• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Maniax User Poll Results for Favorite Characters, Personas, etc. [Spoilers]

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Akechi number 1 confidant ? Absolutely disgusting.

Makoto confirmed best girl, although hifumi is too low

Balphon

Akechi and his story arc are probably the worst part of P5, so I find his popularity a little bewildering.

The rest is mostly as expected.

I mean sure, all of what you've said more or less lines up on paper, but there are things you didn't consider, like how Futaba is actually a good character in practice. To start, Futaba's arc is undeniably solid, making up one of the biggest emotional cores of the game. Her subsequent involvement and character development in the main narrative is great and her dialogue manages to shine in a game that largely has a substandard localization (the english localization managed to tone down the gamer lingo too). Honestly, Futaba is easily one of the better characters in this game, despite her cliched trappings. One more thing:

No, i'd say agoraphobia and suicidal thoughts are pretty undesirable traits that force otaku to confront mental illness and escapism. Sure, there are a handful of "look at how quirky she is!" but Futaba's problems are (surprisingly) treated fairly seriously. It's also weird how you bring up Ohya's drinking problem when that aspect of her is almost entirely played for laughs.

Bingo.

Someone upthread touched on this very thing, that Futaba was going to be Evangelion's Rei all over again with a seriously emotionally damaged, on-the-spectrum, confident only on-line, suicidal girl getting psychological and supernatural problems addressed as the aim and MOEMOEMOEMOEMOEMOE end up being the actual hit for some.

I mean, how is even this nuanced take to be treated even as an attempt if this inevitable misaimed fandom is triggered? There's been far too much abandonment to the lower, baser function of archetypes, situations, and themes in anime anything over the recent 15 or so years and I just don't like that this could end up like a ton of others that are radioactive from abandonment to one, specific fetishistic angle and am trying to find a take like ours where it remains multifaceted.

But yah, that dating angle is off. That should be the focus of this debate on this, that putting a still vulnerable kid in a situation with someone who's more savvy is much more questionable. That I feel should best answer for her concerns rather than a blanket schism.

At the very least it should end with Sojiro having a switchblade threatening to gut Joker like a fish lol (yall know he carries dressed like that).

PK Gaming

At the very least it should end with Sojiro having a switchblade threatening to gut Joker like a fish lol (yall know he carries dressed like that).

Dude, fucking Sojiro just rolls over and lets you date her like it's nothing (and is totally okay if you cheat on her, WHAT)

If it were Dojima, Joker would receive the asskicking of his lifetime.

I thought futaba was interesting as a confidant, because, well, she's a neet. But unlike most neet, she gets better, and rejoins society, or at least was on her way to it. Most anime just make fun of them, or show them as hopeless.

Ultimadrago

Dude, fucking Sojiro just rolls over and lets you date her like it's nothing (and is totally okay if you cheat on her, WHAT)

If it were Dojima, Joker would receive the asskicking of his lifetime

If Sojiro had a special beatdown scene for Joker, I'd have laughed my ass off. An unwinnable battle with unique All-Out attack included.

dramatis

I mean sure, all of what you've said more or less lines up on paper, but there are things you didn't consider, like how Futaba is actually a good character in practice. To start, Futaba's arc is undeniably solid, making up one of the biggest emotional cores of the game. Her subsequent involvement and character development in the main narrative is great and her dialogue manages to shine in a game that largely has a substandard localization (the english localization managed to tone down the gamer lingo too). Honestly, Futaba is easily one of the better characters in this game, despite her cliched trappings. One more thing:

No, i'd say agoraphobia and suicidal thoughts are pretty undesirable traits that force otaku to confront mental illness and escapism. Sure, there are a handful of "look at how quirky she is!" but Futaba's problems are (surprisingly) treated fairly seriously. It's also weird how you bring up Ohya's drinking problem when that aspect of her is almost entirely played for laughs.
The Futaba arc is not a big emotional core of the game at all. The driving theme and message behind the story of P5 is 'taking action to change the world'. You could subtract Futaba and tie her mother's character to Sojiro, and she would be wholly irrelevant to the main narrative.

Another way to look at Futaba's arc from the design perspective is how much effort they expended on this particular waifu character compared to further development of say Yusuke, Ann, or Haru, or even using some time to clean up Akechi. Considering that Futaba is created to literally be a dream waifu, saying her arc is solid is like saying all those combined aspects of pandering are okay because they wrote a decent story to go with it. If that's the case, then why even complain about fanservice problems in any game, if the story is solid?

To put in a different way, would 'Futaba' enjoy as high a position in the polls if she was a male character who has the same story, the same mannerisms, the same confidante? If what otaku playing the game had to confront wasn't a wish fulfillment waifu, but a suicidal nerdy male?

No, such a male Futaba would not. Futaba gets more leniency because she is a waifu. Male players would see this character in a male form as weak, sissy, and annoying. Just look at the amount of complaints about Akechi and Ryuji, and the amount of people automatically handwaving Akechi's popularity as a result of fujoshi. Hilariously, the same is probably true of Futaba, but with otaku.

Otaku having to confront mental illness and escapism in the form of a dateable young, innocent waifu is not confronting mental illness and escapism at all. It's putting an escapist wrapper around serious problems that will be seen as a gateway to getting an unrealistic girl.

PK Gaming

The Futaba arc is not a big emotional core of the game at all. The driving theme and message behind the story of P5 is 'taking action to change the world'. You could subtract Futaba and tie her mother's character to Sojiro, and she would be wholly irrelevant to the main narrative.

No, it absolutely is. Futaba is the main reason the player cares about the mental shutdown cases. It's the first time the player is allowed to vicariously experience the pain of losing someone to this fucked up crime spree, and it provides a devastating follow up to that. And no, subtracting Futaba would absolutely change everything, considering the difference between a young child losing her mother (a child who had issues to begin with) and a fully grown man losing someone he deeply cared about is like night and day.

V2WRmHJ.png
7qsmITT.png

Another way to look at Futaba's arc from the design perspective is how much effort they expended on this particular waifu character compared to further development of say Yusuke, Ann, or Haru, or even using some time to clean up Akechi.

There's a lot to unpack here, but yes, Futaba's arc had quite a bit of effort put into it, but only because her arc is inexorably tied to main arc (unlike Yusuke and Ann which are incidental). The rest of your argument falls apart when you consider the above, and really, the idea that they "could have spent time polishing Akechi" is absolutely nonsensical. They occupy wholly different positions in the narrative, and taking away from the development of Futaba wouldn't magically "fix" Akechi (especially since the decisions they made with Akechi were questionable from the ground up).

Considering that Futaba is created to literally be a dream waifu, saying her arc is solid is like saying all those combined aspects of pandering are okay because they wrote a decent story to go with it. If that's the case, then why even complain about fanservice problems in any game, if the story is solid?

You have an incredibly limited way of looking at stories in fiction if you think they can't be appreciated and critiqued at the same time. Though i'd like to clarify that while I think Futaba's character has elements of pandering, I don't think it's anywhere near the degree you're suggesting. P5 has a ton of issues, but Futaba's arc is one of the high points.

To put in a different way, would 'Futaba' enjoy as high a position in the polls if she was a male character who has the same story, the same mannerisms, the same confidante? If what otaku playing the game had to confront wasn't a wish fulfillment waifu, but a suicidal nerdy male?

No, such a male Futaba would not. Futaba gets more leniency because she is a waifu. Male players would see this character in a male form as weak, sissy, and annoying. Just look at the amount of complaints about Akechi and Ryuji, and the amount of people automatically handwaving Akechi's popularity as a result of fujoshi. Hilariously, the same is probably true of Futaba, but with otaku.

No shit. This is about as basic of an observation you could possibly make. None of what you've said actually precludes Futaba from being a good character, though.

Otaku having to confront mental illness and escapism in the form of a dateable young, innocent waifu is not confronting mental illness and escapism at all. It's putting an escapist wrapper around serious problems that will be seen as a gateway to getting an unrealistic girl.

The things they do with Futaba character are a lot heavier and more genuine than what you're insinuating. She explicitly suffers from suicidal depression. She is passionless and directionless. She experiences visual and auditory hallucinations as a result of her mother's death. It's implied that she's on the spectrum. The kid has it incredibly rough, and not in a "teehee, she has it bad, but not real world bad way." Like, every single one of her problems are deeply relatable, so I wouldn't even say the character sugar coats it when it comes to being a neet. And for how lame her dependency towards Joker in her Confidant is, the game also does a good job of covering Futaba's rehabilitation as a group effort, and she doesn't immediately get over her issues. Ultimately, Futaba's character has actual craft, despite the pandering. She's completely different from say, Kawakami who's just over the top in how she panders to the player.

MoonFrog

I feel they really had more to give in Shido/Wakaba/Sojiro. They never even cleared up her death properly. Shido is stealing the research from her and also using that research to kill her. How exactly does that work in motion? How exactly is he tied to her? (And who pulled the trigger? Akechi?) And then, what was Sojiro/Shido like; what were Sojiro and Shido's jobs at the government? How did Wakaba interface with that?

And yet, it is still one of the central and better developed stories in the game. They just could've done more and I think doing more would've made the Shido arc better (as well as making Futaba and Sojiro better).

I feel that and a better capstone to Sae the ruthless prosecutor and Sae/Makoto were within reach of the game as it stands.

I also think they could've transitioned from Shido to Yaldaboath more gracefully, but there was always going to be a bit of a malaise and a 'huh?' phase as that was part of the point.

Things like doing better by Haru are further afield.

(especially since the decisions they made with Akechi were questionable from the ground up).

And so was this. The twist fit the genre well in that fake death fit the genre well (phantom thief/detective). It suited Akechi horribly and while they could have made him bear that cross better it completely betrays why he was interesting to me at first.

(Basically I think they should give that Futaba/Sojiro orbit more time/development, not less. Same to lesser degree with Makoto/Sae.)

You've gotta be able to face yourself before you can face the world.

MoonFrog

You've gotta be able to face yourself before you can face the world.
The game isn't P4 but that's still a major theme:

-Ann's dungeon has her facing how the world sees her and how she internalized that view of herself and got herself into a losing game with Kamoshida, thinking she could use her body to help her friend and be able stay one step ahead of him so as to not have to fully sacrifice herself in that way. You have her breaking the rules of that game and flipping the power dynamic through the palace adventure and she is able to look at herself in a healthier way and also reconsider what she was getting herself into. They don't follow this initial arc up well, with a relatively limp confidant and the off-key objectification of her thereafter, but it was a good start and there is something in that cloud being lifted from her.

-Ryuji is less-satisfying in this respect as I don't think his Kamoshida arc so much as his confidant feeds into him trying to come to terms with his anger and violence. And that arc fits uncomfortably in the main game.

-Yusuke is again about internalizing his own abuse, like Ann. He struggles against you solving his problems, which he alternately denies and thinks he deserves. He continues to struggle with just what his Madarame relationship throughout the course of the game, but he is made to face and accept his victimhood in his arc.

-Makoto is doing the things she 'ought' to do as society sees it but she is made aware of a distance between her justice and the justice of those who get ahead in society. Her sister is a key touchstone here: warped by following the avenues of power and success, which Makoto herself is walking obediently along. Enter the phantom thieves, Kamoshida, the drug trafficking involving minors, and the way the adults seek to use her and this comes to a head and she finds catharsis and justice with you all.

Etc.

Futaba fits right in. She's just a victim of her own delusions and morbidity, brought on by traumatic events and hints that she should think that way from people in power.

Lelcar

Ryuji is at the bottom where he belongs, a lot of this looks right, Makoto is high up... oh wait a second, Akechi is number 1? No no noooo

The game isn't P4 but that's still a major theme:

-Ann's dungeon has her facing how the world sees her and how she internalized that view of herself and got herself into a losing game with Kamoshida, thinking she could use her body to help her friend and be able stay one step ahead of him so as to not have to fully sacrifice herself in that way. You have her breaking the rules of that game and flipping the power dynamic through the palace adventure and she is able to look at herself in a healthier way and also reconsider what she was getting herself into. They don't follow this initial arc up well, with a relatively limp confidant and the off-key objectification of her thereafter, but it was a good start and there is something in that cloud being lifted from her.

-Ryuji is less-satisfying in this respect as I don't think his Kamoshida arc so much as his confidant feeds into him trying to come to terms with his anger and violence. And that arc fits uncomfortably in the main game.

-Yusuke is again about internalizing his own abuse, like Ann. He struggles against you solving his problems, which he alternately denies and thinks he deserves. He continues to struggle with just what his Madarame relationship throughout the course of the game, but he is made to face and accept his victimhood in his arc.

-Makoto is doing the things she 'ought' to do as society sees it but she is made aware of a distance between her justice and the justice of those who get ahead in society. Her sister is a key touchstone here: warped by following the avenues of power and success, which Makoto herself is walking obediently along. Enter the phantom thieves, Kamoshida, the drug trafficking involving minors, and the way the adults seek to use her and this comes to a head and she finds catharsis and justice with you all.

Etc.

Futaba fits right in. She's just a victim of her own delusions and morbidity, brought on by traumatic events and hints that she should think that way from people in power.

At least with 3/4/5, each MC acts as a catalyst for everyone they come into contact with, pushing them to challenge their problematic beliefs and eventually shattering their self-imposed limitations -- strengthening both the MC and whoever they're interacting with. Even though each entry is different in direct focus, I think you can argue that they're all centrally telling the same story: the MC revives everyone around them, helping them find a reason to live again, something to hope for.

However, 5's focus on society at large really emphasizes how real social change can only come from truly selfless, compassionate motivation. No matter how talented or capable you are, if you can't face yourself and you're driven by trauma (as we see with Akechi), you won't change anything -- you'll just keep the cycle going. Due to that, I think the whole Futaba story is great because it's showcases the transformative power of bonds at such a drastic level.

PK Gaming

I don't think his Confidant is about him coming to terms with his anger and violence, but rather, doing right by the track team and reaffirming his place in the world. It's the former that really drives him during his Confidant. He's able to endure so much abuse from his ex-teammates because he doesn't want to experience a repeat of what happened last time. Still, people aren't perfect, and Ryuji ends up falling into some bad habits in the main game. But that's intentional; it's genuinely difficult to truly change yourself.

With Ryuji, there's no main realization that leads him to becoming a better person like the others. Even after the Kamoshida arc, he uses the fact that he's a Phantom Thief as a crutch to make himself feel better, becoming obsessed with the status and power it provides. It's only at the very end where he redoubles his efforts to truly becoming a better person, culminating in the end where you can clearly tell he's gained a much better understanding of himself.

That said, he still doesn't really have his life figured out like the others. But that's okay too.

Life's one big marathon curving track after all.

MoonFrog

I don't think his Confidant is about him coming to terms with his anger and violence, but rather, doing right by the track team and reaffirming his place in the world. It's the former that really drives him during his Confidant. He's able to endure so much abuse from his ex-teammates because he doesn't want to experience a repeat of what happened last time. Still, people aren't perfect, and Ryuji ends up falling into some bad habits in the main game. But that's intentional; it's genuinely difficult to truly change yourself.

With Ryuji, there's no main realization that leads him to becoming a better person like the others. Even after the Kamoshida arc, he uses the fact that he's a Phantom Thief as a crutch to make himself feel better, becoming obsessed with the status and power it provides. It's only at the very end where he redoubles his efforts to truly becoming a better person, culminating in the end where you can clearly tell he's gained a much better understanding of himself.

That said, he still doesn't really have his life figured out like the others. But that's okay too.

Life's one big [strike[marathon[/s] curving track after all.

I'm thinking about the moments in his confidant where Ryuji uses the MC as some sort of calming token. He sets you up as the guy who can tell him to calm down and he will. It is pretty arbitrary and has little to do with what you actually do.

He wants to come to terms with his guilt with respect to what happened to his team-mates and how he failed himself too. He wants to be able to take the shit people give him, which in this case he thinks he actually deserves, and in those sorts of scenes in the confidant he lets you be "his good angel" to push himself through.

So it's about doing right by them but it is also trying to be calm. The two are intertwined because he associates his violence with selfishness.

I feel like they mostly botched the "fame" arc, putting it off mostly on Morgana. Ryuji is puffing himself up being a Phantom Thief and trying to get bigger and bigger and this obsession with size feeds into that thing with Morgana. But they never really peel that onion back wrt him, instead he's just an ass in that story line and the thrust of the whole thing is just that Morgana belongs with you all and has been feeling useless as his Metaverse knowledge is mostly passe now and he's not much of a planner, thanks to Makoto, nor directing your battles, thanks to Futaba, anymore either. He's in a rut wrt his usefulness and he's also not making any progress on his search for himself, which ties right into his frustration at just how shallow his metaverse knowledge seems to be. They don't use this to reflect back on Ryuji at all.

I also don't feel that the fame story this whole thing feeds into reaches an end point that says much about him, in particular. Rather, they just sort of pull the plug on it with the death of Haru's dad. Ryuji does react quite violently to this and you have to stop him so that constructive work can be done, but there isn't much talking time given to undermining the lust for fame thing. You just sort of say "we lost our way" and move on.

Both of these were a great opportunity for a Junpei-like arc, which explored the kinds of things you are talking about--using SEES as a crutch in that case--to good effect. It also explored jealousy about roles and importance in the group, which is what Ryuji is expressing with the whole Morgana thing: an acute sensitivity to the worth of members, which despite, his obsession with fame and his relative lack of usefulness, oddly stops short of his own door.

But they never really explore his mindset so much as it is there and you are given the opportunity to push back ineffectually at it and then...the drain is pulled. They didn't really take it anywhere.

Moreover, it doesn't seem in conversation with his confidant. The arc is not well-mobilized towards Ryuji's coming to grips with being very self-focused and allowing his feelings at the moment to make him lash out. I feel that's a thing he does in confidant and doesn't do outside of it so much.

As to the bolded, IDK if it is so much about being complete by the end of the story (idt that describes them all and I think, for example, it describes Ann too well, so it can be a bad thing) so much as their development and struggles are better written into the story or at least not conflicted by it.

You sort of get the prequel to the confidant in Kamoshida Ryuji, but the growth in perspective and self control in the confidant is not really born out in the main story. The others mostly have stronger stories at their dungeon and aren't saddled with that mess of an arc in the middle.

I thought Futaba arc was pretty emotional. When it was revealed that those men in black suits were putting the blame on Futaba with the fake suicide note to try and make her feel guilty or worse have her kill herself, I was legit furious.

That arc was one of the best parts of P5 and it made me actually care about the overreaching story. Though it's a shame that it was followed by an absolute drag of a month and then one of the worst palaces in the game. The game was so long that by the time we actually found the culprits, I didn't have any of those feelings toward them anymore.

PK Gaming

I'm thinking about the moments in his confidant where Ryuji uses the MC as some sort of calming token. He sets you up as the guy who can tell him to calm down and he will. It is pretty arbitrary and has little to do with what you actually do.

He wants to come to terms with his guilt with respect to what happened to his team-mates and how he failed himself too. He wants to be able to take the shit people give him, which in this case he thinks he actually deserves, and in those sorts of scenes in the confidant he lets you be "his good angel" to push himself through.

So it's about doing right by them but it is also trying to be calm. The two are intertwined because he associates his violence with selfishness.

You're looking at it the wrong way. Joker offers a calming presence (it's what he does), but it's not like Ryuji literally relies on Joker to tell him to calm down. He just feels better with him around. "He sets you up as the guy who can tell him to calm down and he will" is inaccurate, because at no point does Joker actually tell him to calm down. Ryuji spends most of his Confidant solving issues on his own, with Joker acting as moral support.

Again, his arc in his Confidant is not about coming to terms with his anger; it's entirely about making amends past actions and re-affirming the place where he belongs (The Phantom Thieves).

I feel like they mostly botched the "fame" arc, putting it off mostly on Morgana. Ryuji is puffing himself up being a Phantom Thief and trying to get bigger and bigger and this obsession with size feeds into that thing with Morgana. But they never really peel that onion back wrt him, instead he's just an ass in that story line and the thrust of the whole thing is just that Morgana belongs with you all and has been feeling useless as his Metaverse knowledge is mostly passe now and he's not much of a planner, thanks to Makoto, nor directing your battles, thanks to Futaba, anymore either. He's in a rut wrt his usefulness and he's also not making any progress on his search for himself, which ties right into his frustration at just how shallow his metaverse knowledge seems to be. They don't use this to reflect back on Ryuji at all.

They only botch the "convincing Morgana to join up again" sequence because it's a bad scene that's mostly filler, but everything else about Ryuji's pursuit towards fame is well done. I'm not sure there's even an onion to peel; Morgana makes it about as explicit as it could possibly get.

I also don't feel that the fame story this whole thing feeds into reaches an end point that says much about him, in particular. Rather, they just sort of pull the plug on it with the death of Haru's dad. Ryuji does react quite violently to this and you have to stop him so that constructive work can be done, but there isn't much talking time given to undermining the lust for fame thing. You just sort of say "we lost our way" and move on.

Well the lust for fame thing doesn't really work for most of the cast in general, because you don't see them falling into it like with Ryuji. A lot of characters consistently show concern before making any big moves and express worry about how big the Phantom Thieves are getting. So it's a bit weird when the group suddenly starts lambasting themselves for becoming to obsessed with fame despite the fact that Ryuji was the only who was really into it (shoutouts to Haru including herself in this). You're right about the game mostly glossing over this, which is why Ryuji's conversation with Joker lands super well, because the game actually goes back and revisit the topic that's mostly relevant to him.

Both of these were a great opportunity for a Junpei-like arc, which explored the kinds of things you are talking about--using SEES as a crutch in that case--to good effect. It also explored jealousy about roles and importance in the group, which is what Ryuji is expressing with the whole Morgana thing: an acute sensitivity to the worth of members, which despite, his obsession with fame and his relative lack of usefulness, oddly stops short of his own door.

I don't agree. Ryuji doesn't share Junpei's inferiority complex at all, so a similar arc wouldn't work. He doesn't feel insecure about his position in Phantom Thieves and he doesn't express jealously towards anyone in the group. He feels completely at home with the Phantom Thieves (a focal point in his Confidant), so there's nothing to really explore in that regard. If anything, it's the opposite; Ryuji feels empowered as a Phantom Thief. He's proud of being the fastest member and a kickass brawler, even going as far as to describe himself as a charge captain (and given his usefulness in battle, i'm inclined to agree), so i'm not even sure you could call him out on being useless. Still, he's definitely out of line for calling Morgana useless, but it's such a dumb moment and I don't think it ends up being a major milestone in his arc (Ryuji doesn't even talk about Morgana when he calls you, which goes to show how important they felt that moment was). Definitely a case of weak writing, though.

Moreover, it doesn't seem in conversation with his confidant. The arc is not well-mobilized towards Ryuji's coming to grips with being very self-focused and allowing his feelings at the moment to make him lash out. I feel that's a thing he does in confidant and doesn't do outside of it so much.

I don't think it needs to be in conversation with his Confidant. His Confidant is a nice side story follow of Kamoshida arc, while his main arc deals with him becoming conceited as a Phantom Thief. The 2 stories run in parallel with each other, and while it would have been nice if Ryuji displayed more wisdom in the main narrative, it's not like the 2 contradict directly each other (ala, P4 with characters like social link Yosuke and main story Yosuke). The scope is so much smaller in his Confidant, while Phantom Thievery is massive and I could easily see him drunk on the hype of being a Phantom Thief, but dialing it back when dealing with his "past."

As to the bolded, IDK if it is so much about being complete by the end of the story (idt that describes them all and I think, for example, it describes Ann too well, so it can be a bad thing) so much as their development and struggles are better written into the story or at least not conflicted by it.

That's not what i'm getting at. I'm talking about the Confidant stories and how all of these characters have a clear picture of where they want their lives to in the future, while Ryuji doesn't, which is fine because it's in line with his character.

You sort of get the prequel to the confidant in Kamoshida Ryuji, but the growth in perspective and self control in the confidant is not really born out in the main story. The others mostly have stronger stories at their dungeon and aren't saddled with that mess of an arc in the middle.

It literally is because his actions are 100% informed by his past experiences with Kamoshida and the team. He wants to make amends for what he's done. He remembers that being an uncooperative asshole didn't work. He explicitly mentions this in his Confidant. Also, in the main story, he's (with one exception) extremely cooperative as a Phantom Thief (arguably even more so than Morgana), even if he's a dumb asshole. These 2 stories are not in conflict with each other.

Ultimately, Ryuji's character arc suffers from some unevenness (partly due to fucking Morgana), but it's undeniable that his character is pretty dynamic (along with Futaba and Morgana), compared to the others who don't change as much in the main story after their respective arcs. It's neat.

Opa-Pa

It's always nice to read PK Gaming and Moonfrog's thoughts, you guys always catch stuff I missed or articulate opinions that I share way more eloquently than I could, so it's fun. In general it's been insightful to see what people in general thought of the cast, even when we disagree... This is a conversation I've wanted to have ever since I beat the game, but I wanted to avoid the confidants thread and didn't want to bore people in the spoiler thread with stuff I repeated ad nauseum in the OT.

I think overall this is my favorite cast in the modern series (I do like all three more or less equally), mainly because of how down to earth it is while still remaining endearing and interesting (as down to earth as a Persona cast can be anyway). But one problem that I can recognize after seeing three playthroughs (mine, my girlfriend and my sister's) is that in general there's a lot of untapped potential in the characters. I mean, the lack of plot-relevant character development a la P3 was already a problem in P4, but IMO here it sticks out more due to there being many instances where it could have happened. I remember in P3 my favorite moments in the game was seeing the characters get their ultimate personas, because those were turning points for their arcs and they showed how they wanted to tackle their shared struggle and they all aligned pretty well with their personalities and personal problems... In P5 everyone in the party (sans Morgana, I guess?) had been a direct victim of the injustices they fought, so it felt like the setup was ideal for an approach like that to character development, but yeah, a wasted opportunity.

It could have helped make the less interesting/relevant to the plot characters shine more too. After these three playthroughs I care even less about Haru, am less sympathetic of Morgana and feel more frustrated that Ann wasn't more developed/respected. It's frustrating because to me there was the opportunity for this to be the ideal modern Persona cast, but I simply can't consider it such with these issues.

Oh and about Futaba and female characters in general. The way I see it, virtually every romanceable female character in the series is designed first and foremost to be attractive to male players and only after that they get treated as "normal" characters, and it's why in general they seem to have more quirky premises going on than male social links, and P5 took this to a whole new level with a goth doctor and a goddamn teacher maid (seriously, she could have part timed as a nurse too), and I thought Futaba was going to be the main and worst victim of this, I was prepared for her to be the most insufferable character in the party based on her premise and design (Inkling similarities aside, she looked like she was a younger, innocent and shy character, so I was prepared for the worst), but somehow she subverted the majority of my expectations and ended up being one of my favorite characters in the game and the series in general.

I still have my problems with Futaba, mind you. I think the game was surprisingly tactful with her situation, but still pretty clunky with her execution... I mean, the game is very aware that forcing her to go to the beach with the party is too much, so they ackowledge it and give her some more time, but they still take a depressed, shut in younger girl who's afraid of large gatherings to the damn beach after buying her a swimsuit without her consent, only to have the token (and terrible) beach trip in the game, and the whole thing made me take her struggle less seriously. There's her romance route as well which I honestly wish wasn't a thing because while yes, she's only a year younger, the whole dynamic still feels like you're a wiser figure taking advantage of someone in need of protection and affection and it's kinda fucked up to me, but whatever. Thankfully her dungeon was fantastic and the non-romantic part of her confidant was very endearing and overall quite good.

Edit: Forgot to add this, but about the series' problem with romaceable characters, and something that bothered me a lot in particular, is that Kawakami's confidant could have been an awesome take on the realities of sex workers, but it's very sloppily handled and obviously just a roundabout, afterthought story to justify the most fetishistic (and arguably the most fucked up) romance option in the game. Sigh.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Makoto's nice. She's got that fat booty and all, but I felt that picking her would be too obvious.

I don't know how Kawakami's link could've been handled any differently. Going after anyone other than her tormentors wouldn't have changed her fortune in the slightest. Now, if you want to talk about the dangers of a teacher being too emotionally invested in her students, I guess there's something to chew on there.

LotusHD

Banned
Edit: Forgot to add this, but about the series' problem with romaceable characters, and something that bothered me a lot in particular, is that Kawakami's confidant could have been an awesome take on the realities of sex workers, but it's very sloppily handled and obviously just a roundabout, afterthought story to justify the most fetishistic (and arguably the most fucked up) romance option in the game. Sigh.

Yea, Becky was the most egregious example, but none of the adults (and Futaba) should have had romance options. At best, if they really wanted to explore the ramifications of you dating an older person (Which of course they didn't, they're there first and foremost to pander), then they could maybe leave Chihaya as an option... I guess. They're all (Except for Ohya) cool ladies, but I'm just left wishing it was never a thing, especially concerning the first arc.

Well.... At least I'm not the only one who liked Ohya, I guess :

There are dozens of you!

Opa-Pa

I don't know how Kawakami's link could've been handled any differently. Going after anyone other than her tormentors wouldn't have changed her fortune in the slightest. Now, if you want to talk about the dangers of a teacher being too emotionally invested in her students, I guess there's something to chew on there.

It could have been far better in my eyes if she wasn't a romance option and you found out about her part time job in a different way that didn't involve being a customer yourself. The way it is in the game is just an ultra fetishistic romance option that has a tragic backstory only as an excuse for the romance option in question to "make sense" (pretty much like how japanese games do that "actually, she's a 1000 year old dragon" garbage to justify loli characters).

Yea, Becky was the most egregious example, but none of the adults (and Futaba) should have had romance options. At best, if they really wanted to explore the ramifications of you dating an older person (Which of course they didn't, they're there first and foremost to pander), then they could maybe leave Chihaya as an option... I guess. They're all (Except for Ohya) cool ladies, but I'm just left wishing it was never a thing, especially concerning the first arc.!

Yeah I agree that the option to date older women shouldn't be a thing at all, but Chihaya felt like the most "harmless" choice so leaving her to explore the ramifications of a dynamic like that, as you say, could have been cool if handled well, but I don't think they cared about that angle in the slightest.

As an aside, I find it really hard to like Tae at all. Sure she's not a bad person, but the whole relationship with Joker, even leaving romance out, is pretty over the top and creepy lol. She comes off as someone I'd never want to get near to in real life, ever. So weird...

... At least she's not Ohya though lmao. What a shit character.

Dadasch

Akechi first?
Ryuji and Ann last?
Haru in front of them?

Wow, I despise Akechi and Haru's Voice is so damn annoying that I would like to mute her constantly.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah I agree that the option to date older women shouldn't be a thing at all, but Chihaya felt like the most "harmless" choice so leaving her to explore the ramifications of a dynamic like that, as you say, could have been cool if handled well, but I don't think they cared about that angle in the slightest.

As an aside, I find it really hard to like Tae at all. Sure she's not a bad person, but the whole relationship with Joker, even leaving romance out, is pretty over the top and creepy lol. She comes off as someone I'd never want to get near to in real life, ever. So weird...

... At least she's not Ohya though lmao. What a shit character.

Yea she's great, and it's partially because it's a game that it didn't immediately occur to me, but the whole giving you random drugs to test out is suspect af out of context. We know her story, but at first glance she's the exact type of person you'd want a minor to stay away from lmao

It could have been far better in my eyes if she wasn't a romance option and you found out about her part time job in a different way that didn't involve being a customer yourself. The way it is in the game is just an ultra fetishistic romance option that has a tragic backstory only as an excuse for the romance option in question to "make sense".
You're saying that Kawakami is only available to Joker because she's loose, and not because he made an effort to pull her butt out of the fire when no one else gave her a second glance? I don't agree with that at all.

Opa-Pa

You're saying that Kawakami is only available to Joker because she's loose, and not because he made an effort to pull her butt out of the fire when no one else gave her a second glance? I don't agree with that at all.

I'm not questioning the reason she falls for him, I'm saying the option to romance her shouldn't be there at all because it's quite obvious that her whole gimmick of being a maid as a side job is only a thing to make her an attractive romance option for the player and not to add anything to her character or make any sort of statement about people who go through similar stuff in real life.

I mean the fact that she's a dateable adult, and your teacher at that is already bad enough, but to also make her a sex worker is adding insult to injury.

I'm not questioning the reason she falls for him, I'm saying the option to romance her shouldn't be there at all because it's quite obvious that her whole gimmick of being a maid as a side job is only a thing to make her an attractive romance option for the player and not to add anything to her character or make any sort of statement about people who go through similar stuff in real life.

I mean the fact that she's a dateable adult, and your teacher at that is already bad enough, but to also make her a sex worker is adding insult to injury.
I'll give you the sex worker thing being a slap to the face, but I think the maid thing is pretty much in line with her need to take care of others and probably among the most low-key of side jobs she could've taken.

LotusHD

Banned
I'll give you the sex worker thing being a slap to the face, but I think the maid thing is pretty much in line with her need to take care of others and probably among the most low-key of side jobs she could've taken.

Eh... I dunno about all that lol

Can't comment on her character since I didn't do her confidant ( will do in new game plus) but I imagine most people didn't vote for her because her confidant had the worst abilities and it was in a different district.

I kinda like the character from what I have seen but yeah.

Looking up what you unlock with her seems useless and I would rather use that time to main Kawakami

Top Bottom