• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Skyo

Arghh im so pissed! My sun rank is stuck on 8, did some googling and found out that the confidant stops appearing around Nov. Maxed all confidants except Sun...sad times ;(

Am I screwed out of finishing the Temperence Confidant? I've got it up to rank 8 and the guide I checked says
there's supposed to be an event at school, but I can't get into the main building since it's December...

What the heck, Sojiro, Iwai, and Yoshida's tales are awesome. They should be near the top.

Am I screwed out of finishing the Temperence Confidant? I've got it up to rank 8 and the guide I checked says
there's supposed to be an event at school, but I can't get into the main building since it's December...
I finished her link before that point but can't you just call her?

JBwB

You are, unfortunately.

Unfortunately yes. You gotta
go into Mementos like most other non-party confidants and she gives you that quest in school.

Damn, oh well. Not like I was gonna get even close to maxing out the confidants in my playthrough, I haven't even started the Fortune one lol.

Renekton

AFAIK all the relationships except maybe Futaba are better off platonic because they all are chasing their renewed career goals and have no time for long distance with Joker.

AFAIK all the relationships except maybe Futaba are better off platonic because they all are chasing their renewed career goals and have no time for long distance with Joker.
That's quite a leap considering nothing conflicts with some of their career goals and having a boyfriend that comes to move with them after like high school is over. I mean you are a third year.

If Sojiro, Yoshida and Iwai aren't the top 3 in a confidants list then it's invalid.

...So how come your grumpy guardian, a washed up politician and an ex-yakuza have the best confidants.

MoonFrog

I mean, long distance can work and so can love and a career and ambitions.

Heck, you are long distance from Futaba too anyway.

If Sojiro, Yoshida and Iwai aren't the top 3 in a confidants list then it's invalid.

...So how come your grumpy guardian, a washed up politician and an ex-yakuza have the best confidants.

Because a) they're men and b) they aren't fuel to the pyre of your manhood in the way your friends are (in part).

The female social links are always going to be judged more harshly because of their romantic content and people are more idiosyncratic with what they are looking for there and more easily dissatisfied. So partly it is a warped perspective that makes the male social links, overall, more satisfactory and less controversial.

They're also talked about sooo much more so the critical corpus on them is much more extensive and much harder to avoid. We can all sit around and say how awesome Sojiro, Iwai, or Yoshida are without getting much flak, whereas the body of argumentation in here is about how the romances work, the ups and downs of the female social links, etc.

But...there is also a content problem in romance that you circumvent with the male social links. Romantic beats tend to be fairly low brow in anime content and grab at your id. It tends to lower the quality of the content from a critical lens often-times. Sure, you have posts in here that go on about how a romance is good, and I've written plenty, but they can be quite embarrassing to write and re-read and the more frequent route is to just say such and such is good and to critique other romances.

So I think it is also, at times, a real distinction between the two but...

This romantic content is, again, more intensely under the microscope than melodramatic or humorous content (perhaps it should be). Looking at it is more likely to illicit "yeah that's dumb but cute" and general squeeing, that is abandoning pretensions of critique to just enjoy something, than the other two.

If you feel for Iwai's story you are much less likely to stop and go "this story touched me in this way because I am this way psychologically and I should be aware of that," than you are to do that with romantic content. You are more likely to go "this is good."

And also, it is worth noting that more than romance happens in the girls' stories, yet that can disappear in the talk online.

So my point is...I do think that Sojiro, Iwai, and Yoshida are top tier social links and perhaps the best. But I do think the general narrative that the girls and women have worse social links than male characters is over-diagnosis and coming at the female social links with a one size fits all approach.

But that is a point about the conversation in general, not anything you were saying.

Well, I've reached the end of my free days with confidants. Poor Makoto, the only one of my party members who I didn't finish ranking up. I only maxed out my charm on the very last day I had available lol.

I almost didn't max Star because I thought the last day was sooner than it actually was, so I wasted one slot and had to reload my save when I saw I still had more time to spend with her.

This will break people on this thread :p

Kotaku: Persona 5 Confidants, Ranked

I somewhat agree with this list...

But I don't get the hate for Ryuji.

I mean, he's loud and hotblooded but it's what I like about him. everyone else is so calm and composed, he doesn't feel right. He's the only one very expressive and that makes his flaws more believable to me. His Skull costume is probably the most striking design in the game. I just love it

I also agree with the comment on Ann : she's an amazing design but she doesn't have any charm. She's just doing modeling because she's pretty and for fun : she's not putting any work, doesn't have any goal and dream any redeeming quality nor personality. Rise was 100x better at this role there no comparaison possible here. She's bland and boring when not borderline annoying because how oblivious she is.

That's a shame because again, her design is amazing. Compared to the boring design of Makoto (I really think her palace costume is so bad and lazy but I like the concept, I just wish they made it differently) that end up very charming and very useful with an actual true character progression through the story (doing the november palace atm)

tl:dr Ryuji is fine, Ann is boring and useless, Makoto looks dull but she's having a great character progression.

Ladekabel

My top three waifus:

1. Makoto
2. Hifumi
3. Haru

And I haven't even started Haru's Social Link because my Proficiency doesn't want to go to level 5.

Tae, Kawakami and Chihaya are great, too, and I'm all for dating older women but not if you're a high school student without ambition to become the French president.

The problem with doing a rank list like that is there's a lot of different criteria. Do you rank based on how much you like the character? Do you rank based on how good that Confidant's story arc is? Do you rank based on perks? Do you rank on whether it works as a romance? Those are often kind of contradictory in this game. If it was ranked based on romance, I would put Kawakami on the low end, but if it was based on the plot of the Confidant, Kawakami is top 4 alongside Futaba, Yusuke and Makoto.

Screw it, rushed lists here. Not counting the twins and ones I didn't do (I didn't even know Shinya was a thing until I beat the game and read an online guide).

By benefits: Kawakami > Futaba (those buffs saved my ass) > members of the party > Hifumi > Sojiro (synergy with Kawakami is OP) > Shinya (Mostly used gun abilities for weaknesses alone until One Shot Kill) > Mishima > Tae > Chihaya > Yoshida (if I was trying to minmax more or was on a harder difficulty, I would value it more) > Iwai > Ohya (trash)

By story: Futaba > Makoto > Yusuke > Kawakami > Sojiro > Ann > Hifumi > Tae > Haru > Iwai > Yoshida > Chihaya >Ryuji (mixed on him in the non-confidant stuff but I like his confidant) > Mishima > Ohya (trash)

By romance: Futaba > Makoto >
Yusuke should be here
> Ann > Haru > Hifumi > Chihaya > Tae > Kawakami > Ohya (trash)

mollipen

This will break people on this thread :p

Kotaku: Persona 5 Confidants, Ranked

Makoto at #1 and Ryuji dead last?

Xdldl.gif

Also, Yoshida was ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.

Valonquar

I kinda wish they would have made it where some of the other characters end up dating after you've dated one of the other ones.

KraytarJ

Makoto' confidant is atrocious. If you take it alone, without thinking about Makoto as she is in the story, I legitimately think it's the worst one in the game.

Quonny

Yusuke gets the number one moment in the whole game, so while you can't romance him and that sucks, at least we get that.

ShadyK54

I kinda wish they would have made it where some of the other characters end up dating after you've dated one of the other ones.

That'd be neat. Like Ann: just have her & Ryuji show up to the hideout one day holding hands & stuff like "hey we're dating now" (if that's what you meant lol)

Dee Dee

Yusuke gets the number one moment in the whole game, so while you can't romance him and that sucks, at least we get that.

I'm just quoting this because people don't talk about Yusuke in this thread enough, period.

I only just started Palace 6 and got lots of Akechi points but
wtf, don't I get an awakening scene for him? I'll sue you Atlus! Writing that subpoena now!!

Stanning for Akechi is a wild ride. I felt incredibly sorry for him in October. Now in Palace 6 he's suddenly
"Bitch, I got this, just stay in the back seat." which is a bit... off putting?
Also cool though?
When I opted him into my party, his dialogue was something like "You will need me in this Palace dummy, of course you bring me along."
Hmmkay.
Then he goes all "I'll one shot this guy, watch me" in the first boss encounter, and I'm all excited... yaaayy, Akechi all-out animation, let's goooo... but then the boss blocks Curse attacks. lol?
Joker finished the boss off.

He's still the best. I'd hug him.

Also, he flirts so much with the MC, I think there has to be a way to incorporate a romance option for a FemMC into his S-Link.

"Honey, I'm home!"

Not sure where his character might lead me though. Story-progressed S-Links scare me.
#badfeelingaboutthis

kuroshiki

The most boring, straight-as-an-arrow, personality-void character in the entire game is the best confidant?

Okay, sure.

Well Makoto's straight as an arrow was actually refreshing to me when industry is filled with wacky goofy socially inept character that has some dark background story filled with 'awww so you were treated poorly as a child' shit.

Quonny

Anyone make a list of like which ones are the most useful benefit-wise yet?

1. Igor. I mean, come on. He gives you Third Eye and the ability to negotiate with Persona. Plus all the expanded stock.
2. Chihaya. Social stats + confidants ranks for free with no time wasted. Broken beyond belief.
3. Tae. SP accessory. Nothing else needs to be said.
4. Kawakami. Massage + can make stuff for you.

The four above are S tier.

5. Caroline and Justine. Triangle Fusion alone is super gewd, but Special Treatment, depending on how you play the game, can really give you an edge.
6. Shinya. Down Shot is super useful, and Bullet Up helps.
7. Mishima. EXP up is always helpful.
8. Hifumi. Instant runaway becomes nearly essential in very specific situations (Reaper farming, if you find yourself stuck in a Palace, etc).
9. Futaba. Free buffs are always good, but the RNG aspect of them is meh. Scanning floors in Mementos is useful, however.
10. Ryuji. Instant Kill is a godsend if you're level 99.

Everything after here is so middling it's not even worth discussing.

Cess007

Stanning for Akechi is a wild ride. I felt incredibly sorry for him in October. Now in Palace 6 he's suddenly
"Bitch, I got this, just stay in the back seat." which is a bit... off putting?

I mean, Futaba express it better:
For a newbie, he sure does boss around a lot
lol

Makoto' confidant is atrocious. If you take it alone, without thinking about Makoto as she is in the story, I legitimately think it's the worst one in the game.

I agree.

Makoto is probably my favorite character in the game but that absolutelybotched her Confidant. It's awful.

Thankfully, her main narrative stuff is best-in-class.

RalchAC

When it comes to my preferences, something like this is my list:

1.- Sojiro: I genuinely love this dude. He is the perfect example of what the game tells people they shouldn't be. He is just there, living his life, trying to not care about others and hoping to be left in peace in that Café forever. But life usually isn't that easy, and it shows in his Confidant storyline. By the end of his storyline,
which was gated by different events (and it should, IMO, since otherwise there'd have been some disconnection with the main plot) he is turned into a supporting father figure, and manages to create a family out of a bunch of people that had nothing to do with each other. His relationship with the MC is rather special. I've said in other threads that Joker feels a lot more emotionally mature than he should due his age. For that reason, his relationship with Sojiro feels more like the relationship a 20-something years old person would have with his parents. The power dynamic is different, and because of it, the relationship changes too.

2. Yusuke: I'd say that him, Ryuji's and Haru's are the party members with the strongest Confidants, but he gets the edge due to how personal his story is. Besides being absolutely hilarious (which nets him some points), his struggle is about
figuring out that people is never as good or as bad as we think they are
. In the 2nd Palace,
he only sees the worst side of Madarame
, and the Confidant storyline of him focuses on
him coming to terms that, after 16 years, he'd obviously have some feelings toward him.
The human heart is
indeed a weird and contradictory mess.

3. Haru: despite how overwhelmming she is in the story, her Confidant (and, well, her Mementos banter too) are really great. Her Confidant isn't about solving her problems using your natural charisma or your supernatural powers, but about being there, telling her you are there when she needs you and seeing how she makes her own decisions and solves her problems by herself. It was really neat seeing her get braver and stronger as her Confidant passes. Plus, she likes Coffee. Even poop coffee. That always nets points.

4. Ryuji: in my humble opinion, the last truly great party member to have a great storyline. It's available rather early and, as you advance it, you see him
solving a similar problem to Kamoshida's but in a completely different way.
You are there to support him, help him when needed. By the end of his Confidant,
his anger issues are a bit better and he's learned a valuable lesson: people shouldn't do good things looking for recognition, but for the sake of doing the right thing.
It compliments his story arc in the story.

5. Yoshida: in a game like Persona 5, having him was quite necessary. He was everything that a politician shouldn't be when he first was elected, suffered the consequences, learnt from his mistakes and tried to get elected again, but now for the sake of other people, not his own. He is everything a politician should be, and for a while I have to say it was great thinking that such a person existed. Seeing how in 12/18
he became a member of the Diet was great.

6. Takemi: Another really good Confidant for me. In the same way than 2,3 and 4 may change depending of my mood, she and Yoshida stood out for me as the best adult Confidants. A shame she has such a limited time in the story. Still, she has a great design, has a really interesting personality and her storyline about
her fall from grace due to the pharmaceurtical company pushing a product before it's ready was really great. I loved when she noticed that Joker was a PT. Seeing how important her support is for your case, it made a lot of sense.

7. Futaba: She has a really great storyline, but I'm a cynic that thought she was there to appeal to a certain subset of anime fans and I couldn't help but feel uncomfortable at times. Still, she is a really great (I like most Confidants, so ranking 7 isn't a bad thing!) and one that gets a lot of good moments during the story. The combination of all those factors make her a top3 character overall, but as far as Confidants are, here is where she stands.

8. Kawakami: Her Confidant is good. I took the whole Maid angle to be mostly a parody, since
she never really did anything to you besides taking your money for doing basically nothing. Most of the time, she'd either call you Master <3, says your room being dusty is part of it charm, and then leaves.
But I think the Maid stuff should have ended sooner, the Mementos request should have been given before and we should have got some levels about
her being a good teacher.
You people that romanced her are all awful human beings though.

9. Chihaya: She isn't badly written, the whole thing about her challenging you to change fate was amusing, and while her Confidant storyline isn't the best of them all, it has its moments like how she starts at level 9
yelling to people in her hometown accent
. She is the adult character that makes the most sense to me, TBH.

10. Hifumi: Some people are going to kill me for this lol, but I didn't really liked her much. Her storyline is well written, and probably should be ahead of Chihaya and Kawakami, but I liked those 2 characters more, so whatever! Still, parents projecting her own desires and dreams to her children even if they want nothing to do with them is an interesting topic that happens rather often. She could have got some extra time though.

11. Makoto: Maybe it's because she was really, really well written in the story, but her Confidant was a let down. The whole Eiko stuff should have finished earlier, I hated with passion the level 5 Charm lock (I mean, at least proficiency is easier to level up and Haru appears later) and they missed the chance to flesh out both her a Sae a bit. She is a great character, but a really disapointing Confidant.

12. Ann: You know, I genuinely like Ann. But her Confidant is a mess that needs to be rewriten. It's three Confidants in one: Shiho, Mika and her. And as such it suffers. There are some genuinely great scenes there, like when she goes at level 7
to the gym with you and Ryuji.

13. Ohya: I don't hate her. She is fucked up, yeah, but she has reasons to be fucked up. She is awful and offers a 17 year old to drink, but whatever, when I was 17 years old I already drank alcohol anyway. Her boss trying to
make her quit by giving her too much work and deadlines that were too tight
was a really neat detail. Despite not going to deep in the whole problems that there are in journalism, which is a really interesting topic by itself, but it does good enough. (Please don't associate me with certain Internet groups for that sentence). I wish the game would have done something more with the fact that you are in touch with a journalist, but her gameplay perks were really underwhelming. Still, I think both her and Yoshida are really important characters too max because they are the ones that LATE GAME SPOILER
should be able to help you more to get you out of juvie.

14. Mishima: He may think he is my best friend, but I can't say the same. It's the kind of person I'd never bother to meet after highschool. Unless LATE CONFIDANT SPOILERS
her Phantom Thieves' book/documentary thing makes him rich.

N/A Iwai and Shinya. I haven't finished them.

MoonFrog

Hmmm... my thoughts were on the last page, but if I were to put numbers to them, it'd go something like this:

Adults

1-Sojiro
2-Iwai
3-Tae
4-Yoshida
5-Kawakami
6-Ohya
7-Chihaya

Kawakami is where mixed feelings start there and Ohya is where I started not to like the confidant.

Kids

1) Ryuji
2) Mishima (it is worth repeating, I don't like Mishima)
3) Futaba
4) Yusuke
5) Makoto
6) Hifumi
7) Shinya
8) Ann
9) Haru

Makoto's is complicated to place. I don't think it is so bad as it is made out to be. It has some genuinely great conversations and doesn't really have awful ones. It is also going somewhere and somewhere that makes sense for the character...but the storyline is not very well utilized to push alone time with Makoto where you hear from her directly (and some of the conversations feel cut-off to me, so I think they had the space even ignoring working to make it). Notably, the "great conversations" I mentioned above are those when you do hear from her about herself directly. They should've cut and condensed some stuff and done some more (explicit) character work.

Maybe my list should be Shinya and Hifumi over Makoto.

Ann and Haru is also complicated for me. Ann has better dialogue options and rapport, whereas Haru is pretty bad in those respects. She seems to like anything and I just felt like a fly on the wall that she liked to have around and wanted to be happy with her. Haru, however, has a narrative that does some interesting things with her father, grandfather, and employees. Ann's story is extremely unfocused and doesn't pick up cleanly from act 1.

But...in Mitsuru's link your role in it all was very clear, whereas I really did not get why Haru sought me out and the main narrative didn't supply a reason. Also, I really feel they dealt with Haru's dad poorly. The emotional fallout after palace 5 just isn't there. And I get he was a controversial figure but...

I give the edge to Ann mostly because I like Ann better, but I also think the technical aspect of her social link is overlooked.

Haru's also has the distinction of being the only I disliked in this second list. I have mixed feelings about Ann's and I do think Makoto's fell short of its potential (which was potential to be number 1, on this list, at least :p). The rest are varying degrees of competent in my mind. (That is, Makoto's, Ann's, and Haru's all have their ways in which they are clearly flawed in my mind).

Overall list:

1-Sojiro
2-Iwai
3-Tae
4-Yoshida
5-Ryuji
6-Mishima
7-Futaba
8-Yusuke
9-Makoto
10-Hifumi
11-Shinya
12-Kawakami
13-Ann
14-Haru
15-Ohya
16-Chihaya

Again, my thoughts were on the previous page.

For what it's worth, here is how I rank them, with a very brief run-down for the top 10 as to why:

1. Yoshida - I've never really had much love for the previous Sun arcana, but Yoshida was such a breath of fresh air to a game that so venomously antagonises 'shitty adults'. To be honest he's tied with Sojiro, however, of the two seeing Yoshida continuously take so much shit en masse during the earlier ranks tips it a bit in his favour.

2. Sojiro - As mentioned, he very much deserves the top spot, however the amount of nights you have to invest just to rank up at times put me off, and a lot of his story only shines in the latter half of his ranks. He has gone from a nice spin on the dad figure of Dojima, to actually being a more caring and considerate parent than Dojima was for much of P4.

3. Haru - Had to follow this up in the NG+, but thoroughly disappointed that I prioritised other Cofndants over her now all is said and done. Haru (well, a lot of the confidants but particularly Haru) excels at getting a resolution by taking action, and for a lot of her story you are merely a spectator, which in cases like hers, where her problems are solved literally by speaking her mind to the right people, is very much appreciated. Also, another tip of the hat to the game showing that not all adults are scum, kids...

4. Yusuke - Speaking of which, very similar praise can be added to Yusuke's story after Madarame. He sits below Haru in this regard as the 'antagonist' for much of his Confidant felt too much like we were simply retreading old ground with regards to Yusuke being used as a means to an end. However, again, a lot of his agency is apparent as he seems to solve a lot of his own solutions.

5. Ryuji - Yet again, agency from your friend shines here, with Ryuji having more competence and tact than his entire career as a Phantom Thief. Compared to the two team mates sitting above him, his problems are far more reflective, and don't actively threaten his future livelihood, however it is a very bitter-sweet epilogue to Yamoshida's crimes at the school. In all fairness, there is more emotional charge here than I'd have expected from Ryuji.

6. Futaba - She ranks a touch lower than the others simply because I feel, even at the end of her confidant, there was not enough growth and independence on show by her. Not that I dislike her relationship with Joker by the end, but moreso hers is a confidant I wanted to see more of, like I feel her rank 10 could very easily have been a rank 7, and we follow her more past where she ended. Incidentally, an older, more emotionally strong Futaba is someone I'd love to see a spin-off of.

7. Takemi - I was all set up to believe this was the best S.Link I'd had in a long time, it has such a shady set-up, with one of the best designed girls in the series, and yet Takemi is a victim of her place in the calendar. By the time the meat of her story is beginning to show, several other confidants begin to litter your day - several of which are just as enticing as hers, for different reasons.

8. Kawakami - I love this confidant route, partly as it's so darkly comedic to me. I have genuine sympathy for a well-meaning person who has been emotionally beaten to a pulp, but the overt fetishism that triggers this story, along with the potential hypocrisy on display by both you and her throughout the story made me 'game' this link like no other. I could not help by try every abusive line of text for a laugh, then reload to play it seriously, and her perks to save time for the player's evenings weren't every really used that much, but I tried each one to see the lunacy of your teacher being your servant. Had the maid stuff been dialled down, and more of her story was linked to her in school, I'd have ranked her higher.

9. Makoto - I never felt the jarring lock on the latter half of her confidant route, as I had put some serious work on charm by the time Makoto needed me to be her 'boyfriend'. I loved her prior to her confidant story, for reasons myself and countless others have expressed online already, and I was excited at the prospect that rather than being the object of her stalking, we'd be her accomplice in stalking and intruding on someone elses life - for shits and giggles of course. For someone so lovingly dorky in her own investigations on you, I felt her 'helping' Eiko a little too tepid and weak.

10. Ann - Ann during the opening arc was phenomenal, easily my favourite girl in the series. I've said it before, but she, without having to be attractive, was the single most prominent presence in every single scene she was in, from taking her hood off to sparing Kamoshida's life, she had such sombre and powerful presence I felt Atlus had written the best heroine for this series ever. Then... her confidant route. It wasn't bad, it had me chuckling at times, but it just felt so listless after seeing such a focused and determined girl in the opening story.

As for the following, I either haven't completed, or don't feel overly expressive on them one way or another.
11. Hifumi
12. Iwai
13. Mishima
14. Shinya
15. Chihaya
16. Ohya

MoonFrog

What depresses me about Ann is how, from conversations above, it seems that dating her fills in and colors the social link with the very stuff I felt was absent from it.

9. Makoto - I never felt the jarring lock on the latter half of her confidant route, as I had put some serious work on charm by the time Makoto needed me to be her 'boyfriend'. I loved her prior to her confidant story, for reasons myself and countless others have expressed online already, and I was excited at the prospect that rather than being the object of her stalking, we'd be her accomplice in stalking and intruding on someone elses life - for shits and giggles of course. For someone so lovingly dorky in her own investigations on you, I felt her 'helping' Eiko a little too tepid and weak.

This is an intriguing angle and tbh helps me a bit. I feel the host conversations aren't bad but aren't anything special either and you hit it on the head how they could've been special. I've been so focused on looking into the criticism that you don't get enough love or personal details from Makoto, which I think has some merit, but which I don't completely agree with.

So much has been basically problems with the existence of the Eiko storyline, which...idt is that problematic in its existence. Hmmm...this is interesting what you are saying.

Mediking

From what I've seen so far and from just getting back from the school trip in
Hawaii...

Ann is somewhat interested in Ryuji.

Ryuji might be too dumb to realize he has a shot with Ann instead of drooling about her body every now and then.

Makoto is interested in Joker.

Morgana does like Ann (duh).

Futaba is seriously more of a little sister to Joker. If you romance her... uhhhhh.....

BONUS WAIFU TIME!

Heart was pounding in excitement when Makoto was trying
hack Sae's computer while Sae
was taking a bath! ;D

Top Bottom