Fularu

Banned
That episode was just amazing

What a great final and I can't be the only one fist bumping in the air when the machine comes back to life (which was logical and predictable but still great).

John went out on his terms and at peace and Shaw killing the fucker felt nice.

I'm restarting from season 1!

I don't know what happened but is everyone ok

112488-Tom-cruise-crying-gif-Imgur-ob-R2x9.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I Wanted the Synthesis ending ;P
If the Machine could only defeat Samaritan by incorporating it's code or "soul" into herself, I would have been okay with that.

Really wonder how that scene would turn out with Heroes being played instead. Slightly less sad, more "salute" type music?
It would have been cheeeeeeeese.

I think Blackwell was planned to have a larger role, but ended up being the casualty of a 13 episode run (not to mention, CBS's insistence on a procedural style instead of focusing 13 episodes on the mythology). However, the point is mostly on Samaritan extending its reach. It has gotten to the point where it's actively participating in upgrading the human race and taking out all deficiencies (further seen when Greer talked about going to space and harvesting more planets).
Ah, I had no idea that CBS forced them to try to fit in some procedural episodes in the middle. Those episodes really did feel out of place. It sort of reminds me of how Rick Berman insisted that DS9 had to have random non-myth episodes despite the fact that the entire Federation is at war.
I guess they did what they could to salvage the character, but it just felt like anyone could have killed Root. It didn't really have to be him.
Would the implication then be that the Machine only learned the meaning of life because it got hit by the virus?

They mention Annie Parisse in the interview, and I'm glad that they at least thought of her even if she never came back.

I guess if you wanted to ship characters and whatnot, she would have been the one that John would have tried to find at the end if he survived and not Finch.

MartyStu

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. While I loved Fringe, this show just had something extra that made me love it more (I also vastly preferred this show's final season).

Although, now I have another hole ;_;

I hope Westworld can fill it again!

This reminds me that I never watched the last 2 episodes of Fringe because my heart could not take it.

I think it may be time to finish that series. After this episode, I feel I can handle anything.

Hmmm, this will probably be the biggest gap of time that Micheal Emerson isn't on my television since Lost. I hope he finds another awesome show. Same for Caviezel.

The one thing is, I don't think Ice-9 was sent up with The Machine to the Satellite. Think it was just The Machine. The ASI Superbowl took place in outer space, and The Machine came out victorious, and downloaded itself back to Earth (and taught "who" it was, as it was basically a brand new system)

Can now think of all the "flashback UI graphics" over the years, as part of it's learning ;P

Considering the UI mentioned "Infecting Samaritan Core Systems" and the Shaw had taken blades from the infected Machine in subway, I think it's the Machine with the Ice-9 virus.

Veelk

Banned
Would the implication then be that the Machine only learned the meaning of life because it got hit by the virus?

Perhaps. Death is a big theme of this last episode, especially with how the machine keeps revolving around the idea that they only know their true selves in their last moments.

And that could also be true of Samaritan, who is implied to be ultimately selfish and therefore more predictable.

The reason I buy the machine winning is that between the Ice-9, the tables being turned on Samaritan, and my skepticism of the simulations the machine ran accuracy, I didn't find it overly implausible that Samaritan simply was helpless in that particular instance. Moreso than how it did nothing like muting the mic when Finch uploaded the virus last episode.

ZenaxPure

Hmmm, this will probably be the biggest gap of time that Micheal Emerson isn't on my television since Lost. I hope he finds another awesome show. Same for Caviezel.

It's really funny to me, Emerson is the reason I got into POI in the first place since I loved Ben so much, easily the best acted character on the show. He did just as an amazing job on POI kinda to the point where it made me dislike seeing him as more of a bad guy when I went back and watched Lost.

I hope he gets another gig on another great show, the man is an incredible actor.

In a interview he said he don't think he be able to keep up with 22 to 24 ep shows anymore.
So i hope to see him in movie roles or shorter 10 to13 ep series

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Samaritan was a great villain and I hope it will be one of the most remembered in Sci-fi TV. Person of interest was a show that took exceptionally good care in depicting it's villains with rational and humanistic motives, and I hope other shows take inspiration from that.
The problem is that Samaritan has no face, other than the boy and Greer. I know it's quaint now, but I felt more satisfied with how the HR storyline ended and the final "payback" that happened there.

(Remember when this show was about corrupt cops? lol)

Perhaps. Death is a big theme of this last episode, especially with how the machine keeps revolving around the idea that they only know their true selves in their last moments.

And that could also be true of Samaritan, who is implied to be ultimately selfish and therefore more predictable.

The reason I buy the machine winning is that between the Ice-9, the tables being turned on Samaritan, and my skepticism of the simulations the machine ran accuracy, I didn't find it overly implausible that Samaritan simply was helpless in that particular instance. Moreso than how it did nothing like muting the mic when Finch uploaded the virus last episode.
I think at that point I just wanted more from Samaritan than just hacking a billboard in Time's Square to show some of that. I don't mind that it lost, but these new variables turning the tide just has the ring of "last minute upgrade".

Lonestar

Considering the UI mentioned "Infecting Samaritan Core Systems" and the Shaw had taken blades from the infected Machine in subway, I think it's the Machine with the Ice-9 virus.

It's just that, if it goes up with the Ice-9, how could it survive and come back down. Guess it could just be a "The Machine really can overcome everything!"

Couldn't find my old "Machine is Watching" gif, so it's now reborn.
jlxgMje.gif

It'll keep watch, always :(

jdstorm

Banned
Some non joke thoughts.

Great episode... Thank you for creating me indeed.

General ramblings about S5

Everyone Should have died. Except Fusco and Bear. Shaw in S4, Finch instead of Root, and then Root and Reese in the Final.

The return of shaw felt very fan servicey and ultimately felt hollow, while it made the narative spin its wheels and lose its momentum. The early season time could have been better spent with Finch and The Machine bonding and developing the machine as an actual emotional being/discussing the idea that the machine is an emotional being rather then just tacking on roots personality at the end.

From season 3 onwards, Finch was the Brain, John was the muscle and Root was Team machines heart. Person of interest was always a show where every life/number mattered and the idea that the concepts of Love, acceptance and family could reform the person root was into a fully functioning adult who was able to understand the benefits of compassion and community but combine that with her pragmatism and willingness to kill, she's probably a better fit to lead Team Machine for the final stretch. It's also a way to deconstruct the idea of the machine as a Deity. Something root firmly believed, when the series started. With the machine in mourning over the loss of her Father.

Lastly, can we get Michael Emmerson into Spider-Man: Homecomming as Uncle Ben in some form of flashback/photograph

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine how confused the general population must've been with what was happening.

EVERYTHING IS COLLAPSING, WHY IS TIMES SQUARE SPEAKING WITH A RANDOM GUY.

This reminds me that I never watched the last 2 episodes of Fringe because my heart could not take it.

I think it may be time to finish that series. After this episode, I feel I can handle anything.

Oh yeah, that's nothing compared to this.

I think at that point I just wanted more from Samaritan than just hacking a billboard in Time's Square to show some of that. I don't mind that it lost, but these new variables turning the tide just has the ring of "last minute upgrade".

I don't see it as a last min upgrade .
More like an even playing field , since the machine could done everything Samaritan can.
But it was nerf threw out the years and that final came off in last few eps .
The virus mess up both of them but the machine has more exp over the years lol.

Lonestar

Oh, the reason the "moral" of the last episode hit me hard, was the passing of my Father(10 years ago in November). Situations happened, and we didn't get to the hospital in time, think he died a few minutes before we got there, alone. A thing that will gnaw on you for a good long time, if not forever. But the lesson of living on in the memory of people who loved you also exists.

So a combo of that plus a favorite show and characters I've cared about since Season 1, was alot to handle.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, the reason the "moral" of the last episode hit me hard, was the passing of my Father(10 years ago in November). Situations happened, and we didn't get to the hospital in time, think he died a few minutes before we got there, alone. A thing that will gnaw on you for a good long time, if not forever. But the lesson of living on in the memory of people who loved you also exists.

So a combo of that plus a favorite show and characters I've cared about since Season 1, was alot to handle.

An uncle, who was a father figure for me passed away last month, this episode destroyed me.

Lonestar

An uncle, who was a father figure for me passed away last month, this episode destroyed me.

My condolences on your loss. Just one of the shitty badges we all get to carry at some point :/

Some non joke thoughts.

Great episode... Thank you for creating me indeed.

General ramblings about S5

Everyone Should have died. Except Fusco and Bear. Shaw in S4, Finch instead of Root, and then Root and Reese in the Final.

The return of shaw felt very fan servicey and ultimately felt hollow, while it made the narative spin its wheels and lose its momentum. The early season time could have been better spent with Finch and The Machine bonding and developing the machine as an actual emotional being/discussing the idea that the machine is an emotional being rather then just tacking on roots personality at the end.

Pretty much in agreement.

Shaw's last scene in S4 was perfect as a death, and while I'm glad to see her back, and she got the great ending shot, I could have dealt with less BYG worry over a situation that, as a viewer, was more than just about that one single issue. That, and I always found it odd that Decima/Samaritan would often try for fatal attacks, only to decide "oh, lets take her and run tests."

Shahi coming off of maternity leave, unfortunately, hurt both seasons (S4 with the odd "we have to save our friend, we don't really know if she died!" episodes and S5 because she wasn't ready to go until the last 5 or so episodes, creating a situation where there was no acceptable time to show Root and Shaw together, for real).

The part about spending more time on Machine 2, would also help. Most of the blame is on CBS continue to push for procedural-ish story's, even when quietly forcing cancellation

jdstorm

Banned
My condolences on your loss. Just one of the shitty badges we all get to carry at some point :/

Shaw's last scene in S4 was perfect as a death, and while I'm glad to see her back, and she got the great ending shot, I could have dealt with less BYG worry over a situation that, as a viewer, was more than just about that one single issue. That, and I always found it odd that Decima/Samaritan would often try for fatal attacks, only to decide "oh, lets take her and run tests."

Shahi coming off of maternity leave, unfortunately, hurt both seasons (S4 with the odd "we have to save our friend, we don't really know if she died!" episodes and S5 because she wasn't ready to go until the last 5 or so episodes, creating a situation where there was no acceptable time to show Root and Shaw together, for real).

The part about spending more time on Machine 2, would also help. Most of the blame is on CBS continue to push for procedural-ish story's, even when quietly forcing cancellation

The only thing I don't buy is the procedural element ever hurting the show. Procedural episodes at their core just mean that they are enjoyable as a self contained episode without context. The credits at the start introduce who all the major characters are, and the whole episode episode makes sense within the shows internal logic. While the degree of difficulty combining the procedural and serialised model is incredibly difficult. It's not impossible as this show has often proven.

A great example of this is Avatar: The Last Airbender. Book 3 Fire.
That was a season completely devoted to its world saving endgame. Yet out of 20 episodes it still managed to throw in close to 10 procedural episodes

(Sokka's Sword, Aang goes to school, Katara saving that floating village, Firebending Masters, Katara tracks down her mothers killer, the Beach, Ember Island Players. Amoung others.)

If she did not had the leave in season 4 that season would most likely be much different .
Also fuck CBS when it comes to this show , worst on and off breaks for any show i have ever watch .
Even in the last season they made things harder with it's procedural elements nonsense.

Lonestar

The only thing I don't buy is the procedural element ever hurting the show. Procedural episodes at their core just mean that they are enjoyable as a self contained episode without context. The credits at the start introduce who all the major characters are, and the whole episode episode makes sense within the shows internal logic. While the degree of difficulty combining the procedural and serialised model is incredibly difficult. It's not impossible as this show has often proven.

Oh, it never really did, it's just that there was some time in this last season built up on non-essential bits. Not alot, but enough when there's only 13 TV hours, which is more like 9 1/2 hours.

The only thing I wanted and didn't get was Bear delivering the final blow against Samaritan.

Well, if Bear is slower on waking Finch up and giving him a fire extinguisher, IT'S ALL OVER BEFORE IT BEGAN.

Lonestar

I like that Fusco never really did learn to search people properly.

Question: So that shot in a cemetery towards the end, that read "John Tal--", was the implication that John is buried there?

It would be nice to see that John was buried under his real name, contrary to what he thought. EDIT: I need HD GIF versions of that attack scene!

Late, but thinking on it, I actually wonder if he was ever really buried. That site could easily be his original tombstone, assuming that it could exist, as he had already long been considered "dead" via his CIA work, on top of being assumed deceased after Ordos.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Really loved this scene with that piano solo..........

Yup, great shot.

Decent finale, all the Harold-John scenes were fantastic. I always kind of expected John's fate, but it was rough finally seeing him conquered (particularly with the brutality of the Samaritan agents all unloading on him), in body at least. The callback to the pilot was a great end, really appreciated that. I also liked the Times Square scene with the conversation between Finch and Samaritan.

I wish that they had been able to do everything they wanted to do this season, but overall I'm satisfied with how it turned out. This show really got better as it went on, which isn't a given for a lot of shows, and I was always impressed by how each successive season managed to up the ante. I've been watching this show since day one and it'll suck not having it on anymore. Still, now comes the fun of convincing friends to check it out and eventually rewatching it myself someday.

I didn't post in these threads a whole lot, but I've enjoyed all the enthusiasm that you guys have shown throughout the years.

PK Gaming

Re: Samaritan vs The Machine

The reason the Machine kept losing those simulations was because it was restricted by Harold. Root added some code to let her fight back before her death, and I imagine those modification had a significant impact in fight against Samaritan.

Unlike Fusco, there is no ambiguity with Harry being placed back into his old life. Since the moment she was revealed, all Harold wanted to do was get back to Grace and be with her. It's so very little often I feel anything for romances that are placed on the periphery, because often the woman in the picture (and it's almost always a woman) is given very little characterization and only serves as a plot device for the main character. But I can't help but feel that in this case, the writers were able to make her feel real enough for it to work. I think there are several reasons for that, but maybe most of all because in a world of truly moral ambiguity, she has been shown to be this unassuming, kind, and humble person. A true beacon of light of the best of humanity. Harold finally reuniting with her at the end, then was truly heartwarming.

Ultimately, I think the machine's penultimate words before it came offline sum this show up well.

"But we helped some people, didn't we?"

Yes you did, PoI.

The reunion between Harold and his wife is even more poignant because the actors are married in real life. It's hard to put into words, but it just felt even more special.

Mohasus

These last 2 episodes sucked so hard.

In retrospect, it makes me notice how the series only went downhill after samaritan was introduced, even though at the moment I thought it could only get better from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom