• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest was one of the best shows on TV. Why have you not watched it yet?

EDIT. 📤 yeah I just saw that one, good shit.

this show is fine b-television, but as I get through it I can't help but think you guys overrate it calling it one of the best shows ever.

Chris1

EDIT. �� yeah I just saw that one, good shit.

this show is fine b-television, but as I get through it I can't help but think you guys overrate it calling it one of the best shows ever.
that's because you're only on season 2e4, when it was primarily case of the week. At that point the only really really good episode is probably the season 1 finale (Which probably isn't even in the top 5 episodes of the show now).

See you soon. There are quite a few good episodes in season 2, not sure I'd say the highs are better to S1 finale but it's quite close and there's more episodes of that quality in S2 so the season as a whole is better for it.

But for people saying "one of the best shows ever", you might have to wait till S3 onwards, but S2 is definitely a step up in quality from S1 even still.

9.5+ ratings on imdb:
Season 5: 5
season 4: 5
season 3: 6
season 2: 4
season 1: 1

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
It felt formulaic and generic as hell for the handful of episodes I watched, but if theyre an exception like many have said I may try again. These days with so many good shows available, if the premise feels like it will turn into a serial its very easy to lose interest

I liked the gimmick for a while but then it got pretty corny. Root, Main Dude, and others just sucked. Most episodes went the same root.

Would prefer a more serialized edition where they cut lots of the fat.

xevis

Banned
Haven't watched it. Always seemed like yet another procedural intended to give law-and-order conservatives (and other rah-rah-hooray-for-the-USA Republicans) a boner. Am I way off-base with this assessment?

xevis

Banned
yeah kinda

So it's some kind of subversive social commentary in disguise like The Wire? Because the Wikipedia page doesn't fill me with hope:

Wikipedia said:
Person of Interest centers on a mysterious reclusive billionaire computer programmer named Harold Finch (Michael Emerson), who develops a computer system (known as "The Machine") for the U.S. government that is capable of collating all sources of information to predict and identify—in advance—people planning terrorist acts.

There's also some stuff about rogue AIs which sounds cool but, man oh man, that premise above is pretty hard to swallow.

it's more humanist than that. at least by the time it matters. there's terrorism, but most of it is domestic.

most of the show is just enjoying the writing and performances. which I admit, would be something someone would say it they were brainwashed by it. I like it now, a lot, and I only liked it a little bit through season 2.

ty_hot

show is awesome. The characters are great, I liked all of the main characters (except the
main "vilan", the old guy that was controlling samaritan.

First season was good, solid 8, but all other seasons the series just keeps growing and growing that I would say it goes from 8/10 to 10/10 and probably ended at 12/10. yeah, that great. I loved the last season, it felt like every episode was a season finale. Pure awesomeness.

Sayah

I haven't picked it up because I don't like episodic, montser/criminal-of-the-week TV shows. I never ended up liking Buffy or Supernatural for this very reason.

Haven't watched it. Always seemed like yet another procedural intended to give law-and-order conservatives (and other rah-rah-hooray-for-the-USA Republicans) a boner. Am I way off-base with this assessment?

Yes and no. It was a CBS show, so the creators had to do that type of show for a bit. However, they built the show in a way that expands on its core premise to a very non-CBS type of show.

PoI is the best genre bait & switch I've ever seen.

POI had some great eps for sure but I think it occasionally fell into pretty commonly bland procedural territory even in its later seasons. There's nothing wrong with a case-of-the-week episode but there's everything wrong with one that's uninteresting.

But the later seasons are far more serialized tho

They still had episodes that were mostly case of the week tho. There's a stretch of episodes in season 4 between Cntrl Alt Delete and Terra Incognita that is hard to get through because it's mostly dull case of the week episodes.

So it's some kind of subversive social commentary in disguise like The Wire? Because the Wikipedia page doesn't fill me with hope:

There's also some stuff about rogue AIs which sounds cool but, man oh man, that premise above is pretty hard to swallow.

That "premise" is the "this will get us green lit on CBS" initial description/starting point for the show. The real premise of the show is
the "some stuff about rogue AIs", which becomes basically the entire focus of the show, and what everything in the first few seasons is building up. Eventually the whole story is about to Artificial Super Intelligence demigods warring over how to best protect humanity with some really unique takes on the modern "Surveillance State", the technological singularity, and eventually trans-/posthumanism. Along with some really good crime/corruption arcs and character pieces.

All the characters were just lackluster to me and none really stood out enough to get me invested to watch more than a couple of episodes. I'm also not a fan of computer magic tracking device cause "advanced algorithms". I like my cop shows toned down.

oneils

I put this in the same bucket as Elementary and Blacklist. I get bored of the fact that most episodes need their little procedural story. I'd rather have a tight storyline of 8-10 episodes. I'm just not up to 23 episodes of crime solving or whatever.

Edit: I'm reading more of this thread and I'm thinking I'll have to watch more of this show. Most of the episodes I watched didn't seem to advance some of the story arcs much.

ty_hot

I put this in the same bucket as Elementary and Blacklist. I get bored of the fact that most episodes need their little procedural story. I'd rather have a tight storyline of 8-10 episodes. I'm just not up to 23 episodes of crime solving or whatever.

Did you watch the entire show? The first season has lots of 'case of the week' stuff, but from the second season there is always something happening. Last two seasons basically dont have any 'case of the week', its just the main plot.

The Blacklist seems like POI, the first season was too procedural, but then it got better. More main plot stuff.

One series that I love but was full of little procedural story was The Mentalist. Oh boy, 23 episodes per season, maybe 3-4 episodes related to the main plot (and not even 5 episodes about it, 5 episodes RELATED)... maybe another 3 or 4 that would change something small related to the main characters... anyway, I was angry at 70% of the episodes because nothing happened basically, but was still happy because Jane was awesome and I loved his solutions episode after episode.

oneils

Did you watch the entire show? The first season has lots of 'case of the week' stuff, but from the second season there is always something happening. Last two seasons basically dont have any 'case of the week', its just the main plot.

The Blacklist seems like POI, the first season was too procedural, but then it got better. More main plot stuff.

One series that I love but was full of little procedural story was The Mentalist. Oh boy, 23 episodes per season, maybe 3-4 episodes related to the main plot (and not even 5 episodes about it, 5 episodes RELATED)... maybe another 3 or 4 that would change something small related to the main characters... anyway, I was angry at 70% of the episodes because nothing happened basically, but was still happy because Jane was awesome and I loved his solutions episode after episode.

Well, no I didn't watch the entire show. In general If I don't enjoy something I don't watch more of it. After reading even more of this thread it looks like it's one of those shows that fans say gets good after a whole season. Ugh.

Estellex

If Then Else is one of the greatest hours of TV I have ever watched and probably will ever watch. I can't recommend the series enough.

I knew people were going to reference that episode.
The events playing over and over and the music was pretty tight.

I followed up with POI when it first started to air. It was a fun experience.

I also remember people compare that show to the game, "Watch Dogs". They share a bit of similarities.

It's the opposite of that. There are procedural elements yes, but everything gets tied together. The core idea of the show lets them do "monster of the week" style episodes, but the core mythology advances with each episode more than most serialized shows. The starts is a bit slow for two reasons. They likely were not sure what direction to take a few things, but mostly they were slowly planting ideas they would expand on later. And they expand on all of them. And not in a bulshitty way.

Once it gets going all episodes are different from the last, and expand on the story. I dont think any one character stays in the same place, or keeps the same mindset for more than a few episode before something logical happens to alter that and give them a new belief/drive to get something accomplished.

There is a computer in the show. I dont think that is a spoiler. The computer turns into a more compelling, layered, interesting character over the seasons than any living, breading, blooded character in many other shows.

The show is even smart with tech. They specially used a collection of old model PS3s in a episode cause only they could run Linux

It should also be noticed the the show focuses a lot of Global Surveillance, which is/was always a compelling topic, but not many people cared about it when the show began in 2011. Such topics became much bigger news in 2013 and later, so as the shows aired it managed to be topical with many of its themes.

I dont know what else to say other than the show is great. Has well developed characters. Has interesting themes running throughout, and it a great fun watch too.

Well, no I didn't watch the entire show. In general If I don't enjoy something I don't watch more of it. After reading even more of this thread it looks like it's one of those shows that fans say gets good after a whole season. Ugh.

Not really, I said the opposite loads of time.

If there is a point where it "gets good" it is much earlier on in the first season, then it expands on those ideas, and develops them more and more as it goes. The show ran 103 episodes, so at the very worst less than 10% of the show is as bad as you say it is. And to be honest, it is not bad, but a step below what comes after, which makes what came before important in retrospect. It's well written, it can do that!

Let's say the earlier episodes are points on a map. The early episodes are all separate from each other, but are still important. The more you get into the show, the more points you get on the map, and at some point along comes some string and starts connecting the points together. More points are added, and more string comes along until you have a big complex map of fascinating interconnected parts that all work very well together and and are interesting to watch.

I am not trying to force the show on anyone, but it seem this thread is now continually saying incorrect things about the show after they were refuted previously in the thread.

RootCause

I've watched it since it first aired. I have three episodes left, but I've been saving them for later viewing. Amazing show.

The show is just extremely inconsistent, especially the first two seasons. I don't think the show really starts getting anywhere near its highest highs until the last few episodes of season 1, but season 2's got a lot of rough stuff in it too, albeit scattered between increasingly great serialized episodes. Season 3 is easily the best season though, consistently strong and only a few episodes I would consider subpar (which is a great ratio for a 22 episode season).

Monocle

The show is just extremely inconsistent, especially the first two seasons. I don't think the show really starts getting anywhere near its highest highs until the last few episodes of season 1, but season 2's got a lot of rough stuff in it too, albeit scattered between increasingly great serialized episodes. Season 3 is easily the best season though, consistently strong and only a few episodes I would consider subpar (which is a great ratio for a 22 episode season).
That's good to hear. I'm partway through Season 2, and the show's been uneven with scattered moments of greatness. Season 1 is ridiculously formulaic though. Shockingly so. The only reason I stuck with it was the promise of a leap in quality. Root brought me there for a while, but then she dropped off the map and it's been business as usual ever since.

AoM

I've seen the first three seasons, and it's a pretty good show, but there's definitely some hyperbole around it. Or will the final two seasons blow me away?

jaekeem

good show, but I wish it wasn't so corny at times, given the subject matter

I also thought certain parts of the last season were a little rushed, but they were working with limited # of episodes IIRC.

Kevin

Any good deals on the complete Blu-Ray collection? Amazon seems to have the best price but it's still more then I would like to pay.

Slaythe

Forced myself to watch like 5 episodes.

Was generic, bland, sometimes hard to believe.

Had honestly no reason to keep watching.

I understand first seasons search themselves.

Angel is a good example. But it had charm and some great twists to keep your on board.

I'm sure PoI gets up there if you guys like it that much, but you can't expect people to waste their time watching two mediocre seasons just to get to the good stuff.

I'm sure PoI gets up there if you guys like it that much, but you can't expect people to waste their time watching two mediocre seasons just to get to the good stuff.

I can understand if the show is not for you. but please stop this when many in the thread are telling you otherwise. People seem to be adding more episodes and seasons to the "till it gets good" excuse with every post now.

Why is GAF hyping sub par shows like this?

Close to an epiphany. Try harder.

Been dying to watch this show for like a year or longer after reading a bunch of threads and posts about it on here.

Everything from the genre bait and switch to the spoiler free tid bits I've picked up sound so right up my alley.

Unfortunately I just can't seem to get past that first season. Think I'm on episode 5 so far and Jesus it's a slog. I know I have to stick it out and hopefully I'll do it sooner rather than later but procedurals just bore me to tears.

I don't even mind monster of the week stuff (absolutely love supernatural warts and all) but I need it to lead to something great eventually.

The last time I listened to Gaf on something like this was season 1 of Arrow to get to season 2 :/

Yes season 2 of Arrow was much better and but it wasn't enough to get me to continue on to Season 3 and not NEARLY enough to wipe away the bad taste in my mouth from the abysmal season 1.

Please tell me I won't be wasting my time if I sink another 18 hours or so into this show

Kevin

I'm in the same boat. Watched the first eight episodes so far but it's not quite clicking yet. Characters are great but I wish there was more going on then simply new cases every episode. The only serialized elements is the detective looking into their work.

When does this show really take off? Is the entire thing just cases of the week or does a larger story begin to unfold?

Top Bottom