• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

MoonFrog

BEFORE I CRUSH IT.

Seriously. Its an act. The girl is dangerous.

See...they could have played to this in an expanded story on her dad. Haru has the ruthless capitalist in her too, but you only really get that from colored text.

TBC, she's obviously NOT her dad, but they could have played to some commonalities.

crimson when

I honestly think it has nothing to do with Makoto.

a) What I am talking about in my posts is already observable in the Madarame arc. Her character doesn't slip when Makoto shows up. It slips as soon as her story is done. (The distinction between Kamoshida/Ann and the comical take on Yusuke/Ann is extremely huge and signifies the movement of Ann's character. As does her social link opening up).
b) Makoto does take the lead in, say, the Futaba arc from a "let's go talk to Futaba and get something done perspective." She also fails to communicate with Futaba, leaving you, and, actually, Ann to do a lot of the talking that actually moves Futaba.

Ann isn't smothered by Makoto, she just disappoints her early character.

They could have kept Ann going and added Makoto and then Futaba and then Haru.

Futaba is also proof that characters can survive sharing air with Makoto. So are Ryuji and Morgana (the latter two continue to have regular significance, even if Ryuji's main story arc is annoying as hell).

I don't think EVERY scene was...I do enjoy super nice Ann and her social link had its amusing moments...I just wish that they had kept greater continuity with her Kamoshida arc.

And her goofiness is nice in a certain way. It is nice that she is in such a markedly better and looser mood. I just wish there'd been more of an underbelly to it all.

Like one small tweak that could've been done to Ann's confidant to bring it full circle with her arc with Kamoshida is that instead of having Mika be the antagonist of it, have it be an overly obsessive fan. Bounce off the empowerment she feels with being a model with her feeling uncertain about the career path due to the type of fans she unintentionally attracts.

Or even, instead of Mika being a rival model, have her be a fellow student who looks down on Ann's chosen career path because she considers it degrading. That would tie-in to Ann experiencing her classmates more or less slut-shaming her. And with the resolution Ann still ends up respecting her because she considers Mika's blunt honesty to remind her of Shiho.

MoonFrog

Haru clearly plays to what she thinks a guy wants her to be with you.

She also is put into a bad situation. She is horribly misused by her dad and has no immediate and clear friends within the company upon his death.

She plays the lost girl to you a bit, but what is more going on is that she has a positive idea of the company she wants to run and she is trying to take control but doesn't know who she can trust and share that power with, within the company.

Nothing wrong with that.

She enjoys control (all the "I love shadows pleading with me" sort of stuff) and she's ambitious. These are qualities she shares with her father. Obviously moderated by her own experience of her father and she is more inclined to build up a luxury brand, modeling it as an upscale version of her grandfather's cafe, rather than to try and market at scale like her father.

The pursuit of ever-increasing scale is what drove a lot of her father's vicious excesses.

Another thing they highlight is that she has an iron stomach (her reaction to the horror movie and her interest in "torturing" shadows), which is another thing she tries to hide a bit and is, again, reminiscent of her father.

She's sort of has two masks that are almost set square atop each other but are a bit at angles, so you can see them both in the right moments.

Like one small tweak that could've been done to Ann's confidant to bring it full circle with her arc with Kamoshida is that instead of having Mika be the antagonist of it, have it be an overly obsessive fan. Bounce off the empowerment she feels with being a model with her feeling uncertain about the career path due to the type of fans she unintentionally attracts.

Or even, instead of Mika being a rival model, have her be a fellow student who looks down on Ann's chosen career path because she considers it degrading. That would tie-in to Ann experiencing her classmates more or less slut-shaming her. And with the resolution Ann still ends up respecting her because she considers Mika's blunt honesty to remind her of Shiho.

That's an interesting idea...I do think it would tie her confidant in better, which would go a long way towards what I'm talking about.

MoonFrog

What I guess I'd also say is--this sort of "other side" to Haru, I'm not sure how deep it is supposed to go...because it is left mostly to color text and interpretation and I'm not sure how much ruthless, violent Haru is just an "anime" joke/quirk and how much it says about her dreams and ambitions.

She also clearly has a heart for the weak, like with Morgana. She was quite deep in his corner.

So I think she'd be a compassionate capitalist, but a dogged one.

TBH, this conversation about Ann is making me appreciate what they do with Haru a bit more.

A lot of what is going on in her story ties into the things I was saying about Kamoshida Ann...

Hmmm...I have to think about this more.

Huh. So during the
Hawaii trip
I got the option to hang out with Hifumi (who I dated in my first run). I honestly wasn't expecting that. It's played COMPLETELY romantically, which makes me feel like I was cheating on Chihaya (who I decided to date this run... sorry Haru T_T).

Mediking

Wow. It took forever but I finally managed to get Haru to Baton Pass to Joker. She does this cute little run thing to Joker and my heart melted....

So I'm starting to think Haru is pretty cute, in particular after initiating her Social Link. When it comes to party members I think Futaba is just a little too high maintenance for me. I don't want to write Ann off yet but like yall said she was a bit of a fall off after the opening of the game. Makoto then makes a big splash but at the same time I feel like something is missing there.

So yeah after locking down Becky I feel like Haru might be the choice when it comes to the party members.

Sayad

So I'm starting to think Haru is pretty cute, in particular after initiating her Social Link. When it comes to party members I think Futaba is just a little too high maintenance for me. I don't want to write Ann off yet but like yall said she was a bit of a fall off after the opening of the game. Makoto then makes a big splash but at the same time I feel like something is missing there.

So yeah after locking down Becky I feel like Haru might be the choice when it comes to the party members.
She really is, and unlike Ann/Makoto, she only get better as you progress her confidante.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Did I miss all this subtext with Haru? I didn't know she said all that stuff about torturing shadows.

I mostly liked her because she was cute. It was nice having a cheerful, bubbly girl around to help bring things up, considering how grim the plot gets after a while.

Her character icon on the party/level up screen is also nice. Everyone else has a cool, badass or stoic expression. Haru's icon comes up and it's A MILLION DOLLAR SMILE.

I originally wanted to date Makoto in my playthrough because I think she's really cool, but I reloaded from a previous save after I thought her level 9 confidant conversation felt like it had absolutely no romantic chemistry with the MC. She seemed outright blindsided by the MC's offer to start dating, as if there was nothing there before, and I thought it was a huge turnoff.

MoonFrog

How don't the others get better?

Tbf, I do think Ann/Makoto confidants are a bit of a weak link in their romances, in that you need to read into them romantic intent, which, while substantiated by their character and post-confidant scenes, isn't as well put together as one would hope.

Take Makoto. I obviously read it as romantic, but I do think it'd have been better and clearer if there had been more of an emotional point to it, instead of her just sneaking in a probe for confession. The latter would've been better if you had seen her expose her interest in some more explosive/obvious way.

Haru is in a different way: her romance and character is largely restricted to her confidant. Personally, I wasn't swayed by it as a romance (and don't find it markedly more romantic or revealing of Haru) and I don't think her material "need" for a replacement-fiance is a very romantic thing (rather I think it is something to put romance in a strange box, perhaps an interesting box, but it itself isn't romantic), but the latter is a thing she has over the other romances, which people seem to appreciate.

Makoto/Ann are very much JUST about an emotional loveline (one that is perhaps opaque), whereas with Futaba you have romance pushed by her clingy "need" for you, and with Haru you have her "need" you to save her.

But I don't think they lay the emotional groundwork any better in Haru's link.

Did I miss all this subtext with Haru? I didn't know she said all that stuff about torturing shadows.

I mostly liked her because she was cute. It was nice having a cheerful, bubbly girl around to help bring things up, considering how grim the plot gets after a while.

Her character icon on the party/level up screen is also nice. Everyone else has a cool, badass or stoic expression. Haru's icon comes up and it's A MILLION DOLLAR SMILE.

I originally wanted to date Makoto in my playthrough because I think she's really cool, but I reloaded from a previous save after I thought her level 9 confidant conversation felt like it had absolutely no romantic chemistry with the MC. She seemed outright blindsided by the MC's offer to start dating, as if there was nothing there before, and I thought it was a huge turnoff.

That's what her battle quotes are about and what, say, her movie date scene reinforces. As I said, they handled that side of Haru poorly, imo, and I don't think we really know what it is.

As to the bolded, I think a lot of people had that experience, and it makes some sense. They bungled the link a bit. The post I link to above gives my account of the romance and why I think that, despite this aspect of her confidant, it is a great love line.

Akuun

Interesting. I read Haru's and Makoto's confidant stories with the opposite undertones.

Outside of the whole "pretend to be my boyfriend" thing, Makoto's story felt like it had absolutely no romantic undertones to me. Even the whole pretending to be a boyfriend thing just fell by the wayside in very short order. Her story felt so devoid of romance to me that I think with some small variations (mostly making up different excuses for you to be there), it could have easily worked just as well if it was, say, a guy asking you to help him look out for his friend/sister/etc. who may be hanging out with the wrong company. Even at the level 10 friendship conversation, Makoto's discussion with you makes it sound like she values your input and judgement, but there's still that arm's length distance there. I felt a degree of emotional distance between her and the MC throughout her story, and that killed the potential for romance in my mind.

Haru's route felt more romantic to me because you could see her growing closer to the MC as her story went on. I don't think she saw the MC as a replacement fiance, but rather as a friend, and she just gradually grew closer to that friend as time went on. Yes, she compares the MC to her fiance repeatedly, but it's more like "wow, I've been around that dickhead for so long that I had almost forgotten that there are decent people like you" sort of way. I didn't see her as specifically looking for a replacement, but rather the MC just sort of became a replacement as a side effect to her growing closer to him. Her attraction to the MC is much more overt than anything you see in Makoto's story.

Futaba is just out of the question to me as a romantic partner, because she's just too innocent and emotionally immature. Her attraction to the MC struck me as a sort of side effect to her being a shut-in for so long, and emotionally clinging to the first person who got her out. It feels too much like she had been desperately lonely for too long, and mistakes her first friendship after getting out as a crush. Choosing to date her seemed like it was taking advantage of an uneven level of emotional maturity. It felt manipulative to try to date her - and almost like grooming - so I steered clear of it.

MoonFrog

Interesting. I read Haru's and Makoto's confidant stories with the opposite undertones.

Outside of the whole "pretend to be my boyfriend" thing, Makoto's story felt like it had absolutely no romantic undertones to me. Even the whole pretending to be a boyfriend thing just fell by the wayside in very short order. Her story felt so devoid of romance to me that I think with some small variations (mostly making up different excuses for you to be there), it could have easily worked just as well if it was, say, a guy asking you to help him look out for his friend/sister/etc. who may be hanging out with the wrong company. Even at the level 10 friendship conversation, Makoto's discussion with you makes it sound like she values your input and judgement, but there's still that arm's length distance there. I felt a degree of emotional distance between her and the MC throughout her story, and that killed the potential for romance in my mind.

Haru's route felt more romantic to me because you could see her growing closer to the MC as her story went on. I don't think she saw the MC as a replacement fiance, but rather as a friend, and she just gradually grew closer to that friend as time went on. Yes, she compares the MC to her fiance repeatedly, but it's more like "wow, I've been around that dickhead for so long that I had almost forgotten that there are decent people like you" sort of way. I didn't see her as specifically looking for a replacement, but rather the MC just sort of became a replacement as a side effect to her growing closer to him. Her attraction to the MC is much more overt than anything you see in Makoto's story.

Futaba is just out of the question to me as a romantic partner, because she's just too innocent and emotionally immature. Her attraction to the MC struck me as a sort of side effect to her being a shut-in for so long, and emotionally clinging to the first person who got her out. It feels too much like she had been desperately lonely for too long, and mistakes her first friendship after getting out as a crush. Choosing to date her seemed like it was taking advantage of an uneven level of emotional maturity. It felt manipulative to try to date her - and almost like grooming - so I steered clear of it.

The fake dating thing is farce and Makoto treats it as such--I actually appreciate that.

The only thing in it that hints at romance is that she does it to you without so much as a by-your-leave and then just blows through that in a rushed, embarrassed way. It seems pretty clear to me that her passions got the better of her (those she discusses in no. 7 and when you actually date her, confirming this reading), she sought to push forced intimacy with you despite herself, and then she tries to act like all is normal when you acquiesce. She goes through this pattern with your number too, which is another obvious sign of interest. She clearly wants to spend time and get to know you in particular, among your friends and she has a tendency to occasionally push this relationship harder than it is sensible to do.

Her stalking you, looking to you in conversations, putting a special emphasis on what you think, all feeds into the general picture that she is particularly interested in you.

She does these embarrassing things (in her mind) and she tries to move past them as quickly as possible. Even when you date her, going out is about the park or the food and she can't bring herself to be the "bubbly girlfriend." But get her alone and in private and she is awkwardly trying to push intimacy with you (obviously embarrassed as she does so).

Keep in mind also that if you say this sort of nonchalant dating is romantic (which you can do in the main link), Makoto likes that.

That said, I re-iterate that Makoto's romance does miss the boat with a lot of people and that is on a confidant that doesn't do all it could to make it explicit.

As to the Haru stuff...I wasn't talking how Haru comes to like you, per say. I was talking of the narrative devices in play to make the romance have an obvious place in Haru's story and it is a narrative device, of which they make ample usage. It does add surety into feeling that Haru loves you as she "needs" you.

^ imo Ann is the one that's into the MC the most.

Perhaps so, but just like Makoto...they hold this back from the player unless you really get what makes Ann tick.

I think it is worthwhile to point out that I didn't date Ann, and there is only a very subtle hint that I broke her heart (in the way she leaves after nine) and then a rather par-the-course 10. I'm guessing from above, it is the same way with Makoto.

I think Ann/Makoto are romances that require more interpretive insight than Futaba/Haru, but that insight is borne out if you date them. They just hold back in the confidant scenes, which is unfortunate as it does make the romance in the confidant itself weaker. But confidant is NOT the only context of the romances, outside Haru/Hifumi/the adults.

Akuun

Interesting - I missed all that stuff about Makoto. I do like Makoto, so maybe I'll romance her if I get around to doing a NG+ playthrough.

As for Ann, the romance is much more subtle but I did notice it (one big thing is Shiho "outing" Ann at level 9, and Ann getting flustered about it), whereas it looks like all teh stuff with Makoto flew over my head. But I don't really want to date Ann because I don't want to do that to Morgana, and I find Ann not as interesting as a character as Makoto.

I am slightly disappointed that Ann's character didn't really develop after her own story arc. She became "the hot girl" of the group, and that was was pretty much it. Sadly, the only thing that really developed about her after that was showing that she and Ryuji are actually pretty close. ...which added yet more reason to not date her.

MoonFrog

Interesting - I missed all that stuff about Makoto. I do like Makoto, so maybe I'll romance her if I get around to doing a NG+ playthrough.

As for Ann, the romance is much more subtle but I did notice it (one big thing is Shiho "outing" Ann at level 9, and Ann getting flustered about it), whereas it looks like all teh stuff with Makoto flew over my head. But I don't really want to date Ann because I don't want to do that to Morgana, and I find Ann not as interesting as a character as Makoto.

I am slightly disappointed that Ann's character didn't really develop after her own story arc. She became "the hot girl" of the group, and that was was pretty much it. Sadly, the only thing that really developed about her after that was showing that she and Ryuji are actually pretty close. ...which added yet more reason to not date her.
While I think what I said is true...it doesn't take away that her confidant should've done more. And really, that is where the romancing happens. It is mostly I think Makoto has a good love line that could've fed into a really great romance imo, but the latter doesn't deliver.

There are a lot of people in this thread who've had a similar reaction to the Makoto romance as you. I think it speaks to something about the game, but I also think Makoto does clearly love the MC. I like her and the MC/her couple enough; could really feel her interest in me; liked confessing to her at cross-roads; I still felt I was short a more emotional scene in the lead-up to that.

But idk, I also don't think her confidant is as bad as it is often seen to be. I think it is on point but the delivery is fairly middling and it could've used more conversations like 4 and 7.

I'm mixed minds on Ann myself. I really really liked her at the beginning. She was kind of a noir character. I also really enjoy how nice she is and how she's friends with the guys. But...she goes from tragic noir heroine giving into perceptions of her and actively using her sex appeal to try and manage Kamoshida to chaste, clueless airhead whose seduction technique is laughable, even if it works on Yusuke. And at the same time her body becomes something to leer at as comedy relief.

I'd have liked it better if she'd retained more awareness of her body/way people see her, even after she cheered up a bit. As is, she goes from being self-aware, world wise, and in a modicum of control despite her situation to being the 'hot chaste girl,' moving from dealing with the issues of being seen as only a sexy thing and stigmatized as a girl to the quelling the fears a guy jealous of a hot girl might have.

Mediking

I ended up romancing Makoto and man... she really does like Joker. They make a great couple. They make such a great couple that I kinda wish how a timeskip would be with them. Lol

But dang. I really wanna romance Haru in my next playthru.

Jintor

C_1L23oXUAAOie-.jpg

radiostarkiller

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I ended up romancing Makoto and man... she really does like Joker. They make a great couple. They make such a great couple that I kinda wish how a timeskip would be with them. Lol

But dang. I really wanna romance Haru in my next playthru.

I went with Haru my first time through. I did it because I thought she was charming and that I'm a contrarian.

MoonFrog

Still dreaming of an apartment building slice-of-life Persona...

Every time Sae is brought up I think of that and my seeming misunderstanding of what that was going to be and it just grows from there.

Strange tenants, people you run into everyday, meeting at the laundry or when taking out the trash, night group events (like a fire alarm or dinner party), the landlord, etc.

It could give an expanded second setting with people of all ages to go with the school setting. It'd be a way to give adult social links events in the daily slice-of-life.

Then you could have the friend and/or girl living "next door."

IDK. Most recent thing I watched with this sort of setting was Yuna's Street, which was also about a thief :p. It has me thinking very positively on the potential of this sort of setting.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just a few comments from me after playing twice and letting this sit for a while to stur in my brain.

1) Futaba is best girl and my true waifu for P5 (I romanced her first playthrough). She's just the perfect balance of quirky and endearing and I loved her Slink as I felt it was about her as a character whereas Ann/Makoto were about other people more than them.

2) Makoto is the 2nd best of the phantom thieves, she mixes the right amount of beautiful and badass in a way Ann could only dream of. As far as non-phantom thieves are concerned, I'm torn between Takemi and Kawakami.

3) Haru was introduced way too late for me to care (needed to be introduced as a character before her arc started proper ala Naoto in P4). This wasn't helped by her first Slink ability being to... grow vegetables. Yaaaaay? Such incentive. Not.

4) Maybe it's because I went to art school and therefore interacted with numerous real-life Yusukes, but everything about him fell completely flat with me as a result. He wasn't humorous or endearing, just annoying as hell.

5) Hifumi is cute but boring. If she was originally going to be a part of the team, I'm glad she was cut. Plus her story about being used by a parental figure for their own ends too closely mirrors Haru's, and would therefore be redundant if turned into a whole Palace.

6) Chihaya and Ohya do nothing for me in the slightest. Frankly neither does Ann, but that leads me to the big one.

7) Ann is a classic example of what happens when game/anime designers try way too hard to establish a specific girl as being the "main" girl. She gets a special anime cinematic introducing her, many other cinemas put her in the spotlight including the one when Joker first comes back from
juvy
. She's wearing the leather cat-suit showing the goods complete with tantalizing zippers, and sticks her ass out at every damn opportunity. And yet from what I've seen and read online (and including my own experience), virtually no one gives a phantom fuck about her. By shoving her (and her ass) in the audience's face so much, she ended up just turning me and apparently a lot of other people off as a result. I ship her with Ryuji anyway; they're like the old married couple in my eyes.

Elandyll

Banned
Finished last night (after 112 hours), and mostly loved the game, but also had some major frustrations with it, which makes me think maybe Persona games aren't my jam (I didn't think the story was particularly good, and the mechanics of the game infuriated me more than once, on top of the stretching / grindy feeling and stupid random too often unavoidable encounters with turn based combat).

Now where the game really shone for me were the confidants and relations, in spite of dodgy dialogues (I have heard the translation isn't quite up to par).

My ratings:
Morgana: 10/10 - Mona is awesome, nuf said.
Ann: 9/10 - My choice for waifu, just the rigth amount of strength, vulnerability and optimism. She seemed to make the most sense as well to me (classmate, meet her early...) and she was both cute, and had a decent arc between her best friend's ordeal and her aspirations as a top model (though extremely cliche)
Sae: 9/10 - Ruthless, cold yet passionate, if she had been available as a waifu, I might have broken my own rule for creepy relations with 16 year olds and gone with her. Beautiful, smart and decisive, she is a great "confidant". Not sure if her "conversion" made a lot of sense though.
Futaba: 8/10 - Super cute and endearing, she gave me a total little sister vibe. Which would have made dating her super creepy. Her arc with Sojjiro was great though.
Makoto: 8/10 - My other potential choice for waifu, ultimately she didn't feel "right" for the MC arc to me, though she is a very interesting character.
Ryuji: 8/10 - Super loyal, with a communicative enthusiasm, but a bit too bone headed for my taste.
Tae: 7/10 - Would also have made a decent waifu, and had an interesting arc, but quite a bit on the creepy side, complete with calling me her little guinea pig as an endearing term. I like her goth / naughty girl, that's also a genius doc side though.
Sojiro: 7/10 - Mostly redeemed through Futaba., way too much of a dick at first. Touching conclusion though.
Yoshida: 6/10 - Actually pretty original story, socially and politically involved, and interesting bonuses for negotiations and being able to capture higher lvl personas.
Oda: 5/10 - Touching story, but ... didn't do all that much for me.
Yusuke: 5/10 - Meh. Pretentious and not much of a friend unless you really, really need him. Bit of a whiner and a moocher as well.
Iwai: 5/10 - Meh. Just didn't really found him either interesting or endearing. Was just my shop owner for equipment I guess.
Haru: 5/10 - Err ... Didn't do anything for me. Decent arc with a dramatic ending, but also very bland and uninteresting to me.
Hifumi: 4/10 - Mostly Useless, and her arc was very boring. Can't avoid her though, she teaches how to swap chars in combat, as well as escape if things are bad.
Mishima: 4/10 - Meh. It's nice to have a groupie I guess.
Ohya: 3/10 - Useless, and creep. Boozing with 16 year olds in Tokyo's red light district?
Sadayo 2/10 : Managed to up the creep factor to max. A Teacher that's also a borderline prostitute (unwilling, but for really stupid reasons) ... And with her own student? Given what advantages she brings (using nighttime after a palace run, doing your laundry...) couldn't avoid her, but man ... What an icky feel.

I don't really consider Akechi, Igor or the twins "confidants per se", but I enjoyed their respective interactions (Akechi's ultimate story arc was telegraphed a mile away though)

edit: The Game ending was perfect though. 10/10, very heart warning (apparently I got the "True" ending)

I've been told that maxing out confidents is a lot easier in this game compared to P4. So that probably just means I've been awful with time management since I'm already at the last palace and am struggling to cap off just the ones I wanted to. I'll probably sacrifice finishing Ann's, Makoto's, Haru's, Ohya's and maybe Togo's since they're the ones I find the least interesting.

Someone say Haru?

DCjRlqzXYAErQrA.jpg

This is upsetting me on so many levels.

I've avoided this thread entirely while I worked on finishing the game, but I've romanced Anne and have really enjoyed that arc and the scenes post-that. God, what I would give for a Persona game that acknowledged your relationships outside of special 1-on-1 scenes.

Haven't gotten the chance to max everyone yet but most social links have been fantastic, especially those outside of the main party. Sojiro especially went from a character that was bizarre and I couldn't understand to one of my favorites.

I've been told that maxing out confidents is a lot easier in this game compared to P4. So that probably just means I've been awful with time management since I'm already at the last palace and am struggling to cap off just the ones I wanted to. I'll probably sacrifice finishing Ann's, Makoto's, Haru's, Ohya's and maybe Togo's since they're the ones I find the least interesting.

Chihaya really helps a lot.

I'm kicking myself for not finishing Iwai, Shinya, and Sojiro because I didn't start Chihaya until wayyyy late in the playthrough. I got everybody else and I think it's very doable to get everyone in one playthrough

Top Bottom