• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Mediking

QUICK!!! I think I'm about to romance Takemi! Is it okay to romance other girls in this game or is there some punishment for it? Takemi will be the 1st that Joker actually even romances.... lol

Shadic7700

Only consequence is breaking another's heart
wouldnt know I only romanced Futaba but apparently Valentine's Day is unique

Mediking

Only consequence is breaking another's heart
wouldnt know I only romanced Futaba but apparently Valentine's Day is unique

?!?! WHAT THE HELL? I JUST DID RANK 10 WITH TAKEMI! I DIDN'T GET A CHANCE TO ROMANCE HER! WHAT THE HECK? DON'T TELL ME THAT RANK 9 IS ACTUALLY THE CHANCE TO TO BECOME HER BOYFRIEND!? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

?!?! WHAT THE HELL? I JUST DID RANK 10 WITH TAKEMI! I DIDN'T GET A CHANCE TO ROMANCE HER! WHAT THE HECK? DON'T TELL ME THAT RANK 9 IS ACTUALLY THE CHANCE TO TO BECOME HER BOYFRIEND!? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Tae isn't even the best girl. Lol, calm down. If you didn't say you were there for
more than just your exams then you failed your romance with her

I thought Rank 9 was just teasing and that she wouldn't like a guy who blatantly said he loved her.....

Wow....

Dang....

Tae is so hot.... :(
Takemi and Chihaya are possible to miss the romance super early on. Chihaya you have to say the right things in ranks 2 and 3, Takemi however no one has seemed to note what exact choice fucks it up, but there is one that makes it so there is no romance come rank 9.

Someone does have the images from how Takemi Rank 9 plays out if you fucked up earlier

http://imgur.com/a/oINvf

however they dont know the trigger taht caused it.

I know the general interpretation here is that Tae is suppose to be leading you on in that rank 9 convo, but what I thought when I was playing, and after looking at that conversation again, appeared more like she was
trying to suss out a phantom theives confession from you directly.
The wording certainly seemed ambiguous enough to accommodate both interpretations, which was what I felt the playing dumb " This is all for my exams ("3";) ~ " option was there for.

MoonFrog

Takemi and Chihaya are possible to miss the romance super early on. Chihaya you have to say the right things in ranks 2 and 3, Takemi however no one has seemed to note what exact choice fucks it up, but there is one that makes it so there is no romance come rank 9.

Someone does have the images from how Takemi Rank 9 plays out if you fucked up earlier

This makes me curious. I just assumed there wasn't flagging in this game.

I wonder what you have to say.

Weirder still because the Tae thing seems so out of the blue to me. What was I supposed to have done to foster that? Hmmmm....

Link_enfant

This thread makes me curious every time because of the title. It sounds fun but I don't get the pun/reference, could anyone explain it please? :)

captainpat

Damnit I've turned down 4 love interests. 3 cause they were adults and Anne cause that just feels like I'm cucking Mona. My only shot is Makoto but it's Nov and I'm still one lvl away from max charm.

MoonFrog

Damnit I've turned down 4 love interests. 3 cause they were adults and Anne cause that just feels like I'm cucking Mona. My only shot is Makoto but it's Nov and I'm still one lvl away from max charm.

She's pretty fast, when you are over the blockade.

What about Hifumi, Haru, Futaba? Are they farther off?

If you have 5 proficiency, there really aren't any progress blocks to Haru iirc.

Tamanon

Banned
Rank 9 is where the romance choice generally is.

I mistakenly picked Chihaya on my first run. She turns into a jealous girl.

captainpat

She's pretty fast, when you are over the blockade.

What about Hifumi, Haru, Futaba? Are they farther off?

Not romancing haru or futaba and I don't wanna romance side char on my 1st run. But good to know about makoto. I'll prolly most of my free time to her.

Mediking

Interesting....

I remember a social link event with Takemi where we were at the park together. Maybe my memory is bad but I think she asked me if why did I keep visiting her. I think one of the answers was LOVE and the other was exams.... I messed up and thought exams was the teasing answer.... :(

But I gotta move on.

I'll try to romance Haru and save her from her stupid fiance.

But Sae will always be number one.

Ms. Chuono is number 2.

Haru is number 3.

Makoto is 4.

Early Ann could've been 3 but now she's 5.

MoonFrog

wait really?

I must have been a fucking flirt, cause I had to friendzone every gal but, of course, kawakami

This is the thing about romance flags...

You don't want them all to scream LOVE because...that's not how romance need work and indeed is, depending on taste, often-times less fulfilling. And this invites the problem of flags being cryptic and frustrating, lest they be rote and annoying.

At the same time...they have the potential to give the romances more structure and a stronger romantic narrative by tying the romance to a specific loveline, rather than just letting you get to that point no matter how you approach the girl.

Atlus can color a romance via the music-note options as well and let you figure out the girl that way, but you can always brute force those through gifts and extra sessions anyway.

Moreover, going along the lines above, it isn't always what makes people happy in the moment, which draws people together, at least not that alone.

So flags provide a more rigorous structuring option.

But you don't always get the benefit...I was under the impression P5 has no flags and I learn today that it does and that something I said to Tae is why she asked me if I loved her. And this is a romance I felt was shoe-horned in so the existence of a flag is really a shock. It makes me think there is some loveline I was supposedly playing to, but that certainly isn't how I experienced it. So I am curious what this flag was supposed to be as maybe knowing it would put a new perspective on the Tae romance.

But to me, it comes across as a flag adding no structure and also being completely nonobvious and unobtrusive.

So it is like, it misses the potential for frustration and herding the romance into a rote path, but it also misses the payoff of having flags.

I remember a social link event with Takemi where we were at the park together. Maybe my memory is bad but I think she asked me if why did I keep visiting her. I think one of the answers was LOVE and the other was exams.... I messed up and thought exams was the teasing answer.... :(

Yep, that's the event.

You also posted about it when it happened to you upthread iirc, so you can trust your memory :p.

MoonFrog

Continuing my thoughts on Ann from the last page...

I was somewhat disappointed with the "body" story surrounding Ann.

In the Kamoshida arc, the supposition is that she's a slut because she is blonde, part foreign, and has a nice body. The point though was to subvert this understanding of her, which it does but yet...I feel this story is tabled.

What it does continue to do is remove the idea that she wants to do something with her body. Her social link and general conduct are tied up in this narrative about her being naive about her sex appeal. Ann's issues with being reduced to body are played as a cutesy, chaste playfulness from the Madarame arc on and she is routinely used as the object of male lust, including that of the MC (player willing or not), which is also played for humor.

It is an odd tonal shift around what is a serious issue and one that subverts her being stereotyped as the slut by turning her into a sort of clueless bombshell, which tends to speak more to a jealous male's concerns about her rather than her own concerns about how she's perceived.

They took Ann and her issues quite seriously for the Kamoshida arc but in its aftermath this aspect of her experience isn't taken seriously.

So that aspect of Ann's depiction disappointed me and is part of the general shift from thoughtful, depressed, lonely depiction of Ann to airheaded Ann that I just find too stark. I wish there'd continued to be a more serious eye on her even as she cheered up and the goofy eye appeared.

Mediking

Welp. Just romanced Makoto. It was sweet. I truly want Haru but she's just rank 5 right now... I gotta get her up to rank 10 so I can romance her!!!

I decided to call Kawakami when she says... "Hii, Becky is sooo drenched and wet right now-- wait, it's you." ;D

And what's the consequence of being in a relationship now? Do people treat Joker differently now? And is doing a harem a bad thing?

Sayad

Welp. Just romanced Makoto. It was sweet. I truly want Haru but she's just rank 5 right now... I gotta get her up to rank 10 so I can romance her!!!

I decided to call Kawakami when she says... "Hii, Becky is sooo drenched and wet right now-- wait, it's you." ;D

And what's the consequence of being in a relationship now? Do people treat Joker differently now? And is doing a harem a bad thing?
Relationships are kept secret for the sake of the plot.

And regardless of the harem consequences, you have no other choice now because you can't possibly turn down Haru.

MoonFrog

I think Haru is a straight shot. Don't remember ever having to change hearts or do extra sessions. If you have 5 days she is available left, you can do her.

And regardless of the harem consequences, you have no other choice now because you can't possibly turn down Haru.

You can :p.

Mediking

Continuing my thoughts on Ann from the last page...

I was somewhat disappointed with the "body" story surrounding Ann.

In the Kamoshida arc, the supposition is that she's a slut because she is blonde, part foreign, and has a nice body. The point though was to subvert this understanding of her, which it does but yet...I feel this story is tabled.

What it does continue to do is remove the idea that she wants to do something with her body. Her social link and general conduct are tied up in this narrative about her being naive about her sex appeal. Ann's issues with being reduced to body are played as a cutesy, chaste playfulness from the Madarame arc on and she is routinely used as the object of male lust, including that of the MC (player willing or not), which is also played for humor.

It is an odd tonal shift around what is a serious issue and one that subverts her being stereotyped as the slut by turning her into a sort of clueless bombshell, which tends to speak more to a jealous male's concerns about her rather than her own concerns about how she's perceived.

They took Ann and her issues quite seriously for the Kamoshida arc but in its aftermath this aspect of her experience isn't taken seriously.

So that aspect of Ann's depiction disappointed me and is part of the general shift from thoughtful, depressed, lonely depiction of Ann to airheaded Ann that I just find too stark. I wish there'd continued to be a more serious eye on her even as she cheered up and the goofy eye appeared.

Early P5 Ann is best Ann.

Hahah yup. I gotta save Haru from her creepy fiance. I just gotta!

MoonFrog

Yeah. I felt they did Kamoshida Ann well.

She's both conditioned and put upon in such a way as to encourage her situation, but she also puts herself in that situation (for the sake of her friend) and is trying to manage it even as it is overcoming her. It is awful and horrible and Kamoshida is taking advantage of her but she still has an active engagement with it.

The whole time she is telling you to back off and that she'll handle it. And she is playing with fire and engaging in a business she'd rather not be in, but she is engaged and doing what she thinks is incumbent on her, even if she doubts this later.

When you talk to her in a cafe you do help her have the courage to not surrender and to try and continue the song and dance without having to give Kamoshida herself, but...you don't decide that for her or take the Kamoshida situation out of her hands. She decides not to accept his request and continue as she has been.

So it is like you have an Ann who is very aware of the way she is seen and the power that gives her in a twisted situation, and even if she doesn't want to be seen that way and even if she doesn't want to be in that situation and even if she finds herself suddenly out of her depth and lost at sea, she is still, at base, conversant in what she is up to.

Moreover, they also don't play her for a complete damsel in distress, even though she has that allure. The Kamoshida palace allows her to assume agency over her situation and put it to a close.

It is a very noir-ish story and Ann is a very troubled kid who is world wise enough to be a self-endangering fool. I found her quite compelling.

And you do lift a huge cloud that's over her head, but I'd think that some of this darkness should have remained in her social link, at least.

Bladenic

Early game Ann = a hard ass bitch who slays

Post dungeon 1 Ann = she still slays but she seems to lose any edge and is just "dumb blond lolz"

Mariip

Post dungeon 1 Ann = she still slays but she seems to lose any edge and is just "dumb blond lolz"
I just realised how early game Ann was awesome and how every scene after that was a stab to the heart. She got so dumb, why?WHY?

I had no idea there were a bunch of romance flags... I thought all of them were at rank 9. Anyway, just like p4, I ended up romancing everybody.

Felt really bad on valentine's day of course.

Futaba crying was too much. Also BEFORE I CRUSH IT. 😵

Mediking

Yeah. I felt they did Kamoshida Ann well.

She's both conditioned and put upon in such a way as to encourage her situation, but she also puts herself in that situation (for the sake of her friend) and is trying to manage it even as it is overcoming her. It is awful and horrible and Kamoshida is taking advantage of her but she still has an active engagement with it.

The whole time she is telling you to back off and that she'll handle it. And she is playing with fire and engaging in a business she'd rather not be in, but she is engaged and doing what she thinks is incumbent on her, even if she doubts this later.

When you talk to her in a cafe you do help her have the courage to not surrender and to try and continue the song and dance without having to give Kamoshida herself, but...you don't decide that for her or take the Kamoshida situation out of her hands. She decides not to accept his request and continue as she has been.

So it is like you have an Ann who is very aware of the way she is seen and the power that gives her in a twisted situation, and even if she doesn't want to be seen that way and even if she doesn't want to be in that situation and even if she finds herself suddenly out of her depth and lost at sea, she is still, at base, conversant in what she is up to.

Moreover, they also don't play her for a complete damsel in distress, even though she has that allure. The Kamoshida palace allows her to assume agency over her situation and put it to a close.

It is a very noir-ish story and Ann is a very troubled kid who is world wise enough to be a self-endangering fool. I found her quite compelling.

And you do lift a huge cloud that's over her head, but I'd think that some of this darkness should have remained in her social link, at least.

I just realised how early game Ann was awesome and how every scene after that was a stab to the heart. She got so dumb, why?WHY?

Early Ann is best Ann but let's not forget who she is and what she represents.

She gets drowned by Makoto almost literally taking the spotlight as soon as she appears. This Makoto taking the spotlight thing hurts almost all the characters. Makoto has alotta "ah-ha" moments that other party members don't even have. It's not fair to them.

MoonFrog

Early Ann is best Ann but let's not forget who she is and what she represents.

She gets drowned by Makoto almost literally taking the spotlight as soon as she appears. This Makoto taking the spotlight thing hurts almost all the characters. Makoto has alotta "ah-ha" moments that other party members don't even have. It's not fair to them.

I honestly think it has nothing to do with Makoto.

a) What I am talking about in my posts is already observable in the Madarame arc. Her character doesn't slip when Makoto shows up. It slips as soon as her story is done. (The distinction between Kamoshida/Ann and the comical take on Yusuke/Ann is extremely huge and signifies the movement of Ann's character. As does her social link opening up).
b) Makoto does take the lead in, say, the Futaba arc from a "let's go talk to Futaba and get something done perspective." She also fails to communicate with Futaba, leaving you, and, actually, Ann to do a lot of the talking that actually moves Futaba.

Ann isn't smothered by Makoto, she just disappoints her early character.

They could have kept Ann going and added Makoto and then Futaba and then Haru.

Futaba is also proof that characters can survive sharing air with Makoto. So are Ryuji and Morgana (the latter two continue to have regular significance, even if Ryuji's main story arc is annoying as hell).

I don't think EVERY scene was...I do enjoy super nice Ann and her social link had its amusing moments...I just wish that they had kept greater continuity with her Kamoshida arc.

And her goofiness is nice in a certain way. It is nice that she is in such a markedly better and looser mood. I just wish there'd been more of an underbelly to it all.

Mediking

I honestly think it has nothing to do with Makoto.

a) What I am talking about in my posts is already observable in the Madarame arc. Her character doesn't slip when Makoto shows up. It slips as soon as her story is done. (The distinction between Kamoshida/Ann and the comical take on Yusuke/Ann is extremely huge and signifies the movement of Ann's character. As does her social link opening up).
b) Makoto does take the lead in, say, the Futaba arc from a "let's go talk to Futaba and get something done perspective." She also fails to communicate with Futaba, leaving you, and, actually, Ann to do a lot of the talking that actually moves Futaba.

Ann isn't smothered by Makoto, she just disappoints her early character.

They could have kept Ann going and added Makoto and then Futaba and then Haru.

Futaba is also proof that characters can survive sharing air with Makoto. So are Ryuji and Morgana (the latter two continue to have regular significance, even if Ryuji's main story arc is annoying as hell).

I hear you.

But Makoto truly does domimate when she comes in. Its like she has the most lines or something.

Ann is innocent. Pure hearted. Great looks. Down to earth. Strong willed.

MoonFrog

I hear you.

But Makoto truly does domimate when she comes in. Its like she has the most lines or something.

Ann is innocent. Pure hearted. Great looks. Down to earth. Strong willed.

Makoto does talk a lot and she talks a lot to the player.

Her, Morgana, and Ryuji talk the most, I'd estimate.

Also...I do like Ann a lot. Part of what I'm grappling with. I think she could have been better used and she had more cooking underneath than they used for the majority of the game.

MoonFrog

My sister really dislikes Makoto because she hates "smart" characters in games, but I honestly think Makoto is incredibly mild as that goes. Also, if I like a girl you know she is going to be extra hard on her :p.

The thing with Makoto's smarts is she is pretty speculative about things, looks to you often (even when she does not ask you directly, she does search your face as if to determine your mind), and she really isn't the fountain of everything (Morgana is also "world" smarts and Futaba gets to drop the genius bombs).

And even then, again, in, say, the Futaba arc, Makoto's smarts and leadership is what brings you to contact her, but Ryuji's brashness opens the door and it is Ann and you that end up being able to connect with her on an emotional level.

I never felt like Makoto was gifted from the plot, she felt pretty natural to me.

And there is room to operate on a level other than "having the answer."

In fairness to my sister, she also chafes against the way Makoto goes about things: organized and purposeful but also a bit nosy and, perhaps, over-involved. So there is also she doesn't want to do the things Makoto suggests even if the game acts like Makoto sought her input.

As to Ann, what I am saying on this page is meant in the context of my posts on the last page: here. I was expanding on what I meant. The gap between Kamoshida Ann and post-Kamoshida Ann is a focal point in my attempt to understand her character, but the fact of that gap isn't the entirety of my take-away from the character.

That said:

People still blaming their characters' shortcomings on Makoto huh

Yeah. I don't think Makoto being used well in the main story is to be blamed for other characters being used not as well. There is plenty of room for Ryuji, Morgana, and Futaba to flourish. Ann doesn't actually turn out too bad a performance in amount of content either and she does move the plot. That's not the issue I have with post Kamoshida Ann at all. It is isn't a quantity problem, it is a quality problem. And I don't mean that even as a value judgment, although I think it bleeds into that. Rather, I mean it as "I wish there had been more continuity in her sort of content."

Yusuke is different than Ann in that his late social link at least takes up the issues of the Madarame arc quite well and his character is consistent throughout. He does disappoint as to moving the narrative, though. But even with respect to that he does move the in-game narrative about what the Phantom Thieves are, what is and is not just, and what they should and should not be held responsible for. He does have a lot of the colored language on the organization itself.

The only character severely underwritten in the main story is Haru and that is not "because Makoto." It is because they under wrote Haru into the story.

Top Bottom