• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

MoonFrog

One of the things with Makoto is they do the faux dating thing but you can't usually use that to press intimacy like it is traditionally used. She gets annoyed at that mostly.

I remember one time I got music notes from pushing that line when I wanted to try a new dialogue choice on another playthrough, but it was because she misinterpreted what I meant by serious.

You get to Makoto by being interested in what she is talking about mostly.

You don't get to her by flattering her, or teasing her, or flirting, for the most part.

It is a bit unfortunate, because she can be fun to tease imo, and I would tease that girl in real life even as I took her his zealous passion seriously. Small thing because you usually don't need too many notes with her, but I'd appreciate a couple of the jokey lines getting some...

Aren't many great "flirt" options, though, imo anyways.

Renekton

So far the only romantic options that show interest in Joker are Chihaya and Futaba. Everybody else is like "wait a sec, why are you so helpful?"

So far the only romantic options that show interest in Joker are Chihaya and Futaba. Everybody else is like "wait a sec, why are you so helpful?"

The only other one that will send you blatant signals throughout her Co-Op is Haru.

Everyone else is more neutral until you confess at Rank 9.

IIRC Ohya's sort of fishing when she asks that question.

Haru's not exactly subtle but she got put in that position by an outside force.

Hifumi and Makato both react well to flirting during the Hawaii trip.

That's about it , I think.

Renekton

Ohya also did the "are you helping me because you wanna get with me?" thing.

For Haru it didn't occur to her until the company president brought it up.

As a doormat irl 😙 I didn't feel good about helping them just for the relationship so stayed friends.

For the Hawaii vacation it felt like a different writer wrote the dating scenes because after that Mak and Shogimaster went back to strictly business.

PInk Tape

Banned
pffft

C-62ZxlXkAAN0FO.jpg

MoonFrog

Oh another thing Makoto likes is you being skilled/worldly and encouraging/indulgent to her curiosity. I do really like her curiosity and it is fun to show her things, especially with how into them she gets.

I mean, Makoto's romance is self-aware of this issue with her and it is telling that a) she likes it when you tell her that couples can be like you and her are, b) that even after you are dating she claims she can't be the bubbly girlfriend and is more curious and interested in food and souvenirs than date-y about them, and c) she is incredibly embarrassed and self-conscious when seeking physical affection from you.

The girl loves deeply, imo just like she is deeply interested and curious but those often show more in the scope of her attention. Sure, she also loses herself at the arcade or watching a crime flick, but more often it is her intense focus and interest that highlights her passion.

And I do think she is intensely curious about the main character, from early on, both in the main narrative and in the social link.

I guess what a lot of us want is more of the ferocious creature within. Like when she first gets her persona. But she is extremely self conscious even when she is getting overwhelmed with love.

As I said before, I think a Makoto romance works very well within the context of the main narrative and there are some real high points to her social link, but her affection can seem a bit elusive at times. And it is a bit. Because it is that sort of passion, her dad's passion, which she does her best to hide while also being completely driven by it.

As to the teasing thing--I actually like a lot of her responses as written, I'd just like a musical cue to show me I'm not just giving her a bad time, which, perhaps I am :p.

PK Gaming

One of the things with Makoto is they do the faux dating thing but you can't usually use that to press intimacy like it is traditionally used. She gets annoyed at that mostly.

I remember one time I got music notes from pushing that line when I wanted to try a new dialogue choice on another playthrough, but it was because she misinterpreted what I meant by serious.

You get to Makoto by being interested in what she is talking about mostly.

You don't get to her by flattering her, or teasing her, or flirting, for the most part.

Yeah, this is why the Makoto romance route fucking owns.

ElFly

I think I would have loved if Makoto had kept her rebel / furious identity from the persona reveal

she goes back to goodie two shoes immediately

Mediking

Seriously.

Chihaya....

The hype might be real with her, you guys.

She's adorable....

And I... I.... just witnessed a scene with Futaba and she was super adorable in it too...

Seriously.

Chihaya....

She's adorable....

And I... I.... just witnessed a scene with Futaba and she was super adorable in it too...

Both are in fact adorable. I don't envy you that choice, Chihaya was up there for me too especially.

I think I would have loved if Makoto had kept her rebel / furious identity from the persona reveal

she goes back to goodie two shoes immediately

I don't get why this is something people bring up about Makoto as if everybody else keeps their PT gimmick outside of the metaverse 24/7. You can be two things. You can have conflicting personality traits that reveal themselves in different situations.

Kyuur

I felt so bad turning Haru down during her rank 9. Every other character so far has basically been fine with it but she was fucking crushed. :(

JBwB

Seriously.

Chihaya....

She's adorable....

Ah Chihaya... That cute and adorable country bumpkin.

If Haru and Kawakami didn't exist she'd be the one I'd choose.

Eylos

Banned
Her persona is literally called Milady. Look at that hat. Haru is straight up a fedora neckbeard.

Milady is based on milady de winter

Described as being twenty-two, tall, fair-haired and uncommonly beautiful, with brilliant blue eyes and black lashes and brows, Milady also possesses a voice that can seduce and bewitch.[1] A capable and intelligent French spy who can effortlessly pass as a native Englishwoman,[2] Milady's beautiful exterior hides a diabolically cunning, ruthless and cruel interior; she is remorseless and unrepentant for her countless "misdeeds" and often described as appearing demonic and frighteningly ugly in the instant when she is thwarted in her aims.

Milady is based on milady de winter

Described as being twenty-two, tall, fair-haired and uncommonly beautiful, with brilliant blue eyes and black lashes and brows, Milady also possesses a voice that can seduce and bewitch.[1] A capable and intelligent French spy who can effortlessly pass as a native Englishwoman,[2] Milady's beautiful exterior hides a diabolically cunning, ruthless and cruel interior; she is remorseless and unrepentant for her countless "misdeeds" and often described as appearing demonic and frighteningly ugly in the instant when she is thwarted in her aims.

I'm aware that Haru's persona and characterization isn't actually based on being attractive to Reddit Redpillers with anime avatars. It just so happens that she falls nicely into that category :p

Haru and Morgana are perfect for each other. Until he starts pining after Lady Ann and Haru goes Yandere and turns him into her newest ugly sweater.

Rainy

Banned
I enjoyed Ann's Social Link a lot.

I romanced her and I still have one more rank to go but I did enjoy seeing her grow over the course of the game. All the interaction with Mika forced her to reflect a bit and grow as a character and I liked the scenes with Shiho. It was just kinda relatable. Also Ann's adorable so yeah.

MoonFrog

I enjoyed Ann's Social Link a lot.

I romanced her and I still have one more rank to go but I did enjoy seeing her grow over the course of the game. All the interaction with Mika forced her to reflect a bit and grow as a character and I liked the scenes with Shiho. It was just kinda relatable. Also Ann's adorable so yeah.

I enjoyed it a lot as a social link (she's really amusing and the dialogue choices are on point as are the music notes), but had a harder time with the romantic angle.

I'd appreciate expanded impressions on the romance if you want to give them :).

Rainy

Banned
I enjoyed it a lot as a social link (she's really amusing and the dialogue choices are on point as are the music notes), but had a harder time with the romantic angle.

I'd appreciate expanded impressions on the romance if you want to give them :).

I'll do so when I complete her last social link event! I'm kinda saving it because I don't want it to be over so soon LOL. (I'm only on 08/29).

Mediking

More like.... Ann is considered very beautiful and attractive in the game by various of people. Yet she's incredibly down to earth and kind-hearted. She just wants inner strength so she can become strong for herself and the people close to her.

I've said this over and over but it's really hard for me to see Ann as an romantic choice. She and Joker are just really good friends. Almost even best friend levels.

And there's nothing wrong with that. When Joker and Ann was studying together in that diner... I smiled because the scene felt incredibly genuine and heart-warming.

But my perception of how Joker would view Ann isn't exactly how the game showcases it. Joker literally pervs on her a few times in the game. Lol maybe he can't help it but he does perv on her.

Rainy

Banned
More like.... Ann is considered very beautiful and attractive in the game by various of people. Yet she's incredibly down to earth and kind-hearted. She just wants inner strength so she can become strong for herself and the people close to her.

I've said this over and over but it's really hard for me to see Ann as an romantic choice. She and Joker are just really good friends. Almost even best friend levels.

And there's nothing wrong with that. When Joker and Ann was studying together in that diner... I smiled because the scene felt incredibly genuine and heart-warming.

But my perception of how Joker would view Ann isn't exactly how the game showcases it. Joker literally pervs on her a few times in the game. Lol maybe he can't help it but he does perv on her.

I mean I think the variety of choices we have in Persona games allows you to view certain relationships how you want to, so your viewpoint is pretty valid too! I just liked her and Joker together myself. But I do get you.

Also does Chihaya's social link start after you complete that Mementos quest?

Mediking

I mean I think the variety of choices we have in Persona games allows you to view certain relationships how you want to, so your viewpoint is pretty valid too! I just liked her and Joker together myself. But I do get you.

Also does Chihaya's social link start after you complete that Mementos quest?

Meeting Chihaya requires getting to a certain point in the story that allows you to get to her area.

Actually doing her social link requires 100,000 Money and Mementos.

She's worth it though. She's adorable so far. Joker giving her signs that he's of the Phantom Thieves but she can't see it.

MoonFrog

Yeah. Much the way I read Ann. That's partly why I'm interested in an alternate take with a romantic angle.

Personally, I can go on and on about Makoto. And I have. But I have tunnel vision a bit :p. I can talk Futaba. I can't really talk Haru. I don't get Ann romance. I find it hard to take the adult choices too deeply into consideration.

Nice to read other people's experiences for that reason, imo. See another side to characters and such.

Mediking

Yeah. Much the way I read Ann. That's partly why I'm interested in an alternate take with a romantic angle.

Personally, I can go on and on about Makoto. And I have. But I have tunnel vision a bit :p. I can talk Futaba. I can't really talk Haru. I don't get Ann romance. I find it hard to take the adult choices too deeply into consideration.

Nice to read other people's experiences for that reason, imo. See another side to characters and such.

Mhmmm.

The game does make it clear that Joker IS attracted to Ann.

The game also is trying to ship Joker with Makoto various times (Palace 4).

Lol you like Futaba?

MoonFrog

Mhmmm.

The game does make it clear that Joker IS attracted to Ann.

The game also is trying to ship Joker with Makoto various times (Palace 4).

Lol you like Futaba?
I think Futaba is cute, yeah.

Personally, I will probably always date Makoto. I like her a lot. But if it weren't Makoto, it'd be Futaba. I said upthread I feel the Futaba romance could use some gap time, to sort out dependence issues, but yeah it would be my second choice.

I both identify with Makoto and Futaba in certain ways and they're both also attractive others.

But Makoto is ultimately more my type and I like the narrative better.

Tbh, this game is in general the best dating game for me between 3,4,5. Usually it is a less snug fit onto a waifu for me.

Mediking

I think Futaba is cute, yeah.

Personally, I will probably always date Makoto. I like her a lot. But if it weren't Makoto, it'd be Futaba. I said upthread I feel the Futaba romance could use some gap time, to sort out dependence issues, but yeah it would be my second choice.

I both identify with Makoto and Futaba in certain ways and they're both also attractive others.

But Makoto is ultimately more my type and I like the narrative better.

Tbh, this game is in general the best dating game for me between two different 3,4,5. Usually it is a less snug fit onto a waifu for me.

Futaba is cute.

Mitsuru will always be the ultimate waifu.

Sae has the chance to dethrone her. I havent beat the game so I dunno yet. Lol

Makoto has "waifuuuuu!" written all over her.

Top Bottom