• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

LotusHD

Banned
So who is the smartest person in the game: Makoto, Takemi, Futaba or Akechi?

Well for one, it's obviously Joker, but...

Um, if we're talking smartest in the traditional sense, then Futaba of course.

If we include stuff like social or emotional intelligence, then go with the adult I guess.

Making coffee for her all day. Now that's a life worth living! <3

By the way, September spoilers:
is she really not coming to Hawaii? I'm pretty sure I saw a screenshot of her there, did I just get rekt by some RNG? I'm gonna hate Makoto for the rest of my life if she doesn't come.

She only comes if you're Rank 10 and Romantic with her I believe

mollipen

Another reason Makoto is the best (from Twitter):

C_qJwKAV0AAJjJS.jpg

C_qJwKBUIAAksFG.jpg

C_qJwKCVoAAwCZi.jpg

Jintor

all the cards are actually fucked up in p5. like the sun is supposed to be a warm life bringer or whatever but actually it's just boiling everyone underneath it.

Defuser

So who is the smartest person in the game: Makoto, Takemi, Futaba or Akechi?
Medical - Takemi
Technology - Futaba
School knowledge - Kawakami
Logic and planning - Makoto
Fraud knowledge - Akechi, his display in gaming the system in Sae's palace is impressive.
His detective skills though are a sham.

MoonFrog

The thing with persona girls is that you are most often spared any pain from rejecting them in the explicit scenes.

It is things like them running off awkwardly after you reject them or fail to confess, EVEN if they seem fine with it in the moment that makes you stop and pause and think that, yes, you did just hurt that girl.

I'm thinking of Ann right there. And that makes you think: was she setting me up for a confession right there (she didn't point blank ask me if I liked her)? Did she expect one? Am I reading too much into the text about how she left me? Idk. In the light of the next conversation, it reads to me like I did hurt her and she thought about what I could still be to her and she talks to me about that in 10.

For me, Ann is the girl I didn't have a romance with, thought I was just good friends with, who actually liked me. And the last part is pretty much just on her running away at that time. And it confuses me.

My point is, their pain tends to be implied rather than explicit and a lot of the times what makes the actual rejection moment hard is not the content before your eyes but the content of your heart and mind and then little things sync up with that reaction and seem to tell you it is right.

Or to look at this another way, look at Futaba. Girl is obviously thirsty and lets you redefine that as friendship, the same feeling she has for the others (which it obviously isn't), without complaint. Persona is so lenient on you.

Yet it doesn't always feel that way :p.

Lunar15

Very satisfied with picking Hifumi. It felt like a romance separate from all the drama of the cast and the main conflict. Her scenes are very cute and intimate.

Defuser

"Alright NG+,time to romance other girls at the hawaii school trip..."

*Hifumi's msg: I'll be waiting for you in a swimsuit*

"FUCK ROMANCING THE REST OF THE GIRLS! HIFUMI HERE I COME!"

MoonFrog

Very satisfied with picking Hifumi. It felt like a romance separate from all the drama of the cast and the main conflict. Her scenes are very cute and intimate.
To the bolded (and perhaps it is not on point :p? You can correct me with what you meant :)):

Sometimes you just need to get out...Seriously a large part of why I picked Rise in 4.

I didn't want to play into the drama and issues between Yukiko/Chie about boys. Sure, the game would never play to that but really, if they both liked one boy and they had those sort of boy issues between them...I didn't want to step on that.

Add in that I liked Rise's conversations (and I do think they are better done) and that neither Yukiko nor Chie completely sold themselves to me and...by elimination I pick Rise and give Yukiko and Chie something to vent about together and bond over, despite the fact that, on paper, Yukiko and Chie both have more things I tend to go for, even if in actuality they don't land all of them well for me (especially Chie, which is another horn of this dilemma (well, I'm not actually counting the horns so maybe it isn't a dilemma). Chie is the more obvious recourse out of the issue above, but Chie seriously undersold to me).

I'm struggling to find any girl very interesting. I like how original futaba feels so far. But Ann and Makoto are boring. Yusuke is nothing special. I like Ryuji still.

I root for Becky somehow. I also like Takemi alot

I finally have max. charm, and now, for some reason, I can't find Makoto anywhere?

Can't find her at the student council room and I can't find her in front of the school gates?

BUT I AM!!!!

Fuck this game. I'm burning my PS4.

I know that if
you get her mission on the first day back after the break, go to Mementos ASAP (literally as soon as you are allowed) and then progress her link at every opportunity and go Romantic she comes. You may miss a key date with anything slower. I vaguely remember both her and Hifumi telling me they'd be coming at some point during that week (Hifumi says she's going on a class trip but gets redirected for the same reason Yusuke does).

SenkiDala

Isn't Haru the only one that explicitly has feelings for the protagonist way before the romantic slink rank event?

Well, at least she's the only one that, when you reject her, openly shows that she is sad and disappointed. All the other girls when you say "just friends" they're like "ah yeah of course, I'll keep doing my best for the team", but Haru is clearly sad, she even asks you to leave.

Went with Makoto 1st (was nice but she's a pretty cold girl overall, even if I like her character a lot), Futaba 2nd (was better imo, she's cuter, seems more involved in the relationship). Will try Ohya on the 3rd playthrough in hardest mode. :p

Those romances mechanics are something I enjoy in Persona, but it's also it's weakness, and they didn't correct it in p5, which is my only complaint about the game. I'll exeplain: in P4G (my first persona) I romanced Yukiko and was surprised how little importance our relationship had in the plot, or in the scenes with the other members of the team... In fact it had zero impact, those scenes are all separated and whoever you date, the "not romance scenes" are always the same. I understand how much work it would be to adapt the dialogues, the scenes, with every possible romance, but honestly it often makes things a bit off... With Futaba in p5 I was "her bf" so in the romance scenes she's tender, etc etc, and in story scenes she's like very distant and seem shy in front of me, or feel awkward. I'd rather have half less romance choices but want them to have more impact in story scenes.

Oh again about Futaba (minimal spoilers about her social link and palace 7, no story spoiler),
not even about romance, when you max her at 10, and go after to the 7th Palace and have to listen to some poeple to gather informations, she stays apart and if you talk to her she says that "she's too shy because there's too much people" like she is at the start of her social link... But at the end of her social link she is way better and can walk alone in Akiba or Harajuku in the middle of thousands of persons! Again it's a proof that the story dialogues are "as neutral as possible", but in that case again it sounds off.
:/

Renekton

Well, at least she's the only one that, when you reject her, openly shows that she is sad and disappointed. All the other girls when you say "just friends" they're like "ah yeah of course, I'll keep doing my best for the team", but Haru is clearly sad, she even asks you to leave.
To me she just seemed super embarassed for asking a really awkward question.

She looked genuinely surprised when the president brought up the idea of a relationship between her and Joker.

The other pair she uses inside her room is an AKG K701, not Senns.
Okay Futaba has excellent taste in audio <3

Zafir

To me she just seemed super embarassed for asking a really awkward question.

She looked genuinely surprised when the president brought up the idea of a relationship between her and Joker.

Well, you can be into a person and not really realise it yourself until someone brings it up. I think that's probably the case with Haru.

I don't think her reaction was just because of embarrassment.

Weiss

Banned
Honestly other than maybe Chihaya all the adult Confidant romances felt... wish fulfillmenty?

Like I sorta could see Kawakami and in fairness she calls it off until you're older but it still feels so goddamn wrong for a teacher to actually fall for her student, and Tae's a goddamn doctor.

I guess Ohya's enough of a dumb drunk to go for it.

MoonFrog

You took too long, she asked Ryuji instead and they hooked up for real.

People were saying Futaba/Yusuke and Makoto/Ryuji have about that level of tension in several conversations too :p. Surprised I haven't seen that reinterpreted as sexual. But then, I really only read this thread and that since whatever page I joined it on (post-100).

Also...I'm glad about that :p.

Yeah - they got along really well by the end, and it'd be something new.

It'd be interesting/refreshing if you couldn't have every girl and if other people could actually have a love life.

But then...some people would also lose their waifu, and it could always be yours :p.

Still it would be for the narrative betterment of the series.

MSMrRound

Fuck this game for not shipping Ryuji and Ann, god dammit. I had a mini-rant with a friend about the whole thing.

Don't worry. They can always work on the Ann-Ryuji/Futaba-Yusuke pairing in the anime adaptation then keep harping on it in the spin-off games.

Top Bottom