• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Futaba in as second female on the list. Alright, alright.

No one cares about Ann. It is known.

giphy.gif

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The real crime--aside Haru being so low, wtf people can't appreciate exquisiteness when they see one!--is Akechi being at the top.

Blergh.

He served his purpose as fujoshi bait, I guess, bleh.

Anyway, I also prefer Tae to Kawakami, so on that note I agreed with Japan and I'm Glad things turned out this way.

Inappropriate doctor relationship > Inappropriate teacher relationship.

While it's expected, I'm saddened by Hifumi not being higher, but #6 ain't that bad

To be fair it's only a 7 votes difference between him and Tae. That's way closer than I imagined, I had assumed it was going to be a landslide.

kareem01899

Neo Member
My eyes started tearing up when I saw Ann near the bottom. How could they treat her like that?! Even though I had my relationship with Ann I agree with Tae and Kawakami's spots because I like them a ton.

PK Gaming

Akechi likely would have taken #2 if he was ranked alongside the Phantom Thieves, lmao.

Results are alright. I'm glad Yusuke ranked highly. Ryuji being that low sucks, but people have garbage taste so it's a natural consequence. Joker's probably the only protagonist who actually deserves to be #1.

Ann... I feel bad for Ann, all around.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I guess I'm one of the few people here that likes Ann. I personally really liked her as character and she was my most powerful damage dealer.

Sandfox

So why am reviving this thread now?

The Persona 5 Maniax fanbook comes out today and with it, the results for the two character polls that was conducted prior to the book's release. Here are the results and the respective number of votes.

Phantom Thieves
1 Joker - 691
2 Makoto - 346
3 Yusuke - 244
4 Futaba - 213
5 Morgana -135
6 Haru - 117 (What.)
7 Ann - 70 (The.)
8 Ryuji - 64
https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/893227803461767169

Confidants
1 Akechi - 350
2 Tae - 343
3 Sojiro - 279
4 Kawakami -184
5 Toranosuke - 179
6 Hifumi - 150
7 Iwai - 81
8 Sae - 59
9 Mishima -55
10 Chihaya - 43
11 Igor - 35
12 Shinya - 33
13 Caroline - 31
14 Justine - 27
15 Ohya -2 (HAH.)
https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/893231586661060608

Interesting Poll Data
Respondent Gender - 51% Female, 49% Male
Age Group - 20s - 56%, 30s - 20%, 10s - 20%, 40s - 3.5%, 50s - 0.5%

So how did your favorites do? Did you see this coming?

That's pretty much exactly what I expected, though I thought Hifumi would be a spot higher with Sojiro and Kawakami being a toss up.

I guess I'm one of the few people here that likes Ann. I personally really liked her as character and she was my most powerful damage dealer.
None I know likes Ann and she's probably the female character I see people talk about least online.

JMY86

I guess I'm the only one here that likes Ann? I personally really liked her as character and she was my most powerful damage dealer.

I liked Ann I don't get all the hate she receives and her higher tier spells are fucking insane. The only Phantom Thieves I did not like were Morgana and of course useless Ryuji.

Akechi was a mistake, he's nothing but trash. I suppose it could have been worse, he ould have been included with the Phantom Thieves in the poll.

LotusHD

Banned

It's not about not liking Ann, I'm pretty sure most people are fine with her. It's just that... the other characters were more popular lol

Haru also beating her is maybe slightly surprising, but other than that, meh, Ann pretty much stops being relevant after the first arc in the game. Had no desire to hang out with her or anything. She's just very inoffensive and forgettable compared to everyone else imo

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I liked Ann I don't get all the hate she receives and her higher tier spells are fucking insane. The only Phantom Thieves I did not like were Morgana and of course useless Ryuji.

Yeah Morgana was useless to me in battle. I used Makoto, She might not be as good as Morgana as a healer but she had nice buff skills which to me is much more important in a boss fight.

JMY86

Yeah Morgana was useless to me in battle. I used Makoto, She might not be as good as Morgana as a healer but she had nice buff skills which to me is much more important in a boss fight.

Same here. I cut Morgana loose as soon as Makoto joined and never used the cat again except to heal the party in dungeons.

cheez124

I really like Ann and would definitely place her and Ryuji higher up. She and Makoto almost never left my party.

Maybe it's just her lack of relevance to the plot after the first dungeon? But Haru has a similar issue, in addition to appearing late in the game, so idk

PK Gaming

The only time I see people talk about her when they thrash her for how poorly her character is handled, thrash her for losing relevance, and thrash her for her inconsistent social link.

POOR ANN!

Lynx_7

Reposting from the OT
They just released the entire list with polls for scenes, favorite personas, etc.

Here are Japan's favorite non-confidant characters:

Lala Escargot (159 votes)
Lavenza (158 votes)
Shiho Suzui (146 votes)
Masayoshi Shido (80 votes)
Newspaper Club Member (79 votes)
Suguru Kamoshida (64 votes)
Mr. Hiruta (54 votes)
Young Rocker (24 votes)
Mika (18 votes)
Old Man at the Bathhouse (17 votes)
President Tanaka (17 votes)
Junya Kaneshiro (16 votes)
Ichiryusai Madarame (16 votes)
Real Igor (15 votes)
Scruffy Romantic & Beefy Trendsetter (14 votes)

It's great that even Japan likes Lala and doesn't care for the two awful stereotypes.

Zukkoyaki

This is the first of the modern Persona's where I genuinely liked the entire party. 3 and 4 both had at least one stinker (Fuuka and Ken, and Yosuke respectively).

In terms of battle I used Yusuke and Haru until near the end when Ann and Ryuji become damage dealing monsters. Then I rolled with those two and Makoto.

Lynx_7

Ann's level 9 confidant scene was one of the best tbh. Still, I think the non-party members characters generally had the better confidants overall, with some exceptions. Toranosuke, Iwai, Sojiro, Tae and Mishima were my favorites.

Lynx_7

I'm kinda mad Cu Chulainn isn't a top 10 Persona but whatever at least he's there. Why is Shiki Ouji so high though.
I was gonna say Loki in the top 5 is great since he's always been one of my favorite demons in the franchise, but then I realized why he's there and went like "oh, right".

Only real surprising thing is the Loli Twins being ranked so low. I figured Japan would've ranked them higher.

Ann ranking so low among the Phantom Thieves isn't too surprising.

Compared to the other thieves, especially the Makoto, Yusuke, and Futaba, she really does have that prominent of a quirk or character archetype. Makoto's the badass student council president who is secretly a dork. Yusuke is fucking weird (in a good way), Futaba is the little sister otaku. Ann is...nice? Not saying that's a bad thing either but I feel like she was designed to be attractive foreign character, but in a game with numerous attractive female designs, it only makes her stand out less.

Top Bottom