• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – The Fifth and Final Season |OT| "Thank you for creating me."

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaface

Just finished up the finale myself. A great ending to a fantastic show which I'm sorely going to miss. As a UK viewer, it stakes a claim, at least among the people I know, as the greatest show that nobody watched. But I did, and that's what matters.

salute.gif

Just finished up the finale myself. A great ending to a fantastic show which I'm sorely going to miss. As a UK viewer, it stakes a claim, at least among the people I know, as the greatest show that nobody watched. But I did, and that's what matters.

salute.gif

Basically the same in the US as well.

Wilsongt

Almost had legit tears seeing Root standing and telling Harold to leave and that she'd support Reese.

Also, the Machine's message for Shaw.

My heart!

Tamanon

Banned
I find it ironic how much Samaritan relied on humans to do its bidding. The Machine relied more on information, and "coincidence", whereas Samaritan set up a whole organization to support its ideas.

The theory ignores Samaritan's pre-Greer/Decima origins though. Arthur Claypool pretty much forced it to constantly shed unnecessary code and reshape itself thousands of times. It is possible post-Greer it developed significant bloat however, and over time it became less capable of reacting readily to greatly diminished capabilities, but I think as a whole the line of thinking might be stretching things a tad to far to explain something that was already explained - The Machine was never allowed to react in an overtly aggressive manner until now.

hwvoyrzv245x.jpg

Sober

I'm sure there was a brief conversation about the technical parts of the fight, but yeah, this is cool. Also reading the comments apparently the version of Samaritan on the satellite was a beta version too?

But cool to see it mostly worked out even though for the most part the battle was more representative of a philosophical one.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think they were Beta versions up there, but more primitive versions that could fit in the technology of a satellite.

maxcriden

Use of the Phillip Glass tune from BSG was really good. I know it wasn't made for BSG, but that's what I associate it with. Kara and the mandala.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Impressive...most impressive.

So, who is the mystery man that knows all about The Machine...He has a yellow box...

I would guess Nolan since he's also in the Times Square scene.

I'm going to miss this show so much.

Yeah, saw someone mention that. That person is also wearing Reese's jacket from the pilot
person-of-interest-cbs-01.jpg

Some are thinking, maybe that's the person that got Reese out of the vault. While Reese could ask TM to open the big door, Finch did put something up against the gate, and that TM couldn't do anything about. Probably not really happened, but hey, shows over.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Return 0 is sitting at a perfect 10 on IMDb right now (with over 2,000 votes). When the lists update that will put POI at 8 of the top 50 episodes, beating Game of Thrones' 5 and Breaking Bad's 4.

Well deserved. I watched it again and it really was a perfect end.

MartyStu

He is correct, but he complicates it: Samaritan lost because of its reliance on the custom CPUs.

The show would have you believe that those custom CPUs were simply more 'powerful' than others and that is why they were crucial to bringing Samaritans higher functions online.

This, I think, is an oversimplification. With the way these ASIs seem to work, I cannot imagine why it would not be a simple matter of just throwing more hardware at it. Especially since its competition is several years out of date hardware-wise(most likely);

Instead, I posit that those chips held a crucial feature that Samaritan needed simply to function. In an environment where it is deprived of that, it was extremely disadvantaged as lacking this feature, it was barely sentient. Or at the very least extremely inefficient.

This happens a lot in the real world: on some platforms, code written to take advantage of multiple threads can often perform significantly worse in single core environments than if they were designed to be single threaded.

You know what's crazy. Just how happy and swag-worthy Caviezel's line reading is of:

"I told you. I'd pay you back all at once. That's the way I like it." With that little smirk.

Jesus Christ, this man had the most baller hero exit ever in a series finale. Dude was still fucking moving after Samaritan agents riddled with holes. It took an actual cruise missile to stop him.

Turns out there are now a whopping 9 POI episodes in the top 50 on IMDb. .exe managed to make it in as well, with a 9.7 placing it at number 41.

Again, the next closest is Game of Thrones with 5. Game of Thrones' lowest top 50 episode is also 5 slots lower, so it will be edged out of the list first.

On one hand it's all sort of meaningless. On the other, it's really nice to see, regardless. :p

Well deserved. I watched it again and it really was a perfect end.

Absolutely.

IKizzLE

I'll say this, in the past 15 years, I watched a ton of television shows through completion and Person of Interest's Series Finale ranks among some of the best and most emotional. This and Spartacus' series finale were some of the best endings I've seen in television.

Person of Interest and Nikita are some of the most underrated Bourne-type shows on television.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized. The Machine planned it all along. The satellite was launched by Root when she went to Eastern Europe at the end of QSO (5x7).

So, I now do know that the Machine knew that the events of The Day the World Went Away were going to happen, and even knew that Harold was going to use Ice-9 to destroy Samaritan.

The Machine essentially planned to corner Samaritan into using that satellite, so it could finish it off, and also save itself. God damn, this fucking show.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I just realized. The Machine planned it all along. The satellite was launched by Root when she went to Eastern Europe at the end of QSO (5x7).

So, I now do know that the Machine knew that the events of The Day the World Went Away were going to happen, and even knew that Harold was going to use Ice-9 to destroy Samaritan.

The Machine essentially planned to corner Samaritan into using that satellite, so it could finish it off, and also save itself. God damn, this fucking show.

hold on

wait, what?

is this for real?

Sober

I dunno, that Eastern European missile silo felt more like it was for a good old fashioned missile rather than a satellite rocket.

Nobility

Banned
hold on

wait, what?

is this for real?

Sounds like a reasonable deduction...

These writers were on another level, we always knew this.

Also just realized the meaning of the date on tombstone...

Nolan must have been reading my mind, he knew I would want a reference to my favourite episode! =D

"Tonight, at midnight, when the virus reaches zero, a certain payphone will ring with the most important phone call in history..."

Root's first direct communication with God...ahem, The Machine - May 3, 2013

Hoplatee

What actually caused the ratings to drop? Any real info about that? Or yet another case of the wrong show on the wrong network?

I can't for my life imagine watching procedural shows where you can just skip 5 episodes and not miss anything. Person of Interest really nailed it with blending it together. When it went full on 'serialized' at times it really was absolutely amazing.

E) I believe it started around S03? If so then I probably answered myself already I guess :p

What actually caused the ratings to drop? Any real info about that? Or yet another case of the wrong show on the wrong network?

I can't for my life imagine watching procedural shows where you can just skip 5 episodes and not miss anything. Person of Interest really nailed it with blending it together. When it went full on 'serialized' at times it really was absolutely amazing.

People claimed the show jumped the shark when Carter was killed, and when Samaritan was introduced. IIRC, people preferred if they had stayed with the procedural elements instead of evolving into large mythology. Which is insanely mind-boggling.

Hoplatee

People claimed the show jumped the shark when Carter was killed, and when Samaritan was introduced. IIRC, people preferred if they had stayed with the procedural elements instead of evolving into large mythology. Which is insanely mind-boggling.

Oh dear. I uh... what. I got nothing to say to that. Haha.

Lonestar

Lots of strange crossways opinions. Some want it more Serialized, some don't, Some take any character deaths as a complete offense to their chosen viewpoint.

I'm more of the opinion that it was simply: They moved it to the last hour of TV time on Tuesday, a death spot for shows. It went up against a "Chicago" show, that I think stole most of the female demographic, while 10 PM Tuesday's were usually FX's power slot (Sons of Anarchy) taking chunks of the male demographic. That basically just left the older population to watch POI, The show still had good viewing ratings, just nothing in the 18-34 age range. The show also didn't fit thematically with it's lead in's at all (NCIS)

It came on earlier on Thursday, didn't have great opposition in it's timeslot, and didn't have the NCIS problem as much. Think it fit ok with Elementary, and generally Thursday was CBS's "younger" night as opposed to Tuesday.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, I think timeslot more than anything killed it.

I mean, Limitless pretty much matched the performance in the same timeslot.

Lonestar

I know people say Limitless was good, but I refuse to watch it or anything else on CBS, after CBS killed POI.

POI barely received any publicity in the last 2 seasons. Loads of people didn't even realize Season 5 had started airing, and you wouldn't even know it was coming on 2 times a week unless you were already watching the airing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I know people say Limitless was good, but I refuse to watch it or anything else on CBS, after CBS killed POI.

POI barely received any publicity in the last 2 seasons. Loads of people didn't even realize Season 5 had started airing, and you wouldn't even know it was coming on 2 times a week unless you were already watching the airing.

It's kind of amazing how only now people are noticing the series and how good it is.

Lonestar

It's kind of amazing how only now people are noticing the series and how good it is.

Really seems like the last marketing push POI got, was the trilogy episodes. More for Season 3's (The Endgame) than Season 4's (Trilogy)

Having a hard time finding alot of talk show interviews with cast members. Think Emerson and Taraji has most of them, in the 1st few seasons. 95% of any interview took place either at the NYCC or from dedicated interview sessions. Nothing mass marketed.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently CBS does this to all shows, and that's something we should all be used too :(

Also just realized the meaning of the date on tombstone...

Nolan must have been reading my mind, he knew I would want a reference to my favourite episode! =D

"Tonight, at midnight, when the virus reaches zero, a certain payphone will ring with the most important phone call in history..."

Root's first direct communication with God...ahem, The Machine - May 3, 2013

I hope that fans keep finding these easter eggs on rewatches, because this is awesome. This stuff was made with love.

Sonicbug

Hey guys....

Remember when they were planning on making an anime spinoff? Do you think that pilot is out there, somewhere.... god, I wanna see mockups of that.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, what? POI in anime? I gotta see the receipts on that!

Just finished it off after only coming to the show late last year. What a gem. There are so many good things to say. So many great moments. Such wonderful attention to detail. Good humor, lovable characters. Damn. I am sad it is gone, but grateful it went out pretty much perfectly.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I read the IGN interview and this is painful:

Nolan: I had imagined that in any version this would be the final season for Samaritan. And we had a blueprint we used for what could come next. If this was the ultimate big bad - like, what could we do afterward? And we had some pretty cool ideas. But certainly for a final adversary, Samaritan is a pretty great one.

Yes, a case of the week structure, but you always wanted the sense that there was a looming threat out there and you trust the audience to be able to sort through it. One huge problem with that was that we didn't know we weren't going to be streaming. And when every other show is streaming, it's no longer a fair fight. We had an arm tied behind out back while trying to tell a complicated story, and the only way the audience could catch up was to wait for the box set. It was a slightly old fashioned show [in terms of distribution] in a new world, and that was tricky.

Nolan: Last year, it was 24, X-Files and Heroes. You'd be forgiven for waking up and checking your TV Guide thinking you'd traveled back in time 10 years. So you never say never. They've got our number! They can call us. We love these f**king characters. We love this world.

Also lmao, how they wanted to write episodes for Vigilance and Root because of their themes hahaha.

Interesting bit, Jonathan Nolan directed parts of the Times Square scene (sans the ones he cameo'd in). I always thought those scenes felt kind of different from the ones in the rest of the episode.

And on music:

Chris Fisher either sniffed out our musical taste or he shared it to begin because occasionally... He tried to drop Pink Floyd's "Machine" into an episode in Season 2 and we were like, "F**k off, Fish, we got plans for that one." [laughs]

Also Ramin (composer of the show) is working with Nolan on Westworld, oh yeah.

Basically the same in the US as well.

That isn't true, before CBS started the sabotage it was easily doing 14-15 million an episode,
Season 3 is when they cut advertisements back and switched it from Thursday at 9pm to Tuesday at 10 and it dropped to 12-ish even dips into 10s.
Also when the scheduling got really bad with on week-off weeks.

Season 4 was same issues and started dipping into 8s never getting 11 again.

And season 5 was 7,5,7,6,5,5,4,5,6,6,6,6

CBS killed POI.

TripOpt55

Just caught up and finished this yesterday. So good. The final four episodes in particular were just spectacular. I really didn't know what I wanted from the ending of this series, but I couldn't have come up with something nearly as good as this. The endings for all the characters just felt right. Shaw has always been my favorite character and I especially loved her ending with Bear and the smile at the end. So awesome. This is one of the better series finales I have watched. Probably top five for drama finales for me.

The season as a whole was rather well done. I was glad they still had weekly POI cases to tackle. This show at its best always did a great job of balancing the procedural elements with the more serialized overarching stuff. I wasn't sure if the season would shrug that aside due to changes to the status quo after last year or the need to wrap up the larger story, but this season really hit that nice balance again. Was good to see them work in some of the other side characters again without feeling too forced. I was disappointed with Season 4 after the near-perfect third season, but I was really happy with how they finished everything here.

Great series overall. I will miss it.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know much about Person Of Interest, but I did know that one of my favourite actors was in it (Jim Caviezel).
So one day I browse one of the charity shops near my area and found the Blu-Ray for S1, which I've immediately bought.
The Pilot really hooked me in and I was loving that they didn't go cheap on the action and filming.
I was enjoying the procedural aspect of the show and it felt to me like a homage to the 80s series and then it became more serialized and it was winning me.
As soon as the finale of S1 ended, I had to watch Season 2, I had to know where Finch went.
Then the HR plot started and it was genuinely awesome with its end in S3 ("Hurt" was such a great choice).
S4 felt just a tiny bit of a step back, but in my mind was excused because of the predicament the team was in.
I love S5, I really love it. It all made sense, even if a bit rushed, but it all made sense. It still had time for action, philosophy and themes that you don't really see in television and it wasn't confusing!
I felt really sad when Root died but I rejoyed when she lived through the Machine, which is something that she would've wanted.
I'm glad that the Shaw storyline didn't end with her being brainwashed and do some sort of redemption thing at the end.
Reese died with an awesome blaze of glory, with an awesome line to boot.
I could say so much about the characters but I would go on and on.
Thank you so much Jonathan Nolan, your writing really shined on the finale. So many quotable lines in just 40 minutes, it felt like a TV equivalent of The Dark Knight.
Thank you very much POI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom